Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its php so its bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

can't you compile wordpress to a static site? what is there to lose, websites don't need comments any more

use a 3rd party service for comments, never wordpress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

if i want to host a static site what is the cheapest thing that's a cloud service thinger

assume i have the domain already

static hosting on github is completely free

https://pages.github.com/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DimpledChad posted:

does anyone have any experience with concrete5? it's another php cms, but looks like it has a (relatively) non-horrbile architecture/codebase. uses symfony/doctrine.

I think you should just clone someone's open source ruby on rails/django /Microsoft on mssql blog. Like there are probably thousands of almost fully featured blogs on github that you can just take for free and will be way better than WordPress

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use a 3rd party service for comments, never wordpress

added bonus that you can block scripts from disqus and never have to see any comments

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
no really, websites don't need comments. my website stuff is unironically all generated from org-mode projects *eats foot fungus*

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my blog is literally a bunch of django template language stuff pre-compiled into static HTML with no comments, ads, tracking or cookies of any kind. I like it a lot.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

my blog is literally a bunch of django template language stuff pre-compiled into static HTML with no comments, ads, tracking or cookies of any kind. I like it a lot.

uh actually your blog is good because it has good content not because of the lack of tracking cookies or ads.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

uh actually your blog is good because it has good content not because of the lack of tracking cookies or ads.

the real secret to finding a good cms

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well yeah, I try to write content that's interesting (i.e. stuff I've been ranting about enough to write), but it helps that it has as little annoying poo poo as possible. Custom fonts is as fancy as it goes. Also I think my RSS CDATA escaping thing is broken :shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
my personal blog is built by a static website generator because it's 1. cheap to host and 2. really, really safe

i don't have comments enabled. if i were gonna add comments, i would just use disqus

gently caress having my blog be part of an attack surface, life is too short

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

everyone post ur blogs i want to read them thanks in advance

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

http://ferd.ca

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
http://qntm.org but you already knew that

I wrote my own CMS :smug:

in PHP :shepface:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

i dont have a blog because i have lovely opinions that are not at all concisely formed in my own head and translate into an unintelligible mess as soon as i start typing mlmp

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Stringent posted:

the real secret to finding a good cms

roll your own

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

i dont have a blog because i have lovely opinions that are not at all concisely formed in my own head and translate into an unintelligible mess as soon as i start typing mlmp

same but work emails

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been messing around with pelican, i just want hosting that'll stay up or whatever

i think i'm gonna go with amazon versus github just cause it's amazon's business to host poo poo now rather than the largess of github

thanks

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

i have a blog but i havent written anything on it yet because of my impostor syndrome

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Arcsech posted:

i have a blog but i havent written anything on it yet because of my impostor syndrome

how about starting with a monad tutorial

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would like to do a fake commercial for al's discount mondad superbarn where you can get all kinds of monads to suit any need or budget but i think it's too much effort for a joke no one will get / is not funny

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
is it pronounced 'moe-nads' or 'mah-nads' (or for the IPA inclined, ['moʊnædz] vs ['mɒnædz])?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DimpledChad posted:

is it pronounced 'moe-nads' or 'mah-nads' (or for the IPA inclined, ['moʊnædz] vs ['mɒnædz])?

like minutes, but moneys

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

DimpledChad posted:

"my-nuts"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i assume it rhymes with gonads, because this makes joeks work

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DimpledChad posted:

neither, it's mo-nads

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DimpledChad posted:

im gay

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
should i learn clojure?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DimpledChad posted:

just like the definition, the pronunciation is flexible.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lemme just write up a quick monad pronunciation blog post using a really tortured metaphor

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lemme just write up a quick monad pronunciation blog post using a really tortured metaphor

the o and the a in monad are pronounced like the o and the a in taco

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MononcQc posted:

the o and the a in monad are pronounced like the o and the a in taco

I think that means you're mispronouncing "taco"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tacos are monads

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
suck my nads

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
the o in monad is like the o in a burrito

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the correct pronunciation is "moon aids"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do you get Moon AIDS from He3IV?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
my condolences to anyone who has to care how it's pronounced

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the correct pronunciation is "moon aids"

reading your posts, checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ahhhh i have a interview tomrrow in c#
i assume theyre just gonna ask questions like, "whats oop? whats an interface? whats this keyword mean"
but ive got a coding demo too and thats the scary part

• Locked thread