Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i tried blood starved beast about 5 times today before i had to stop playing and let my roomie use the tv. my best attempt involved not locking on and baiting it into swipes that i rolled through, and then punished it with a strong attack. that worked out pretty well, but getting caught once in its freak-out attack is an instant kill for me at my level. i'll have to keep at it tomorrow. can you parry this thing, out of curiosity?

you can parry it, at least some of the attacks. Idk if all of them are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the load times are just now getting to me. i hope that gets patched asap.

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i tried blood starved beast about 5 times today before i had to stop playing and let my roomie use the tv. my best attempt involved not locking on and baiting it into swipes that i rolled through, and then punished it with a strong attack. that worked out pretty well, but getting caught once in its freak-out attack is an instant kill for me at my level. i'll have to keep at it tomorrow. can you parry this thing, out of curiosity?

you can parry the ones that arent leaps i think

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
you can parry him but i find that gets pretty risky in his last phase. i just dodge through his poo poo and hit his rear end until he dies.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AHungryRobot posted:

you can parry him but i find that gets pretty risky in his last phase. i just dodge through his poo poo and hit his rear end until he dies.

i will do that. maybe buy some more molotovs too...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

the load times are just now getting to me. i hope that gets patched asap.

It's coming, soon. That's when I'm going to start playing again

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
they really should have let you warp without having to go to the hunter's dream every time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's not terrible, but it's just enough where it's making it tedious to do this boss run over and over

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Dodge towards him to your right and all his attacks will go over you. Sometimes he ends up too far away to punish him, in which case just wait for his next move. If you want to make the fight super easy mode throw an oil urn at him to start and use fire paper

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that's paper.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
does fire paper not consume the oil effect? i know molotovs do.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i took a second shot, and beat him just by rolling without using consumables. i'm glad i played my last two souls games no shield, because it's made me 100 times better at dodging and attacking without a lock-on.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had the sack guys spoiled for me, but this place is still pretty cool. i gotta hand it to a modern game dev for making a place that players are trapped in

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Patch 1.03 is LIVE folks, load times are now 5 - 15 seconds.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
they got rid of the skips and the cannon now takes 12 bullets per shot.

Dec 26, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

:eyepop:

AHungryRobot posted:

they got rid of the skips and the cannon now takes 12 bullets per shot.

skips?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you used to be able to get to the forbidden woods lantern from the very beginning of the game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

woha poo poo nice

gonna wreck some bosses 2nite

Dec 26, 2012

you used to be able to get to the forbidden woods lantern from the very beginning of the game

oh ok

guessing there aren't patch notes anywhere?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From nerfed the cannon. It now takes 12 bullets instead of 10 :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Load times aren't 5-15 seconds. They're 5-15 seconds shorter. They're still pretty long. They put item descriptions there like Dark Souls now, though.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
This is the first souls game my wife is a boss at. She can land visceral attacks and even killed the cleric demon first try! I'm only coaching her through boss fights she's finally confident enough to run around.

And shes high, she beat the cleric demon high as gently caress:swoon:

Violent past with cover weapons is a really good new player mix. having stopping power on your gun reach and speed on your weapon and good early game defenses for when you gently caress up.

SleepySonata fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

From nerfed the cannon. It now takes 12 bullets instead of 10 :(

You still get three shots per 20 bullets though so it doesn't really change much

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
im playeing this. i chose the axe/halberd as my starting weapon, but ill probably change it once i pick something else up. do u really need ps+ to play this online? i got a free trial anyway.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

im playeing this. i chose the axe/halberd as my starting weapon, but ill probably change it once i pick something else up. do u really need ps+ to play this online? i got a free trial anyway.

ya you gotta pay nowadays

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

im still using the axe and probably wont stop using the axe, because its the best

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

from my experience you're swimming in upgrade mats after a while, and can farm at least the early ones, so feel free to go wild w/ trying out weapons and upgrading them in the first tier

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
axe is really strong as the starter weapon its what I picked my first time through and the 2 hand form owns. I've run through several times though and I think my personal favorite is the saw cleaver cause its so quick and versatile

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
wait how do we know amygdala is femLe

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Axe is a good choice.

sector_corrector posted:

from my experience you're swimming in upgrade mats after a while, and can farm at least the early ones, so feel free to go wild w/ trying out weapons and upgrading them in the first tier

Blood stone chunks (needed to go from +6 to +9) can be a huge pain so don't waste them. If you explore a whole bunch you'll get enough to get two weapons to +9 and one to +8, but after that you gotta grind and the drop rate on them is really lovely.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

Axe is a good choice.

Blood stone chunks (needed to go from +6 to +9) can be a huge pain so don't waste them. If you explore a whole bunch you'll get enough to get two weapons to +9 and one to +8, but after that you gotta grind and the drop rate on them is really lovely.

that's good to know... so far i've only gotten as far as first finding the twin bloodstones

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i have to grind bullets cos i ran into father gascgoine first + i dropped like 10k souls there -_______-

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
how fast does the homeward bone thing work? i mite just grab them and bone out and come back later. could i parry him then use it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

how fast does the homeward bone thing work? i mite just grab them and bone out and come back later. could i parry him then use it?

its a good second or two, a bit longer than you want but i used it to escape bosses before so that should work, you could also try just having him far away from you or stuck on one of the tombstones

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the load time patch is freakin sweet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

did that also fix the rest mode bug where the bosses would forget most of their moves?

Yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

zen death robot posted:

did that also fix the rest mode bug where the bosses would forget most of their moves?
it resets the game when you come out of rest mode now, but idk if they actually fixed the boss stuff, it happened if you just played the game for awhile too w/o resting

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Take THAT Logarius

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

You still get three shots per 20 bullets though so it doesn't really change much

No, you only get two. You need runes to get three shots or more now. You used to be able to get 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oh your right, my math was off by one. bummer.