Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I find I never have issues with having vassal kings forming factions. If anything my big issue is that vassal kings can't keep their poo poo together and implode way too often. That factor is probably my own fault tho. I had a really great Principality of Scandinavia run going, where I had vassal kings all over the show lead under a merchant republic. In theory, that should be a recipe for faction disaster, but it wasn't. And it wasn't that these kings were weak - far from it. I owned all of the crowns in Scandinavia, Finland, Pomerania, whatever was to the East of Finland, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, England and Italy all within my empire, and handed them all out to mostly people who are not even within my dynasty (I gave Italy to my heir because I didn't want to hand out all of the holdings to individual counts myself, he was already married so letting him be more 'AI' wasn't an issue, and needed prestige anyway so I let him declare wars to reclaim all of the holy order holdings).

I tended to find that Finland would often fall apart as a kingdom, Ireland is constantly in succession troubles with different idiots taking over all the time, England doesn't do anything and Italy just tended to go to war against the HRE over and over, losing every time.

I always give the king a strong foothold within his own kingdom, typically a whole duchy to himself when other dukes only get 2 provinces and a random count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They aren't forming factions, and they all like me. The issue is just that they don't really weigh your vote anymore so you can vote for your direct heir but if some lords decide they like a different son for whatever reason they'll vote for him instead. Good relations just means they'll keep your dynasty in power but nothing else is guaranteed.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is it possible to console yourself into feudalism and fill up your levies as a pagan? Because I managed to make the change as Norse Finland last game but my computer broke and I lost that save, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how I did it. I've been trying to replicate the feat as Norse Lithuania and I get instantly prepared invasion'd by at least two neighbors (even my allies!) when I try. Pretty sure I made feudal in the early 800s last game, now it is 930 or so and I don't feel anywhere near being confident enough to try it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Moridin920 posted:

Wow gently caress elective gavelkind.

Guess never ever ever give any sons land that aren't your heirs because all the lords will decide they'd rather vote for the 3rd in line instead and the inheritance gets all kinds of wonky.

There's been a lot of brother killing. I don't know what else is to be expected when the older son gets every single title except for the primary though. It'll also create possible kingdoms automatically and give them to junior sons who can then be independent for free so now I have to kill my younger brother who became king of Scotland.

I get nerfing the pagans but drat that change where the vassal lords vote for whoever they like as long as they are in your dynasty kind of makes it really hard. In the last 4 successions only 1 time have I managed to get the primary title to the right heir because the vassals all switch up their votes right before my current character dies.

Its also completely nonsense, since they will choose the heir at random and specifically not the one you nominate, no matter how great he is and how good are your relations with your vassals.

I also get its intended goal, but its a bullshit gently caress you mechanic and I hate it.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Never have vassal kingdoms, like, ever.
Small vassal kingdoms like Taurica, Georgia and such are perfectly good for reducing your own direct vassal numbers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

No, that doesn't work. I tried a tribal invasion as a Mongol to invade the papacy, won, Pope ended up with a bishopric in another Catholic realm (the HRE so guess who would be pressing his claim.) I think the only time I've seen the Pope actually landless was when I did a map painting exercise and conquered everything Catholic.

There's also Marrakech. Seven holding slots, apparently only two have been built up with the CM start date so you can fill it up with whatever you want. It shouldn't unlock Jihad until 1000. I believe it is de jure capital of Mauretania since it has the most holding slots.

Marrakech is tribal in 769, with only a temple and a tribal holding. It's about the funnest Muslim start imo. The only thing that sucks is that it isn't coastal. It is a part of a coastal duchy though, so you can get capital duchy bonuses for it and make it a bad rear end county. Massat is a 5 holding county that borders it and is coastal, so that can be your republic capital. It's a bit tricky and usually requires some restarts to pull it off, but if you manage to form a republic before the Umayyad steamroll you, it makes for a very fun game as a vassal after you swear fealty to the Umayyad to save your rear end.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Are there any mods that make the Muslim megablobs beatable? They're way too stable and it is kinda boring. Although there was a crusade for Aquitaine recently that succeeded which was neat, I didn't even know that could be a target but it cleaned up the peninsular borders nicely. Doubt they can push any further into Iberia though, Christian Europe is hella balkanized.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Never have vassal kingdoms, like, ever.

That's boring though.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

v 0.2 of Black Death mod is here. Click here for download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eds48ds8b6zqip6/enhanced_black_death%20%282%29.zip?dl=0

Features:
1. Quarantine
2. AllMost religions have MA penalty.
3. New bookmarks.

However, before we go on, one thing:

THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO STOP THE SPREAD OF THE PLAGUE. THE PLAGUE CLOUDS (THE ONES THAT SPREAD THE PLAGUE) THAT SHOW UP ON THE MAP MOVE IN A MANNER THAT APPEARS TO BE HARDCODED. THUS I CANNOT STOP THEM FROM ENTERING A COUNTRY OR MOVING THROUGH ONE.

Ahem.

That said, the quarantine works in a rather different way. It's a bit convoluted, but it was the best I could come up with quickly.

I'll break it down:

1. First, this works through the Quarantine trait.
2. Possessing the quarantine trait adds +3 health and sets the "do_not_disturb" character flag.
3. If you get the Bubonic Plague trait (the actual disease), an event will fire in one day (I couldn't make it instant) that will clear the plague from your stat list. This event is invisible, so don't worry about it clogging up your game.
4. Thus the quarantine trait will greatly reduce your chances of being killed by the plague, but will not stop it entirely. In theory.

That's where you guys come in. I need you guys to test out to see how effective Quarantine is.

In order for Quarantine to become active you must:
1. Be at peace.
2. Not be incapable.
3. Over sixteen.
4. Have 200 prestige.
5. Have 100 gold.

Further more, once you activate Quarantine (this can be done via the Decisions menu), you cannot lift it until 150 days have passed.

Another thing, there are in facts three different Quarantine traits:
1. The one for independents and the only one which can lift the quarantine.
2. One for landed vassals.
3. One for non-landed vassals.

If a character becomes landed or independent but had a quarantine trait for a different category, they will get their required trait and lose their old one.

Also, all MA penalty events have been made except for heretics, Indians, Miaphysites, and Nestorians.

The two bookmarks added are:
1. 1279: Ivaljo the Cabbage, King of Bulgaria. Another interesting character listed here is Khagan Abaga of the Il-Khanate, who is a Nestorian with a Catholic wife.
2. 1304: The Black Death. Listed here as a interesting character is the King of Denmark, because he made for a good testing point.

For the next version, I'll be working on new events and new traits, such as a trait you can get for studying the plague that gives you a learning and intrigue bonus.

Any questions?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
For the custom starts, did you do all the historical rulers or is it randomized? Seems like they would be super time consuming to research and put in.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The best way to deal with Gavelkind is to go full bastard.
Never marry anyone (fertile) and never take any concubines until you have an heir you're happy with. gently caress, shag, seduce and rut your way through every fertile woman within a thousand miles and once you've got an of age heir worthy of the name, legitimize him, have a few more kids just to be on the safe side, then break up with your medium-sized-city of lovers and marry someone for the stats.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Darth Windu posted:

For the custom starts, did you do all the historical rulers or is it randomized? Seems like they would be super time consuming to research and put in.

Remember that the game lets you start at any date between 1066 and 1337, so Paradox has already done the research there and adding a bookmark for those dates is maybe fine minutes work unless you want to tweak a historical character somewhere.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Speaking of which, you should probably mess around with Ivaljo if you haven't already. He has completely random stats and doesn't even get the Peasant Leader trait.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Remember that the game lets you start at any date between 1066 and 1337, so Paradox has already done the research there and adding a bookmark for those dates is maybe fine minutes work unless you want to tweak a historical character somewhere.

Pretty much. Adding a new bookmark between 1066 and 1337 just makes it easier to get to a date.

Tulul posted:

Speaking of which, you should probably mess around with Ivaljo if you haven't already. He has completely random stats and doesn't even get the Peasant Leader trait.

That I should do.

edit: done, just need to test it.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

kingturnip posted:

Never marry anyone (fertile) and never take any concubines until you have an heir you're happy with. gently caress, shag, seduce and rut your way through every fertile woman within a thousand miles and once you've got an of age heir worthy of the name, legitimize him, have a few more kids just to be on the safe side, then break up with your medium-sized-city of lovers and marry someone for the stats.

Yeah but lacking stats for that long is killer

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Just had an idea. What if Ivaljo, after a certain amount of gained prestige, can enact a decision that removes his peasant_leader trait? Call it Coronation or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As a Bulgarian I am excited to play as Ivaljo the Cabbage.

Thanks.

kingturnip posted:

This is actually a good idea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Did this game used to have a way to kill your kids? I think it would be totally realistic for my character to kill off his envious, slothful, arbitrary, homosexual, chaste first son if there were 4 more lined up behind him all with promising stats.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Doltos posted:

Did this game used to have a way to kill your kids? I think it would be totally realistic for my character to kill off his envious, slothful, arbitrary, homosexual, chaste first son if there were 4 more lined up behind him all with promising stats.

Ninety-nine percent sure you can plot to murder them if you don't want to cheat.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

v 0.21 of PlagueMod is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/triqeui3he69g9f/enhanced_black_death%20%283%29.zip?dl=0

I've added more character to Ivaljo.

Here's how he is now. A Skilled Tactician, cruel (he was abusive towards his wife), ambitious (well you have to be if you try to overthrow the king), brave (duh), and a peasant leader (also duh). Arbitrary was added randomly.

Peasant Leader sucks. It's -5 diplomacy and -20 vassal opinion. Also his clothes are awful.

Let's do something about that, shall we?

Excellent.

Check out our new threads.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Doltos posted:

You used to be able to plot against and assassinate your kids. Sadly those glory days are behind us.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you paradox for setting a limit on how much of an immoral shitheel i can be

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Should Ivaljo have a martial skill of 30 or something?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

gently caress you paradox for setting a limit on how much of an immoral shitheel i can be

In my Capua game I married a 16 year old Grey Eminance with Lustful, she slept with my brother and got pregnant, I exiled him, waited til she gave birth to a girl, imprisoned her, executed her, then became betrothed to the baby.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Should Ivaljo have a martial skill of 30 or something?

Ivaljo was a pretty badass guy, but Badass of the Week is all about over the top hyperbole, and the Mongol raids Ivaljo fought weren't the unstoppable death hordes of the early 13th century, though they were still pretty tough. Baibars of Egypt had already shown that the Mongols could be beaten (Baibars was fairly badass as well and had an army of supersoldiers) and Ivaljo was king only for a year before being overthrown. Though I will give him higher base Martial, I'd say he should be in the lower 20s which represents people who are very good generals (you have to be to in order to fight off both the Horde and the Byzantines for a while). 30 is for invincible gods of war like Timur, Haesteinn, and Alp Arslan.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 23, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do i still have the foreign conqueror penalty 100 years and 5 generations after the conquest?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I figured it out! Start as the King of Lombardy, de jure war on Rome, immediately fill up empty holding slots with baronies, then start conquering Ireland and handing off the spoils to my heirs until an heir has an equal title to my character (Kingdom of Ireland unless my Kingdom of Lombardy title gets usurped). Then when my character dies, my heir will be tribal. From there I can give up Lombardy to an independence revolt and focus on building a republic in Ireland. Spend the rest of the game conquering and becoming the Germanic Avar Roman Republic Empire. :getin:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do i still have the foreign conqueror penalty 100 years and 5 generations after the conquest?

Is your ruler still a different culture than your vassals?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
How many years has it been and Badass of the Week still hasn't added Oda Nobunaga :argh:

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Ivaljo was a pretty badass guy, but Badass of the Week is all about over the top hyperbole, and the Mongol raids Ivaljo fought weren't the unstoppable death hordes of the early 13th century, though they were still pretty tough. Baibars of Egypt had already shown that the Mongols could be beaten (Baibars was fairly badass as well and had an army of supersoldiers) and Ivaljo was king only for a year before being overthrown. Though I will give him higher base Martial, I'd say he should be in the lower 20s which represents people who are very good generals (you have to be to in order to fight off both the Horde and the Byzantines for a while). 30 is for invincible gods of war like Timur, Haesteinn, and Alp Arslan.

Why not give him the Jesus gives military advice modifier?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

xXWehrabooXx posted:

Why not give him the Jesus gives military advice modifier?

Well there are stories he got a mission from God. Seriously, Joan of Arc and all that.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Midnight Voyager posted:

I started off being sad that Ivaljo in CK2 didn't have that nickname.

And then I looked at his dynasty. "Bardokva"

Well I wouldn't mind giving him a proper nickname. I also wouldn't mind just doing more stuff just for him.... Peasants DLC incoming!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Groogy posted:

Well I wouldn't mind giving him a proper nickname. I also wouldn't mind just doing more stuff just for him.... Peasants DLC incoming!

:mad:

Please let me finish this mod before you start working on the Black Death. I don't want to feel redundant.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What governs when you get events for your wards? I assume that like most other things in the game it's based on MTTH, but which character (i.e., mine or the ward) has the event firing?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I am trying to reform the Roman empire as the Byzantines starting in 867. So far things have gone pretty well, I have a lot of land in North-Africa, all of southern Italy and hold all the places I need to mend the schism except Rome. But then my emperor goes and dies which wouldn't be a problem because he had some decent heirs but when I was focused on fighting several wars at once I failed to notice that two of those heirs had died and the third one in line was from a different mother and had somehow ended up Occitan and catholic and now I'm playing as him. I was able to become Greek pretty fast but becoming Orthodox is going to take a while and everyone hates my guts.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why the hell does my family coat of arms change when I go from tribal pagan to feudal catholic?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Coat of arms are tied to religions for some reason and reset if you switch, it's pretty dumb. You can redesign them with stock assets if you have the Customizer DLC, but you're poo poo out-of-luck if you don't have it or if you were playing one of the historical dynasties with a unique CoA.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Here's how he is now. A Skilled Tactician, cruel (he was abusive towards his wife), ambitious (well you have to be if you try to overthrow the king), brave (duh), and a peasant leader (also duh). Arbitrary was added randomly.

It's Ivajlo, or Ivaylo, or Ivailo, just fyi. He should also probably have Zealous, too. Slightly more arbitrarily, I might give him Quick, to make up for his stat shortfall and because he was definitely a canny motherfucker.

The coronation event also doesn't really make sense. Ivajlo had himself coronated in real life and claimed to be the legit tsar of Bulgaria, but that and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. It's only worth anything if other rulers recognize your claim and nobody's going to start kowtowing to what they perceive as an upjumped peasant just because of what they would see as an illegitimate ceremony.

How it shakes out in the base game makes more sense to me. Ivajlo gets the Peasant Leader trait for his lifetime, and then by the time his children (who won't have the trait) inherit, they'll be in a much more stable position. Although speaking of which, Ivajlo's succession is kind of complicated, because part of the agreement he made with Maria was that her son by Constantine (Michael Asen II) would inherit. Not sure if you could actually implement that in the game, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Spakstik posted:

What governs when you get events for your wards? I assume that like most other things in the game it's based on MTTH, but which character (i.e., mine or the ward) has the event firing?

An event fires for the ward, which then teeters a response event for the guardian.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tulul posted:

Coat of arms are tied to religions for some reason and reset if you switch, it's pretty dumb. You can redesign them with stock assets if you have the Customizer DLC, but you're poo poo out-of-luck if you don't have it or if you were playing one of the historical dynasties with a unique CoA.

I tried pressing the Ruler Designer button but it didn't work. Is there a separate CoA Customizer DLC?

Edit Oh hey there is and it is 5 dollars. No thank you

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, the peasant leader trait is fine. By the time Bulgaria is in a position to conquer you'll already be one of his many fictional children you'll have who won't be peasant leaders.

Can anyone confirm in that bookmark if the Khan of the Golden Horde has a daughter named Anna? And if so, is she Orthodox? Because if that's the case than you've hit the jackpot.

• Locked thread