Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am now, after two years of contracting, an official Cisco employee. Time for a new car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

I am now, after two years of contracting, an official Cisco employee. Time for a new car!

Sleeping with the Enemy :colbert:

Congrats, however.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

Congrats!

I'm currently on my way to Chicago. 80 is boring.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats!

I'm currently on my way to Chicago. 80 is boring.

I'm currently in Chicago. Chicago is boring (but really only because I'm stuck in the office).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thanks to a banner ad I've joined this week's short story Thunderdome... the topic is wizards :getin:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anybody know of a good, simple steaming box that has ethernet? It's for my father so it needs to be pretty simple to use. All of the big name ones I've found are wifi only, and the Amlogic/Android boards on amazon are probably too complex for him (plus the netflix app on those is built for android and is finicky when you try to use it with a normal remote). Oh I'm also in Canada so the Fire TV is a no go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Anybody know of a good, simple steaming box that has ethernet? It's for my father so it needs to be pretty simple to use. All of the big name ones I've found are wifi only, and the Amlogic/Android boards on amazon are probably too complex for him (plus the netflix app on those is built for android and is finicky when you try to use it with a normal remote). Oh I'm also in Canada so the Fire TV is a no go.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MrChips posted:

I've played it some. Don't stay in one spot too long unless you're somewhere central, as the resources aren't enough to keep you alive for long. The ranger hut in the first map is a pretty decent spot for a permanent base. Don't fight wolves unless you need to, and unless you have a rifle you probably shouldn't fight them at all. That said, hunting and trapping is pretty much the best way to get food in the game; I haven't messed around with fishing so I have no idea about that.

Oh yeah; don't get complacent, because that will kill you.

This run I just had a bad hand from the start. Started in the middle of nowhere on the Mystery Lake map, and spent half a days hike getting to the Trapper's Homestead and got there after night had fell. No drat hunting rifle, but plenty of ammo. Slept, spent the next day hiking to the Forestery Lookout, looting on the way. Again, no loving hunting rifle. Looked around that area for a bunker, no luck, so I spent the night in one of the logging trailers with intentions to hit the Camp Lodge in the morning to get my poo poo organized and head over to the next map and continue searching for a rifle.

Stepped outside of the trailer next morning and immediately got jumped by a wolf who knocked me down to like 65% condition. Made my way to the railroad tracks towards the Camp Lodge and ran into another wolf. Flare #1 and #2 wouldn't scare him off bit he wasn't jumping me. Flare #3 made him run off and I got around him. Then there was ANOTHER wolf where the ravine opens up to the left towards the Camp Lodge. Wolf #2 came moseying back so I was trapped with a wolf on each way out with nothing but rock walls on either side. Wolf #3 ate me :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've never used Roku, but heard good things about them.

Another option is a Sony Bluray player. New less than the Roku, refurb at Amazon less than $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS1200-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00TRADGKA

I use one and it's been very solid, fairly quick and the interface is easy to use.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sigma X posted:

Nice work.

So this is a local news story that is ongoing about a not ugly now former high school teacher that had relations of adult nature with students (multiple students, multiple times, that happened again even when out on bail). When you see some of the court room photos though you are like - REALLY? Is this staged? It looks staged: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34341164&nid=148&title=former-teacher-brianne-altice-pleads-guilty-in-sex-abuse-case&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory ninja edit: don't read comments or you will go brain dead.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I can second this. Bought the wife one, she loves it. Easy to use, seems fairly stable, no complaints in the last...year'ish of use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I've never used Roku, but heard good things about them.

Another option is a Sony Bluray player. New less than the Roku, refurb at Amazon less than $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS1200-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00TRADGKA

I use one and it's been very solid, fairly quick and the interface is easy to use.

I use Chromecast, but my parents have the Roku.

They are able to connect to my Plex media server at my house via Roku and play movies and TV shows on my server. They love it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Roku it is then! Thanks guys.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice work.

So this is a local news story that is ongoing about a not ugly now former high school teacher that had relations of adult nature with students (multiple students, multiple times, that happened again even when out on bail). When you see some of the court room photos though you are like - REALLY? Is this staged? It looks staged: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34341164&nid=148&title=former-teacher-brianne-altice-pleads-guilty-in-sex-abuse-case&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory ninja edit: don't read comments or you will go brain dead.

Where the hell were teachers that looked like that when I was in school?? All my teachers looked like an ugly truck hit them. Repeatedly.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I guess eBay's got some kinda heavy machinery auction going on. Of all the times to be broke. :(

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I stopped off at the first/last rest stop on 80 in Indiana and there was nothing but a bathroom. Everything was boarded up and it looked like a ghost town/zombie movie.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to find a traditional style entertainment center/tv stand with a built in mount at a reasonable price is about like finding a unicorn. They're either cheap as hell and all modern/contemporary or expensive as gently caress all. Or both.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tide posted:

Trying to find a traditional style entertainment center/tv stand with a built in mount at a reasonable price is about like finding a unicorn. They're either cheap as hell and all modern/contemporary or expensive as gently caress all. Or both.
Did you look at big lots?

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/tv-stands/50in-tv-stand-with-mounth

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/tv-stands/44-inch-swivel-black-glass-tv-stand-1

And if you really like the traditional cabinet look: http://www.biglots.com/p/c/tv-stands/54-glass-top-media-tv-stand

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buying any furniture at Big Lots is like setting your money on fire.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Chairs and couches and mattresses, sure.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, i did. Not big enough for the tv i have (a 60") or the one i plan to buy within a couple years (80"). I like them, but they're too "modern" for the wife. If I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust didn't hang new dry wall and such in this room, I wouldn't be opposed to just mounting it directly to the wall.

But, as the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

(80").

Dude, why not just get a projector? You can get bigger than an 80" picture for way less than what an 80" tv costs.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tide posted:

Yeah, i did. Not big enough for the tv i have (a 60") or the one i plan to buy within a couple years (80"). I like them, but they're too "modern" for the wife. If I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust didn't hang new dry wall and such in this room, I wouldn't be opposed to just mounting it directly to the wall.

But, as the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Who the gently caress buys an 80 inch television (or realistically plans to buy one) and then complains about not being able to find a wallmount? Just have a custom one made. You obviously have the dosh.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've been on the phone for an hour trying to troubleshoot a dragon naturally speaking issue...

For someone at home remoted into the businesses computer system.

Vmware horizon view with unidesk application management, connected remotely over time warner cable. Oh if that wasn't bad enough its a USB mic connected to an imac running bootcamp. The dude doesn't understand why it's taking so long to troubleshoot.

:shrek: :shrek::shrek::shrek:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

Who the gently caress buys an 80 inch television (or realistically plans to buy one) and then complains about not being able to find a wallmount? Just have a custom one made. You obviously have the dosh.

It's not the wall mount I'm looking for. I want this but in a different style.

What it comes down to is that I'm being a big sloppy bitch by not wanting to mount it to the wall because stupid reasons (new drywall, paint, whatever). Even though it makes more sense and is more aesthetically pleasing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Chairs and couches and mattresses, sure.

Or bar stools, kitchen islands or any tv stand. It's all cheap particle board crap.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Or bar stools, kitchen islands or any tv stand. It's all cheap particle board crap.

That's most furniture, though. Unless you want to cough up the $$$$.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

None of the three I listed were particle board.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Calling people about the Caprice that they're selling makes me feel so old.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

I've been on the phone for an hour trying to troubleshoot a dragon naturally speaking issue...

I chose to read this as you are speaking on the phone to a dragon who won't stop roaring and spitting fire at stuff in frustration over his problem.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

I stopped off at the first/last rest stop on 80 in Indiana and there was nothing but a bathroom. Everything was boarded up and it looked like a ghost town/zombie movie.

If you were headed into/out of Ohio you should have stopped at the first/last service plaza there. The turnpike commission finally got off their rear end and rebuilt them on the ends of the turnpike instead of having the first rest stop travelers hit coming into the state being a shithole built in the mid-1950s, and not seriously remodeled since the Carter administration.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Will any HDMI -> composite Y/Pb/Pr converter strip out HDCP? Or do I have to buy one of those cheap chinese splitters first?

[edit] "If you are in a plane travelling at 300mph and you jump in the air, you end up in the back of the plane." An actual thing my dad just said. :eng99: I've been trying to explain to him for 10 mins how Newton's 1st law works.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 22, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

~the skid demon~ :ghost:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

None of the three I listed were particle board.

The couches have particle board parts inside. I have sat on a couch in BL and broken it right there. And their mattresses are garbage.

Seriously, grow up and buy real furniture.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

The couches have particle board parts inside. I have sat on a couch in BL and broken it right there. And their mattresses are garbage.

Seriously, grow up and buy real furniture.
We talkin TV stands yo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

I chose to read this as you are speaking on the phone to a dragon who won't stop roaring and spitting fire at stuff in frustration over his problem.

The problem is that SiF isn't speaking High Valyrian. Dragons dont speak naturally in English

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

The problem is that SiF isn't speaking High Valyrian. Dragons dont speak naturally in English

Smaug does, but he probably took a course.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Coworker went and picked up his 'garage find' Jag last weekend. 1973 XJ6 with 48k miles on it. They drained the tanks, cleaned the tanks out, turned the engine over by hand a few times after spraying in WD40 (plugs out) then the drat thing started right up. No smoke and a perfect idle for ~5 minutes until the fuel pump burned up. They cleaned it up and the paint looks like it's in amazing shape, interior is basically spotless. I should be headed over later this week or weekend to go over the whole car with him and see if I can spot anything they missed. One hell of a find.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Smaug does, but he probably took a course.

Well his teacher was the guy who was a professor of Anglo-Saxon, I'm betting Smaug understands and speaks more languages than any dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

We talkin TV stands yo.

Grown ups wall mount their tv's. And most tv stands at BL are indeed particle board garbage.

• Locked thread