Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

this is how my rig ended up tonight making music for an upcoming student film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
huh that system 1 plug out thing is totally not what I thought it was

which is not to say I want one, just that it's not what I thought it was

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tayter Swift posted:

you gently caress go get the ms20!

gently caress I should get a spare one!

fine!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Nice!!!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Disting running v/oct -> hz/v conversion with fuckloads of other modular = juicy '70's prog wank bliss.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

gently caress yeah

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
btw there's a cool tips and tricks YouTube playlist covering paraphony and such at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Y43eupOAVWhx_1j_VdvpYArHulB0c7m

also marc doty has a good series on it tho if you have a modular you don't need it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
tips for making drums: http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/blog/synthesize-your-own-drum-sounds

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i'm opening for andy stott in on may 7 if any of you are in/from chicago come check it out and say hi

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
marc doty's tha man!!! watch his review on the microbrute if you wanna immediately give yourself gearlust and buy one

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I disappointed myself with the microbrutes lfo last night

listened to it directly at the higher rate it basically switches from like 150 to 200 hertz in one step, and if you turn it all the way up it turns off entirely

ill oscilloscope it up tonite but for now c- see me after class

the mooherfooger phaser pedal's lfo otoh is smooth as silk all the way up to 250, shame it's just a triangle tho

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
doty's face is very punchable

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

I disappointed myself with the microbrutes lfo last night

listened to it directly at the higher rate it basically switches from like 150 to 200 hertz in one step, and if you turn it all the way up it turns off entirely

ill oscilloscope it up tonite but for now c- see me after class

the mooherfooger phaser pedal's lfo otoh is smooth as silk all the way up to 250, shame it's just a triangle tho

oscilloscoped it up, maxed the lfo, set it to pulse and god drat it this is not a square wave arturia

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
also as i thought the lfo rate is in divisions of 250hz -- 250, 125, 83.3, 62.5, 41.6

boo hoo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

doesn't an lfo over 30hz or so introduce its own overtones?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

oscilloscoped it up, maxed the lfo, set it to pulse and god drat it this is not a square wave arturia

Are you scoping the LFO out from the matrix panel?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

doesn't an lfo over 30hz or so introduce its own overtones?

lfo over 30hz is just an o and in theory should be just another audio-rate oscillator

Oldstench posted:

Are you scoping the LFO out from the matrix panel?

yeah patching from the patchbay directly into my soundcard

for freqs below 250 it works, square/saq/tri look vaguely like their waveforms and they're certainly audible but it's rather janky

ms20 fares a bit better but tops out around 45hz, and while i havent tried it yet i expect good things from the mooger

neway ms20 patch of the night -- distortion w/o the esp (or any patching at all)

resonant filters gently caress with each other in beautiful ways when their freqs are close and the (normal) oscillators add to the mess

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
bonus patch! i love my 20 so much

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
for those of us who cant translate those images in our heads into what it sounds like can you provide like a little play sample of these?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

for those of us who cant translate those images in our heads into what it sounds like can you provide like a little play sample of these?

faaaaaaaaaaart

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im just saying!

it woudlnt hurt to sample some of 'em :P

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
first patch: https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/ms20-patch-1

second patch: is basically a weird vibrato which soundcloud isnt letting me upload

in summary, faaaaart

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
faaaaaart

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

lfo over 30hz is just an o and in theory should be just another audio-rate oscillator

yeah patching from the patchbay directly into my soundcard

for freqs below 250 it works, square/saq/tri look vaguely like their waveforms and they're certainly audible but it's rather janky

I just realized this is a software scope. The issue is that your audio interface isn't DC-coupled on the inputs. There are filtering caps in place so that you don't blow up your gear by, say, plugging a mixer into your soundcard with phantom power enabled. You want to scope low-frequencies you need to either get a real oscilloscope, get an audio interface that's DC coupled on the inputs, get something like an Expert Sleepers ES-2 with Silent Way's CV Decode plugin, or get a dedicated instrumentation interface for software scoping.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
shouldn't matter once you're in audio range tho, right? i mean a triangle lfo at 220hz should sound like... a triangle wave playing A3.

the brute's lfo is totally audible when i plug it in and max out the rate, it's just that you cant select between 125 and 250 and all the waveforms are triangles

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

shouldn't matter once you're in audio range tho, right? i mean a triangle lfo at 220hz should sound like... a triangle wave playing A3.

the brute's lfo is totally audible when i plug it in and max out the rate, it's just that you cant select between 125 and 250 and all the waveforms are triangles

Yeah. My brain interpreted the 4 ms as Hz for some reason. Yeah, weird. Maybe your's is broken. I'm sure other people would have complained by now if all the LFO waveshapes were triangles.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

Yeah. My brain interpreted the 4 ms as Hz for some reason. Yeah, weird. Maybe your's is broken. I'm sure other people would have complained by now if all the LFO waveshapes were triangles.

it's just when you max out the rate -- actually low lfo rates have the proper waveform

here's that scratchy lo-fi patch i posted a couple pages ago which i really like

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
hmmmmm

think i may have to give this sucker a shot tomorrow or smth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19orQSxbc6Q

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
moogerfooger phaser pedal meanwhile says it's a triangle lfo that maxes out at 250 her--what the gently caress

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
frequency

modulation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

frequency

modulation

played too hard :rip:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

frequency

modulation

dibs on "Flatulent Gongs"

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
same but flatulent dongs

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I probably have a patch with the word dong in its title on, like, every synth I own

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

hmmmmm

think i may have to give this sucker a shot tomorrow or smth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19orQSxbc6Q

not only should this have been available via coremidi already, but it's only a matter of time before the core audio team at apple releases their half-assed version of it

see also: inter-app audio, bluetooth midi

such is the circle of improvement on ios

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
music status: experimenting with analog fm

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
TIL that ThrillseekerXTC black/blue arent just different skins but black is for people who know how to mix and blue is for people who mix to -10dB RMS

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
oh and now, 4 days after i had to send in my monitors for repair, my loving harddrive crapped out on me (the boot drive on my production computer)

AWESOME

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

music status: experimenting with analog fm

music status: trying to figure out why the gently caress channel 2 on my ES-1 is suddenly only putting out negative voltages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Oldstench posted:

music status: trying to figure out why the gently caress channel 2 on my ES-1 is suddenly only putting out negative voltages

as in only the negative voltage parts are outputted?

then my guess is on the V+ rail on the channel 2 amp, or the amp itself (blown internally)

EDIT: assuming this is the right service manual according to the analog out page both channels are amped with the same IC (IC5, a pretty standard TDA1308T/N1). It is powered by the 7VDC analog power rail.

As both channels are amped with the same IC and therefore both powered off the same connection and you're getting issues with only one of two channels then i dont think its power issues. do you have any test instruments? I would try the following:

1. Do you have the same issue with the headphone out? If so then the problem lies BEFORE the amplification stage
2. If not, does IC5 runs hotter than say IC8 (the headphone amp)? This would suggest an internal failure
3. If you have a multimeter check the 7V analog rail (but I'm pretty sure it's fine)
4. If you have a scope look at the signal coming into the amp, if it's missing the positive voltage then the problem is before the amp.
5. If you have a scope look at the signal at the amp's output, is it hosed? If not go further into the signal up to the jack and you are bound to find WHERE it fucks up

Olivil fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 27, 2015

• Locked thread