Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arrath posted:

An entire cartridge, no less.

Someone used it as a stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping that's just a Hot Shots: Part Deux reference.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What the gently caress is "*intimidating titter*"?

A titter is a weak laugh of sorts.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

drgitlin posted:

A titter is a weak laugh of sorts.

Like Maude's weird artist friend demos in the Big Lebowski.

Somebody should tell bro that with a fitty-cal you don't need no heart shots.
Hit a thumb it'll tear off the whole arm. So sayeth the interweb.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What the gently caress is "*intimidating titter*"?

An extremely distressing manboob.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dingleberry posted:

Yeah, how is that intimidating? It's like saying "ferocious tulip" or something.

Jonad posted:

An extremely distressing manboob.

Gonna go with this interpretation.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dingleberry posted:

Somebody should tell bro that with a fitty-cal you don't need no heart shots.
Hit a thumb it'll tear off the whole arm. So sayeth the interweb.

Knox Harrington, the video artist? ;)

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Navy in a nutshell.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
how many sexual assault/cultural awareness briefings are happening at the time of that pic

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

terrez posted:

how many sexual assault/cultural awareness briefings are happening at the time of that pic

If they don't all open with that as the title slide from now on, there is no justice in the world.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOooHnVmDc

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
throwing this here because why not

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/

just lol at the entire thing

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Third World Reggin posted:

throwing this here because why not

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/

just lol at the entire thing

I have a coworker that LOVES that game. Like over 300 hours on steam in the last 6 months

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It'd be cool as a novelty thing, like looking up how some bizarro gun functions with the xray mode or whatever, but beyond that...I can't even comprehend HOW you'd spend 300 hours in that during a lifetime. I can't imagine spending more than about 30 seconds on it at a time.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

It'd be cool as a novelty thing, like looking up how some bizarro gun functions with the xray mode or whatever, but beyond that...I can't even comprehend HOW you'd spend 300 hours in that during a lifetime. I can't imagine spending more than about 30 seconds on it at a time.

I have no idea. Dude has gun 'tism. I'm sure half of his time is afk poo poo fwiw, bit it's still really loving funny to me.

He also owns ALL the DLC for it http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/262410/?snr=1_5_9__205

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I learned how to field strip an ak yay! But honestly it was dumb; it had certain stages where success could only be achieved by putting the gun together in the designers prescribed method. Yes, you may learn how to do it in leet time, but if you encounter a slight variation in the video game "real life" you could be hosed because you traded the muscle memory for spatial awareness

If I were hired to gently caress with an armed force I'd learn all their sops and then design equipment that would break when those sops were followed.

It's like the sliding scale between trigger discipline and marching into friendly arty because I was told to march. Dunno man, I'm no tactician, but I'd save ammo and lives by having soldiers who think as opposed to drink the koolaid snort some amphetamines and die for country

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 21, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

killmeimmafailure posted:

If I were hired to gently caress with an armed force I'd learn all their sops and then design equipment that would break when those sops were followed.
Westinghouse Aviation Gas Turbine Division did it years ago.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Then why we still got oxymoronic policies? Smarter not harder right?

Another example of human Intel vs throw money at a problem:

Again, I love America, but isn't that why the mig was so effective? It was purposely designed to be counter-intuitive so that the pilot would struggle to learn how to fly it. As a consequence, they could land them shits anywhere partially because the pilot was so comfortable with the mechanics of flight.

Conversely, when you're riding on a 2billion dollar, designed by committee, "lemon" when you encounter a computer error it's extremely hard to fix and continue flying. I know how computers work, but if some rear end in a top hat decides to burn my sdd I'm sol. Again, I'm a dinosaur and, obviously I haven't got to look at the flight systems (and the redundancy therin) but I sure as poo poo couldn't perform heart surgery on nano chips (or whatever the gently caress) in a hibob.

Again, looking at the historical parallels, the Germans had top of the line tanks, but were ultimately ineffective against both a) late soviet counter productions and b) the sheer amount of cheaper, more expendable American tanks

It's a question of efficiency, and the problem is Inefficiency comes at the cost of lives

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 21, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

It's really neat if you want to see exactly how stuff is put together. But it's not the best for learning assembly/disassembly, because it lacks some of the detail for steps (like letting you remove something without clicking on each individual button and lever you need to fiddle with to unlock the parts) and forces you to do it in the prescribed fashion even if this means jumping between disassembling different sections at random.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

I've only got 158 hours in Skyrim, so yeah that's pretty bad.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

lol

y'know I feel like a century from now Westinghouse jet engine jokes will still be funny

Because their products really were that bad

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I'd like to see line items. Humvee armor vs air superiority poo poo. Just sayin'

Didn't the new eurofighter do pretty well against the newer air stuff? gently caress man I just like planes.

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Putting soldiers in charge of other soldiers and then letting them make decisions on their own.

quote:

Again, I love America, but isn't that why the mig was so effective? It was purposely designed to be counter-intuitive so that the pilot would struggle to learn how to fly it. As a consequence, they could land them shits anywhere partially because the pilot was so comfortable with the mechanics of flight.

Conversely, when you're riding on a 2billion dollar, designed by committee, "lemon" when you encounter a computer error it's extremely hard to fix and continue flying. I know how computers work, but if some rear end in a top hat decides to burn my sdd I'm sol. Again, I'm a dinosaur and, obviously I haven't got to look at the flight systems (and the redundancy therin) but I sure as poo poo couldn't perform heart surgery on nano chips (or whatever the gently caress) in a hibob.

Again, looking at the historical parallels, the Germans had top of the line tanks, but were ultimately ineffective against both a) late soviet counter productions and b) the sheer amount of cheaper, more expendable American tanks

It's a question of efficiency, and the problem is Inefficiency comes at the cost of lives
You high as gently caress, son.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

y'know I feel like a century from now Westinghouse jet engine jokes will still be funny

Because their products really were that bad

As someone not incredibly well versed in jet engines would you care to explain, please?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTL4T_NVGhY

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Putting soldiers in charge of other soldiers and then letting them make decisions on their own.
You high as gently caress, son.

everything that guy posts is dumb as gently caress

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Never has a username been so accurate.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I don't know man, I think his ideas may have revolutionize how wars are fought in the years to come.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

elite_garbage_man posted:

I don't know man, I think his ideas may have revolutionize how wars are fought in the years to come.

my ears hurt just looking at that thing

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Godholio posted:

Easy, he probably just left on running on his computer for 24 hours every so often. Steam can't tell if you're actually playing the games or not. There are people in Games who would leave games idling just to get the dumb pretend trading cards Steam spits out when you have a game running for x amount of time.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
But isn't/wasn't the job post invasion of Iraq largely police work anyway? Wasn't the job mostly talking to people about fixing their plumbing or some such poo poo? Seems like the skillset of taking apart guns doesn't translate well to negotiations between tribes about who is owed what goat.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

As someone not incredibly well versed in jet engines would you care to explain, please?

Westinghouse engines were selected to power most of the early Navy jets, on the strength of their WWII war contracts. Their early engines were chronically under-powered, which was not uncommon at the time, but they never were able to master compressor design or create a reliable engine control system. As a result, the J34 was underpowered, suffered chronic compressor stalls, and flamed out far too easily. The promised successor, the J40, was cancelled for falling behind schedule and failing to deliver the required performance. Westinghouse engines ended up taking a lot of blame for the failure and deaths associated with the F3H Demon in particular, and Westinghouse left the engine business in the 1960s after losing contracts to GE and P&W. The J34 wasn't the only Navy engine to gently caress up a promising design and kill a bunch of dudes (looking at you, TF30) but being the weak link in so many early Navy programs due to failure to innovate or deliver on time irreparably tarnished the brand.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 22, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Everyone who complains that their service rifle is a cheap piece of poo poo, feast your eyes on what Brazil's finest get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_YWNo1f-o

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That's what you get for arming your police force with loving Taurus handguns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can't resist the urge to share this completely unrelated video courtesy of hekk and his liveleak obsession

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=691_1429541704

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Everyone who complains that their service rifle is a cheap piece of poo poo, feast your eyes on what Brazil's finest get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_YWNo1f-o

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alright, I'll step on the flaming bag of poo poo.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Let's break it down.

What was "the mig?" MiG is a loving company. That's like saying "the Boeing was good." For reference, nothing MiG has actually built since Vietnam has been groundbreaking or better than the stripped down & optionless version of its US counterpart. The MiG-21 was the last impressive thing they fielded, and it was quickly and decisively outclassed by everything the US was working on at the time. As far as the rest of the paragraph...no. Where did you hear that? I highly recommend you never ask that person a question again.

Your next paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

The tank statements are where you come closest to reality, because the end result you describe is actually pretty accurate. But the Panzers weren't top of the line for very long. They had serious shortcomings that actually make it debatable whether they ever were. But they were good early in the war. However, the role of the German tank is grossly overstated in American pop culture. Blitzkreig was a tactic of limited use. It was never a strategy, and it was only effective on a large scale once...and in that case, it was only because Germany blazed through the Low Countries' forests much faster than in any planners' nightmares (particularly France).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

Alright, I'll step on the flaming bag of poo poo.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Let's break it down.

What was "the mig?" MiG is a loving company. That's like saying "the Boeing was good." For reference, nothing MiG has actually built since Vietnam has been groundbreaking or better than the stripped down & optionless version of its US counterpart. The MiG-21 was the last impressive thing they fielded, and it was quickly and decisively outclassed by everything the US was working on at the time. As far as the rest of the paragraph...no. Where did you hear that? I highly recommend you never ask that person a question again.

Your next paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

The tank statements are where you come closest to reality, because the end result you describe is actually pretty accurate. But the Panzers weren't top of the line for very long. They had serious shortcomings that actually make it debatable whether they ever were. But they were good early in the war. However, the role of the German tank is grossly overstated in American pop culture. Blitzkreig was a tactic of limited use. It was never a strategy, and it was only effective on a large scale once...and in that case, it was only because Germany blazed through the Low Countries' forests much faster than in any planners' nightmares (particularly France).
Blitzkreig as a tactic was very effective in Operation Barbarossa, and Patton's breakout from the Normandy beach head was effectively a copy of German offensive tactics. In addition, the only reason the Sherman was effective at all was numbers, and the fact that the Tigers were pretty unreliable.

• Locked thread