Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I applied to the Goonasssin club for Xbox One, just starting out since this game came free with my Xbox. Really hope they have more AC games like Blackflag in the works, I loved the stalking zones and having all the skills just cause Edward was a bad rear end; hate paying for the skills one by one nonsense, keep trying to double assassinate or double air assassinate out of habit leaving Arno open to so much counter attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I got these two bad boys yesterday :getin::

Although the outfit that makes me a bro with my first mate is still the best:

I will not be collecting the templar outfit though - looking all those coordinates up, all the travel and digging is beyond ridiculous.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm working on the Viking one because :black101:

so loving metal

Also: gently caress Ubisoft, I told them that the codex crack caused the game to launch without a problem so my issue shouldn't be THAT hard to fix, and they promptly told me that I was no longer eligible for support OR a refund. The loving game is on my account, I clearly didn't loving steal it.

Cunts.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 8, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CitrusFrog posted:

Agreed. Even in the first hour or so of playing it (thanks to the Codex crack, no thanks to Ubi) I noticed several occasions where his accent went sideways

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm working on the Viking one because :black101:

so loving metal

Also: gently caress Ubisoft, I told them that the codex crack caused the game to launch without a problem so my issue shouldn't be THAT hard to fix, and they promptly told me that I was no longer eligible for support OR a refund. The loving game is on my account, I clearly didn't loving steal it.

Cunts.
lol

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, being unable to play legitimately purchased games because of your lovely front end integration is so totally :lol:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Whoops, platinumed Unity and for the most part had fun doing it :P

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My nephew has it on the Xbone and it does look like fun, despite having to be a Frenchie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Holy poo poo that Rogue-Unity connection. People who liked the story of Unity have to play Rogue.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo that Rogue-Unity connection. People who liked the story of Unity have to play Rogue.

In hindsight it really bugs me that Rogue makes a big point to tie into Unity at the end but Unity makes no effort to tie into Rogue.

Would it have killed them to have even a brief glance of Shay in the overlapping scene?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I finished the main campaign of unity a couple days, I've been progressing through Dead Kings now. It's pretty good, it might be one of my favourite Assassin's Creed. Although the main story is kind of a personal one, the co-op and paris stories allow you to still get a feel for revolutionary paris, and the co-op missions are most of the historical events. The parkour is phenomenal, I found it really fluid and I was able to go where I wanted the great majority of the time.
As for people saying that Arno lacked a personality, I disagree. You get to understand him best when he's been kicked out of the brotherhood. He retreats into a bottle, because with his father dying young, and his adopted father dying because of a mistake he made, he doesn't really have positive role models. He's an aimless individual, but that's because his whole life has been in the lap of luxury. His only motivation is trying to right his wrong, and to protect Elise who he loves. You could argue that's kind of limited, but I think that's plenty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

macnbc posted:

In hindsight it really bugs me that Rogue makes a big point to tie into Unity at the end but Unity makes no effort to tie into Rogue.

Would it have killed them to have even a brief glance of Shay in the overlapping scene?
I agree but I guess there's Shay's outfit in Unity and you can round around looking all Templar. That counts for something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok I finished up the legendary ship battles and bought all properties. I think I'm done with Rogue, it was a really cool game.

The only real complaint I have is that the in-game economy is entirely hosed. You need metal and cloth for both ship upgrades and buying properties and you can only get those resources via ship battles. Why Ubisoft? Why not let the properties generate those resources instead, why not give the player a choice of the income path - those who like fighting would hit the seas, those who like simple economy would get more fun out of it. I mean the devs customized the properties which is cool so it would have been great if those mines generated metal, forest huts produced wood and tanneries/shipyards generated cloth. Instead we got all those money sources that you don't need after a while and you have to grind the seas for resource scraps. It's not a big deal in the end but just felt like dumb Ubisoft game design to me. Even letting us buy the resources in a store would have been better.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is Unity fixed yet?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is Unity fixed yet?

As "fixed" as it will ever be. They removed the Initiates/Companion locks on all of the chests in the game, so you can open those without any issues if you really want to I guess? Aside from that, the game is mostly the same, I feel. Some content "updates" here and there to make certain parts run smoother but it's the same game.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I meant framerate more than anything else.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
The performance was vaguely passable when I dragged out forward on my 7770 1gb but during the fancier scenes with huge crowds it cried.

It's forever gonna be a horrid engine wanting to allocate 3gb of textures on boot though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I meant framerate more than anything else.

It's better, but you still need a really good rig to run the game well at max settings.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

Ok I finished up the legendary ship battles and bought all properties. I think I'm done with Rogue, it was a really cool game.

The only real complaint I have is that the in-game economy is entirely hosed. You need metal and cloth for both ship upgrades and buying properties and you can only get those resources via ship battles. Why Ubisoft? Why not let the properties generate those resources instead, why not give the player a choice of the income path - those who like fighting would hit the seas, those who like simple economy would get more fun out of it. I mean the devs customized the properties which is cool so it would have been great if those mines generated metal, forest huts produced wood and tanneries/shipyards generated cloth. Instead we got all those money sources that you don't need after a while and you have to grind the seas for resource scraps. It's not a big deal in the end but just felt like dumb Ubisoft game design to me. Even letting us buy the resources in a store would have been better.

Yeah, when all I had left to do was finish renovating the entire world I was really wishing there was some way to buy metal, even at a ridiculous markup

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Rogue's PS3 PSN price was slashed from $59.99 to $39.99 today, if anyone still really wanted to try it out on a console.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, I totally flip-flopped on Chronicles--are there any preorder deals in the US? The GetGamesGo or whatever won't let me check out with it

Orv
May 4, 2011
Chinacreed is out. It's a hair short of 3.5GB. Maybe it's good?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Orv posted:

Chinacreed is out. It's a hair short of 3.5GB. Maybe it's good?

I asked in the Steam thread, but it'll probably get lost in the noise: How do Unity season pass holders go about getting their copy?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Restart your uplay.

Well it worked for me.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
If I have black flag on the ps3, is it worth getting on the ps4?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

idiotmeat posted:

If I have black flag on the ps3, is it worth getting on the ps4?

There's some extra graphical effects (more smoke and rain), and it's higher resolution (1080p), but otherwise they're completely identical.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Chronicles: China is actually pretty fun and well thought-out, which is a nice change for the series. I finished the first two levels with any bugs or poo poo making me really mad, which is a good sign. It's pro buy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gannyGrabber posted:

Chronicles: China is actually pretty fun and well thought-out, which is a nice change for the series. I finished the first two levels with any bugs or poo poo making me really mad, which is a good sign. It's pro buy.

Are the people who bought Unity at launch not getting this for free like we did with Dead Kings?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

man nurse posted:

Are the people who bought Unity at launch not getting this for free like we did with Dead Kings?
Only people who actually paid money for Unity's Season Pass.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
For :10bux: it's cheap and worth it. Just buy buy buy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

Its such a weird tie in because it never effects either game. Its literally the last thing you do in Rogue and Shay doesn't have anything to do with Unity's story so it never connects at all.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Chronicles: China is kind of neat. More of a puzzle platformer than anything else, I'd say.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Grimace posted:

Chronicles: China is kind of neat. More of a puzzle platformer than anything else, I'd say.

I like it, but the voice acting rubs me the wrong way. How much time has passed since the end of Embers? It's kind of jarring to go from Ezio's sad yet hopeful message "Love binds our order together" to Shao Jun just going "I will literally murder you and everything you stand for*, excuse me while I salt the earth around you" Also, somehow Shao Jun was a First Civ descendant all along? Guess they know how to pick 'em.

I've only played the first two levels. I think it's interesting that killing actually deducts from your score (it's better to not be seen at all).

*par for the Assassin course, really

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So does Mark of the Ninja Creed add anything to the current story or is it its own contained thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I got Napoleon's outfit and have half the murder mysteries left to do. My Javert cosplay is going swimmingly. It's amazing how much better Arno blends in with 18th century Paris with a cocked hat and uniform coat rather than his ridiculous hood getup that literally no one else wears.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shao Jun can whistle, and that makes her infinitely better than Arno.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's Chronicles: China like? Is it a side scroller or what?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Sort of? You can jump between planes (i.e., run across a plank into the background) and you often have to double back or something to finish a level or find secrets. I've heard it compared unfavorably to Mark of the Ninja, which I haven't played yet. I thought it was Fine but there's very little of what I love in it (no modern-day story, poor voice acting, bad script). The art is really nice, some of the moves feel good, and when you get a rhythm going you feel genuinely Assassin-y. The scoring is actually pretty forgiving--you can be a Shadow, an Assassin, or a Brawler, in order from most impressive/highest scoring to least impressive/lowest scoring, and you hit certain thresholds to unlock stuff.

The best levels are basically 2D versions of the giant things-exploding-and-falling-apart-all-over memories from the 3D games (the most recent example is Rogue's portion set in a crumbling Lisbon). The worst involve having to make it past a gauntlet of enemies whose vision cones are just a bit too wide (but also I am bad at it).

I'm interested in the Assassin symbols you can find hidden in a bunch of levels--Eagle Vision reveals four numbers behind each of them. Part of the next/a current ARG? Too bad the game isn't good or interesting enough to sell large quantities so probably no one's gonna nip at that intriguing lil piece of bait. :(

(Needless to say, just my opinions. I wouldn't say I regret buying it but maybe wait for a sale. Sad really since the concepts for the Assassins that star in this trilogy are way more interesting than anybody from a mainline game so far.)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Yeah Mark of the Ninja is pretty much a better game in all aspects than this.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Arglebargle III posted:

So I got Napoleon's outfit and have half the murder mysteries left to do.

I need an invite to a Unity clan so I can get that Napoleonic armor. I'm PBPJFC on Ubisoft/AC: Unity. Anyone still in the goon ones? Can you hook me up with an invite Arglebargle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What? You get the awesome hat just by getting the awesome hat in Dead Kings.

• Locked thread