Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stormgale posted:

The most important foreshadowing Followed through with:

Everyone is gay. Dirk's gay, Dave's gay, Kark's gay, Rose and Kanaya are gay, I'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IUG posted:

Pro: Rose may not have become a lush.

Con: She may have not hooked up with Kanaya.
In the She's 8ack flash, Kanaya and Rose are still very close to each other when Jade meets them. Also, she's dressed up for her date in that picture, so I think the major takeaway is that Vriska prevented her from developing a drinking problem.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Davekat seems like a pretty good ship, if only because we'd get more Dave/Karkat conversations.

Chances of Hussie pointing out that Dave has never said he isn't into dudes at this point?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Moonsetter is such a good song.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Action Shakespeare posted:

hussie needed to get a bunch of different artists to help in that flash because hes physically unable to draw people being happy and living worthwhile lives

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I liked Cool Vriska looking at Lame Vriska and having a confused reaction.

Unless that's Aranea, and what would have happened sans-Vriska.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Moonsetter is a really nice track.

And truly the only bad thing that happened this flash is that Tavrosprite means that Jane's great freakout face over Tavrisprite does not exist in this universe. :rip:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tavros being back by himself to be Jane's sprite and being brought back by Vriska seems like a nice olive branch.

Also, the biggest shipping impression I got was Terezi <> Vriska.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Y'all missed the best part.

it says Vriskagram on top

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And Mayor <> everybody.

As somebody said upthread, this is going to make Jade's experience especially harsh by contrast. "Hi Dave, I'm so glad to take up where we left -- WHY IS YOUR TONGUE DOWN THAT TROLL'S THROAT" [goes grimdark again]

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jeez Vriska don't just go around carrying Equius' head like a Basketball.

Also Jane please work out.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

These two flashes are the first update in, like, two years or more, I felt feels like "classic" A-game Homestuck, and it was like seeing an old friend again. An old friend who exists solely to confuse and overwhelm you with the best kind of insanity.

We never left the stump, indeed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kurloz facepalming over Gamzee's girl problems :allears:

But yeah, everything seems to be going really well so far, so I assume we're about 30 seconds from it all turning to poo poo and then hitting the fan.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 23, 2015

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The more I look, the more I'm convinced that Vriska's seeing Aranea, not herself. The hair is an adaptation of Aranea's shorter bangs, and Aranea is the only Alpha troll not represented elsewhere.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

IUG posted:

Pro: Rose may not have become a lush.

Con: She may have not hooked up with Kanaya.

Looks like she does, but Vriska saves her from being super drunk the only way she knows how.

By being a "huge 8itch (8luh 8luh)".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As somebody said upthread, this is going to make Jade's experience especially harsh by contrast. "Hi Dave, I'm so glad to take up where we left -- WHY IS YOUR TONGUE DOWN THAT TROLL'S THROAT" [goes grimdark again]

After years and years of not doing so this would make a good opportunity for Hussie to finally call back to Jade's long forgotten short term memory finger bands. She's just like, "Oh dave I just remembered something thanks to my finger bands! woof" and she just holds up the one on her middle finger and she's just flipping him off and that's the whole callback

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So now we're sitting here going "Whose is the current continuity -- Vriska's Instagram or Caliborn's Claymation?" Did the Retjohn prevent Caliborn's future?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

WAR FOOT posted:

The more I look, the more I'm convinced that Vriska's seeing Aranea, not herself. The hair is an adaptation of Aranea's shorter bangs, and Aranea is the only Alpha troll not represented elsewhere.

Nope, no glasses. It's just the artist's different style.

So the real question is if Vriska pops out of existence and then back into existence from Meenah's POV.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So now we're sitting here going "Whose is the current continuity -- Vriska's Instagram or Caliborn's Claymation?" Did the Retjohn prevent Caliborn's future?

Both? I don't see how they're mutually exclusive. What we saw in the claymations is in the future.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Action Shakespeare posted:

people being happy and living worthwhile lives
:yayclod:

Bongo Bill posted:

Dollars to donuts this is meant to be a contrast to how lovely a time Jade had being alone except for chess people and reptiles.
:smithcloud:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am left wanting and unsatisfied by this upd8, and I am having an hard time understanding why.
Maybe it's because all these good things are happening because of Worst Troll, so it's probably going to backfire in some way.
Maybe because the whole thing feels weird, because since when is the spidertroll this communicative and team-focused?

I dunno, I'll sleep on it, watch it again and try to reach a conclusion.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

Kurloz facepalming over Gamzee's girl problems :allears:

I think it's more Vriska is loving up the whole gently caress up Terezi plan?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Also Jane please work out.
Never trust a thin baker.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

You seem to have made an error there, chum.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

CJacobs posted:

Everyone is gay. Dirk's gay, Dave's gay, Kark's gay, Rose and Kanaya are gay, I'm gay

I always knew Dave would be a great SA poster

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GeneX posted:

my big takeaway is that jane needs to work out

I know Vriska was pointing with her thumb at Tavrossprite but I can't help but think she was really saying "HAHAHA Get a load of that Jane, she think's SHE is fat..."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That was cute and I'm happy everyone seems to have fared better over the three year span with Vriska (except, sadly, Jade). Maybe now Dave won't be such a neurotic piece of poo poo when he gets to the session.

My stubborn hope is that to many dramatic, impactful scenes (like the first big Alpha/Beta/Troll meetup, or Dave and Dirk, or Roxy and Rose, etc) were deliberately skipped over in the doomed-Alpha story because Hussie didn't want to do them twice, and we'll get to see them here.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vriska's Instagram account is real, by the way. Almost all the images from the flash are posted there.

https://instagram.com/thevriskaserket/

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am left wanting and unsatisfied by this upd8, and I am having an hard time understanding why.
Maybe it's because all these good things are happening because of Worst Troll, so it's probably going to backfire in some way.
Maybe because the whole thing feels weird, because since when is the spidertroll this communicative and team-focused?

I dunno, I'll sleep on it, watch it again and try to reach a conclusion.

Wasn't what drove Vriska to being a totally lovely person in the first place was a constant sense of alienation and constant fear for her life from Spidermom? Sounds like some proper being around other people who don't want to eat her alive would do her a lot of good.

And therefore do everyone else a lot of good! Like help Rose not be an alcoholic in proper light player fashion.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ramos posted:

Wasn't what drove Vriska to being a totally lovely person in the first place was a constant sense of alienation and constant fear for her life from Spidermom? Sounds like some proper being around other people who don't want to eat her alive would do her a lot of good.

And therefore do everyone else a lot of good! Like help Rose not be an alcoholic in proper light player fashion.
She had to be very competitive because the games she played with other trolls was how she got food for spidermom, and that likely led to her being fairly alienated from others.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, slapping the cup out of Rose's hand is probably the only 'out of character' thing for Vriska. Unless Rose said something sarcastic to her while she was drunk, I suppose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, slapping the cup out of Rose's hand is probably the only 'out of character' thing for Vriska. Unless Rose said something sarcastic to her while she was drunk, I suppose.

It's not terribly out of character. Either Rose was making her look bad, or she didn't want Rose to gently caress up her and kanaya's relationship, wanting to see something good happen for the resident Fashion Vampire after the bullshit she got put through by...well Vriska herself.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

All the content was really heartwarming, but quality on the art seemed to fluctuate. Dominic Deegan-esque side mouth as they watch the dancing, and I'm just not a fan of the Steven Universe style tree trunk limbs.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I don't see how solving problems by in a brash and forceful manner is at all unlike Vriska. She probably did it solely to help deal with Rose's drinking problem. Granted, there's more eloquent ways of going about that, but this is still Vriska, better person now or no.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Color Printer posted:

Both? I don't see how they're mutually exclusive. What we saw in the claymations is in the future.
The thing is, AR sprite doesn't exist now. I think the claymations occur in yet another timeline that produces the original lil cal.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

She still made Lord English, and thus is still directly responsible for the creation of her own worst enemy, probably for the same reason she made Jack; so she could be the one who destroyed the universe.

This is still the Vriska we all know and love argue about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

The thing is, AR sprite doesn't exist now. I think the claymations occur in yet another timeline that produces the original lil cal.

Actually he...MAYBE does.

It could be very easy to have Vriska talk Dirk into throwing AR and Equius together.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

There's AR, Equisus's remains, and a sprite that needs to be prototyped two times, all in the same scene, with Vriska gesturing towards it.

ARSprite's totally gonna happen.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

How did I miss Karkat and Dave DJ'ing in the background the first time. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ramos posted:

What drove Vriska to be a manipulative rear end was a desire to live up to her ancestor and be the most awesome person in existence much like Mindfang. And this meant she pretty much saw herself and her 'story' as the most important thing in The universe, above her friends and basic morals.