Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Am I the only one who can't take Laurels Canary outfit seriously at all? She looks like a slenderman clown.

Edit: I think she just needs to lose the black lipstick and instead apply it around her eyes. That would go a long way.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

JohnSherman posted:

Sorry Ray, Something Awful will always be awful. :downsrim:

Highlight of the episode, right here.

This episode wasn't bad for this season but drat, we cannot get to Oliver al Ghul soon enough. Also, I swear if they pussy out and he ends up discarding the mantle of head of the demon I will flip my poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oliver, you can't save Thea using the pit because it makes them go crazy...

...until they sleep it off. Then they are fine.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I briefly got excited when I thought about Oliver being the big bad for season 4, but with Roy leaving and Ray presumably about to go do his own thing on the spin-off show after breaking up with Felicity, that doesn't exactly leave a lot of people for Oliver to fight. Though I'd be 100% down with the Thea/Barrowman/Diggle/Laurel/Nyssa power hour for like 6-7 episodes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

VDay posted:

Though I'd be 100% down with the Thea/Barrowman/Diggle/Laurel/Nyssa power hour for like 6-7 episodes.

I'm fine with this except the Barrowman part. "I'm your dad" does not redeem "I set you up to get murdered by the LoA" and "I tried to destroy half the city and I killed 500 people".

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oliver, you can't save Thea using the pit because it makes them go crazy...

...until they sleep it off. Then they are fine.

She'll never be the same Oliver!!!!! JUST LET HER DIE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously not to belabor the point (:haw:) but Arrow better close out with one hell of a season finale or I'm out. The writing's been in a freefall since Ollie's death and they've singlehandedly made one of the coolest characters on the show almost as insufferable as Iris from The Flash.

Maybe Ollie's first assignment as an assassin will be to hunt down and murder the writers :smith:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was both incredibly great and incredibly terrible.

On the plus side, at least they didn't have Thea come back from a full death.

On the downside, its hilarious that Barrowman went "ITS A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH" when Thea appeared to suffer a weaker hangover than I got in college.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

God loving dammit writers nobody gives a poo poo about this awful romance subplot. If you'd canned it in the first episode of the season everything would have been so much better.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Axel Serenity posted:

Only a couple more episodes until Barry Allen unleashes the time voodoo and erases all of Ollie's terrible decisions this season :yayclod:
I dunno, that would be dumber than all the missteps (however big or small or however many are counted by whomever) this season, because it would just make it all pointless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

I liked Ra's scene with Felicity, but I wish Diggle had confronted him instead, I think they'd have a very interesting conversation.

Ra's got Ollie laid for the first time in almost two years, so good on him.

Ollie banged Slade's sidekick and became Eskimo brothers with his father halfway through last season.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, nearly two years ago. It was two calendar years ago.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Something Awful Forums > The TV IV > Arrow Season 3: "I hope that Something Awful becomes less awful"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I wish they wrote out Felicity instead of Roy.

Ra's al Ghul being her Cool Uncle was the weirdest thing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is it weird that I like Laurel more than Felicity at this point?

Show is going in all sorts of eye-rolling directions.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The fight on the back of the truck was kinda cool.

End of positivity.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

qbert posted:

It really is kind of crazy that, given their history, there isn't any semblance of romantic tension between Laurel and Oliver at this point.

Also that Laurel keeps finding out these huge developments after the fact. Like, nobody called her about Thea or any of it.

Anyway that was a good episode. I love all the League of Assassins stuff and especially Nable as Ra's.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

VagueRant posted:

End of positivity.

Well, them flipping around the car was sort of neat. It didn't require any writing, just a lot of good stuntwork, so that part went ok.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really liked that episode but I got insanely annoyed at the characters repeatedly saying that Ra's "nearly" killed Thea :argh:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I would rather my daughter be dead than subject her to the Lazarus pit!

No, she'll be fine, just moody and groggy for like a day and a half. I just really hate having to care for her and make her tea and stuff.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I would rather my daughter be dead than subject her to the Lazarus pit!

No, she'll be fine, just moody and groggy for like a day and a half. I just really hate having to care for her and make her tea and stuff.

Just you wait, she will be crazy before the season is over!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

qbert posted:

Laurel has somehow become the character I hate the least

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I shouldn't have watched Daredevil. Arrow's writing doesn't hold a candle to it at this point. I hate how the plot is all over the place compared to how tight seasons 1 & 2 were. There hasn't been the same sense of urgency with Ra's as there was with Merlyn and Deathstroke. (I will admit this might be more noticeable because I binged those seasons on Netflix.) And then there's all the Olicity bullshit that has ruined Felicity for me. :rolleyes:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Soothing Vapors posted:

Laurel has somehow become the character I hate the least

She is the only character trying to move forward with her live, and be productive. On top of that, she has been the paragon of reason in comparison to everyone else this season. The only real mark against her was not telling her father about Sara. Compare that to Felicity threatening to go to war with Ra's, a guy who squashed Oliver like an insect, and could probably take on Team Arrow+Ray+Idiot Barry at the same time and win.

Dango Bango posted:

I shouldn't have watched Daredevil. Arrow's writing doesn't hold a candle to it at this point. I hate how the plot is all over the place compared to how tight seasons 1 & 2 were. There hasn't been the same sense of urgency with Ra's as there was with Merlyn and Deathstroke. (I will admit this might be more noticeable because I binged those seasons on Netflix.) And then there's all the Olicity bullshit that has ruined Felicity for me. :rolleyes:

Arrow season 3 doesn't hold a candle to Arrow season 1 at this point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Valeyard posted:

Just you wait, she will be crazy before the season is over!!

I'm sure they'll have some longer-lasting but ultimately inconsistent effect of the Pit that she deals with, until they get bored with the plot and drop it. Like how mirakuru made Roy crazy, except when it didn't because there was other poo poo going on.

I like this version of Ra's, since it seems more convincing of how a centuries-old immortal might behave: extremely jaded and very difficult to rattle or offend. He clearly wasn't going to kill Felicity for standing up to him. There's no point to it and he's too distanced to be angry or emotionally invested. At this point, he's literally seen and done it all, and it comes across in the performance.

Unfortunately, this plot has been insanely uneven in terms of plot stakes or emotional intensity because of this. Ra's is scarcely a villain 99% of the time, so the points where he *does* do something evil feel manufactured. He's this wise warrior-philosopher, but then he shows up dressed in an Arrow costume to blow up Oliver's spot. It's weird and petty and impatient in a way an immortal with a rigid honor code doesn't seem like he'd be.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

End of positivity.

Actually I thought that was a weak point of the episode.

4 guys with automatic weapons shooting at the car at about 10m or so, only get a couple of movie bullet spark hits but there is no damage to the vehicle at all.
Both Ollie and Maseo shooting back and hitting nothing.
Ollie getting onto the truck and not getting shot at.
Katana blind stabbing the guy through the side of the truck, coming in and both of them taking a time out for a bit of witty banter when there was still soldiers standing around.
Driver not reacting at all to the person climbing along the side of the truck, opening the door, then just flopping out without putting up a fight.

I guess when Thea woke up it was "confusion" from the process, but she had memories of Merlyn being her dad, not knowing her mother is dead, not knowing Ollie is alive and not knowing what Oliver looks like, all at the same time?

Why was Razz all "grrr, they killed assasins trying to escape so they must pay" but wasn't all "grrr they killed assasins trying to bust out Merlyn so they must pay" a couple of weeks back?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timett posted:

Am I the only one who can't take Laurels Canary outfit seriously at all? She looks like a slenderman clown.

Edit: I think she just needs to lose the black lipstick and instead apply it around her eyes. That would go a long way.

It's just a motorcycle outfit.

The Shortest Path posted:

God loving dammit writers nobody gives a poo poo about this awful romance subplot. If you'd canned it in the first episode of the season everything would have been so much better.

An enormous amount of people care.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

On the downside, its hilarious that Barrowman went "ITS A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH" when Thea appeared to suffer a weaker hangover than I got in college.

I was waiting for Barrowman to go into his thousandth spiel about doing everything he can to be Thea's dad despite the terrible things he's done, and Thea just goes "Naw it's okay, I get it now. Wanna try building another earthquake machine?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I was waiting for Barrowman to go into his thousandth spiel about doing everything he can to be Thea's dad despite the terrible things he's done, and Thea just goes "Naw it's okay, I get it now. Wanna try building another earthquake machine?"

Why is he still alive? Arrow writers :argh:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I think a major issue with the League story line is no one really had an issue with Sarah being a member. Ollie and company should have been less resistant to the whole idea and then the writers could have spent time showing us why it was a terrible decision.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why is he still alive? Arrow writers :argh:

The issue isn't that he's alive. The issue is he's walking around a hospital like it's no big deal. It's like having Osama Bin Laden chilling in NYC and no one noticing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Getting stabbed through the torso is pretty much meaningless in this show.

Why did they try to make Thea's stabbing a big deal when they had already established torso stabbing was fine, twice?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That episode would gave been five minutes long if Felicity hadn't forgotten about the medical nanites Ray invented.

I guess Felicity was under a lot of stress, so it makes sense she might forget stuff, but when she was talking with Ray, her dialogue was written to make sure she didn't actually tell Ray what was going on, because I bet he would've remembered that he just invented medical nanites that saved his life like, a week ago.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

That episode would gave been five minutes long if Felicity hadn't forgotten about the medical nanites Ray invented.

I guess Felicity was under a lot of stress, so it makes sense she might forget stuff, but when she was talking with Ray, her dialogue was written to make sure she didn't actually tell Ray what was going on, because I bet he would've remembered that he just invented medical nanites that saved his life like, a week ago.

Everything really would have made a lot more sense if Ra's had actually killed Thea and the pit had to bring her back to life.

edit: that's a weird sentence, now that I look at it

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ollie: "S.T.A.R. Labs can't save her, only the Lazarus pit can"

Malcolm: "Have you tried giving her that tea that heals mortal wounds and those nanites that can do procedures considered medically impossible?"

Ollie: "get on the plane, Malcolm"

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
They skirted around Ollie being flat dead or just really really close, and they did the same thing with Thea, although they did say lazarus pit out loud.

Are they just terrified of getting yelled at by Jesus people or what? Why can't he have stabbed her in the heart and then brought her back? I don't understand why you do these things Arrow writers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, you WANT the lazarus pits to be able to bring back fully dead characters? With a snap of the fingers and bam presto change-o?

Sometimes, I really hate comic fans.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, you WANT the lazarus pits to be able to bring back fully dead characters? With a snap of the fingers and bam presto change-o?

Sometimes, I really hate comic fans.

I mean, clearly there is a consequence of some sort. So I don't exactly see snap of the fingers presto change-o here.

I mean, that seems better than "I am going to ignore all my other options and claim I have zero!"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, there's no reason to think this is the end of the Pit's effect on Thea. It could just be like TAHITI, and she is just waiting for the right stimulus to unlock her inner crazy. :unsmigghh:

Maybe she'll start drawing blueprints for Nanda Parbat, or writing "BARRY ALLEN IS THE FLASH" in a language that only Iris West can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
"S.T.A.R. Labs can't save her, only the Lazarus pit can" - Oliver Queen, noted scientist and expert in bleeding edge medical technology

• Locked thread