Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Here's my advice on sidequests:

- Do only as many sidequests as you feel like doing, whether that's none, all, or anywhere in between. One thing to consider would be to do few or no sidequests in NG as you play through for the story, and be completionist about sidequesting in NG+.

And on staying appropriately leveled:

- Skip enemies with gray tags, which are way lower level than you and give gently caress-all besides loot for killing them.
- Consider skipping enemies with blue tags, which are somewhat lower level than you.
- Explore thoroughly for a. pretty areas, b. experience for exploring, c. pretty areas, d. more things to kill as you explore, and e. pretty areas.
- Not counting gray/blue-tagged enemies, kill all the enemies you meet as you go along (not counting those red-tagged things 50 levels above you, skip them since they'll murder the poo poo out of you).
- If you find yourself in a new area and everything you meet is yellow (or worse, red) tagged - but not ridiculously higher level than you, just mildly - then you probably want to catch up on experience. Most people encounter this around level 70 or so, the game kind of has a hiccup in its level scaling around then (plot area with enemies up to 67-68ish, then a bunch of bosses, then the next plot area has its lowest enemies around 72).

To catch up on experience, you can:

- Farm the lowest level things in this new tough everything's-higher-than-you area if you can handle them.
- Backtrack to the next highest area and farm the black tagged things there. (If you run into this around level 70 in particular, there are also enemies in the high 60s and low 70s in certain parts of Colony 6 and Colony 9.)
- Do some of those sidequests you've been skipping. Preferably something that unlocked relatively recently, since sidequests available earlier in the game reward less experience. NB that some sidequests that unlock late in the game are actually for postgame content and would expect you to kill (or at least survive running past) enemies that are 10+ levels higher than the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vil posted:

- Explore thoroughly for a. pretty areas, b. experience for exploring, c. pretty areas, d. more things to kill as you explore, and e. pretty areas.

Mildly important note, maps will auto-fill when you find all locations/landmarks in an area. So don't swim all over Eryth Sea to fill in the map, it'll do it for you when you've found everything of note.

Vil posted:

- Not counting gray/blue-tagged enemies, kill all the enemies you meet as you go along (not counting those red-tagged things 50 levels above you, skip them since they'll murder the poo poo out of you).

Also worth noting, enemy tags have an icon on them that note whether an enemy will attack you on sight, attack you if they hear you running past, or won't attack you unless you attack them. Pay attention and you can get by without fighting more often than not.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not that Famitsu matters much, but apparently the review for XenobladeX is out and it got a 8/8/9/9.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Isn't that pretty low for a highly anticipated big-name JRPG?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess, but like I said, it's Famitsu. Their idea of a 40/40 is FFXIII-2 and JoJo ASB.

Main complaints from the 8s were cutscene length and "a lot of details about the game system are left unexplained, leaving me with an impression of having to blindly stumble through things myself." Which coming from a game reviewer could just mean not enough handholding for them, since Xenoblade had good tutorials, only forcing the basics on you and letting you delve into them deeper at your leisure.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
This week's Xenoblade X website update:

There's a small introductory page on online features: http://xenobladex.jp/online/online01.html
-You can find and recruit other players' characters in the world
-If your character gets recruited, you gain experience

A page on squads: http://xenobladex.jp/online/online02.html
-Squads allow you to co-operate with other human players who are in the same squad
-Squads have up to 32 players
-You can pick from 3 types of squads: "Life point search squads" (for people who want to focus on single player), "Conquest squads" (for people who want to focus on multiplayer) and "Friend's squads" (squads that contain one or more of your friends)
-You can change your squad at will
-You can send friend requests to squadmates
-Treasure deals: you can hand out unneeded loot to other players in your squad

Affinity chart: http://xenobladex.jp/world/kizuna.html
-As in the previous game, shows the relationships between different characters
-Both NPCs and playable characters are now on the same chart
-Strengthening relationships between characters gives access to affinity quests and heart-to-hearts
-You can strengthen relationships by:

quote:

-Making choices that the character agrees with
-Accepting and completing affinity quests
-Completing story quests and normal quests
-Fulfilling the character's Soul Voices
-Watching heart-to-hearts
-You can also view your relationships with other human players you've met online

This week's illustration is a bunch of anime girls: http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery10.html

There's also a bunch of screenshots from the Continent of Black Steel: http://xenobladex.jp/special/sp-welcome20150423.html

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thoom posted:

It just means they didn't pay for the full 40/40.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doc V posted:

This week's Xenoblade X website update

Why is this starting to sound like Dragon's Dogma: the Next Generation?

Note that this is meant in mostly good ways.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Playing through Chronicles and I just now got to Riki and, though I have this deep down reactionary feeling that I must hate him and not include him in my active party, I don't seem to be able to do that. It's just so dumb funny, this megalomaniacal egg rabbit. I was just getting used to Dunban as lead, and now I've swung 180 degrees and have this dumb poo poo going on and I kinda enjoy it and can't figure out why. It's just so ridiculous.

Pretty cool game.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

Playing through Chronicles and I just now got to Riki and, though I have this deep down reactionary feeling that I must hate him and not include him in my active party, I don't seem to be able to do that. It's just so dumb funny, this megalomaniacal egg rabbit. I was just getting used to Dunban as lead, and now I've swung 180 degrees and have this dumb poo poo going on and I kinda enjoy it and can't figure out why. It's just so ridiculous.

Pretty cool game.
Just wait until the first heart-to-heart with him and Melia. It's the most adorable thing ever. :3:

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 23, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Thoom posted:

If the game sucks they're in deep poo poo because the only other game coming is like....Splatoon.

Mario Maker just exists to be trampled upon by other games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fix posted:

Pretty cool game.

He's legitimately one of the best party members. He can fit into any slot you'd want him to, ether attacks, physical attacks, healer, tank, status effects... Shulk/Dunban/Riki is what I'd consider the most well-rounded, best team.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus he's likeable, actually funny, and has surprising depth for the cutesy mascot archetype.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
A Direct/Treehouse Stream has been announced for this game for Friday 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Terper posted:

He's legitimately one of the best party members. He can fit into any slot you'd want him to, ether attacks, physical attacks, healer, tank, status effects... Shulk/Dunban/Riki is what I'd consider the most well-rounded, best team.

The one thing he can't do particularly well unless you build your whole team around it, is hold aggro. So from a tank perspective it's more that if he accidentally pulls aggro he's beefy and can take a bunch of hits. But he's not going to be anywhere near the aggro machine that Reyn (or Melia :v:) is.

Still, I'd safely categorize him as somewhere between a jack and a master of all trades. Generally anything he does, isn't quite as good as someone fully specialized in it, but it's good enough to be totally respectable. His variety of arts also means he plays well with chain attacks for different groups - include more reds if paired with Shulk/Reyn/Dunban, include more blues and purples if paired with Sharla/Melia.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Champeenship posted:

A Direct/Treehouse Stream has been announced for this game for Friday 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern.

Wonder what that means about the release date. People were speculating Fall/Winter for the NA release, but game-specific directs usually only happen close to release.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

Wonder what that means about the release date. People were speculating Fall/Winter for the NA release, but game-specific directs usually only happen close to release.

It's probably because given two weeks we're gonna be flooded with spoilers from the Japanese release, so Nintendo needs to either give us something or let the public talk about the game, and regardless of how good it is, letting the public be the only voice to speak on your game is a bad idea.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo Direct is just going to be

"We've done it, we've surrendered to the anime, we request all to bathe in the cleansing light of the desu for salvation is the one true sugoi"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Thoom posted:

famitsu's basically worthless as far as reviews go these days, i'm waiting to see what 2ch people and japanese goons have to say

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm not surprised to hear that some of the mechanics are a little esoteric and obtuse, since that was also the case in the first Xenoblade. There's major mechanical stuff I straight up didn't notice until a lot later into my first playthrough than I should have, and even a few things I didn't fully get until replaying on 3DS.

The first game should be more than a good enough primer for X, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

The first game should be more than a good enough primer for X, though.

"Recast"s alone are gonna gently caress a lot of people up, nevermind how the hell "Soul Voice" is supposed to work.

There is a lotta carryover but they're also changing a whole bunch so if you play it just like you did the first game, you're probably gonna be missing out on a bunch of poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

famitsu's basically worthless as far as reviews go these days, i'm waiting to see what 2ch people and japanese goons have to say

They included character hair from Xenogears and Xenosaga. You can make Fei Wong and Elle as well as Shion and KOS-MOS.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Recast"s alone are gonna gently caress a lot of people up, nevermind how the hell "Soul Voice" is supposed to work.

There is a lotta carryover but they're also changing a whole bunch so if you play it just like you did the first game, you're probably gonna be missing out on a bunch of poo poo.

I mean a primer in the sense of being used to some of the fundamentals, and being accustomed to digging deep into the interface to find certain key mechanics.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Taint Reaper posted:

They included character hair from Xenogears and Xenosaga. You can make Fei Wong and Elle as well as Shion and KOS-MOS.
This makes me unreasonably excited. I guess I'm shallow but gently caress that will be cool as poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I can't wait to make derpy Fei. Or Wiseman!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the taint reaper's a moron, don't believe anything he says

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I want to play as Chu-Chu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fungah! posted:

the taint reaper's a moron, don't believe anything he says

You just got taint reaped son!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Idioteque Dance posted:

Just wait until the first heart-to-heart with him and Melia. It's the most adorable thing ever. :3:

I think I'm doing something wrong because I'm basically not able to watch any of the heart-to-hearts. I think I've done two, total.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I said come in! posted:

You just got taint reaped son!

guard your taints people

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

I think I'm doing something wrong because I'm basically not able to watch any of the heart-to-hearts. I think I've done two, total.

Most of them require very high Affection, to the point where a bunch aren't even doable until New Game+.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fix posted:

nah some of them have annoyingly high affinity requirements. for as much as i like xenoblade, the affinity system is a pile of garbage and i hope it's better/not in x

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oxxidation posted:

Most of them require very high Affection, to the point where a bunch aren't even doable until New Game+.

Is it something where I'm going to be running back to the first colony to fill out some cutscene later, or can I just kinda ignore them?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fix posted:

Is it something where I'm going to be running back to the first colony to fill out some cutscene later, or can I just kinda ignore them?

you can pretty much ignore them. some of them are great but it can be a pain to grind out the affinity to get them

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Motto posted:

I suspect late June/early July release. Space out enough time for Splatoon and to show it off at E3.

Which in that case, thank god, it's going to be a pain to dodge the minefield of spoilers once the game is out in Japan a week from now so having to two months as oppose to a half year is much better.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fix posted:

You can ignore them if you like. They're cute little vignettes between two characters, which go on to increase their affinity by a decent enough chunk, give or take a bit depending on how you answer. The answer variations can really lead to up to 4 different conversations within them, so it's worth saving beforehand and trying out different responses. Some of the "bad" answers (by which you get a little less affinity) still lead to interesting, funny, or heartwarming conversations.

They should have been at green/blue/purple affinity, rather than green/purple/pink though. The pink ones are thoroughly pointless except to simply see them, since your affinity's maxed by that point anyway.

None of them are missable, although there's one or two where you might have to jump through some hoops to once again be able to get to their location if you blow them off until late-game.

Affinity grinding between characters can be done automatically albeit slowly as soon as you get to Makna. (Basically you piss off one of those level 98 dinos and then get it stuck on a tree so it can't actually kill you. Your party members will flail uselessly at it, get depressed that they're useless, and cheer each other up, repeating endlessly.) The advantages to this are that it's early and that it's automatic, though on Wii you'll have to poke the controller periodically to keep the game from going into "no input received, pausing everything" mode. Shouldn't be an issue on 3DS though.

If you're in the mid 80s or higher, however (basically, high enough and geared enough to smack a level 87 unique for a while), it's faster get some sleep/debuff resist gems together on your controlled character and go farm affinity from Stormy Belagon (a unique in Eryth). If someone smacks him without sleep resist, they're put to sleep, so you basically just have your controlled character spam B to repeatedly wake up (and occasionally encourage) their allies, getting affinity for every waking and every encouragement. The allies will promptly smack the unique and fall asleep again as soon as they're woken up. Run away until he leashes to reset the fight, if ever either a. you're in noteworthy danger or b. Stormy Belagon gets close to dying.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Some guy translated parts of Dengeki's review and guide on Xenoblade X.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tfO-elYLCSqnqk81vvPcXPGaMEG7o8qZIg8w-JVpZO0/pub

Some minor story spoilers if you scroll near the bottom but its tagged when the spoilers come up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

quote:

After clearing a certain quest, you’re able to freely re-customize your avatar. You can even change genders

quote:

No matter what height you jump from in this game, you won’t take any damage. You can jump all the way down from the top of the Upper Strata in the BLADE Area to the Lower Strata.

*morphs genders while leaping off a mountaintop with no parachute* Now this is what I call gaming

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If tomorrow's direct has a release date and said release date is also within this year and also an english trailer with characters speaking with an english accent I will poo poo myself right there and then at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Calaveron posted:

If tomorrow's direct has a release date and said release date is also within this year and also an english trailer with characters speaking with an english accent I will poo poo myself right there and then at work.

:toxx:

• Locked thread