Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

Nets/fences on bridges are proven to cut down on suicides. It's why San Francisco's refusal to put any on Golden Gate, a popular suicide hotspot, for reasons of aesthetics was so amazingly callous.

Yeah, I believe pretty much every study on suicides has found that any kind of basic deterrent cuts them down significantly. As the majority are unplanned and if you stop them they just won't go through with it another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Polaron posted:

Nets/fences on bridges are proven to cut down on suicides. It's why San Francisco's refusal to put any on Golden Gate, a popular suicide hotspot, for reasons of aesthetics was so amazingly callous.

True in the past, but San Francisco approved a suicide barrier project years ago and finalized both the design and $76 million in funding last year. It'll still be several years before the barrier nets are ready, but they're coming.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ibntumart posted:

True in the past, but San Francisco approved a suicide barrier project years ago and finalized both the design and $76 million in funding last year. It'll still be several years before the barrier nets are ready, but they're coming.

Yeah, that's why I said "was". It still took them an unforgivable number of years of hemming and hawing.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Toronto did the same thing with an elaborate setup on a bridge that was a popular spot for people to jump off.

It's been several years, and the City's suicide rate hasn't changed. Ours only cost about $5.5 million CAD though. Initially it was supposed to be lit at night but they cancelled that part of it as it was too expensive. It's being finished now, 12 years later, as part of the Pan Am preparations.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

3 posted:

I was just reminded of a documentary from a couple of years back where a group of researchers jammed a Boeing 737 full of sensors and crash dummies so they could fly it remotely into the Sonoran desert and get some real experimental data on what goes on at the point of impact. Interestingly, this kind of test has only been done twice, the first time in 1984 by NASA and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbGiuKbmGM

The footage captured from inside the plane on impact is actually really neat, but the experimental results as summed up by the program are kind of pedestrian: "if the plane goes in nose-first, the passengers up front are probably going to die!"

This video is a great watch just for the fact that they fly the plane into the ground with a tiny remote control made for hobby planes.

I also found a playlist on youtube that has (what looks like) most of the episodes of Air Disasters/Air Craft Investigation/ Mayday for anyone who wants to catch up on the ones they missed.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIQysra_ezMZh3cNGeBAnxKNrtsAuzMwW

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

This wiki article led me to this :stare:

(apologies for the Cracked watermark, largest version i could find)

http://www.sptimes.com/News/050700/TampaBay/Horrific_accident_cre.shtml

quote:

...Anthony Gattus didn't like what he saw at all.

"It was a lousy day to start with," Gattus recalled. "It started raining hard 2 or 3 miles before we got to the Skyway. It got really dark. I don't like rain and cold and darkness. Didn't then. Don't now."

Gattus, now 81, was a passenger in a yellow Buick headed south with three other men to ferry cars back for sale in Pinellas County. Richard Hornbuckle, the owner of the Buick, was behind the wheel. Jim Crispin sat beside Hornbuckle in the front seat. Kenneth Holmes sat beside Gattus in back.

"Hornbuckle was a real good driver," Gattus said. "I always felt safe with him. When the rain started hard, he slowed way down. Twenty. Don't think he could have been going faster than 20 mph. "I remember a blue pickup passed us.

"I remember a bus passed us."

One hundred and fifty feet above, the yellow Buick with Anthony Gattus in the back seat began to skid. The tires fought to obey the brakes and grab traction on the wet grating.

Hornbuckle, the driver, had not seen the center span of the roadway disappear. But as his car neared the crest of the bridge, he realized the upper superstructure was missing. That was the tip that saved their lives, he told Gattus later. He realized something was terribly wrong and started braking immediately.

The car slowed reluctantly. It stopped with the left front tire 14 inches from oblivion.

"The doors flew open," Gattus recalled. "We all got out. We were on a sharp incline toward the water. I stuck my fingers through the grating and began to crawl away. I looked back, and Hornbuckle was still by the car. I yelled at him, "What are you still doing there?' He said he was going back for his golf clubs."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cracked actually recently had a halfway decent user submitted list of unsolved mysteries. Many of them were already covered in this thread, but hey it's something to introduce people to a bunch.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Nckdictator posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

This wiki article led me to this :stare:

(apologies for the Cracked watermark, largest version i could find)

http://www.sptimes.com/News/050700/TampaBay/Horrific_accident_cre.shtml

Stuff like this goes through my head pretty much every time I go over a bridge. And will continue to, thanks to the country's "Pay for infrastructure? Wha?" attitude.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

effervescible posted:

Stuff like this goes through my head pretty much every time I go over a bridge. And will continue to, thanks to the country's "Pay for infrastructure? Wha?" attitude.

To be fair it wasn't that the bridge was poorly built or maintained, it was more of the fact that a ship crashed into it.

quote:

At 7:25 a.m. on May 9, 1980, with the Greyhound approaching Pinellas Point a few miles from the north end of the Sunshine Skyway bridge, Capt. John Lerro tensed at the helm of the freighter Summit Venture, a ship as long as two football fields. Lerro, 37, an experienced harbor pilot from Tampa, shouldered the responsibility of guiding the Summit Venture from the Gulf of Mexico 58.4 miles up Tampa Bay to the Port of Tampa. It is one of the longest shipping channels in the world, and one of the most treacherous, given the shallow waters of the bay and the ambush style of Florida weather.

With the ship's belly empty of cargo and her tanks nearly empty of ballast, she rode high in the water.

She ran through intermittent fog and rain along the first 19 miles of her journey. Then southwest winds exploded to tropical-storm force. Rain sheeted at rates exceeding 7 inches an hour. Visibility plunged to near zero, and shipboard radar failed.

It couldn't have happened at a worse point. Lerro faced the most critical course change of the run, a 13-degree turn that would take him between the two main piers of the Skyway bridge.

It was at almost this exact spot that the Coast Guard cutter Blackthorn had been rammed four months earlier by the tanker Capricorn. The Blackthorn sank. Twenty-three men died.

Lerro approached the critical bend on a ship weighing nearly 20,000 tons battered by winds of nearly 60 mph.

And he approached it blind....

On the water below, Lerro considered his options.

Visibility was so bad he could no longer see the bow of his ship. He judged it too risky to turn the Summit Venture out of the shipping channel to the north to anchor and ride out the storm because the outbound Pure Oil had been approaching. Without radar or visibility to locate the tanker, Lerro feared he might ram her if he steered across her path.

If he tried to stop, or if he turned south out of the channel, the winds could usurp control of the ship and hurl him into the bridge.

Thinking the wind was still from the southwest, his right, Lerro judged it would push the Summit Venture safely through the main spans of the Skyway.

He made the decision to proceed.

Lerro didn't know the squall had forced the wind around to the west-northwest, his left. Instead of keeping him in the channel, it pushed his high-riding vessel off course.

At 7:32, the weather cleared marginally. Lerro saw part of the bridge superstructure directly ahead. With heartstopping clarity, he realized he was no longer in the shipping channel
He ordered a series of maneuvers, including emergency reversal of the engines and the deployment of the anchors. But it was too late.

At 7:33, the bow of the Summit Venture collided with bridge pier 2S. The pier toppled, taking the roadway with it.

On the bridge above and in the water below, terror of such magnitude no one could have dreamed filled the final seconds of 35 lives. In the hours that followed, it changed dozens more lives forever.

The horror in Lerro's voice is painful to hear:

Lerro: Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Coast Guard. Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Coast Guard.

Coast Guard: Vessel calling Mayday, vessel in distress. This is the United States Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Florida. Request your position, the nature of distress and the number of persons on board. Over.

Lerro: Get emergency . . . all the emergency equipment out to the Skyway bridge. Vessel has just hit the Skyway bridge. The Skyway bridge is down! Get all emergency equipment out to the Skyway bridge. The Skyway bridge is down. This is Mayday. Emergency situation. (Nearly screaming) Stop the traffic on that Skyway bridge!"

CG: This is Coast Guard St. Petersburg, roger. What size is the vessel that hit the bridge? Over.

Lerro: It's a large vessel. Stop the traffic on the Skyway bridge. There's some people in the water. Get emergency equipment out to the Skyway bridge. Now.

CG: This is the Coast Guard, St. Petersburg. Roger. What vessel are you on? Over.

Lerro: Summit Venture. Summit Venture.

CG: Summit Venture, Coast Guard St. Petersburg, roger. What is the size of your vessel and can you assist? Over.

Lerro: Cannot assist. We're 606 feet long, light draft. We cannot assist here. We're on an abutment. Stop all the traffic on the bridge. Send some vessels out here to render assistance. People are in the water.

Tampa civil lawyer Steven Yerrid reached the Summit Venture soon after the accident, looking for Lerro. His firm, Holland & Knight, represented many of the harbor pilots.

"When I first saw the scene, this huge ship in the middle of a carnival merry-go-round of small boats with bodies floating up, I thought I would never forget it," Yerrid recalled. "I was right. I never have.

"When I went aboard the ship and saw John, I thought I had never seen a soul so lost."

Before they could get off the ship, Yerrid and Lerro had to run a gauntlet of officials wanting to interview the pilot.

"They all wanted to question him, and I understood that," Yerrid said. "I kept telling them, "Yes, but not today.' "

He hid Lerro, his wife and son in a hotel under the name Yerrid, where they remained for weeks. But it didn't shield them from public reaction.

"Over the weeks and months, John heard himself called an alcoholic, a homosexual, a murderer," Yerrid said. "His life was threatened. My life was threatened. Someone stole my Irish setter and kept her for three days. They beat her and urinated on her and then put her back on my porch.

"That's the kind of atmosphere it was."

A state inquiry cleared Lerro of negligence. A Coast Guard inquiry found Lerro's decision to proceed in zero visibility contributed to the crash.

But it also found a litany of situations beyond Lerro's control: The localized storm "of enormous proportions" was not forecast. The tanker Pure Oil had turned out of the channel itself to lay at anchor during the storm, making way for the Summit Venture to do the same, but no one told Lerro. The pilot of a ship that had passed the Summit Venture and encountered the fierce storm never warned Lerro to expect it, though the pilot knew there were other ships in the storm's path. The position of the Summit Venture denied Lerro the chance to sense the wind had changed.

"I still try to imagine what Lerro felt," said Paul Scotti, a retired Coast Guard official who ran media operations during the aftermath of the disaster. "He's standing on the bridge, and he's suddenly blind. He doesn't know where other traffic is. He thinks he's going straight, but the wind is pushing him sideways.

"It's like somebody put a black hood over his head and said, "Go ahead, navigate now.' "

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They beat up and pissed on his dog? :staredog::wtf:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

canyoneer posted:

They beat up and pissed on his dog? :staredog::wtf:

They beat up and pissed on his lawyer's dog.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress that choked me up. What a hopeless feeling.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PresidentBeard posted:

Cracked actually recently had a halfway decent user submitted list of unsolved mysteries. Many of them were already covered in this thread, but hey it's something to introduce people to a bunch.

Except the part where half of the ones on the list were solved or have perfectly reasonable explanations they forgot to mention.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

RCarr posted:

gently caress that choked me up. What a hopeless feeling.

Yeah, the poor guy didn't have a chance.

Video with audio of mayday call here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Except the part where half of the ones on the list were solved or have perfectly reasonable explanations they forgot to mention.

Hence halfway decent. Cracked is never 100% decent.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thankfully, they rebuilt it as a suspension bridge so the main span can't fall into the bay and the piers are reinforced enough that a container ship could hit them going full speed and not damage them. :unsmith:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

Thankfully, they rebuilt it as a suspension bridge so the main span can't fall into the bay and the piers are reinforced enough that a container ship could hit them going full speed and not damage them. :unsmith:

I still know people who won't drive over the new bridge, though.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Jesus Christ

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This video is a great watch just for the fact that they fly the plane into the ground with a tiny remote control made for hobby planes.

I also found a playlist on youtube that has (what looks like) most of the episodes of Air Disasters/Air Craft Investigation/ Mayday for anyone who wants to catch up on the ones they missed.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIQysra_ezMZh3cNGeBAnxKNrtsAuzMwW

:lol: at the bit about why they chose the 727: "can't parachute from normal airliners because the doors are right in front of the engines." while showing a tight shot of the rear side door of a 737. It's actually because other airliners have plug doors that physically can't be opened in flight -- they have to be pulled in against cabin pressure and then pushed out, even at sea level the slipstream would prevent the latter. And there's the possibility of wrapping one's neck around the horizontal tail -- one type of plane my dad jumped from when he was in the army required a longer static line (i.e., parachute ripcord tied to the airframe), because the standard length opened the 'chute in time for it to get stuck on the tail.

The reason these guys (and Dan Cooper) chose the 727 is because it has the stairs in back that can be opened in flight (after disabling the Cooper vane).

Also, dismissing the first several rows as instantly fatal when they encountered a mere 12G? COL Stapp proved that a person can walk away from taking 46G. It's certainly unpleasant -- he broke his wrist twice and detached a retina in the course of testing -- and to be fair, he had a better seatbelt arrangement, but even with a lap belt 12G is survivable. 12G will kill you in a sustained turn via no blood (if feet toward the outside of the turn) or too much blood (if feet inside) to the brain, but a couple milliseconds of it would just leave you sore for weeks. A 30mph car crash is 20G, and that's plenty survivable.

Thinking of Stapp strapping himself into the rocket sled is pretty worthy of this thread -- that's some Aperture Science poo poo. Dude volunteered to be a crash test dummy. :science:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
On bridge talk:

I remember, when I was much younger, a barge hitting the Three Mile Bridge in Pensacola. During the reconstruction they opened two of the four lanes with nothing more than a few spaced out concrete barriers and a few safety barrels allowing you to see the water five stories below as you drove past while clenching your rear end.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, dismissing the first several rows as instantly fatal when they encountered a mere 12G? COL Stapp proved that a person can walk away from taking 46G. It's certainly unpleasant -- he broke his wrist twice and detached a retina in the course of testing -- and to be fair, he had a better seatbelt arrangement, but even with a lap belt 12G is survivable. 12G will kill you in a sustained turn via no blood (if feet toward the outside of the turn) or too much blood (if feet inside) to the brain, but a couple milliseconds of it would just leave you sore for weeks. A 30mph car crash is 20G, and that's plenty survivable.

Thinking of Stapp strapping himself into the rocket sled is pretty worthy of this thread -- that's some Aperture Science poo poo. Dude volunteered to be a crash test dummy. :science:

Pretty sure it's more the entire nose of the plane detaching violently while spewing debris and also chunks of the earth into first class rather than G-loading in this specific instance.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
While not involving death the fact that this almost became a thing is fairly scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_America

http://www.disneydrawingboard.com/DA%20Haymarket/DAHaymarket.html

quote:

Disney's America Theme Park would have been built on 3,000-acres in Haymarket, VA. The project was officially announced on November 11th, 1993. The park would have been centered on the history of the United States. The park would become Michael Eisner’s, Disney’s CEO at the time, dream project. Eisner loved the idea and rallied support of the then outgoing Governor of Virginia, L. Douglas Wilder and the incoming Governor, George Allen. Although the local government could have been won over, citizens would not be. They did not agree a Disney could represent the history of the United States, as well as their own town and eventually because of this and other financial reasons Disney’s America was canceled

Disney’s America was designed and planned as a complement to the monuments, museums, and national treasures of Washington D.C. Disney described the park as a venue for people of all ages, to discuss the future of and learn more about our nation’s history by living it. The park would offer guests rides, shows and interactive experiences about the history, present, and future of America. The park was designed as timeline, starting in the mid-1860s and going back in history or forwards into the future. Plans for Disney’s America consisted of nine themed areas relating to a specific time period in history.

Crossroads USA

Crossroads U.S.A. would have been a Civil War-era village and the hub of Disney's America. The entrance to the park would have taken guests under a replicated 1840s train trestle complete with replicated steam trains that would circle the park.

Native America (1600 to 1810)

Native America would have been a recreated Powhatan Native American village; specifically themed to Disney’s Pocahontas Movie, being released at that time. Several Mid-Atlantic tribes of Native Americans would have been represented, with interactive experiences, exhibits, and arts and crafts.

Civil War Fort (1850 to 1870)

The Civil War Fort would recreate an authentic fort of that time complete with a replica of a battlefield, providing for Civil War re-enactments. The area would also provide recreations of battleships; specifically, The Monitor and The Merrimac, where recreated water fights would have been fought on Freedom Bay. This would have possibly served as the nighttime spectacular.

We The People (1870 to 1930)

We The People would feature a replica of building at Ellis Island, which served as the gateway for immigrants into America in the 19th and early 20th century. The Ellis Island Building would have showcased a Muppets musical show about immigration.

State Fair (1930 to 1945)

The State fair area would recreate a 1930’s Coney Island theme complete with carnival rides and a live show about baseball.

Family Farm (1930 to 1945)

The Family Farm would recreate an authentic farm and give guests the opportunity to experience the different types of food production industries as well as have the opportunity to participate in hands-on experiences like making ice cream and milking a cow.

President's Square (1750 to 1800)

President’s Square would celebrate the efforts of America’s founding fathers and the birth of democracy.

Enterprise (1870 to 1930)

Enterprise, would been a recreation of an American factory town. The area would have played tribute to American ingenuity, featuring exhibits of technology that defined the development of America's industry.

Victory Field (1940 to 1945)

Victory Field would have introduced guest to the experiences that American soldiers faced during the two world wars. The area would have been themed after a typical airfield complete with hangars, which would feature virtual reality attractions based on America's military flight. Victory Field would have also featured airplane exhibits from different periods.

Disney’s America would offer more than just a theme park. The project also called for a water park, a twenty-seven-hole golf course, 300 campsites, and 1.3 million square feet retail and entertainment district. In addition the park would feature an in-park hotel with 1,340 -rooms and a convention center. The hotel would be themed after a 19th-century Civil War era lodge and would also include accommodations scattered throughout the crossroads village area.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it sounds fun.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it sounds fun.

I lived within field trip distance from there, and am very disappointed that it wasn't a thing.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

I kept waiting for the description of the park area based on plantation fields with cast members dressed as slaves or a trail of tears monorail tour or something, but… it just seems like a regular theme park? Other than being a big theme park what's the scary part?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sounds like an even more boring epcot, but still not terrible.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Double Plus Good posted:

I kept waiting for the description of the park area based on plantation fields with cast members dressed as slaves or a trail of tears monorail tour or something, but… it just seems like a regular theme park? Other than being a big theme park what's the scary part?

Look at the location. It's not the park itself (I would have loved to visit it) but building it so close to a battlefield really upsets the preservationist in me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Nckdictator posted:

Look at the location. It's not the park itself (I would have loved to visit it) but building it so close to a battlefield is really skeevy.

Antietam is basically surrounded by outlet malls, and the city of Gettysburg is a giant tourist trap. At least this would have had *something* to do with history.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Apr 23, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nckdictator posted:

Look at the location. It's not the park itself (I would have loved to visit it) but building it so close to a battlefield really upsets the preservationist in me.

If I died on some God-forsaken field, nothing would bring me better joy than the horror of that place being forgotten.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nckdictator posted:

It's a few miles away. If it were actually on the battlefield, that would be different. And Solice Kirsk is right: it does sound fun.

The Alamo is surrounded by all kinds of huge buildings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

It's a few miles away. If it were actually on the battlefield, that would be different. And Solice Kirsk is right: it does sound fun.

The Alamo is surrounded by all kinds of huge buildings.

the alamo is a monument to the failure of slave owners and should be preserved forever

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Dr. Benway posted:

On bridge talk:

I remember, when I was much younger, a barge hitting the Three Mile Bridge in Pensacola. During the reconstruction they opened two of the four lanes with nothing more than a few spaced out concrete barriers and a few safety barrels allowing you to see the water five stories below as you drove past while clenching your rear end.

The creepiest part about the Sunshine Skyway is driving over and being able to see the decaying wreckage of the old bridge parallel to your route. The hit that finally wrecked it was not the first hit it took, but it was the one that made the biggest mess. On top of the boating incidents, the Sunshine Skyway is the fourth-busiest suicide bridge in the country. I've always loved that bridge, though. The Peace River Bridge connecting Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda is another favorite of mine. I am a sucker for big hump-back bridges with great views.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

I was living in that area at the time, and it was a huge controversy, especially over what impact it would have on the actual battlefield sites and countryside around it. Thank the living gently caress it wasn't realised.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Nckdictator posted:

Dude literally everywhere is close to something historic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This Disney theme park talk has got me shaking in my boots! A theme park built near something? Terrifying!

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

This Disney theme park talk has got me shaking in my boots! A theme park built near something? Terrifying!

If that makes you angry, just wait till I tell you about that mosque near Ground Zero....

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Speaking of theme parks, I'm sure this has been posted before but it's always good for a mindboggle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

quote:

The park's popularity went hand-in-hand with a reputation for poorly designed, unsafe rides; under-aged, undertrained, and often under-the-influence staff;[3] intoxicated, unprepared visitors; and a consequently poor safety record. At least six people are known to have died as a result of mishaps on rides at the original park. It was given nicknames such as "Traction Park",[3] "Accident Park", and "Class Action Park"[4] by doctors at nearby hospitals due to the number of severely injured park-goers they treated. Little action was taken by state regulators despite a history of repeat violations. In its later years, personal-injury lawsuits led to the closure of more and more rides and eventually the entire park.

quote:

Park officials said this made the injury and death rate statistically insignificant. Nevertheless, the director of the emergency room at a nearby hospital said they treated from five to ten victims of park accidents on some of the busiest days, and the park eventually bought the township of Vernon extra ambulances to keep up with the volume.[3]

quote:

A skateboard park briefly existed, near the ski area's ski school building, but closed due to poor design after a season. Bowls were separated by pavement, which in many cases did not meet the edges smoothly. Former park employee Tom Fergus was quoted in the magazine Weird NJ saying that the "skate park was responsible for so many injuries we covered it up with dirt and pretended it never existed".[23]

quote:

Super Go Karts: The karts were meant to be driven around a small loop track at a speed of about 20 mph (32 km/h) set by the governor devices on them. However, park employees knew how to circumvent the governors by wedging tennis balls into them, and they were known to do so for parkgoers. As a result, an otherwise standard small-engine car ride became a chance to play bumper cars at 50 mph (80 km/h), and many injuries resulted from head-on collisions.[3] Also, the engines were poorly maintained, and some riders were overcome by gasoline fumes as they drove.[3]

quote:

Super Speedboats: These were set up in a small pond, known by staff to be heavily infested with snakes.[3] They were supposed to be driven around a small island in the middle at 35-40 mph (56–64 km/h). While, unlike the land vehicles, there was no way to tamper with them and increase their speed, many riders nonetheless used them to play bumper boats, and one seriously inebriated rider had to be rescued by the attendant lifeguard after his boat capsized following a collision.[3]

quote:

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.[27] Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. Tom Fergus, who described himself as "one of the idiots" who took the offer, said "$100 did not buy enough booze to drown out that memory."[23]

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time.[3] One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it opened had been dismembered.[3] A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built at the bottom of the slope to allow for future extractions.[3]

That's not even everything.

showbiz_liz has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alouicious posted:

the alamo is a monument to the failure of slave owners and should be preserved forever

How would you feel about monuments to the other rebellions against Santa Anna, like the Republic of the Rio Grande and the Republic of the Yucatan?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

Dude literally everywhere is close to something historic.

Not in America :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

House Louse posted:

Not in America :agesilaus:

racist