Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

So you don't use the Amazon app store?

This entire "you must trust in Google" gimmick is real hilarious. Or sad, if I let myself think you guys actually exist.

No I don't use the amazon app store. I would have to enable installation of any app and I don't like to leave my primary communications device vulnerable.

Also, why would anyone use an alternative app store? There is an app store that comes with my device, that I don't have to make my device vulnerable for, and that developers update their apps on first. I think my position here is perfectly reasonable and I don't understand the hostility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

No I don't use the amazon app store. I would have to enable installation of any app and I don't like to leave my primary communications device vulnerable.

Also, why would anyone use an alternative app store? There is an app store that comes with my device, that I don't have to make my device vulnerable for, and that developers update their apps on first. I think my position here is perfectly reasonable and I don't understand the hostility.

Your device's manufacturer made your phone invulnerable? NEAT. You just have to tell us what it's invulnerable to and how they achieved that. :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Your device's manufacturer made your phone invulnerable? NEAT. You just have to tell us what it's invulnerable to and how they achieved that. :allears:

Remember who you're replying to. Never mind the fact that you still have to initiate the installation, regardless of the source, and the fact that you can do a one time allow for unknown sources. Logic and reason don't apply.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I didn't say invulnerable. The opposite of more vulnerable is not invulnerable. If you want to install apps from untrusted sources go for it. I don't and I don't recommend it. Trust me, I am not forbidding you. 😘

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Plenty of people both in this thread and otherwise seem to be down on the Nexus 9.

If I want a high(er) end Android tablet, what do people feel about the Galaxy Tab S? Reviews seem to be pretty glowing and it compares well to the Ipad Mini 2.

Or is there something coming out soon-ish worth waiting for? Seems like I just missed a sale on the Tab S :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Harlock posted:

Or is there something coming out soon-ish worth waiting for?
In theory a new NVIDIA Shield tablet, but I don't think we have any credible rumors for the release date on that one.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In theory a new NVIDIA Shield tablet, but I don't think we have any credible rumors for the release date on that one.

The current Shield tablet is pretty well regarded. It uses a different SOC (Quad Core 32 bit K1) from the same product family as the Nexus 9 (Dual Core 64 bit K1) but seems to preform much better in real world conditions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stick100 posted:

The current Shield tablet is pretty well regarded. It uses a different SOC (Quad Core 32 bit K1) from the same product family as the Nexus 9 (Dual Core 64 bit K1) but seems to preform much better in real world conditions.
That's because the only thing they have in common is the GPU. Their CPUs are completely unrelated and the Nexus 9's is designed horribly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Yeah, you don't need to tell me about Denver. I'm fully aware of how poo poo it is.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Harlock posted:

Plenty of people both in this thread and otherwise seem to be down on the Nexus 9.

If I want a high(er) end Android tablet, what do people feel about the Galaxy Tab S? Reviews seem to be pretty glowing and it compares well to the Ipad Mini 2.

Or is there something coming out soon-ish worth waiting for? Seems like I just missed a sale on the Tab S :(

I'm loving my Tab S (but I picked it up for $279 at the beginning of that sale); the screen is gorgeous and it's nice and light, so it's easy to use one handed if you have giant hands like I do. I use it mostly for comic reading, watching Netflix at the gym and some light gaming and it's excelled at everything thus far. The only downside (as with most Android tablets) is that a lot of the applications can't be moved to the SD card, so if you really want to take advantage of the space, you'll need to root it. If you're already in the Android ecosystem and don't want to wait another 4-6 months for the next gen to be announced/released though, I'd certainly recommend it!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
....so I want to ignore this Android System update pop-up that keeps bugging me on my 2013 Nexus 7 right?

It's on 5.0.2 from Nov 20 2014 right now

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Keyser S0ze posted:

....so I want to ignore this Android System update pop-up that keeps bugging me on my 2013 Nexus 7 right?

Not sure why, 5.1 runs better. The NAND issue is hardware related.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sorry to interrupt the conversation about horrible Nexus tablets but I just got the Lollipop update for my Xperia Z2 Tablet and it's really amazing. This tablet is the best.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Not sure why, 5.1 runs better. The NAND issue is hardware related.

Okay cool, I'll go for it. I don't play games or do anything with it except couch surf and watch movies with a usb stick while commuting with it so this has been a great initial Android experience for me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Keyser S0ze posted:

On a purely anecdotal note my Nexus 7 2013's update from 5.0.2 to 5.1 went fine.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
And 5.1 fixes a lot of the issues with 5.0.2. The memory leak is gone or not very noticeable, which is super nice.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
The Shield is the best bang/buck tablet right now right? Or should I wait for a price drop?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

With my Nexus 10 dieing I looked around and found a like new Nexus 9 on Amazon for 260. Looks brand new other then the box a little worn. Like the look and feel of it, software seems a little lovely. Any reason why it isn't up to 5.1 yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because it's a horrible piece of poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

lamentable dustman posted:

With my Nexus 10 dieing I looked around and found a like new Nexus 9 on Amazon for 260. Looks brand new other then the box a little worn. Like the look and feel of it, software seems a little lovely. Any reason why it isn't up to 5.1 yet?

It was some prima-donna nVidia ARM reinterpreter with other prima-donna nVidia stuff along for the ride, rather than the mostly-standard representation of 7~10" Android tablets that you'd expect a development-oriented device to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Because it's a horrible piece of poo poo.

So far Google's made four tablets (five if you count the Xoom) and between them you have one that you had to send back in to add hardware after the fact (Xoom), one with such horrible NAND that it slowly becomes unusable (2012 N7), one that has an extremely high-res screen coupled with a horrible GPU that can't drive it (N10), one that isn't exactly durable and if sent in for repair is likely to be broken, lost, or switched for another customer's at random by the OEM (2013 N7), and one that has such a poorly designed CPU that it has essentially been abandoned immediately upon launch (N9).

These are the five best Android tablet experiences with the best of those being the one you hope Asus doesn't smash with a hammer and send back to you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know you hate Samsung but the Tab S has been the best android tablet (and the Shield). In europe we have a bunch of brands that make great android tablets too (Acer, BQ...).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
N7 2013 is still a great device and if you bought it from Google you get excellent after-sales support. So I don't think it's fair to blame Asus' terrible US after-sales on Google. Anecdotally, Asus EU have also been excellent on the two occasions that I had to return an item to them, including a N7 2012, but even if it was garbage that isn't a feature of the tablet itself that Google can do anything about.

I hope Google release a new 7/8in tablet this year. N7 2013 is still the best Android device I own. Great performance, great battery life, no memory leaks, and the perfect size to hold but still portable. The only complaint I have is that it tends to get updates a little later because I have the 4G version but that actually wasn't the case for 5.1.

LastInLine posted:

one with such horrible NAND that it slowly becomes unusable (2012 N7)
This was also the one where the screen was literally not attached properly in most devices at launch, oops!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 24, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I won't deny that my 2013 N7 has been a pleasure post-Lollipop. That said, I got it for $130 refurbished off eBay. I'd be a lot less happy if it had cost any more than that because in every way the device screams "built to a price point" and so many corners are cut that I can't believe it isn't round.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, I bought my first tablet - N7 2013 32G wifi last September for $160 on Ebay from a lady that used for a few months, it had a May production date.

At that price it was a no-brainer, since it had great goonreviews and I was not excited to spend $400+ for a refurb Apple iPad. A new iPad air 64G wifi is a better size for my use (9.6 inches) but $600+, meh.

I'll hang on to the N7 regardless of getting another tablet someday. I still see a need for tablets (for commuting/couch surfing/cheaper) regardless of having a Macbook Air 13 I could use instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still think the N7 2013 feels more premium than the N9 regardless of it being "built to a price."

It's solid and the rubberized back wears really well. The metal band around the N9 really doesn't do much for me in the "premium" department and really just serves to make the thing feel thicker than it actually is.

Give me a N7 with an 805 or 808, 3gb of ram, and a good 1440 screen and I will be happy as a pig in poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I still think the N7 2013 feels more premium than the N9 regardless of it being "built to a price."

It's solid and the rubberized back wears really well. The metal band around the N9 really doesn't do much for me in the "premium" department and really just serves to make the thing feel thicker than it actually is.

Give me a N7 with an 805 or 808, 3gb of ram, and a good 1440 screen and I will be happy as a pig in poo poo.
By built to a price, I meant stuff like a white LED instead of a colored one or the lack of a vibration motor (or NAND that fails in two years like we're seeing now :v: ). As you correctly note, even when you're building cheap you can make materials and design choices that wear well and cheap to build doesn't have to mean lovely to use.

I can't say I disagree with a desire for an 805 powered N7 2015 although maybe this time let's spring for better quality internals. Then again, that just raises the price for nothing that the average customer could see and welp, no one would buy it at full price.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

To be honest, I think I'd rather have it cost $200 and last two years than cost $400 and last 5 years (or whatever). I'm going to be looking longingly at new tech in 2 years anyway...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would be interested to see how the failures fall between 8gb/16gb/32gb models. We already had evidence with the N7 2012 that the 32 gb models had significantly faster NAND. It could be only a subset of devices at a particular storage level were affected.

White LED didn't bother me. I'm color deficient so the tiny pinprick of light means virtually nothing to me when the color changes since there isn't enough of it there for me to discern the color. With a multicolor LED, I ran really only distinguish 3 'modes'. White/Pink/Light Blue, Amber/Red/Green/Yellow/Orange, Dark Blue/Purple. Google doesn't really have anything built in for changing LED colors either so it's a bit hit or miss.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

To be honest, I think I'd rather have it cost $200 and last two years than cost $400 and last 5 years (or whatever). I'm going to be looking longingly at new tech in 2 years anyway...

That only works if they make a similar device two years down the road instead of making GBS threads out an N9 when your N7 fails.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

That only works if they make a similar device two years down the road instead of making GBS threads out an N9 when your N7 fails.
Google won't make another N7 because the N6 exists and that's close enough.

The N6 exists because of all this phablet nonsense.

Phablets are popular because of Samsung.

We'll never get another N7 and it's Samsung's fault, Q.E.D.

Tretyal
Aug 5, 2006
I'm RMAing my Shield. First one was DOA, second one has such terrible wifi-reception that it's basically unusable for me.

Right now, I'm considering a Dell Venue 8 7000, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, and possibly the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. Does any one of these tablets really stand out against the others?

Edit: Z3 Tablet Compact, not the phone.

Tretyal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 25, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
edit: they make that? my bad

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 25, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

5.1.1 factory images are up for N7 2012 & 2013 wifi editions, and the N10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We were out bringing my fiancée into our family plan and the store was doing a promotion on tablets if you added a new line, so now we have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5". What's my best bang-for-buck on a case and screen covers?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

C-Euro posted:

We were out bringing my fiancée into our family plan and the store was doing a promotion on tablets if you added a new line, so now we have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5". What's my best bang-for-buck on a case and screen covers?
I have the Logitech Keyboard case (expensive, but nice) and this cheapo folio cover that's thin but protects the tab pretty well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Came home to find the 5.1.1 OTA waiting for me on my 2013 Nexus 7. It's 18 MB and installed quickly. Exciting times.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The 2012 N7's OTA was only 9ish mb. Is there a change log? The quick settings are different I think... But what else?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ever since I updated my Memo 7 to 5.1 the drat thing keeps resetting "keep wifi on during sleep" to always. Not doing my battery any favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Mogomra posted:

The 2012 N7's OTA was only 9ish mb. Is there a change log? The quick settings are different I think... But what else?

does it fix any of the slow down issues with the 2012? mine has been so laggy it has been unusable for months now.