Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Eventually your DEX caps out at 20 and it stops mattering, though.

If you want the highest AC possible (which isn't a crazy thing to want) and don't want to take disadvantage on stealth checks, Medium Armor Master is an inevitable +1 AC bonus. There are also a few magic armors that don't come in light variants. Again, very niche, but not totally useless.

As a very specific example, a Rogue dipping Barbarian has to attack using strength to benefit from Reckless Attack, so you can't really afford boosting dexterity heavily in that circumstance.

my back pages posted:

So don't pick the feat? I don't see the problem here.

This is not a good justification for poorly designed mechanics that wind up serving as traps for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
Just because something isn't very good doesn't mean it's a "trap". The game is no worse for having included it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's kind of exactly w hat it means. It looks appealing but is bad, which DOES impact the game negatively. You shouldn't have to study the game in detail to be able to make a reasonably effective character.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

my back pages posted:

So don't pick the feat? I don't see the problem here.
It's presented as an option when it's flat out worse than the alternatives. This is called a trap option. Trap options are bad. Either the designers never did the math (bad) or they did but didn't bother fixing it (bad). Someone looking to make a particular dude will take the obvious option to do so and end up with a worse dude. This is bad.

my back pages posted:

Just because something isn't very good doesn't mean it's a "trap". The game is no worse for having included it.
Yes, it is.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 21, 2015

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
Do you think taking this feat over +2 dex on a character that has 14 dex and wears medium armor suddenly makes it less than a "reasonably effective character"? What if you had a set of magic medium armor? What's the solution here? TO not include the feat at all? Well, what if I have a character that really wants to wear medium armor and still be stealthy?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

my back pages posted:

Something being worse than something else while competing for the same spot and looking fine at a glance is like the very definition of a trap, scare quotes or not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

It's presented as an option when it's flat out worse than the alternatives. This is called a trap option. Trap options are bad. Either the designers never did the math (bad) or they did but didn't bother fixing it (bad). Someone looking to make a particular dude will take the obvious option to do so and end up with a worse dude. This is bad.

Or they did it intentionally because screw you.

The 3e designers mentioned that toughness was one of the feats they made intentionally sucky to reward system mastery. I suspect the same philosophy carried through.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The solution is to make the feat better, so it's an actually legitimate choice in more than the most extreme edge-cases. Every feat on the list has to compete with gaining +1 to an ability score and proficiency in it's saves (Resilient is really good).

Medium Armor Master has nothing on Savage Attacker though, that's just irredeemable.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

my back pages posted:

What's the solution here? TO not include the feat at all?

It's this.

my back pages posted:

Well, what if I have a character that really wants to wear medium armor and still be stealthy?

Assuming the feat is deleted, you'd have to choose between "wear medium armor and higher AC" or "wear medium armor and be stealthy." Notably, this choice currently exists; all the feat does is muddy the waters and make you think trying to do both is better than using light armor.

Vanguard Warden posted:

The solution is to make the feat better, so it's an actually legitimate choice in more than the most extreme edge-cases.
Agreed.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Medium Armor Master has nothing on Savage Attacker though, that's just irredeemable.

It's basically a +2 to your average damage with :fuckoff: two-handers.
Like a handful of feats, this might be ok once you've maxed out your primary, but probably not before.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

+1.9 :eng101:, but only with a greataxe. It gets worse if you use anything smaller.

Also, you can only use it once per turn. Maybe you can convince your DM to let you use Large-scale weapons?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

my back pages posted:

Do you think taking this feat over +2 dex on a character that has 14 dex and wears medium armor suddenly makes it less than a "reasonably effective character"? What if you had a set of magic medium armor? What's the solution here? TO not include the feat at all? Well, what if I have a character that really wants to wear medium armor and still be stealthy?
Make a version that works. That's the design part of being a designer.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

At that point, why roll at all?
Guilty :eng99:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair, there is a variant rule for that:

Please stop removing items from my extremely short list of things that are remotely interesting about Next, tia.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

Splicer posted:

Make a version that works. That's the design part of being a designer.

That sounds like a lot of work compared to not doing it and having people praise you for what a good job you did anyway.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Xelkelvos posted:

It starts with a v.

It's more rulesfeel - rolling a dice does a good way of physically separating speech that represents the character acting from other speech. It's a rather neglected aspect of design which oddly, the earlier D&Ds did quite well at because they were developed organically.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

hyphz posted:

Thing is, the points buy/array system in 5e is kind of messed up. Basically, the number of points is right for the average of rolled ability scores, but there's also the restriction that you can't have higher than a 15 (or 16 if you use the array).

My thinking about 5e is starting to turn in the direction of "Let people roll and if their dice are poo poo, let them take a point-buy or array."
This is especially compounded by the M.A.D. classes in the game not being all that good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let all your players start with 18s in everything, who gives a gently caress.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Just hit lvl 7 and not sure what two new spells to pick (Abj Wiz). Some of the spells, like Ice Storm and Sskin were found in an enemy's spellbook. Playing in Adventurer's League/Tyranny of Dragons if that matters. R=Ritual, C-* = a Concentration spell targeting *save

0: Firebolt, Minor Illusion, Light, Ray of Frost
1: Alarm, Mage Armor, Shield, Find Familiar (R), Tasha's Hid Laugh(C-Wis), MMiss, Sleep, Burning Hands, Detect Magic (R)
2: Hold Person (C-Wis), Scorching Ray, Phantasmal Force(C-Int), Blindness(Con save, but not a concentrate spell), Misty Step, Suggestion(C-Wis)
3: Hypnotic Pattern(C-Wis), Fireball, Leo's Tiny Hut (R), Counterspell, Fly (C)
4: Ice Storm(Dex), Stone Skin(C)
5: Cone of Cold(Con, not Conc) -Haven't copied to spellbook yet.

I'm considering Dispel Magic and polymorph so that I can turn into a giant ape and punch things, only hesitation is that beasts stop at 8 and I don't have proficiency in Con throws or Warcaster

e* I am correct in assuming that I still have to make a concentrate roll every time I get hit while polymorphed correct? I'm at least two levels behind everyone else and we're about to fight an adult green dragon, and I'm not trying to die.
e2* Was also considering Haste, because our barbarian has the legendary Greatsword Hwarzin from HotDQ, and can put out serious damage.

odinson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 22, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

odinson posted:

I'm at least two levels behind everyone else

wtf? Why am I surprised people still do this regressive crap? So much for worrying about rolling for stats.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Polymorph is pretty ridiculous. Turn yourself into a dinosaur or turn a big enemy into a snail or something. You can also pick up Fabricate to do months' worth of muggle work in 10 minutes, or Greater Invisibility to be immune to any sort of rebuke while you cast spells and attack people (or cast it on the rogue and get free sneak attacks for an entire encounter)

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
The only reason I'm ~ two levels behind is because my normal Adv L. DM is taking 3-4 weeks off to have a kid. I joined another party that is around 3 "episodes" ahead of my group. They're actually in the second book, so I've missed the climax/xp/loot from the big finale in the first. You are supposed/have to be Lvl 8 to start the 2nd book. Only reason I was able to join that one because some folks didn't show in their group, and my friend had started playing in said group weeks prior. So it was either play with them or sit around for over two hours and twiddle my thumbs. Every Sunday, they do these one-shots, called Encounters (I believe). That is where you can get some extra XP, items, and gold. However, I work every Sunday and can not attend.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

odinson posted:

The only reason I'm ~ two levels behind is because my normal Adv L. DM is taking 3-4 weeks off to have a kid. I joined another party that is around 3 "episodes" ahead of my group. They're actually in the second book, so I've missed the climax/xp/loot from the big finale in the first. You are supposed/have to be Lvl 8 to start the 2nd book. Only reason I was able to join that one because some folks didn't show in their group, and my friend had started playing in said group weeks prior. So it was either play with them or sit around for over two hours and twiddle my thumbs. Every Sunday, they do these one-shots, called Encounters (I believe). That is where you can get some extra XP, items, and gold. However, I work every Sunday and can not attend.

I don't get how people do this honestly. If I was sitting down at a table with a bunch of strangers with a character from another game entirely and this was the local rules, I'd miraculously be two levels above everyone else every time. Also would you believe a vorpal sword dropped last session and my DM said I could have all the spells?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
The other game I played it was at a table 15' away. In Adv. Lg you have to record all your stuff earned on a log sheet with everything was gained or lost relevant to your character with the DM's DCI #. Magical Items have their own wotc made cardboard cutouts that have to be signed.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Job requirements:

* All DMs must be certified notaries.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Let all your players start with 18s in everything, who gives a gently caress.

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for 3.P or 5e.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

odinson posted:

The other game I played it was at a table 15' away. In Adv. Lg you have to record all your stuff earned on a log sheet with everything was gained or lost relevant to your character with the DM's DCI #. Magical Items have their own wotc made cardboard cutouts that have to be signed.

Everything about this just makes me want to mess with it. I want to get four friends and start my own table at a league, just throw the magic items at them, have all the monsters die from coronary heart disease when the players enter the room, make everyone level 20, unleash them on the rest of the room. It's like seeing a picture of a nerd adjusting his calculator watch and he's standing right by a pool.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

GrizzlyCow posted:

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for 3.P or 5e.

But... but it would devalue medium and heavy armors! :qq:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dick Burglar posted:

But... but it would devalue medium and heavy armors! :qq:

Use Mithril?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

odinson posted:

okay, if this is how you want to game - more fun to you. But to me it sounds like poo poo, go and play WoW.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Anyone have a rundown of the EE stuff handy? Any standouts?

One of my 5e groups is switching campaigns/DMs and he's including the EE stuff. No word on what the backstory is yet, but I figure I'll play another spellcaster of some kind, especially if it's going to be elemental-themed.

Also, I know this was probably already covered, but it's so amazingly :5e: that the only new class features EE adds are new spells, and they take up over half the PDF.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Something of particular note is evocation wizards. At level 3 they get a feature they makes their damaging cantrips do half damage when the target saves. At level 10, all of their evocation spells get a bonus to their damage rolls equal to their intelligence modifier. In the base spell list available from the PHB, there isn't a single wizard evocation cantrip that triggers a saving throw instead of making an attack roll. EE adds two spells that fit both of these criteria: Frostbite and Thunderclap.

Other than that, Aarakocra have a 50' flight speed and are busted if your DM doesn't come up with ways to hamstring that. Bonfire can be effective if you're creative and can get a bottleneck going, or hold something down on top of it. Absorb Elements is good for when something targets your saving throws and Shield doesn't affect it (and boosts melee spell attacks, not just weapon attacks). Beast Bond seems like a boon for beastmaster rangers, but a lot of good animal companions knock stuff prone anyway. Nothing else seems particularly noteworthy.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

theironjef posted:

Everything about this just makes me want to mess with it. I want to get four friends and start my own table at a league, just throw the magic items at them, have all the monsters die from coronary heart disease when the players enter the room, make everyone level 20, unleash them on the rest of the room. It's like seeing a picture of a nerd adjusting his calculator watch and he's standing right by a pool.
All the adventure's are premade, with the loot, xp, and stuff all accounted for. Which would make that pretty impossible to do.

starkebn posted:

okay, if this is how you want to game - more fun to you. But to me it sounds like poo poo, go and play WoW.
It is by no means my preferred way of playing. It just happened to be my only choice at the time. I think I did a lovely job explaining my exact scenario, and definately don't care enough to go in to it.
In other news, I totally meant to post my question in the newbie advice forum. Mea culpa.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
While I empathize with using Adventurer's League as a sort of "strictly regimented gaming is better than no gaming" solution, it seems to run contrary to the spirit of RPGs to be, well, strictly regimented.

At least with a system that resists pure RAW interpretation as much as 5e does.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

While I empathize with using Adventurer's League as a sort of "strictly regimented gaming is better than no gaming" solution, it seems to run contrary to the spirit of RPGs to be, well, strictly regimented.

I have literally never heard anyone talk about any sort of Living/Organized League roleplaying in a way that didn't make it sound like the most miserable way to spend one's time in existence. All the fun of joyless, petty bureaucracies managed by nerds combined with the typical high standards of quality found in most prewritten adventures, sign me the gently caress up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

At least with a system that resists pure RAW interpretation as much as 5e does.

Why do some people Adventurer's League tabletop RPGs? Why do some people want to be dominated by a person in black leather wielding a whip? I feel like the answers to these questions are related, but alas :iiam:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I have literally never heard anyone talk about any sort of Living/Organized League roleplaying in a way that didn't make it sound like the most miserable way to spend one's time in existence. All the fun of joyless, petty bureaucracies managed by nerds combined with the typical high standards of quality found in most prewritten adventures, sign me the gently caress up.

If there was a sort of tournament style competition and reward setup going on, it'd make more sense. As it is, it seems like organization for the sake of organization. There's also the factor that the system itself isn't rigorously ruled enough to make organised play completely consistent

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I had a lot of fun in the 4E LFR games that went around the Denver area; for a while there were tons of games and people generally ended up playing through adventure lines with mostly the same group. It's not the same kind of fun as a group of friends doing a campaign, sure, but organized play lets you at least feel like you're part of something bigger. Hell, the two Battle Interactives I've been to are personal high points in playing D&D just because they were different from your normal play experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So Sword Coast Legends is apparently already available for pre order for Q3 2015.

What I'm wondering is what are they going to let you put on the Fighter's action bar, or even a low-level Ranger's action bar?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No you see it's actually an advantage not having your UI cluttered up with action bars, some people might be new to computer games and have a hard time finding their way around otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so I did a bit more digging around watched some gameplay videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JKkIBzqK0 (single player gameplay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frJpYU74jo (player-vs-DM gameplay)

The Rogue used Whirlwind Attack, Deathstrike, Misty Step, Substitution. The Fighter used Combat Superiority, Second Wind, Shield Bash, Victorious Surge. They were just defaulting to "attack" an awful lot of the time though.

Also, the abilities had cooldown timers on them, and Vancian casting wasn't enforced, and there was this:

So it's pretty clear that this is only very loosely based on D&D rules much in the same way that the Neverwinter MMO was. The DM mode is interesting because the "DM Threat" mechanic puts a limit on how much of a dick you can be at any one time, but otherwise seems to encourage adversarial play a fair bit.