Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

WAR FOOT posted:

Tavros being back by himself to be Jane's sprite and being brought back by Vriska seems like a nice olive branch.

Also, the biggest shipping impression I got was Terezi <> Vriska.

Scourge Sisters was a thing before the comic, though, so that's not nearly as surprising as Dave :love: Karkat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's AR, Equisus's remains, and a sprite that needs to be prototyped two times, all in the same scene, with Vriska gesturing towards it.

ARSprite's totally gonna happen.

Dirk made a promise; he's not going to have an easy time going back on that. (There's no evidence that sprites need to be prototyped twice; once is enough.)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So what, Dirk'll toss AR into the Sprite and then Vriska will fulfil Equius's dying wish by burning his head on top of an apartment building on an alien planet in another dimension?

That head's going right in the sprite.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ramos posted:

I don't see how solving problems by in a brash and forceful manner is at all unlike Vriska. She probably did it solely to help deal with Rose's drinking problem. Granted, there's more eloquent ways of going about that, but this is still Vriska, better person now or no.

I agree, but I'm kind of surprised at how pissed she looks. Maybe she really is a better person, and is mad on Kanaya's behalf.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What drove Vriska to be a manipulative rear end was a desire to live up to her ancestor and be the most awesome person in existence much like Mindfang. And this meant she pretty much saw herself and her 'story' as the most important thing in The universe, above her friends and basic morals.

Which was a form of escapism that she used with flarping to deal with the fact that she was terrified of Spidermom biting her head off each passing day? And tends to lend itself to reinforcement when you need to kill other trolls and bring them back for Spidermom?

I'm just saying, Vriska was hosed up because of bad parenting.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Daddylonglegs Issues.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So what, Dirk'll toss AR into the Sprite and then Vriska will fulfil Equius's dying wish by burning his head on top of an apartment building on an alien planet in another dimension?
That head's going right in the sprite.

Dirk was trembling on the edge of saying "no" the first time he made this decision; I think this time around he went there. Equius went in (that's why the vignette of him waving at Jane is there) but AR did not (see: vignette).

WAR FOOT posted:

Daddylonglegs Issues.

:golfclap:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This flash ended immediately prior to Vriska and Dirk creating Arquiusprite I'm not sure why there's confusion about it

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How do three years of decent human interaction trasform someone who has lived 13 years as an egomaniacal psycho, I ask you

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Regy Rusty posted:

This flash ended immediately prior to Vriska and Dirk creating Arquiusprite I'm not sure why there's confusion about it

People also think that Andrew "Gay Singularity" Hussie broke up Rose and Kanaya when we literally see Rose waiting for her on their date.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious if Vriska will still be carrying a flame for John when he shows up.

That's the kind of monkey wrench Hussie might throw into the pile. Assuming she hasn't hooked up with Terezie.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's pretty great how people can't comprehend a bunch of very obvious images

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

How do three years of decent human interaction trasform someone who has lived 13 years as an egomaniacal psycho, I ask you
This is VriskaCam. We haven't yet heard anybody else's take on those three years. I can pretty much guarantee you there were knock-down drag-out fights between Vriska and Terezi, but hey, troll quadrants. Rose would also have pretty forceful opinions, I suspect.

Ikimaru, the artist who drew the Dave-naps-on-Karkat's-lap panels, says she doesn't know what the canon on the relationship is: romantic, friendship, other.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I agree, but I'm kind of surprised at how pissed she looks. Maybe she really is a better person, and is mad on Kanaya's behalf.

More likely, somebody pointed out to her that the tallcircles of human soporific would lead to Rose doing a lovely job at her class when they got to the new session and Vriska reacted like a psychotic DOTA player being told that one of their teammates was going to half-rear end things.

This is still Vriska we're talking about.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

well, after years of argument and cajoling my good friend whom i despise has finally convinced me to read this pile of garbage masquerading as a webcomic, so let's see how this nonsense goes

once more into the breach, the homestuck breach

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
friends forever

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, slapping the cup out of Rose's hand is probably the only 'out of character' thing for Vriska. Unless Rose said something sarcastic to her while she was drunk, I suppose.
Vriska is a power-gamer or whatever you want to call it, and one of your party members being drunk all the time is hardly conducive to going up against the Final Boss.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Vriska is a power-gamer or whatever you want to call it, and one of your party members being drunk all the time is hardly conducive to going up against the Final Boss.

Feed, and she will literally kill you. Literally. Like, IRL.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel she would also power game her friends relationships, so it works in that context too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

well, after years of argument and cajoling my good friend whom i despise has finally convinced me to read this pile of garbage masquerading as a webcomic, so let's see how this nonsense goes

Yes, but did he convince you to liveblog post reviews of it as you go? I'd read it. :getin:

(Also, Toxx, this thread is loving full of spoilers until you're caught up, so be careful.)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Rosebud is a sled, fyi

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Toxxupation posted:

this pile of garbage masquerading as a webcomic, so let's see how this nonsense goes

next time someone asks "but what IS homestuck???" like they're asking for the definition of a religion or philosophy I will use this quote.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bobulus posted:

Yes, but did he convince you to liveblog post reviews of it as you go?

no, no, gently caress you, no

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is there a possibility of an explanation post somewhere that goes over what that flash is revealing and I suppose, to a lesser extent, what revelations this thread went over in the past week? I love this comic and this story but keeping it straight by reading a ton of speculation/non-speculation posts while guessing at wtf the flash is trying to indicate is not going to help me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

no, no, gently caress you, no

Feel free to drop in at any time to bitch about whatever character you feel like though.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I can finally read this thread again, it's a 4/20 miracle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

friends forever

Oxx you are certainly persistent

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Oxxidation posted:

friends forever

Welcome back to the abyss fuckers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Oxx you are certainly persistent

I am a negative influence on his life.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

paranoid randroid posted:

Rosebud is a sled, fyi

and my OTP

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Acne Rain posted:

next time someone asks "but what IS homestuck???" like they're asking for the definition of a religion or philosophy I will use this quote.

"A case study in sunk-cost fallacy among teenagers and young adults"

Also there goes my undoing-the-undoing-of-Vriska's-death-theory

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I am going to have to start rereading this comic, there's so many things I forgot about during the long hiatus. :negative:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I prefer one of Hussie's descriptions, "it's like space jumanji but it's not zathura"

Except I never tell people about Homestuck in real life. I don't even know if it has a spanish-speaking fanbase (and don't want to know either)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just don't get why people sometimes ask "but what IS homestuck???". no one asks "but what IS dinosaur comics?" "but what IS xkcd?" or whatever. It's a webcomic. Surely you know what a webcomic is, what are you asking.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

watched flash, puked, what's up Homestuck thread :v:

The comments on the Instagram page, predictably, are filled with shippers

Also it does kinda bug me that Vriska being around made everything magically better, but I guess everything had to be made better somehow and this is a pretty efficient way of accomplishing it

She even brought back Tavros, poo poo I guess not being killed was the magic bullet she needed to not be completely immune to character growth anymore

e:

Acne Rain posted:

I just don't get why people sometimes ask "but what IS homestuck???". no one asks "but what IS dinosaur comics?" "but what IS xkcd?" or whatever. It's a webcomic. Surely you know what a webcomic is, what are you asking.

It kind of isn't, though. Like at this point it's a weird Internet-specific mixed-media piece

Most webcomics don't even have animations, let alone multiple albums' worth of music and claymations etc

This is to say nothing of the thousands and thousands of words of text

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Is there a possibility of an explanation post somewhere that goes over what that flash is revealing and I suppose, to a lesser extent, what revelations this thread went over in the past week? I love this comic and this story but keeping it straight by reading a ton of speculation/non-speculation posts while guessing at wtf the flash is trying to indicate is not going to help me.

I'll put this in spoiler tags, for the heck of it:

Caliborn's claymation update basically showed that Lord English is an amalgamation of AR, Equius, Caliborn, and Gamzee, because all four 'souls' were forced into Lil' Cal together. Lil' Cal becomes the object of dread we know it as, appearing in odd places (like Dave's dreams) and bringing nothing but misery and torment whereever it goes.

The flash is basically calling out a bunch of subtle foreshadowing of this reveal from all over the story (and/or mocking the concept of foreshadowing by bringing up happy coincidences and claiming they are foreshadowing). Among these things:

- Doc Scratch (who was made from Lil' Cal) tells Rose to 'think of him as a uncle'. This is ironic, because he partly made of AR, who, as a mind-clone of Dirk, could be arguably be considered Dirk's brother. And Dirk is Rose's ecto-father. So AR and by extension Doc Scratch actually sorta-is Rose's uncle.
- Similarly, Doc Scratch does a 'yes it is / no it's not' argument with Rose that's remarkably similar to the ones Equius had with Nepeta, with the update insinuating that this is because he is part Equius.
- Many of Gamzee's actions now make more sense in hindsight. He was 'listening' to Lil' Cal (who possessed the souls of both his Mirthful Messiah (Caliborn) and himself), and he took a bunch of steps (like killing Equius, tossing Equius's corpse in the kernelsprite, etc) that resulted in the exact situation that led to Lord English's creation.
- Further, it seems like the reason Gamzee was so mad-jazzed to serve Lord English was because he actually was actually working to become a part of Lord English. Setting himself up to rule. Ditto why Karloz, who was a LE follower was so deferent to Gamzee.

The rest of the flash is mostly tracing Lil' Cal's route through the story, since it's so twisty and turny, for those that came in late and/or forgot.

loquacius posted:

Also it does kinda bug me that Vriska being around made everything magically better, but I guess everything had to be made better somehow and this is a pretty efficient way of accomplishing it

If it bugs you, just remind yourself that everything that Vriska did here is the result of Terezi deciding to change time and save her. So it's actually Terezi that made everything magically better.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
So much avatar material in the Vriskagrams.

I've got to use this, but I'm stuck on text or fiddling with it besides shrinking it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why exactly did Vriska being alive lead to Dave and Karkat having what appears to be romantic tension rather than just being bros? Like, I guess Vriska cockblocked Terezi in not one but two quadrants, freeing up Dave to explore himself a little?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

loquacius posted:

Why exactly did Vriska being alive lead to Dave and Karkat having what appears to be romantic tension rather than just being bros? Like, I guess Vriska cockblocked Terezi in not one but two quadrants, freeing up Dave to explore himself a little?

I don't think it's because of Vriska so much as because of "you don't need him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

I don't think it's because of Vriska so much as because of "you don't need him"

I thought that was pretty clearly in reference to Gamzee but I guess there are multiple conclusions she could draw from it