Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Tran posted:

Yes, the same candidate that claimed to have been completely impoverished after leaving the white house. Clearly this couldn't be a matter of empty platitudes.

So yet again I google to see what the story is here and yet again I end up not enraged but rather bemused.

In an interview with Diane sawyer clinton says: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-defends-high-dollar-speaking-fees/story?id=24052962

hillary posted:

"Let me put it this way", clinton told sawyer, "I thought making speeches for money was a much better thing than getting connected with any one group or company as so many people do when they leave public life."

She also charges on a sliding scale. The 200k speeches are to people like Goldman Sachs. They speak to non-profit groups for free.

This wasn't what I was expecting to find. I was looking for numbers to see if their net worth was negative or not and wondering if I could find out if the money crunch was painful enough that they were selling important assets like houses ( they were and it was btw ) to see if there was enough pain that one could reasonably interpret "we were broke" as the kind of hyperbole normal people use when speaking all the time ... because normal people don't have an army of fishmench knockoffs pouring over every syllable looking for an excuse to sperg out and take offense.

Instead I find that they went all Robin Hood charging the rich and helping the poor for free ( cause nonprofits can sell tickets to hear them speak and they aren't charging the non-profits ). And a conscious, clearly articulated, rejection of becoming beholden to a particular interest.

Anywho, for the fish brigade, when Bill left office they were 8 million dollars in debt - mostly due to legal fees - and their total net worth was around 2 million. The speaking gig thing saved their bacon. Neither Bill nor Hillary comes from the kind of money that can make 8 million dollars in debt just go away and facing it must have been pretty daunting.

Edit: apparently my phones autocorrect speaks jive.

Edit 2: after they got out of debt they started the Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea Clinton foundation ... Which somehow I've never heard of before despite its amazingly catchy name ( yes, that's sarcasm). All their speaking fees are donated to the foundation ( even Chelsea who can apparently command 75k for a speech and that got her name added to the banner ). They do everything from supporting school lunch programs to making drugs available to aids patients in Africa to teaching farmers more sustainable methods, promoting clean energy, etc.

Go to their blog and marvel at their fiendish cleverness in trying to fool you into thinking they actually care.

https://www.clintonfoundation.org/about

McAlister fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Who wouldn't make speeches for money? Like as much money as you can rake in, for talking.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
This post is close enough to my above edit that it does't need repeating. To used to the thread moving fast.

Also, googling the speaking fee thing is hilarious because conservative writers are dripping in jealousy over the fact that their ex-politicians can't command anywhere near what the Clinton's can. Palin is paid less than Chelsea clinton to speak and Chelsea didn't even hold office.

W is paid about half what Hillary makes and Bill has been offered $750,000 to go to Japan and speak there.

The free market has spoken and literally found conservative ideas to be of little value.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 23, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The country has been dragged to the right by the federal and state legislatures, places both packed full of vicious conservatives put there by low voter turnout. Conservatives didn't have to convince more people to vote for them, they juts had to convince idiot liberals that democrats are actually pro-business and pro-the rich, look at all this stuff us republicans will never let them do, so you should just stay home because they are all the same, don't get excited.

It works really well and is a self perpetuating cycle.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Evil Fluffy posted:

And yet there will be plenty of stupid people, goons included, who will buy her bullshit and believe her even though Hilary's probably going to be the most shameless panderer on either side in this election.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Stereotype posted:

The country has been dragged to the right by the federal and state legislatures, places both packed full of vicious conservatives put there by low voter turnout. Conservatives didn't have to convince more people to vote for them, they juts had to convince idiot liberals that democrats are actually pro-business and pro-the rich, look at all this stuff us republicans will never let them do, so you should just stay home because they are all the same, don't get excited.

Well they're half right. Many Democrats are absolute garbage, especially on issues like criminal justice that I actually care about. It's just the second part of that argument that's wrong because they're still better than the Republicans who are bad on almost every issue. There is really nothing to get excited about but you would have to be dumb to not be able to see a clear distinction between mediocre on one side and absolutely awful on the other.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Good morning, have this example of how your fellow citizens understand the legal system

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh, and I meant to share this the other week, but here is some proof America has never really changed

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

Good morning, have this example of how your fellow citizens understand the legal system

Did heshe... Did she actually use "lol" in a legal brief?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, and I meant to share this the other week, but here is some proof America has never really changed

Look it's hard to have a President's Day sale before President's Day is invented.

Someone asked yesterday if there's any good news ever posted in this thread. So, the Senate is suddenly working :monocle:

Why? Because McConnell no longer has to unelect Obama.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Inglonias posted:

Did heshe... Did she actually use "lol" in a legal brief?

Here's the full text of the "F*ck This Court" petition. It's something, alright. She uses lol several times.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fried Chicken posted:

Got a source/context for this? I googled the woman's name and found a news article where she tried breaking her now-husband out of jail back in 2010. :staredog:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

Who wouldn't make speeches for money? Like as much money as you can rake in, for talking.

I got paid $200 to speak to a college class about the history of local FM radio.

Did I take the money? Of course I did, because I understand that I have an inherent value. :capitalism:

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ballz posted:

Got a source/context for this? I googled the woman's name and found a news article where she tried breaking her now-husband out of jail back in 2010. :staredog:

lol that you do not suscribe to http://tamahjadaclark.com/

it's how I found out most americans do not have to pay income tax???

Tamah Jada Clark posted:

In just six pages of substantiated material facts of law, legal scholar and revolutionary intellectual extraordinaire, Mrs. Tamah Jada Clark, effortlessly dissects and disambiguates what could only heretofore be regarded as an indiscernible and immeasurably taxing mental and financial enigma

fake edit: of course she's a putinista

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tamah Clark

Theo Chino

I'm just asking questions here.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

sullat posted:

Here's the full text of the "F*ck This Court" petition. It's something, alright. She uses lol several times.

I got very excited when I saw that this document was 34 pages. Sadly the court document itself is only 9 pages (though it's still full-crazy start to finish.) Then theres another 25 pages of random lunacy.

Bonus quote:

Crazy Lady, Page 4 posted:

Look here, old man, when I told you that I AM Justice - I meant it. It took me about 1 month to study the history of the world and to learn the history of American jurisprudence, literally.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hibajubwa posted:

I got very excited when I saw that this document was 34 pages. Sadly the court document itself is only 9 pages (though it's still full-crazy start to finish.) Then theres another 21 pages of random lunacy.

Bonus quote:

I'm getting serious "Curtis Got Slapped By A White Teacher" vibes from this thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hibajubwa posted:

Bonus quote:

literally.

Can the judge have her placed under a psych evaluation?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Stereotype posted:

Turnout is low because people have absolutely no faith in members of their government doing anything to help them. We don't have lovely legislatures because turnout is low, we have low turnout because our legislatures are lovely. You want to pretend this is somehow the fault of the stupid rabble of the public because that's a problem that is relatively easy to solve and is a lot more comforting to believe than acknowledging that basically every election is deciding which flavor of vanilla you want. People like us (who keep up with this stuff and debate and care about it) are pretty much fans of the United States Federal Wrestling Federation, and our stakes in what happens is about the same as controlling the outcome of Summer Slam 2015.

A Democratic president brought us NAFTA, a Democrat brought us healthcare reform in the form of a massive handout to insurers, a Democrat not only failed to punish the corporations that caused the 2008 crash but filled high level government positions with their alumni, and tried to cut entitlements in 2011. Gilens and Page's study has shown that what the people want is completely irrelevant in this country and if you think that is entirely the fault of Republicans, you either believe they have some dark wizard powers or you are in massive denial about how bad our political system is. Either way, you shouldn't be throwing around words like 'idiot', because that's the dumbest thing I've seen someone say in this thread in a long time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hibajubwa posted:

I got very excited when I saw that this document was 34 pages. Sadly the court document itself is only 9 pages (though it's still full-crazy start to finish.) Then theres another 25 pages of random lunacy.

Bonus quote:

Louis the Sun King in disguise?

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's the previous lawsuit that this one is referencing.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/262839669/More-Cray-Cray

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Maarek posted:

Turnout is low because people have absolutely no faith in members of their government doing anything to help them. We don't have lovely legislatures because turnout is low, we have low turnout because our legislatures are lovely. You want to pretend this is somehow the fault of the stupid rabble of the public because that's a problem that is relatively easy to solve and is a lot more comforting to believe than acknowledging that basically every election is deciding which flavor of vanilla you want. People like us (who keep up with this stuff and debate and care about it) are pretty much fans of the United States Federal Wrestling Federation, and our stakes in what happens is about the same as controlling the outcome of Summer Slam 2015.

A Democratic president brought us NAFTA, a Democrat brought us healthcare reform in the form of a massive handout to insurers, a Democrat not only failed to punish the corporations that caused the 2008 crash but filled high level government positions with their alumni, and tried to cut entitlements in 2011. Gilens and Page's study has shown that what the people want is completely irrelevant in this country and if you think that is entirely the fault of Republicans, you either believe they have some dark wizard powers or you are in massive denial about how bad our political system is. Either way, you shouldn't be throwing around words like 'idiot', because that's the dumbest thing I've seen someone say in this thread in a long time.

The American middle class overwhelmingly voted in Ronald Reagan and company. You can only say they've been misled for so long, at some point you have to assign responsibility to the people who form the majority of the conservative voting base. This constant self-flagellation by liberals is the dumbest loving thing. You can lead the American people to water, but if they don't like the water because it's friend of the family human being water and they're closed-minded bigots, you can't make them drink. It's not the liberals fault, and it's completely ridiculous to suggest it is

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Puck42 posted:

Here's the previous lawsuit that this one is referencing.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/262839669/More-Cray-Cray

Crazy Lady, page 16 of link posted:

Firstly, We, the Plaintiffs have demanded TWENTY (20) billion dollars in monetary damages, not two (2) billion.

Oh ok, I'm sure some municipality in loving Georgia can just pull together $20 billion to settle your lawsuit.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

It's not the fault of 'liberals' or the middle class or the BIG DUMB PLEBS. I know that you really want to believe that it's just a problem of people not having enough information so you can educate them and get them to vote for the right person, but it's not. In your fairy tale reading of political history, why did Bill Clinton sign the NAFTA bill and claim it was a great deal for every day Americans? Why did he 'reform' welfare, why did he say that Gramm-Leach-Bliley was a good idea? If our country was ruined by stupid racist rednecks voting for A Bad Man, how do you explain the Clinton and Obama presidencies?

I'll take a shot at it:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Louisiana universities are getting completely hosed over by Jindal's budget. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/lsu_academic_bankruptcy.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ohtsam posted:

Louisiana universities are getting completely hosed over by Jindal's budget. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/lsu_academic_bankruptcy.html

Look at those Conservatives, fiscally responsible in every way :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

What's the shortfall from?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Huge tax cuts/lower gas prices.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hibajubwa posted:

Bonus quote:

How could you not include this?

quote:

Don t you know that your FBI and CIA have been trying to recruit me since grade school? Lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Huge tax cuts/lower gas prices.

I dunno anything about Louisiana's tax base, how much of it is from oil/gas severance? What were the tax cuts aimed at?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Saying "gently caress LSU" seems like a good idea in Louisiana.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hibajubwa posted:

Bonus quote:

What a hoe

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Just as an aside, yeah everyone in this forum realizes Reagan was one of the worst presidents in our nation's history but maybe his election wasn't entirely the fault of big stupid hillbillies. Maybe if Carter hadn't spent his term cutting taxes on the rich during an economic downturn, vetoing infrastructure spending, and deregulating poo poo, he would have had an easier time keeping the Reagan defectors in his camp. Carter's approval ratings were in the garbage largely because of something he couldn't control (Iran), but his presidency was not a shining advertisement for the Democratic party, either.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Saying "gently caress LSU" seems like a good idea in Louisiana.

Well Gators fans are a core demographic in a crucial Presidential swing state.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maarek posted:

I'll take a shot at it:

I don't understand how to read these graphs. Is the dark black line supposed to be a trend line? If so, I don't see how the line in box 2 represents the dramatic falloff from 70% to 100%.

It does look like elite's interests are more represented, but not to the extent suggested by those lines.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My secret shameful confession: I like NAFTA. People here keep saying it's the worst thing ever, but I am pro-free-trade. It could have bene executed better... but, well, I'm gonna say the same thing about the TPP once that inevitably passes, too :(

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Just as an aside, yeah everyone in this forum realizes Reagan was one of the worst presidents in our nation's history but maybe his election wasn't entirely the fault of big stupid hillbillies. Maybe if Carter hadn't spent his term cutting taxes on the rich during an economic downturn, vetoing infrastructure spending, and deregulating poo poo, he would have had an easier time keeping the Reagan defectors in his camp. Carter's approval ratings were in the garbage largely because of something he couldn't control (Iran), but his presidency was not a shining advertisement for the Democratic party, either.

Reagan made us believe in America again after the boondoggle which was the Carter administration.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Maarek posted:

Okay, so literally everything is the fault of liberals betraying leftist values. The fact that the American middle class responded to this by voting in a borderline white supremacist who promised to destroy the left once and for all is apparently not its fault at all. This definitely checks out. The only way someone could believe what you're saying is if they completely absolve the American populace of any responsibility or agency whatsoever, like they're children who can't be held responsible for their actions if they don't have good role models

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Are you trying to tell me that the American political system is influenced by the super wealthy!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maarek posted:

Carter's approval ratings were in the garbage largely because of something he couldn't control (The Civil Rights Movement), but his presidency was not a shining advertisement for the Democratic party, either.

ftfy

• Locked thread