Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Saladman posted:

Time machine's disabled, energy saver "put harddisk to sleep when possible"... wake for network access is on, but pretty sure I've disabled that before and it's stayed the same problem, plus everything is disabled in my sharing control panel and it's not a media server or anything. Just unchecked it again in case. Is powernap a thing that affects iMacs? I'm getting sick of this thing waking up and spinning the drive up in the middle of the night. I even disabeled spotlight indexing in the hopes that maybe that was the problem (nope).

I'd upgrade it to an SSD if I wasn't going to get rid of it in 4 months anyway. The computer waking up is kind of annoying, but the real issue is the read/write sounds that the harddrive makes which are inconsistent. I can sleep fine with a steady fan noise.

Mine does this too. I dont know what it is, but it doesnt do it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Karsh posted:

edit: maybe it's just non-Safari browsers running like poo poo. Is that a 'thing' with rMBPs too?

http://www.omgchrome.com/new-macbook-dont-use-google-chrome/

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Tried some MacBooks today. The size is impossible and highly desirable, like you sliced an iPad 4 in half with a razor and found a keyboard inside. Love the keyboard and trackpad. Some minor lag in full screen swiping, zero lag in realtime compound video effects in iMovie.

I looked under Network to see if it was using a USB-C adapter for Ethernet under the table, and it was just using in store Apple Demo WiFi, BUT- a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter was listed but disconnected. Surely that was just a ghost device from a time machine backup that'll never be connected again. Very deceiving.

Love the crap out of the device though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google Chrome was a slick little number for the first few years it was out. It's maybe still good to use on Windows, but you should use Safari on a Mac.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Google Chrome was a slick little number for the first few years it was out. It's maybe still good to use on Windows, but you should use Safari on a Mac.

Yeah, pretty much this. Chrome runs like poo poo on Mac OS at the moment compared to Safari. At least in my experience. Chrome in Windows/Chrome OS is sweet butter in comparison.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Except I like to have the same browser experience at home(win + mac) and work(linux) :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Except I like to have the same browser experience at home(win + mac) and work(linux) :(

Me too. I eventually just got fed up with Chrome feeling like rear end on Mac OS.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I hate how much memory it hogs, but it otherwise runs fine. I like how it syncs up my passwords and whatnot with my Windows computer, so I think I'll keep it. It is also a slightly, very slightly better experience over Safari.

Does firefox do the same thing as chrome where it syncs your stuff across browsers? If so I'd use that.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol @ "browser experience"

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?
I use Chrome instead of Safari for two reasons:

1. In Pwn2Own competitions, Chrome has consistently beaten Safari. This makes sense given their architectures.

2. Chrome supports WebRTC video chat. Safari doesn't.

I disable Chrome's plugins by default (basically making flash and friends click-to-play). Lack of flash and Java drastically improves battery life while reducing security risks. Also, I don't get annoyed by bands with crappy flash intro websites. Performance still isn't as smooth as Safari, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little performance for added security and better browser extensions.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it possible to patch an OS X USB installer with a combo update? Or is it generally not worth the effort?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it possible to patch an OS X USB installer with a combo update? Or is it generally not worth the effort?

Why not just re-download the Installer from the App Store which should include the Combo update?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SourKraut posted:

Why not just re-download the Installer from the App Store which should include the Combo update?

Err, I should have said its for 10.6/10.7 on machines that are locked to that version.

Also, I'm not sure how to even get something like 10.10.3 on a machine that already has 10.10. I guess you can manually get it from the App store?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, I'm not sure how to even get something like 10.10.3 on a machine that already has 10.10. I guess you can manually get it from the App store?

Use the 10.10.3 combo update or re-download Yosemite from the App Store. Since at least Mavericks, every time Apple has released a combo update they've also updated the main installer image available from the App Store. Option-click the Purchases icon to get a list of all App Store purchases and it should be right there.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Have their been any reviews of the maxed out MacBook, 1.3?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
For anyone here that has the new rMB, how's its screen brightness? Does it work as well outside as the iPhone does or is it in line with the previous airs (which kind of work if you're desperate)? Now that it's summer here, I realize again how much I would love a laptop screen that works decently in direct sun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I like using Chrome on Mac because I have a Windows Desktop, and Android phone and tablet, and so by using Chrome instead of Safari, everything is more easily synced. I haven't had performance issues, but one time Chrome bloated to over 6GB. Deleting it and redownloading it again fixed that. I sometimes use Safari, but i've had issues with websites on it that never happen on Chrome.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Saladman posted:

For anyone here that has the new rMB, how's its screen brightness? Does it work as well outside as the iPhone does or is it in line with the previous airs (which kind of work if you're desperate)? Now that it's summer here, I realize again how much I would love a laptop screen that works decently in direct sun.

I haven't had the chance to use mine out in the sun a lot yet but it gets quite bright, it's comparable to my note 4 at max brightness and I know that works pretty well outdoors.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The retina MacBook Pro is really amazing, but the speakers are a little weird coming from a MacBook Air. There's a little more reverb and it feels like it's more dominant on the left side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nut Bunnies posted:

The retina MacBook Pro is really amazing, but the speakers are a little weird coming from a MacBook Air. There's a little more reverb and it feels like it's more dominant on the left side.

They're just ten times better.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has OS X display scaling gotten much better since the original rMBP release?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Has OS X display scaling gotten much better since the original rMBP release?

What's wrong with it?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I think he's talking about how it uses more resources at higher resolutions?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

What's wrong with it?

I dunno. You tell me :) I haven't been following at all since I don't have a high DPI display mac. Just curious if there were any issues and how it compares now to when it was introduced.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vaporware posted:

I think he's talking about how it uses more resources at higher resolutions?

I use it almost exclusively at 1680x1050 (15") and I've not really noticed an impact while on battery. I usually hunker down with it in my family room and either noodle around on SA forums, work on some systems and/or network diagrams in Omigraffle, emails with work or remote in over an SSL VPN. I think the longest I've gone in one "sitting" is 6ish hours doing a variety of what I just listed and usually end up around 20-25% battery left. TBH I usually dial down the brightness when I'm on battery to 2 or 3 ticks from black, so I'm sure that has a bigger impact on the battery life than the resolution.

I haven't really noticed any difference performance-wise using the Iris Pro on battery vs. the GT750M when plugged in.

This is the mid-2014 15" rMBP 2.5GHz i7 16GB 500 GB SSD. All this is on Yosemite that was pre-installed when I bought it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I dunno. You tell me :) I haven't been following at all since I don't have a high DPI display mac. Just curious if there were any issues and how it compares now to when it was introduced.

There's no doubt that it's not as fast as using say, a native 1440x900 screen, but I find it very usable and being able to go from 1280x800 to 1920x1080 whenever I want is pretty nice. Better than being stuck with a 1080p screen or 1366x768 all the time.

But as far as scaling affecting day to day use, there are a handful of things you can 'tell' are scaled, but in general everything looks great and works just fine. The only complaints I really have are the fonts look slightly off in some cases, and playing retro games or doing pixel art can be a little weird.

The only app I've come across that doesn't want to run (just crashes at start up) is Super Crate Box

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Edit: just decided to go with my original instincts so gently caress it.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2015

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Went back to the Apple store to play with the MacBook again, and I see what people mean about the chugg. Tried browsing The Verge's website @ 1440x900 in Safari, and there was noticeable chop. That website is godawful in terms of resource consumption, but the results were pretty telling. I wonder how bad that machine would be with IntelliJ + Spotify + multiple instances of tomcat + Safari with many tabs. I think I'll wait for Skylake.

I really wish Apple had just given us what we wanted: retina Airs.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the speaker grill above the keyboard makes it look really tacky and cheap imo, i was surprised when I saw one irl for the first time earlier today.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Tacky and cheap is what they're going for these days, haven't you seen the watch? I don't have a problem with the speaker grill, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gotta agree, I'm a huge apple fan but the watch is ugly as poo poo

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I gotta agree, I'm a huge apple fan but the watch is ugly as poo poo

Feelin' like its the windows 95 era of wearables.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

If a MacBook Pro is booting sometimes, but pretty rarely (can't see the hard drive), and the hard drive seems to be fine itself, how likely is it that it's the internal cable and not a motherboard issue?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

beejay posted:

If a MacBook Pro is booting sometimes, but pretty rarely (can't see the hard drive), and the hard drive seems to be fine itself, how likely is it that it's the internal cable and not a motherboard issue?

Very. What model is it?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sorry, Late 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro. I have the hard drive out and connected through a sata to usb bridge on another Mac and it's working just fine and readable. It boots in the original machine maybe 1 out of 5 times. It looks like new cables are like $15-20 so I will probably just try replacing that and hope for the best.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

beejay posted:

:techno: There's a 89.38 percent probability the IPS conduits were damaged in that last attack. Recommend rerouting drive power through the main deflector dish.

What do you mean there's no deflector dish? That ALWAYS works. :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

I said come in! posted:

I like using Chrome on Mac because I have a Windows Desktop, and Android phone and tablet, and so by using Chrome instead of Safari, everything is more easily synced. I haven't had performance issues, but one time Chrome bloated to over 6GB. Deleting it and redownloading it again fixed that. I sometimes use Safari, but i've had issues with websites on it that never happen on Chrome.

if you're on a macbook of any type at least be aware that using safari over chrome on osx will give you literal hours more usage on battery, chrome really sucks energy

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I legitimately had no idea until a few days ago that people seriously used Safari in this day and age. But then again I do 99% of my work on desktops so battery life isn't exactly in the forefront of my mind.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I legitimately had no idea until a few days ago that people seriously used Safari in this day and age. But then again I do 99% of my work on desktops so battery life isn't exactly in the forefront of my mind.
What's wrong with Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used to be a Chrome person 100% on my windows laptop and my android but ever since moving to apple stuff I use safari a lot more. Chrome runs like absolute poo poo on my MBP. The only things I use it for are Chromecasting and using Hola with Netflix.

I love chrome but it's so badly optimised on OS X.