Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cyron posted:

Also on the subject of both side are dumb, my favorite thing is when republicans and democrats declare about moving to Canada after every election. mostly for republicans since Canada is more liberal then the US.

This actually makes sense after you've talked to a few republicans. In the words of one of my coworkers, "Yeah I agree with those policies but they only work because there are a lot less blacks and spics in Norway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, it was more along the lines of, "I hate conservatives, but I loving hate liberals." The difference is subtle but, I think, significant. :D

I find that conservatives are much easier to mock, but it just doesn't have the same kind of visceral satisfaction (a reaction I can't adequately explain) that comes with liberals getting slagged off.

Yeah I kinda agree with them when I remember that liberal =\= leftist but I really doubt that's what they meant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For me, leftism at its most tiresome and irritating tends to be George Galloway's borderline anti-Semitism or all the National Union of Students, "We will condemn UKIP and Israel, but condemning ISIS would be Islamophobic," stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
American liberal extemists tend to be extreme in things like the environment, health and social issues.

Conservative extremists want to deny rights to certain groups, bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors to "save lIves."

(These are caricatures and do not represent the majority of either group. Just how they tend to be portrayed.)

One comes across as ridiculously hypocritical and overall mostly harmless. The other comes across as scary.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's how the caricatures seem but the former still leads to stupid harmful things like California falling behind Iowa and fricking Texas in renewable energy.

edit: American liberals almost always have good goals but ridiculously stupid and inefficient ways to get there.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Man, remember when Barack Obama reviewed Last Action Hero and didn't even know it was a parody?

Well, anyway, I can't wait to see Mitch McConnel's new video series on the classic Konami TMNT beat em' ups.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I actually mistaken this thread for Hellthread. Let that sink in a bit.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mutation posted:

I actually mistaken this thread for Hellthread. Let that sink in a bit.

Haha, I've made that mistake a couple times too.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Anyways I was reading brad's updates on the linkara movie, I don't know how the filming was like in the films channel awesome made but it sounds like a mush better project in organizing. granted there is less out of town guest stars then say the CA films and you didn't have shity filming evoraments like running though a desert, next to a highway and a hot and closafobic attic so I assume it a bit better in that regards. it seem like they get more day offs this time.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rebochan posted:

Well, anyway, I can't wait to see Mitch McConnel's new video series on the classic Konami TMNT beat em' upset.

That turtle lookin guy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PresidentBeard posted:

That's how the caricatures seem but the former still leads to stupid harmful things like California falling behind Iowa and fricking Texas in renewable energy.

edit: American liberals almost always have good goals but ridiculously stupid and inefficient ways to get there.

Yeah, they're also really easy to paint as hypocrites in a lot of cases.

My point was that those issues are easier comedy targets than a lot of extremist conservatism's items of note.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
These men are pawns!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't believe these men may control the fate of the Middle East

... wait, that's actually on-topic for this derail

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Todd's new video is up, and as I suspected it is a top 10 worst list. 1991, hoo boy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cubey posted:

Todd's new video is up, and as I suspected it is a top 10 worst list. 1991, hoo boy.

Wait, on Patreon or for everyone? Because I can't find it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jsor posted:

Wait, on Patreon or for everyone? Because I can't find it.

Patreon, should've mentioned that

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's fine, it just reminded me to go and give Todd $2 a month. :D

E: Yes, I know Todd's is per video

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 23, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jsor posted:

It's fine, it just reminded me to go and give Todd $2 a month. :D

:hf:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cubey posted:

I have to say I was unaware Bette Midler was a proud deist.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have to say I was unaware Bette Midler was a proud deist.

what

I envy you if you've seriously gone your whole life until now without hearing that song

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 23, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cubey posted:

what

I envy you if you've seriously gone your whole life until now without hearing that song

I've probably heard it at some point, but it's generic enough that I don't know it.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I kinda wish he'd done 1990, because then he could have talked about Jive Bunny. Yes, Jive Bunny made the top 100 in 1990.

I already knew about that Timmy T song, but mainly because it was on Bennett The Sage's worst number ones list a couple of years ago.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've probably heard it at some point, but it's generic enough that I don't know it.

You must have spent less time working lovely minimum wage retail jobs than me because that awful song was a mainstay at two different jobs I worked at.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've come to the conclusion of gently caress adult contemporary. What a loving boring genre and gently caress Bryan Adams especially if he really did threaten Allmusic.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Since I don't give Todd money yet, I went and looked at the year end chart for 91'. I feel sorry for anyone who's old enough to remember that. So loving worthless.

Edit: Oh never mind, '90 is worse. At least 91' has 5 songs I actually listen to.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Celery Face posted:

Since I don't give Todd money yet, I went and looked at the year end chart for 91'. I feel sorry for anyone who's old enough to remember that. So loving worthless.

91 was seriously such a nothing year for pop music. There were maybe five or six songs on there that I actually enjoy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I actually somehow knew almost all the songs on that list, even though I was only 5 back in '91.

Also listening to that Timmy T song outside of the video, the gently caress is with the drums? They really clash with the rest of the song, badly. I also feel like I've heard them somewhere else.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Cubey posted:

Also listening to that Timmy T song outside of the video, the gently caress is with the drums?
The lyrics got me too. They sound like they were written by a little kid.

quote:

It's been a long time since you left me
I didn't mean to make you cry
I didn't mean to disappoint you
I didn't mean to tell you lies
I can't really hate the song because it's just so pathetic.

Jsor posted:

You know, out of context, those lyrics sound like a breakup song written as a sequel to Never Gonna Give You Up.
:aaa:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Celery Face posted:

The lyrics got me too. They sound like they were written by a little kid.

I can't really hate the song because it's just so pathetic.

quote:

It's been a long time since you left me
I didn't mean to make you cry
I didn't mean to disappoint you
I didn't mean to tell you lies

You know, out of context, those lyrics sound like a breakup song written as a sequel to Never Gonna Give You Up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

I've come to the conclusion of gently caress adult contemporary. What a loving boring genre and gently caress Bryan Adams especially if he really did threaten Allmusic.

If you listen to the album that "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" is actually on, it's basically a lost Def Leppard album. Obviously, that's because Mutt Lange produced it, but although I can't cite any exact examples off the top of my head, but there's a few songs on that which may as well be pastiches of songs from Hysteria (before they took all his information down, AllMusic drew a direct comparison between "All I Want Is You" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" but it's been that long since I listened to either song, I couldn't tell you for sure if it fits).

Man, I was mad keen on the album Reckless for a while a couple of years ago, when I was going through a bit of an eighties rock phase (which I am now thankfully outgrown; I could post at considerable length on this matter but I doubt anyone's interested; suffice to say that my resulting alienation from music - the breakdown of my ability to conenct with music - actually managed to prompt something of a small identity crisis for me; it was an awkward phase in retrospect).

Overall, Bryan Adams is mostly fine if you a) already enjoy AOR and melodic rock along the lines of Foreigner, Journey, Loverboy, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi; and b) ignore the Robin Hood song, but avoid the album 18 Till I Die, which has a song called "(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear" (seriously).

P.S. I think the website Hit Parader listed Bryan Adams on its list of the best ever heavy metal vocalists. Fred Durst was also on the list. Yeah.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Todd's list is up for all.

A strong list, though considering how often he's talked about Nirvana shaking music to it's core I was hoping for him to show how someone crappy got knocked off of their pedestal by Nevermind. At any rate, well worth a watch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Much is made of the fact that Nevermind knocked Dangerous by Michael Jackson off the top of the Billboard 200 in 1992, and while that was a massive achivement, it's less-frequently noted that Nirvana were themselves replaced at number one by Garth Brooks, who stayed there for five times as long, and went on to have a second, seven-week number-one album later on in the same year.

The year Nevermind went to number one, Billboard's year-end number one album was Some Gave All by Billy Ray Cyrus, and Def Leppard had a five-week number one album with Adrenalize, as did Michael Bolton with his terrible covers album.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Much is made of the fact that Nevermind knocked Dangerous by Michael Jackson off the top of the Billboard 200 in 1992, and while that was a massive achivement, it's less-frequently noted that Nirvana were themselves replaced at number one by Garth Brooks, who stayed there for five times as long, and went on to have a second, seven-week number-one album later on in the same year.

The year Nevermind went to number one, Billboard's year-end number one album was Some Gave All by Billy Ray Cyrus, and Def Leppard had a five-week number one album with Adrenalize, as did Michael Bolton with his terrible covers album.

I go with the kinda cynical view that Alternative as a genre happened and hit it big because the Billboard hot 100 switching over to Soundscan at the end of 1991 caught the big companies with their pants down. Bands like Nirvana managed to sneak into visibility on the new rankings enough to snowball and get big. It didn't take long for the bigs to figure out how to profit off the Alternative genre and game Soundscan again, letting them top the charts with mass-market safe music and simultaneously sell Alternative music to the kids disaffected by said safe music as well.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Arbite posted:

Todd's list is up for all.

A strong list, though considering how often he's talked about Nirvana shaking music to it's core I was hoping for him to show how someone crappy got knocked off of their pedestal by Nevermind. At any rate, well worth a watch.

Says it's been removed from blip? Where can we watch this?

nvm: had to go to blip.com

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-1991-pt-1-7191458

Leelee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 23, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

I go with the kinda cynical view that Alternative as a genre happened and hit it big because the Billboard hot 100 switching over to Soundscan at the end of 1991 caught the big companies with their pants down. Bands like Nirvana managed to sneak into visibility on the new rankings enough to snowball and get big. It didn't take long for the bigs to figure out how to profit off the Alternative genre and game Soundscan again, letting them top the charts with mass-market safe music and simultaneously sell Alternative music to the kids disaffected by said safe music as well.

Seems like a reasonable analysis. It's unfortunate that they didn't do likewise with mp3 downloading as well. If they'd tried to monetise the model rather than crush it and cling to the existing system, perhaps the music industry would be in a stronger position today; by the time the iTunes store emerged to offer a viable legal alternative, the pirates had a good five-plus year head start on them and they've struggled to make up the difference.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seems like a reasonable analysis. It's unfortunate that they didn't do likewise with mp3 downloading as well. If they'd tried to monetise the model rather than crush it and cling to the existing system, perhaps the music industry would be in a stronger position today; by the time the iTunes store emerged to offer a viable legal alternative, the pirates had a good five-plus year head start on them and they've struggled to make up the difference.

DIdnt the music industry also push back on Apple as well when they were pitching the first iPods and the iTunes Store?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BigRed0427 posted:

DIdnt the music industry also push back on Apple as well when they were pitching the first iPods and the iTunes Store?

Not Apple, I think they tried to go after mp3 players and the format in general.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leelee posted:

Says it's been removed from blip? Where can we watch this?

nvm: had to go to blip.com

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-1991-pt-1-7191458

That link also doesn't work. This one does though... at least for the moment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Not Apple, I think they tried to go after mp3 players and the format in general.

It isn't much different from the "home taping is killing music" thing from the 1970s, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is there any sort of site like Kicktraq for Patreon? I'm just curious how some have gone up and down, especially want to see Aruini's go off a cliff after Hbombs first video.

• Locked thread