Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
So with Chavez jr thoroughly humiliated against Fonfara, what are the odds that Froch will keep talking about fighting the dude? Will Junior even sell tickets anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

CommonShore posted:

I'm watching Matthysse-Provodnikov on a replay right now. These guys are so good, despite the fact that they have losses to the top guys right now.

How good is boxing right now? I'm enjoying it, despite all of the bullshit that comes with trying to follow boxing. Imagine how awesome it would be to watch boxing right now if it wasn't for all of the boxing bullshit. I hope that the premiere fights thing on regular TV keeps picking up steam.

Could Matthysse-Canelo happen? Or is the size difference too great?

Boxing right now is pretty great. It's far too international a sport to "die", as its ignorant detractors have been predicting for many years now, but boxing was in the wilderness for about a dozen years as far as American media presence went. This was mainly due to the eastern European Klitschko brothers dominating the heavyweight division, which is seen as the marquee division in boxing, and has had a history of American dominance since the sport first mandated gloved fists. The 1990s of course had Riddick Bowe, Evander Holyfield, and Mike Tyson, but since then, there's basically been 0 relevant American heavyweights, as most American athletes of that size went into basketball or football. As a result, American media stopped covering the heavyweight division, and boxing coverage in general in the States took a big hit because of that. You could also blame a lack of crossover American boxing stars in lower divisions (other than Oscar de la Hoya and now Floyd Mayweather, there's been very few mainstream-recognizable new American boxers in the last 15 years), and the explosion of the popularity of the UFC, which has no shortage of American talent and is capable of forcing the best fighters the fight eachother, which has long been a problem in boxing due to its total lack of unifying infrastructure.

With this PBC thing, and all of these great matchups on free/network television, boxing is as strong as it has been since the 1990s at least. Also consider that the heavyweight division is about to turn over a new generation, one that should have at least one elite American presence in Deontay Wilder, as well as a couple of British talents in Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua. The heavyweight division improving as well as being dominated by American, or at least native English speaking fighters should do wonders for boxing's media coverage in the west, which never had any time for the Klitschkos.

Boxing will always be a bit of a mess due to the lack of a UFC style centralized league, the different corrupt sanctioning bodies, the rival promoters and television networks, etc, but I have been following boxing since the early 90s, and this is the best it's felt in a long time.

To answer your other question, Canelo is 2 full weight classes above Matthyse, and Canelo will likely end up at middleweight (160 pounds) before too long. Matthyse is an average/smallish junior welterweight (140), so no, they will never fight.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Mr. Belpit posted:

So with Chavez jr thoroughly humiliated against Fonfara, what are the odds that Froch will keep talking about fighting the dude? Will Junior even sell tickets anymore?

I can't imagine that the crowd who has actually supported JCC Jr. up to this point would continue to do so. Everything about the guy is just humiliating right now, and I don't think he could sell tickets like a Floyd Mayweather or Adrien Broner (where a portion of the people are paying almost exclusively to see the guy lose).

Now that I've finally seen him get his (actual non-Martinez) comeuppance, I don't really care to ever see him fight again.

Ok ok, I would still love to see GGG wipe the foor with him

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

To answer your other question, Canelo is 2 full weight classes above Matthyse, and Canelo will likely end up at middleweight (160 pounds) before too long. Matthyse is an average/smallish junior welterweight (140), so no, they will never fight.

Yeah that's what I figured. Provodnikov seemed to be quite a bit bigger, but I wasn't sure if that was because Provodnikov is huge for the class, or Matthyse is small. I saw on wikipedia that he had moved a bit between jw and w, while Canelo has fought at w and sw. That's too bad, because it'd be a good fight, but if there's that much size difference I wouldn't want to subject Matthyse to it. He doesn't strike me as being of a style that can deal with a bigger opponent who would outmuscle him, which Canelo certainly would.

Guess we'll just get to see him in more cool fights at jw/w. Woe is us. Boxing is dying, right? :aaaaa:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF76dlQt23c

Are we doing a seperate thread for MayPac?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

we're all boycotting it

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF76dlQt23c

Are we doing a seperate thread for MayPac?

I'm working on it and should have it done either today (hopefully!!) or tomorrow.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm working on it and should have it done either today (hopefully!!) or tomorrow.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed

poo poo like this is making this fight seem very meh less than two weeks out.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This is a pretty trippy article about Pacquiao: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/04/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-fight.html

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
I'm stupid, is there a way to watch the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight online pay per view?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That was good, I like it.

Terebus posted:

I'm stupid, is there a way to watch the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight online pay per view?

Because this is boxing, I find it unlikely.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Terebus posted:

Depends on where you live (Philippines, Sweden), there is a megapost on /r/boxing with all the different venues you'll be able to watch.

In summary I'm gonna watch a lovely :filez: stream for lack of better options. I'd probably even pay real money if I could.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
As a filthy millennial cord cutter what is my best option to watch fights regularly? I do have basic Channels so I can watch the fights that are on nbc if I could figure out when they are.

Is YouTube the best place to catch up? I'm thinking I'll look up good fights from last year and watch those to start.

On that note: outside of Floyd who's got the best defense fighting today. I love watching the turn of the century guys like Archie Moore and willie Pep. If I could watch that in modern HD I would be so happy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

turn of the century guys like Archie Moore and willie Pep

:staredog:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

What era is that called? In retrospect yeah it's not really right to say turn the the century. I guess I'm thinking the fighters from like 1930- 1950 before ali/Frazier/foreman but still have some kind of film presence.

Idk someone give me the boxing generations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

On that note: outside of Floyd who's got the best defense fighting today. I love watching the turn of the century guys like Archie Moore and willie Pep. If I could watch that in modern HD I would be so happy.

Guillermo Rigondeaux. (or Andre Ward, I suppose, but he doesn't really fight much these days)

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Xguard86 posted:

What era is that called? In retrospect yeah it's not really right to say turn the the century. I guess I'm thinking the fighters from like 1930- 1950 before ali/Frazier/foreman but still have some kind of film presence.

Idk someone give me the boxing generations.

Yeah, Archie Moore was born in 1916. I'd call that early-to-mid century, I guess.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

As a filthy millennial cord cutter what is my best option to watch fights regularly? I do have basic Channels so I can watch the fights that are on nbc if I could figure out when they are.

Is YouTube the best place to catch up? I'm thinking I'll look up good fights from last year and watch those to start.

Apart from NBC / CBS most of the big fights these days are still on HBO. I hear there's a new HBO streaming service called HBO Now that may be worth looking into. A lot of us stream from other sources so if you're around on fight night you may be able to get a link. In my opinion the best source for upcoming fights is Bad Left Hook's schedule.

Youtube is probably the best place for fights that have already happened unless you want to go full-on torrents, which are around online if you know where to look.

Most of the really good defensive fighters don't fight all that often unfortunately. But as others mentioned, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Andre Ward are guys to watch if you like great defense, and you can probably find some of their fights on Youtube.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

sigmachiev posted:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed

poo poo like this is making this fight seem very meh less than two weeks out.

Looks like they reached an agreement!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12742805/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-ticket-deal-done

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Does anyone here listen to tha boxing voice radio show? I think it's a pretty entertaining source of boxing news and commentary.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Quick thought exercise: bigger underdog?

Bryant Jennings vs Wlad
Willie Monroe jr. Vs GGG

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Monroe. Wlad has at least shown that he's got weaknesses.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Apart from NBC / CBS most of the big fights these days are still on HBO. I hear there's a new HBO streaming service called HBO Now that may be worth looking into. A lot of us stream from other sources so if you're around on fight night you may be able to get a link. In my opinion the best source for upcoming fights is Bad Left Hook's schedule.

Youtube is probably the best place for fights that have already happened unless you want to go full-on torrents, which are around online if you know where to look.

Most of the really good defensive fighters don't fight all that often unfortunately. But as others mentioned, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Andre Ward are guys to watch if you like great defense, and you can probably find some of their fights on Youtube.

I've been on the fence about getting the HBO streaming service maybe this will tip me over. I'll have to keep my eyes open and put together a YouTube list

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Lionel Richie posted:

Monroe. Wlad has at least shown that he's got weaknesses.

I would agree with that, but Jennings is small and doesn't have a ton of pop.

I've enjoyed Monroe's confidence in the leadup to the fight, but I don't know how effective he's going to be in attempting to Not Get Knocked Out Against GGG.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I wasn't under the impression Monroe could bang either though. At least Jennings can have like fat dude power on his side.

Either way it's not like its time to parlay both fights going the distance or anything.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I was excited when the agreement was announced. Was hoping that the tickets would be going on sale some time tonight but now who knows when they go. I just want to at least be able to try at them sheesh.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Have you gone ahead and bought closed circuit tickets? I really don't want to pay the $150 or whatever that they're charging per person.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Have you gone ahead and bought closed circuit tickets? I really don't want to pay the $150 or whatever that they're charging per person.

No tickets are even out yet including the closed circuit I believe. I am hearing a lot of people are cancelling their reservations cause of all this craziness. I might cancel my booking and try to snipe a suite. They wouldn't offer me one initially I bet a bunch just opened up.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i bet you can get tickets on the street on the day of the fight from some money team dude for cheap enough. gonna be a total buyer's market the day of the fight now they've left it so late to flood the market

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Quick thought exercise: bigger underdog?

Bryant Jennings vs Wlad
Willie Monroe jr. Vs GGG

Technically Monroe but realistically they're the same underdog in neither have a shot. Beating Klitschko requires power or size, and Jennings has neither. Monroe has no power or size either, which matters more at lower weight divisions because in the heavyweight division, everyone technically has power if they land flush.

I like Jennings as a personality but I don't know what he's doing here. It's like he's cashing out. He was Deontay Wilder's immediate mandatory, which is a much more winnable fight for him than Klitschko is. If Jennings had fought Wilder and won, he'd have the WBC strap and would have been able to get a lot more money to fight Wlad. It's like he and his team realize that he got lucky to become so highly ranked, and they're going to try to make as much money as they can immediately before Jennings loses to an inferior fighter and compromises his worth. Based on his iffy performance against Mike Perez, it wouldn't be surprising.

But yeah Monroe is small, has 6 KOs in 20 fights, and hasn't beaten anyone even ranked in the top 10. He's going to be slaughtered.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 23, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What are the best Pacquiao fights I should get caught up on? I'm kind of a Floyd fan, just cause he's so obviously a master of the sport. That said, he's a dick, and I'd love to root against him :-P

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Personally I'd stay away from the Bradley, Clottey, and Mosley fights. The only recent Pac fights I'd watch are the Marquez ones even if they might not make you believe in him versus Floyd, they're still great entertainment. However If you start with the Cotto fight in 09 and work your way back you'll be like "whoa"

But there are better boxing historians in this thread who could give you specific matches to check out. I just know I paid for the Mosley fight and I'm still upset this many years later.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

What are the best Pacquiao fights I should get caught up on? I'm kind of a Floyd fan, just cause he's so obviously a master of the sport. That said, he's a dick, and I'd love to root against him :-P

barerra 1, marquez 1, morales 1, marquez 2, cotto, margarito, marquez 3 and 4

then watch the first bradley fight as a reminder of how he looks when he's off the roids/ preview of the floyd fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i thought he looked great in the second bradley fight. but basically watch the jmm series. it's all good

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Depends on where you live (Philippines, Sweden), there is a megapost on /r/boxing with all the different venues you'll be able to watch.

In summary I'm gonna watch a lovely :filez: stream for lack of better options. I'd probably even pay real money if I could.

Cool, thanks for the answers pol and Mr. Dancing Polar Bear.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Looks like tickets go on sale at 3pm eat today. Closed circuit will go on sale at 6pm.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I like Jennings as a personality but I don't know what he's doing here. It's like he's cashing out. He was Deontay Wilder's immediate mandatory, which is a much more winnable fight for him than Klitschko is. If Jennings had fought Wilder and won, he'd have the WBC strap and would have been able to get a lot more money to fight Wlad. It's like he and his team realize that he got lucky to become so highly ranked, and they're going to try to make as much money as they can immediately before Jennings loses to an inferior fighter and compromises his worth. Based on his iffy performance against Mike Perez, it wouldn't be surprising.

I think they are cashing him out to an extent (it's difficult for me to express how unimpressed I was with him in the Perez fight), but at least it's to the legit heavyweight champion of the world. He could have fought Deontay, but I'm thinking that it will still be available even if Jennings loses to Wlad (and holy loving poo poo if he actually wins). The opposite probably isn't true.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
General question but specific to the Mayweather/Pacquaio donnybrook, can you buy PPV access online? Like I'll email Bob Arum the goddamn money if it's possible.

Or, even better, I could read the thread.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Definitely Rigondeaux for the second best defense in the sport. Also watch this for insights into defense and inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Surfing Turtle posted:

Looks like tickets go on sale at 3pm eat today. Closed circuit will go on sale at 6pm.

were you able to get any?

• Locked thread