Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Saddest part of Italy Trip so far: Getting spaghetti carbonara and having it come with scrambled eggs.

That's loving lovely. I'd have sent that poo poo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Saddest part of Italy Trip so far: Getting spaghetti carbonara and having it come with scrambled eggs.

More importantly, were the endless breadsticks great or what?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

General questions is the new chat thread

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nah that's just for scrambled egg chat.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Rene Redzepi AMA posted:

[–]dumbquestionsthrow 34 points 1 day ago
Do you consider a hamburger to be a type of sandwich, or an entity of its own?

[–]ReneRedzepiNoma[S] 80 points 1 day ago
Well is pizza a pie?

OK, which one of you asked this?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Running IRC is too much work, so, yeah. Also, I can't check IRC at work.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
How the gently caress does it take that guy 20 minutes to make scrambled eggs anyway?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

How the gently caress does it take that guy 20 minutes to make scrambled eggs anyway?

I think he's cooking it with the heat of his breath.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just used some thyme, man I love thyme. Love the feeling of the thyme on my fingers and the smell of those little pretty leaves. Hurts to take it off my thyme plant but I feel like it appreciates the need for thyme in my life. Sometimes I get annoyed with the stems coming off when I'm trying to just use the leaves and maybe some cool guy or gal would have a tip here for how to de-thyme a thyme stalk. Also some of my thyme leaves are purple which is fine by me if they want to be that way but does that mean they're too old or too young and I should pick a different area? Thanks in advance, I'm going to go smell thyme;

More like dreamsthyme am I right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pull down on the stem from tip towards central stalk and all the leaves should come off in your fingers

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sometimes it works to grab and hold the time sprig by the tip furthest from the root end and with your thumb and index finger pull agains the leaves from the tip to the base. Sometimes I remove the very tip since it's usually more tender and has a cluster of a few leaves, and that leaves a stronger woodier piece to hold onto while I pull the rest of the leaves off.

How purple? It could be the variety or like flowers I guess? (I'll assume you know what a flower is and it's not that)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it often just breaks off for me when I do that but I have big stupid fingers and maybe I'm just the Lennie to the delicate thyme rabbits. I'll have to try holding it closer to the base but I feel like at this point I'll be picking them off the stalk my whole life.

How purple: they aren't wilted or anything so I think it's just random variation but I figured this would be the place to ask. Here's a good photo from GIS:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I rarely bother leaving thyme in its super-pretty whole leaf form because I have the same problem you do. Maybe my thyme stalks are too delicate, or I don't know my own strength? Whatever.

I just cut along the sides of the stalk with a pair of scissors. It takes all the leaves off, even though a few end up cut in half. Takes about 5 seconds, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You need to start far enough down that the stalk doesn't split.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Got the invite for my 15 year high school reunion. Makes me feel kind of odd.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

If I'm putting thyme in something like a stew or a braise or something with a bit of liquid, I just throw the whole stem in there. Fish it out at the end of cooking. If you cook it long enough, like a stew, the leaves will just fall off. If not, it still flavors the dish anyway.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I found out about my 10 year reunion while on the beach in the Bahamas.

Definitely not flying home to have awkward chats with people I knew almost half my life ago.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

If I'm putting thyme in something like a stew or a braise or something with a bit of liquid, I just throw the whole stem in there. Fish it out at the end of cooking. If you cook it long enough, like a stew, the leaves will just fall off. If not, it still flavors the dish anyway.

Yeah I do this when I can, specifically for finishing a steak if I'm panfrying - I tilt the pan up and let the thyme infuse the butter as I baste it up onto the meat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Hey dudes, me and my wife started doing this YouTube channel thing, Maybe you'll all get a laugh or two, I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdA0fsgUvM

I understand you as a poster a lot more fully now.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

drat dude you are way younger than I thought you were.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Carney posted:

Nah he just didn't graduate high school until he was 37.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Woah. My 15-year would have been last year. I didn't get an invite, so I'm not sure what that indicates.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Woah. My 15-year would have been last year. I didn't get an invite, so I'm not sure what that indicates.

Same with me, I didn't get an invite for my 20-year. I blame Facebook.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I understand you as a poster a lot more fully now.

I guess that's good?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

I'm used to being the old guy in the crowds in the crowds I usually run with (whether they're 20 something musicians or 50 something university faculty doesn't matter). Maybe being cynical and having the black and white beard have something to do with that, though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Oh my god Wiggles is younger than me?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

He just acts like he's 58.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

No she's actually 64

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Drink and Fight posted:

My 20-year reunion was last year. :corsair:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bartolimu posted:

My 20-year reunion was last year. :corsair:

25 for public School was last year for me.

There's nothing wrong with growing older, as a male, it doesn't get frowned upon, your grey hair is taken as signifying wisdom and aptitude. It is not so much the process of going from a young wine to a well aged one, but more transforming from a fine wine to an even finer cognac. Life is getting distilled into you.

Like smoking a pipe rather than a cigarette.

It is different for the ladies, there the transformation from maiden to crone is almost instantaneous, it is a spontane, overnight transformation which is impossible to foresee, oddly it happens later in life for them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a beard I am letting grow out that is mostly brown but also has some random blond hairs in it. The other day I was on my way to the gym and noticed a very very light beard hair, which I plucked to further examine. It was not blond, it was my first grey hair, and I'm only 32.

At least I know I'll go grey and have a full head of hair than go bald.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I have a beard I am letting grow out that is mostly brown but also has some random blond hairs in it. The other day I was on my way to the gym and noticed a very very light beard hair, which I plucked to further examine. It was not blond, it was my first grey hair, and I'm only 32.

At least I know I'll go grey and have a full head of hair than go bald.

I just turned 40... Plenty of grey in my beard and sideburns.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm 32, and I've been gradually going grey for about a decade. Nowt wrong with grey hairs, they look distinguished.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm 29 and started getting grey hairs in a streak on the side of my head at 27.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm 27 and just started getting patchy facial hair if I don't shave for 5 days.

:negative:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm 27 and just started getting patchy facial hair if I don't shave for 5 days.

:negative:

This is still my state of being. My "beard" growth just looks like I have some sort of skin condition.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Meanwhile I have a full beard in a week. gently caress beards =/

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Meanwhile I have a full beard in a week. gently caress beards =/

No way man. Nothing like feeling overly contemplative and having a nice, full beard to stroke to look majestic while you do it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I got my first grey hairs on my temples, at 23!

Currently my goatee is white with a sprinkling of grey. I'm not sure what color the remainder of my head hair is, because I shave my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Turned 40 last year and the only grey is in my beard. My brother is 5 years older and just started getting grey at the temples.