Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why don't the chinese just leave the bran on and eat brown rice, if it's more nutritional? So they don't have to spend as much wood or fuel to cook it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Bob Morales posted:

Why don't the chinese just leave the bran on and eat brown rice, if it's more nutritional? So they don't have to spend as much wood or fuel to cook it?

This question made me curious, so I looked it up! At least according to one website:

quote:

One of the reasons why Asians have used mainly white rice over the years is that white rice lasts longer in storage than brown rice. The essential fatty acids found in brown rice usually begin to go bad after approximately 6 to 12 months of storage, the exact amount of time depending on how much oxygen is available. When brown rice is polished down to make white rice, many of the essential fatty acids are lost, allowing white rice to last longer than brown rice without going bad.

Another reason why many Asians prefer white rice is that they have become accustomed to how easy it is to chew and digest. Brown rice requires more chewing power to properly digest than white rice does.

Some Asians refuse to eat brown rice because to them, it's a sign of poverty. Many Asians who are above 40 years of age have been deeply conditioned to believe that prosperous people eat white rice while peasants eat brown rice.

Finally, many Asians choose white rice over brown rice because white rice is less expensive. White rice is far less expensive to produce and distribute because it is in greater global demand and produces higher profits because of its longer shelf life.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh wow, AB quit the internet again? This is not the first time he's done this. Back when Good Eats was still on, I looked his website up, and he had a giant NO MESSAGEBOARDS NO CONTACT DO NOT E-MAIL ME on his 'contact' page.

There are also many tales of him being a super casual racist/bigot. The whole White Southern Man Dont Care stuff. See, he was raised in Georgia, so that means modern rules of politeness and decency towards persons of other races, religions, or sexuality don't apply to him!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh wow, AB quit the internet again? This is not the first time he's done this. Back when Good Eats was still on, I looked his website up, and he had a giant NO MESSAGEBOARDS NO CONTACT DO NOT E-MAIL ME on his 'contact' page.

There are also many tales of him being a super casual racist/bigot. The whole White Southern Man Dont Care stuff. See, he was raised in Georgia, so that means modern rules of politeness and decency towards persons of other races, religions, or sexuality don't apply to him!

That's what that link covered. I had no idea.

Nuke the south

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I honestly don't care what the guy does outside of the kitchen. I'll learn from him and use his recipes. Sure he's not a 'great person' or 'role model' but I'll still eat his food.

It's not like there aren't any racist people working at <insert_local_ethnic_restaurant> and I still eat there.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Not a question, just some trick that actually works... Three words: cornstarch scrambled eggs.

Best shortcut ever. Anyone who ever attempted scambled eggs will think you're some kind of cooking deity. This is witchcraft let me tell you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Spatule posted:

Not a question, just some trick that actually works... Three words: cornstarch scrambled eggs.

Best shortcut ever. Anyone who ever attempted scambled eggs will think you're some kind of cooking deity. This is witchcraft let me tell you.

I'm going to need you to expand on this, because scrambled eggs require neither cornstarch nor magic incantations. What is this a shortcut to? Thickening eggs?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've never heard of this before, but I guess this is it?

You can just do this by paying attention and scrambling it normally.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Adult Sword Owner posted:

That's what that link covered. I had no idea.

Nuke the south

Yeah. Never meet your heroes. At least I can be comfortable in the fact that Gordon Freeman isn't even REAL, and can never turn out to be a racist.

Also, because y'all were talking up 'mexicorn', I mixed leftover steamed corn with leftover spaghetti and sauce, and topped with smoked salt, sambal, and parmesan.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yes. The most amazingly fluffy cream scambled eggs in 15 seconds. Magic. Never have I encountered a cooking trick that worked like this, and I'm lazy.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 22, 2015

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Sure you can, but you don't have to. Fire the pan, premix water + cornstarch and eggs, get amazing, perfect, scrambled eggs in less than a minute. To get this texture I usually needed 15 minutes of constant scrambling on very low heat.

It's like the risotto in the bread machine hack, only so fast it's ridiculous.

EDIT: some people say use milk, I did not try this yet. Anyone cares to try and compare ?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Spatule posted:

Sure you can, but you don't have to. Fire the pan, premix water + cornstarch and eggs, get amazing, perfect, scrambled eggs in less than a minute. To get this texture I usually needed 15 minutes of constant scrambling on very low heat.

It's like the risotto in the bread machine hack, only so fast it's ridiculous.

EDIT: some people say use milk, I did not try this yet. Anyone cares to try and compare ?

Been using milk since I learned to make eggs. I guess pa's secret wasn't so secret after all.

Anyway, it goes a long way, so be careful with the stuff.

Respect the egg, and it will make you happy.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

BattleCattle posted:

Been using milk since I learned to make eggs. I guess pa's secret wasn't so secret after all.

Anyway, it goes a long way, so be careful with the stuff.

Respect the egg, and it will make you happy.

Sure, so have I, the question is milk + cornstarch, is it any better than water + cornstarch ?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Milk has more fat in it and more flavor so probably

But I mean it's not like eggs are hard to make so I probably won't even bother

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't get the need for cornstarch at all. Or milk or water for that matter.

I do the Ramsay way, which I think is the Julia Child way: Preheat pan on just above medium. Beat eggs with a fork. Put nonstick spray or unsalted butter in pan. Pour in eggs. As soon as the bottoms starts to set, pull it off the heat and stir gently with a silicone spatula until the cooking seems to stop. Return to heat, continue stirring, pull off when they start to visibly cook again. Add salt, pepper. Repeat heat process until they are a little undercooked, then dump on plate and put in facehole. The whole process, from thinking "I want eggs" to eating takes less than 10 minutes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do the Ramsay way, which I think is the Julia Child way: Preheat pan on just above medium. Beat eggs with a fork. Put nonstick spray or unsalted butter in pan. Pour in eggs. As soon as the bottoms starts to set, pull it off the heat and stir gently with a silicone spatula until the cooking seems to stop. Return to heat, continue stirring, pull off when they start to visibly cook again. Add salt, pepper. Repeat heat process until they are a little undercooked, then dump on plate and put in facehole. The whole process, from thinking "I want eggs" to eating takes less than 10 minutes.

So instead of 10m it can take 1-2m, that's the need.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cuts down the time to 2-3 minutes and I've never been able to achieve such a texture in less tahn 20 minutes before.

TRY IT AND REPORT BACK.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean if you're in that much of a hurry to eat eggs have fun with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spatule posted:

Cuts down the time to 2-3 minutes and I've never been able to achieve such a texture in less tahn 20 minutes before.

TRY IT AND REPORT BACK.

They take 2-3 minutes in the pan this way. I was including prep time there.

Here, watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

They take 2-3 minutes in the pan this way. I was including prep time there.

Here, watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I know this one. Not the same, not even close.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I put buttermilk in my eggs though because it tastes good.

I don't use buttermilk when I make an omelette, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Heat butter and oil. Add vegetables/meats/whatever. Cook until almost done. Pour in beaten eggs. Add salt, pepper, and cheese (optional). Shake the pan a few times. Take off heat when eggs are almost almost done. When eggs are almost done fold in thirds and put on a plate.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you need a shortcut for scrambled eggs...I don't even know what to tell you.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

corn with sugar = bad

corn with mayonnaise = good

eggs less than 20 min = bad

unless eggs have cornstarch, in which case = good

gws_v2.txt

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We need a "post your scrambled eggs" thread

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I use the Ducasse method for my scrambled eggs...works perfectly every time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I use the Ducasse method for my scrambled eggs...works perfectly every time.

Here's a pic but my camera really doesn't pick up yellow that well so

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

KingShiro posted:

If you need a shortcut for scrambled eggs...I don't even know what to tell you.

Look, I'm the kind of guy who had a sous-vide setup before the SVS was even on the market, and I'm telling you: this is awesome. Not some lovely lifehack, 15 minutes of not loving with the pan and scrambling, and cooking something else at the same time or whatever.
Try it, worst case it cost you like 3 eggs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I guess I get the appeal of 2 minute cook, but is it even really cooked, or does it just look cooked? I tend to like my eggs cooked through, not runny or anything. I grew up in the era of paranoia about salmonella.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

guppy posted:

I guess I get the appeal of 2 minute cook, but is it even really cooked, or does it just look cooked? I tend to like my eggs cooked through, not runny or anything. I grew up in the era of paranoia about salmonella.

Fully cooked since you can use high heat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Powdered eggs + ketchup is the pro-method.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Do they work better in a ceramic coated skillet?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

guppy posted:

I just ate a raw egg with lunch that still had poo on the shell. Hope this helps.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just ate a raw egg with lunch that still had poo on the shell. Hope this helps.

I know you're kinda-sorta-but-not-really kidding but he probably doesn't know that eggs you get at a grocery store in the US had the “bloom” film washed off and are more susceptible to getting bacteria. Until I had access to unlimited fresh eggs I had no idea that refrigeration was optional.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Spatule posted:

Look, I'm the kind of guy who had a sous-vide setup before the SVS was even on the market, and I'm telling you: this is awesome. Not some lovely lifehack, 15 minutes of not loving with the pan and scrambling, and cooking something else at the same time or whatever.
Try it, worst case it cost you like 3 eggs.

Look,

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Actually, I decided to try and figure out where this is from because I've never heard of it before, and this is the earliest reference to cornstarch scrambled eggs I can find: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ho...L_ClientGroup=1

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Lady and Pups is cool and if she supports cornstarched eggs then I bet they are good and I will try them. I don't get all this resistance to checking out a different technique. There's no way the French scrambled egg technique is faster than what's happening in that blog post ricola posted. I might make a French omelette on a weekday before work but I would almost never do French scrambled eggs but I might try this.

GWS also tells everyone to just get sodium citrate instead of doing a roux for cheese sauce but noooo not cornstarch in eggs (I know you are adding something to dilute the flavor of eggs while with sodium citrate you are adding less to cheese and diluting the flavor less and not a good direct comparison but whatever!).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm honestly kind of interested now because it honestly looks like that Lady and Pups blog post is the first time it was mentioned on the internet outside of commercial food production stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spatule posted:

Look, I'm the kind of guy who had a sous-vide setup before the SVS was even on the market,

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I still don't understand how it takes someone more than 2 minutes to scramble a loving egg.