Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

beer_war posted:

Why does the launcher download the same 350 MB patch every time I start it?

Well, fixed it, here's how in case anyone runs into the same problem:

- Check %LOCALAPPDATA%/Temp for the patch installer, after it has been fully downloaded, copy it to another location and run it manually. In my case the file was called GTA_V_Patch_1_0_335_2.exe
- In the installer window, click on Show Details. Note that it is supposed to replace a couple files, but skips them for whatever reason.
- Rename / delete those files, then run the patch installer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Am I living in a box?
Am I living in a cardboard box?

Alternative:
Gabriel you've gone too far,
Gabriel you've gone too fa-aa-aar

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Probably a stupid question, but if you buy a helicopter in the main game, do you lose it like you would a car?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

No but see there is no security issue or leak on their end. Even though not having any sort of two-step verification is a security issue.

Glad I spent the extra money and got it through Steam, at least I'll be able to get a refund. I'll wait a day or two more and then I'm done with this poo poo.

My password is in 2 places, on their server and in my encrypted keepass database. The only time I've ever used it is on GTA 4 and 5. I've never even logged into their website.

Something fishy is going on.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

Probably a stupid question, but if you buy a helicopter in the main game, do you lose it like you would a car?

You'll need to store it at the helicopter airfield in the desert

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ayn rand hand job posted:

Nah, if you have the helipad it'll magically reappear there (I ran about 20 jets into the army base trying to get the perfect ejecter seat/parachute combination)

I saw someone a few days ago mention races being excessively difficult. I dunno if I'm being super lucky playing with scrubs but I am having like, zero trouble coming first or second every time. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that I'm playing on controller and I've only seen one or two other people do the same, but I'm really not very good at driving/flying.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there some quick way to get cars from your garage in SP? It's just so much easier to nab a lovely stationwagon or something instead of going back there to grab my 750, 000 dollar pink car.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

SwissCM posted:

My password is in 2 places, on their server and in my encrypted keepass database. The only time I've ever used it is on GTA 4 and 5. I've never even logged into their website.

Something fishy is going on.

If you've used the same password since GTA4 was released, it could have be stolen long before GTAV was released. GTA4 was released before Heartbleed was released/fixed. The hackers would've just had no reason to hijack any accounts until now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

If you've used the same password since GTA4 was released, it could have be stolen long before GTAV was released. GTA4 was released before Heartbleed was released/fixed. The hackers would've just had no reason to hijack any accounts until now.

That's true. However, first time I changed the password, it was because the old one was deemed week. It was 12 characters long, with uppercase and consisted of 2 words. Was 12 characters.

How did they know that. though? Are they keeping the passwords stored in plain text?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Anyplace I can go put my name down on a list of people calling out Rockstar for their bullshit? I made my RSC account in 2011 with a unique, random alphanumeric password and I still got hacked.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Anyplace I can go put my name down on a list of people calling out Rockstar for their bullshit? I made my RSC account in 2011 with a unique, random alphanumeric password and I still got hacked.
Right. The issue was that you never changed that password after the April 2014 disclosure of Heartbleed. Not that it's really your fault -- Rockstar should have enforced a global password change after that event.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SwissCM posted:

How did they know that. though? Are they keeping the passwords stored in plain text?

It wouldn't be the first some "big" company did that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hahahaha I just noticed the one message sitting on my RSC account:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

That's true. However, first time I changed the password, it was because the old one was deemed week. It was 12 characters long, with uppercase and consisted of 2 words. Was 12 characters.

I really doubt they'd be so naive as to store them in plaintext. Even storing un-salted hashes is a big no-no these days.

Maybe they did a lookup of any passwords that matched hashes against a known list of compromised passwords?

When did you change it the first time? They just sent you an email at some point saying "oh hey that password you've been using for awhile that was fine, you should change it" ? If so maybe they were storing them in plaintext before that? :shrug:

If it told you it was weak as you entered it then that would make sense, but if they just sent you an email out of the blue telling you its weak that's weird. Especially if its 12 characters long.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is the only time me being un organised idiot saved my arse. I forgot my password and changed it just before the installing gta5.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If you made an account post-Heartbleed, you're totally safe.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
haha this is all about heartbleed? I don't feel sorry for anyone that lost anything related to that. Everyone from prime time tv news to my friend's grandmother knew what heartbleed was about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

New Leaf posted:

If you made an account post-Heartbleed, you're totally safe.

As long as you don't use any passwords that you did from before Heartbleed :eng101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zigmidge posted:

haha this is all about heartbleed? I don't feel sorry for anyone that lost anything related to that. Everyone from prime time tv news to my friend's grandmother knew what heartbleed was about.

That's just what people are assuming, since it's the only thing that makes sense besides "Rockstar are a bunch of drat liars trying to cover up their ineptitude after another security failure", and I'm no Ron so I'm not big into conspiracies like that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

To be entirely fair, I had absolutely no reason to even care about a Rockstar account again until GTA 5 was out. And the only reason I got it in the first place was because LA Noire kept badgering me to get one. I'd forgotten entirely that it existed and had just hoped they'd scrap it to just use Steam or some other service instead.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

evilmiera posted:

To be entirely fair, I had absolutely no reason to even care about a Rockstar account again until GTA 5 was out. And the only reason I got it in the first place was because LA Noire kept badgering me to get one. I'd forgotten entirely that it existed and had just hoped they'd scrap it to just use Steam or some other service instead.

Me neither, but I've been consequently using KeePass for years, no matter how unimportant the account. Need that weird forum account I made 4 years ago because I wanted to download a single mod for Football Manager 2011? No problem :smug:

Edit:
Actually, I came to ask a question before I got all smug about my account hoarding superiority:

Is there a way to change the in-car FOV?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 22, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
It had nothing to do with heartbleed. The simplest explanation is usually correct. Rockstar is inept & dishonest. The title of this very thread said so. Do you think hackers lifted the passwords with some elaborate, multi-stage hack or some Turkish teenager used some software he bought online to grab a list of plaintext passwords from whatever poo poo system designed by the saddest programmer at Rockstar assigned to maintain RSC during the days it was truly pathetic?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
They've made it impossible to change email addresses for RSC accounts now, as a stopgap I guess.

Rockstar support posted:

We are aware that unauthorized attempts have been made to access Rockstar Games Social Club accounts using email and password combinations sourced from unaffiliated, compromised websites or databases elsewhere on the internet. For the accounts affected, we are in the process of reverting those accounts back to their original owners. As a result, the ability to change email addresses for Social Club accounts has been temporarily disabled. See the following Rockstar Support article for more information here. As a reminder, it is a good policy to ensure that the Rockstar Games Social Club account username and password is not shared across multiple websites on the internet. For accounts affected with this issue, we are working to respond to customers to reinstate full user access within 24 hours of contacting Customer Support. Please continue to look to the Rockstar Support website for more information as it develops.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The customisation spreadsheet is now up to date. Please let me now if there are any mistakes or anything missing.

:siren: http://tinyurl.com/GTA-Online-Car-Mods :siren:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
The director and editor modes are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXw_BDrjVE :nws:

The world's most elaborate Yo Mama joke. And it's actually pretty loving funny.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Too bad the Carbonizzare doesn't have many mods. It seems like the only car that drives anywhere close to a racing sim.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

zen death robot posted:

GTA is not a racing sim ffs

You are correct, GTA is real life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

The customisation spreadsheet is now up to date. Please let me now if there are any mistakes or anything missing.

:siren: http://tinyurl.com/GTA-Online-Car-Mods :siren:

Tools like this are cool and I'm too lazy to make them myself. Thank you!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Okay so gently caress Rockstar's DRM Social Club bullshit. I've been forced to change my password twice and they've all been randomly generated one-of-a-kind passwords.
I still think I'm going to buy direct from them because of it. Why give Steam the extra money when you get none of the convenience?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

GhostDog posted:

Me neither, but I've been consequently using KeePass for years, no matter how unimportant the account. Need that weird forum account I made 4 years ago because I wanted to download a single mod for Football Manager 2011? No problem :smug:

Edit:
Actually, I came to ask a question before I got all smug about my account hoarding superiority:

Is there a way to change the in-car FOV?

This might help
http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/32n8m0/i_made_a_mod_for_freely_setting_your_firstperson/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tolstojevski posted:

Definitely avoid using anything thrown until that mess gets sorted.

IF that mess gets sorted, considering what a bang-up job their support team is doing right now.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

It had nothing to do with heartbleed. The simplest explanation is usually correct. Rockstar is inept & dishonest. The title of this very thread said so. Do you think hackers lifted the passwords with some elaborate, multi-stage hack or some Turkish teenager used some software he bought online to grab a list of plaintext passwords from whatever poo poo system designed by the saddest programmer at Rockstar assigned to maintain RSC during the days it was truly pathetic?
Meh. Heartbleed allowed any random teenager to use software downloaded for free off the internet to grab a list of plaintext passwords from any webserver's memory without leaving a trace on the server. Anyone who connected to the RSC during the vulnerable time (which from their article appears to have been a couple of weeks) could have had their password stolen. There's a reason heartbleed was in the news - it really was that bad.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Thanks.

Shumagorath posted:

I still think I'm going to buy direct from them because of it. Why give Steam the extra money when you get none of the convenience?

You're still getting updates through Steam.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh I guess sorry for jumping at the bit about heartbleed. I didn't realize it was just speculation. It blows to be out 70$ and a game either way.

zen death robot posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
GTA manages to have competent car races in all classes plus motorcycles, bicycles, and airplanes so that makes it a pretty good racing game

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It might even be the best plane racing game ever made.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

zen death robot posted:

The game is called Grand Theft Auto

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
It's probably still a grand theft auto charge whether you're selling the car, or leaving it wrapped around a tree or upside-down on a city sidewalk because you didn't want to pay/wait for a taxi.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

GTA manages to have competent car races in all classes plus motorcycles, bicycles, and airplanes so that makes it a pretty good racing game

Boats, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The foot racing is pretty competent as well. What other game can simulate the excitement of a 5k? None. Mary Ann's tiny 39 year old rear end does not have poo poo on me.

• Locked thread