Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Also I kind of expected Tony to be unmasked and revealed as Manny after the intro to Dead Ahead. They're both kind of jerks to their nicer friends (Mark and Evan) but mostly because he knew to plant evidence in Alex's house.

I get that Manny breaks into Alex's home but why does everyone say that he's there "planting" evidence rather than searching for some? Is there something I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brovstin posted:

I get that Manny breaks into Alex's home but why does everyone say that he's there "planting" evidence rather than searching for some? Is there something I missed?

There's a wallet there after Pardo enters that wasn't there before. The crime scene dialogue mentions that the victim's wallet is missing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also I believe that's the scene where Manny has the victim in his car's trunk.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Plus the entire reason that First Trial happens is because Pardo sends Evan to The Golden Truckstop with a bogus password, presumably for the sin of focusing his investigation on Jacket instead of giving publicity to the Miami Mutilator.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
showed my non gamer best friend hotline miami 1 back when it released and he loved the poo poo out of it

showed him hm2 today, he experienced first hand dead ahead and commented on the lovely windows, giga niggas, dogs and gun toting people all over the map.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
he thought corey's dodge roll was cool.

then he tried it against an enemy

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Plus the entire reason that First Trial happens is because Pardo sends Evan to The Golden Truckstop with a bogus password, presumably for the sin of focusing his investigation on Jacket instead of giving publicity to the Miami Mutilator.

I assume that too but then again, he does let Evan look at Jake's stuff and take a tape of evidence. :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

showed my non gamer best friend hotline miami 1 back when it released and he loved the poo poo out of it

showed him hm2 today, he experienced first hand dead ahead and commented on the lovely windows, giga niggas, dogs and gun toting people all over the map.

the cycle of disappointment continues

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ArfJason posted:

he thought corey's dodge roll was cool.

then he tried it against an enemy

You know that you can hold down the button to roll way loving further right

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know that you can hold down the button to roll way loving further right

of course i do, but that won't save you from a stream of 24 m4 bullets, and he found out the hard way

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i told him about it, and also told him about how they intended for her to be able to enter a building through windows but didnt put it in. he said "wow, that's disappointing"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ArfJason posted:

of course i do, but that won't save you from a stream of 24 m4 bullets, and he found out the hard way

https://gfycat.com/ThoroughFatherlyHanumanmonkey

Incorrect!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Corey's roll is an exercise in Getting Good.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Arfjason just be honest and tell us your friend "loved" HM1 but didnt make it past lvl 4 or 5. Also, can't wait for level editor because there is no way I'm grinding 15k kills for the last cheevo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Geight posted:

Corey's roll is an exercise in Getting Good.

If you're cornered by a wounded fat guy, rolling straight between his legs can give you the second or two you need to bleed him out.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

turboraton posted:

Arfjason just be honest and tell us your friend "loved" HM1 but didnt make it past lvl 4 or 5. Also, can't wait for level editor because there is no way I'm grinding 15k kills for the last cheevo.

he actually beat it which was more than i was expecting

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

thats some stellar playing

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

So good even the fat guy at the end can't bring himself to avenge his dead mates.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

thats some stellar playing

That's the only non-monotonous way to beat that stage. So it's more mandatory.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

That's the only non-monotonous way to beat that stage. So it's more mandatory.

It's also the only way you can get an A+ / S rank, so

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Does Hard have higher score requirements too? I definitely am not that good but totally S-ranked that level on normal. It really is just getting a high combo with Tony and Swans, everything else is just for trying to compete for leaderboard position.

Actually it might've just been an A+. Either way, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ArfJason posted:

...That's gold.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Geight posted:

Does Hard have higher score requirements too? I definitely am not that good but totally S-ranked that level on normal. It really is just getting a high combo with Tony and Swans, everything else is just for trying to compete for leaderboard position.

Actually it might've just been an A+. Either way, though.

OK how good do you have to do with Tony and AA? I got an A- with the following combos:

Mark 20x
Corey 6x
Tony 10x
AA 12x

I really feel like the 20x with Mark should have pushed me over the top, and I can't really figure out any consistent combos for the other floors that go higher except Corey, which I think requires some intense dodge rolls like in that gif.

Hard seems to have the same score requirements but easier to get high ranks because there's more dudes, at least that's what I've seen from the first four levels.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Figured I'd give it a try again on normal and only got an A. :v: I really hate how the swans' portion of that level turns Ash from "somewhat buggy" to "paint-huffing retard who teleports through walls".

If it helps, I took out everyone on Mark's floor but four guys in one combo, only got like an 8 or so on Corey's floor though I had a 13 that I fuckin lost, 13 on Tony's, and like... two 10s on Swans because Ash is a loving idiot.

Geight fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 24, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Stairmaster posted:

The swat commander he talks to in the death-wish epilogue is the same one in the final cut.

I always figured that was just lazy sprite reuse, since just about everyone in the game has the same head and similar facial elements.

E: Also the dodge roll is poo poo because it only works in the 8 cardinal directions and you can't at any point change direction. Combine that with how melee thugs stand right on top of and get the first swing and you've got a recipe for poo poo. Seriously, I just replayed the last scene in the game ("takeover" iirc) last night as bodyguard, and the dodge roll was loving horrendous.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lacedaemonius posted:

I always figured that was just lazy sprite reuse, since just about everyone in the game has the same head and similar facial elements.

E: Also the dodge roll is poo poo because it only works in the 8 cardinal directions and you can't at any point change direction. Combine that with how melee thugs stand right on top of and get the first swing and you've got a recipe for poo poo. Seriously, I just replayed the last scene in the game ("takeover" iirc) last night as bodyguard, and the dodge roll was loving horrendous.

On consoles movement is analog and so is the roll dodge

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

UIApplication posted:

On consoles movement is analog and so is the roll dodge

Like, with the stick? It isn't limited at all?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grapplejack posted:

Like, with the stick? It isn't limited at all?

Yeah 360 degree angles for the roll dodge. Never thought about that on pc, 8 directions gimps that pretty hard

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

UIApplication posted:

Yeah 360 degree angles for the roll dodge. Never thought about that on pc, 8 directions gimps that pretty hard

it wouldn't be so bad if you could just change direction as you roll.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Been watching some Bloodbath Kavkaz videos, maybe it's just me but a game about a modern Russian killing Muslims doesn't have quite the same feel as a game about an alternate-universe 80s hitman killing Russians.

It certainly makes the "we're not racist, this is all fiction" disclaimer on the Steam page make a lot more sense.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, it's kinda like if all the enemies in Hotline were black. Sure you could say, nah they're all in a gang that happens to be of one ethnicity just like Russians, but it wouldn't really play that well in the US.

edit: I make this comparison having not played Bloodbath, it might not be correct

Lacedaemonius posted:

it wouldn't be so bad if you could just change direction as you roll.

With how long the roll can last, this would let you roll through a hostile room and into an empty one, safely baiting every enemy inside. That'd be really cool but also maybe a little too much? I dunno, I haven't put enough thought into it.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 26, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Pharmaskittle posted:

With how long the roll can last, this would let you roll through a hostile room and into an empty one, safely baiting every enemy inside. That'd be really cool but also maybe a little too much? I dunno, I haven't put enough thought into it.

I don't think it'd really be any more ridiculous than Mark effortlessly decimating the first floor and a half or so, or the kind of bloodbath you can pull with Alex and Ash. Better than Tony, but it's not like Corey wasn't better than Tony in the first place (being stuck unable to even throw stuff really sucks).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, Apocalypse. Playing that high was a terrifying experience. :okpos: :catdrugs:

So is the Richard hallucination Jacket telepathically communicating with everybody? His conversation with Beard in the Hard Mode intro seems to imply as much.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 26, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hope the level editor lets us make horrifying trippy poo poo like Apocalypse and not just regular levels, I want a whole game like that

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Holy poo poo, Apocalypse. Playing that high was a terrifying experience. :okpos: :catdrugs:

So is the Richard hallucination Jacket telepathically communicating with everybody? His conversation with Beard in the Hard Mode intro seems to imply as much.

What? No. In that same level, Richter says "Hey, I'm sorry for..." and Richard says, "I'm not really who you think I am."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
But then what the hell is his conversation with Beard supposed to mean? Kinda comes off as him lying to Richter and being honest with Beard, judging by how he drops the cryptic tone almost entirely with the latter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

But then what the hell is his conversation with Beard supposed to mean? Kinda comes off as him lying to Richter and being honest with Beard, judging by how he drops the cryptic tone almost entirely with the latter.

It's almost certainly referring to the weird moment where Beard's CO went on a crazy possessed rant while wearing the skin of a big cat.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Milky Moor posted:

What? No. In that same level, Richter says "Hey, I'm sorry for..." and Richard says, "I'm not really who you think I am."

You're thinking of Richter. Beard asks if they've met before, and Richard says they have and that he wished they'd met under difference circumstances.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

You're thinking of Richter. Beard asks if they've met before, and Richard says they have and that he wished they'd met under difference circumstances.

I know.

And Richard tells Richter he's not Jacket, hence my post.

goons~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I feel that the best thing that Richard could represent could be Death itself, and ultimately, oblivion. He acts as everyone's reaper, giving them ominous hints towards the inevitable future. When he says that Beard and him have met before, he means that Beard has faced death in San Francisco. When he tells Evan he is something he will never understand, it's because nobody could ever understand death in its entirety, no matter how much could be written. To him, life is just a dream, and sooner or later, we all have to wake up. Either that, or he means he's literally something none of us will ever understand, and he's some sort of mystery David Lynchian figure that will never be explained.

• Locked thread