Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

yeah, youtube search refuses to remember any filters, google search remembers filters just fine.

and some times i think youtube search returns videos where some of the search terms appeared in the related videos or something. not the actual video though.

youtube just sucks at remembering anything except embarrassing videos you'd wish it'd forget

they still haven't figured out that i never eer ever want to see annotations and that autoplay shouldn't be enabled

it'd be google's worst failure if android didn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

when i sign into any chrome browser on any machine, it remembers the plguins i have installed and automatically downloads and runs adblock

why are you so afraid of ads?

its not the ads you should be afraid of, its the company that tracks, analyzes and compiles massive databases of information about literally everything. they even know about your secret preference for bbw hentai

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
youtube is straight up horrible

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

its not the ads you should be afraid of, its the company that tracks, analyzes and compiles massive databases of information about literally everything. they even know about your secret preference for bbw hentai

yeah but that posters retort is "google is an advertising company lmfao, not a tech company!! :smug:" and nothing to do with that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

yeah but that posters retort is "google is an advertising company lmfao, not a tech company!! :smug:" and nothing to do with that

they use that information for advertising. hth

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

they use that information for advertising. hth

yeah but whats the alternative? they are tracking you whether you are signed in or not

be like RMS? maybe, but no thanks

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
today is the day I'm migrating from gmail to fastmail for good.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

yeah but whats the alternative? they are tracking you whether you are signed in or not

be like RMS? maybe, but no thanks

a big problem is that there aren't many viable free ones for most google services (which got people used to expecting those services for free). i was responding to "why be afraid of ads?" with "its google in general you should be afraid of"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
death

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

youtube just sucks at remembering anything except embarrassing videos you'd wish it'd forget

they still haven't figured out that i never eer ever want to see annotations and that autoplay shouldn't be enabled

it'd be google's worst failure if android didn't exist

no it's perfect because more ad impressions

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Granbar posted:

what about eg using gandi's free-with-domain email

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i don't block ads because i'm a colossal idiot with no self respect

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so google is disrupting cellular by becoming a reseller and marking up the prices?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

so google is disrupting cellular by becoming a reseller and marking up the prices?

does ting still have that problem where its lte coverage is even worse than actual carrier sprint's?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Granbar posted:

iCloud dumb arse

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
project semper fi games

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PleasureKevin posted:

they've invented an algorithm which prioritizes a user's packets according to how close they are to canceling.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

how many bits of LTE can i buy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i care deeply about the technology behind my phone internet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah but you get to roam between sprint AND t-mobile with google lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mishaq posted:

yeah but you get to roam between sprint AND t-mobile with google lol

does the US have like really bad wireless data?

also lol that they're advertising the ability to use wi-fi.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

sprint and t-mobile sure do

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

before 2011:
at&t's 3G network was overloaded from smartphones, but they started upgrading it
t-mobile was late to the 3G game because they didn't have any spectrum, but when they launched 3G it was fast, but only in major cities
sprint was terrible because its both cdma and sprint
verizon's cdma data network was overloaded from smartphones and had no path to grow

2011-2012:
verizon launches lte first
at&t doesnt have enough spectrum to launch lte to the scale verizon is so theyre slower/shittier
tmobile expands their 3G/"4G" network and rolls out LTE
sprint is still terrible

2012-2013:
at&t tries to buy t-mobile to get their spectrum to make their network less lovely, fails
t-mobile gets $4 billion from the failed merger and extra spectrum, goes into overdrive deploying lte
verizon's lte network matures and covers most of the us
sprint is still terrible, they slowly begin installing lte in major metros

2013-present:
verizon is good but expensive
at&t is ok but expensive
t-mobile is great if you're in a major metro area, but lol if you arent
sprint is still terrible

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

afaik, nobody else is doing VoIP over wifi (unless you count T-Mobile's thing where you attach a short range cell base station to your cable modem because their network is so crap)

and transparently switching calls between wifi and cell is also genuinely new

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

afaik, nobody else is doing VoIP over wifi (unless you count T-Mobile's thing where you attach a short range cell base station to your cable modem because their network is so crap)

iPhone does voice over wifi

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

t-mobile has been doing voip over wifi since forever in the us

and they're the first carrier to do it on the iphone

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i bet the switching thing to different networks is gonna drain battery like crazy. and as u should expect with google's software, they'll issue an update that fixes it but doesnt really

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

not really, they've just created an MVNO that can roam on both networks

the phone chipset should be smart enough to only switch when it's logical to do so

it's more of a "ok, for a while now i'm somewhere with a really strong t-mobile signal and a really weak sprint signal, let me switch"

or "hey i just came out of airplane mode, let me scan all available networks. i dont see t-mobile here, better connect to sprint"

there wont/cant be any inter t-mobile/sprint handoffs in real time during a call for a variety of technical reasons

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

unless they just do VoIP all the time and switch at will between LTE on T-Mobile, LTE on Sprint and WiFi

although I'd guess that'd break if you lose LTE coverage entirely and can't just fall back to normal cellular voice

of course, the fallback could dial into some magic Google Voice number and reconnect to the existing call

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

unless they just do VoIP all the time and switch at will between LTE on T-Mobile, LTE on Sprint and WiFi

although I'd guess that'd break if you lose LTE coverage entirely and can't just fall back to normal cellular voice

of course, the fallback could dial into some magic Google Voice number and reconnect to the existing call

doing straight OTT VoIP on cellular data connections would be retarded because the cellular network would just treat the call like any other packet data, low priority and make no effort to preserve the state between handoffs, since packet data can tolerate delays

but knowing google who knows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

doing straight OTT VoIP on cellular data connections would be retarded because the cellular network would just treat the call like any other packet data, low priority and make no effort to preserve the state between handoffs, since packet data can tolerate delays

but knowing google who knows

that sure sounds like a googley idea + experience to me

i wouldnt be surprised if they routed it all through google voice hangeouts

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the amount of engineering that goes into maintaining a phone call simply between 2G-3G-4G seamlessly is a pretty complex effort, to imagine a bunch of google ball piters trying to do some frankenstein poo poo purely in software over cellular data connections would be lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
once it falls back to LTE it's just cellular ya. the worst part is having to use an n6 because it is so large you will drop it. And once you drop it the screen is hella brittle

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

haha yea the worst part is that u might accidentally drop a mobile phone and not that its a huge piece of poo poo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

PleasureKevin posted:

it's kinda like roaming in canada except you're roaming with mobilicity and wind

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

the amount of engineering that goes into maintaining a phone call simply between 2G-3G-4G seamlessly is a pretty complex effort, to imagine a bunch of google ball piters trying to do some frankenstein poo poo purely in software over cellular data connections would be lol

pfft just throw dual antenna and sims and attach your IMSIs to both networks and run simultaneous SIP setups on each phone call routed to two google voice PLMNs and have that service then call your number while spoofing the ID

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

that sure sounds like a googley idea + experience to me

i wouldnt be surprised if they routed it all through google voice hangeouts

i would be, that'd require the hangouts group an the sperg-fi team to communicate with each other successfully

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
if you're in any sort of urban area (even corvallis oregon, population 50,000 ) then you have an abundance of choices for cellular stuff and they're all decent

if you're in a rural area lol get hosed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
t-mobile is fine here until you go indoors (i use the free data plan on my ipad), at&t and verizon have no problems as expected and when my brother visits his sprint service is godawful (and lol doesn't roam onto verizon since he uses some lovely mvno)

i am maybe 20 minutes away at most from a major metro area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
when i ride the poor bus my 4g reception is at full strength in the particuarly lovely rundown parts of the city

and there is this one place that without fail completely kills ANY phone signal, surounding a highschool, its weird

• Locked thread