Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Trastion posted:

Yeah that's a good idea because I can go in and go back to my home planet before steam automatically updates my game for me.

wait, you actually play the game and care enough about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Evilreaver posted:

"Should we add the player's Home Planet to the list of bookmarks upon loading a legacy save? I mean, we know right where in the save this data is located and where it would have to be written to bring the save up to date so this would be like a 5-minute code job."

"Nah"
    Interesting. My save is augmented.
__________/

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

finally

after years in the making

Starbound posted:

Scroll bars can now be clicked and dragged properly

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just saw the new update. Is Starbound worth playing yet, and do they still have the stupid bosses as gateways on the tech tree?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just saw the new update. Is Starbound worth playing yet, and do they still have the stupid bosses as gateways on the tech tree?

Keep asking yourself these questions and soon you will find your answer.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

starbound is likely never going to be worth playing and the only reason you should keep this thread bookmarked is as a constant reminder of what a dummy you were for thinking it would ever be good

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Kly posted:

starbound is likely never going to be worth playing and the only reason you should keep this thread bookmarked is as a constant reminder of what a dummy you were for thinking it would ever be good

I truly do just keep up with this thread to keep myself from buying early access, preorders, and kickstarters. Saved me a lot of money so far. (At the cost of my soul.)

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
In an alternate reality much like our own yet with subtle differences, Starbound is good.

And you can't play it! Ha ha! Suck it nerds!

Edit: inn all fairness tho. Starbound had just as much of a chance at being good as it did to fail horribly. And I still think it's ok in all honesty. Could have been better but could have been much worse. Also they didn't just take the money and run which deserves some respect.

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 22, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also they didn't just take the money and run which deserves some respect.

I know we live in an age of a hundred billionaires and billions of poor people with a hundred dollars to their name so we're probably a little desensitized, but isn't not taking the money and running one of those basic human decency things? Realistically, it deserves the same amount of respect as not dropping a dook on the table at a Golden Corral. Which admittedly, considering their clientele, is kind of a lot to ask for, but still.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Kly posted:

As someone who was, at least for a while, an unrepentant cheerleader for the game and actually believed that it would eventually be good, this is absolutely the truth.

I'm the dummy, and every time I check on this dead gay thread I die a little inside knowing that I got Spore'd again.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

"Reworked Apex, Avian, Floran, Glitch and Hylotl name generators to be much less (but still a little bit) silly"

lmao spacegame is srs business

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Despite the scramble for everyone to figure out where their base is, the teleporter system is pretty great. Can finally get around to everyone's cool places so people feel more comfortable building cool poo poo all over the galaxy.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Starbound is garbage :
Starbage

did I already do that one?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

The White Dragon posted:

I know we live in an age of a hundred billionaires and billions of poor people with a hundred dollars to their name so we're probably a little desensitized, but isn't not taking the money and running one of those basic human decency things? Realistically, it deserves the same amount of respect as not dropping a dook on the table at a Golden Corral. Which admittedly, considering their clientele, is kind of a lot to ask for, but still.

the fact that they have another game in the making and are also acting publishers for some other games it would probably not be the best business move either

then again lol chucklefish and so on

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh boy an overarching plot that involves temples what're the odds that it's some uninspired horseshit poorly combining halo and cthulhu mythos about a big mysterious evil and an ancient civilization

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ahundredbux posted:

Starbound is garbage :
Starbage

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sword_man.gif posted:

oh boy an overarching plot that involves temples what're the odds that it's some uninspired horseshit poorly combining halo and cthulhu mythos about a big mysterious evil and an ancient civilization

you say that like every game about space doesn't do that

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i think ive popped in here before with the same question a while ago but is this game fun yet

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

Starbound is garbage :
Starbage

did I already do that one?

real talk i don't think anyone actually got around to starbage

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

To be fair it's an easy plot to fill for and a fairly probable one at that. Seems most Sci-fi fans love those stories and im no exception.

Although I am one of those people that gets frustrated to hell every time humanity wins against aliens with technology that's at the very least 100,000 years more advanced.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Patware posted:

real talk i don't think anyone actually got around to starbage

The devs did :smug:

I actually like the game :ohdear:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

To be fair it's an easy plot to fill for and a fairly probable one at that. Seems most Sci-fi fans love those stories and im no exception.

Although I am one of those people that gets frustrated to hell every time humanity wins against aliens with technology that's at the very least 100,000 years more advanced.

Maybe it's a case of "It's so primitive, no one would try and use it against us" and they just don't design their defenses around it? If you're traveling around in a spaceship that shoots disintegrating lasers, you're probably going to design around keeping yourself from being disintegrated, not chunks of metal propelled by explosions. It is a bit silly in some cases, though, like how all the aliens have a REALLY obvious weakpoint that I guess they just hope nobody shoots a photon torpedo into?
My favorite example of this idea that I've always thought was plausible and cool was in the War of the Worlds, where humanity was no-doubt-about-it hosed but they get a last minute save because the aliens all got sick and died from earthgerms.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Like reverse conquistadors.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Remember when Starbound had intros to each race? I sure as hell didn't.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

nexas posted:

Remember when Starbound had intros to each race? I sure as hell didn't.

The files for them have been in the game for the longest time, just commented out so they wouldn't run. Now I'm pretty sure they're just another bump in the ever-growing pile of "things that were going to be a feature but :effort:"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

nexas posted:

Remember when Starbound had intros to each race? I sure

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think a lot of them were removed because they looked awful. The pixel art itself is fine I guess but the designs don't even match what's in the game remotely.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

also they are really boring because each scene drags on like twice as long as needed

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CAPTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My apex character, Gene Banana, doesn't need any Chucklefished backstory. He's a noble space trucker without a home, now growing a fruit farm on a distant planet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My apex character, Gene Banana,

Whoa there, that name is TOO silly. You'd better make a new character.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gotta go mine some Core Fragment Ore to power the Name Generator first.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Maybe it's a case of "It's so primitive, no one would try and use it against us" and they just don't design their defenses around it? If you're traveling around in a spaceship that shoots disintegrating lasers, you're probably going to design around keeping yourself from being disintegrated, not chunks of metal propelled by explosions. It is a bit silly in some cases, though, like how all the aliens have a REALLY obvious weakpoint that I guess they just hope nobody shoots a photon torpedo into?
My favorite example of this idea that I've always thought was plausible and cool was in the War of the Worlds, where humanity was no-doubt-about-it hosed but they get a last minute save because the aliens all got sick and died from earthgerms.

Yeah. But you also gotta consider that if your powerful enough to travel vast distances through the Galaxy your most likely going to have created materials for your ship that are more resistant to every possible form of attack than any 'young' race would be able to toss at you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mutata posted:

Didn't they say they wouldn't make them too serious and there would still be silly options?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Gotta go mine some Core Fragment Ore to power the Name Generator first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mutata posted:

Gene Banana will fight your character :colbert:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Didn't they say they wouldn't make them too serious and there would still be silly options?

Nothing TOOOOOO silly though!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mutata posted:

Nothing TOOOOOO silly though!
It seems fine to me so far, what's the problem exactly?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It seems fine to me so far, what's the problem exactly?

The problem is that people care about silly names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

who exactly determines what too silly is? should it not be up to the individual at what point the names become too silly? there should be a slider

• Locked thread