Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Got you covered, Factorio is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDZM0diiYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The last video game ad that surprised me was a Dead Space 2 TV spot that had a bunch of old ladies acting shocked and horrified. It was the most 90s thing I've ever seen.

The TV ad for the original SNEs Yoshi's Island, which had a guy's stomach explode like Mr Creosote after eating too much, traumatized me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

22 Eargesplitten posted:

From my experience, food being bland is a Midwest America thing. Maybe because people in the dust bowl couldn't afford spices. Of course, it's also just a "bad cook" thing. My mother in law is neither Midwestern nor British, and yet she even manages to make bland curries.

I live in Burnsville, a suburb of the Twin Cities in the upper mid-west. My convenient takeout food choices are Thai, North-East Africa, Mediterranean, Russian, Nepalese, and Korean. Those are within 5 minutes driving distance and I live well outside the inner ring metro. I'm not including the standard fast-food crap, Green Mill kind of poo poo, all of the ones I list are absurdly good food.

Within easy walking distance I have a commercial donut store that has a great dining room (only open until 9-10am), a family restaurant with the best tater-tot hotdish you've ever had, and a barbecue joint that's been featured on Man vs. Food (not that I'm proud of that).

Don't assume the mid-west is boring. I like ham and potatoes, I also like Seafood Rad Na and dol sot bi bim bop. The African place has something they call a "Sport Platter" that will make you cry it's so good. If we go out for lunch at work, we have to choose which of the 2 or 3 sushi places we prefer.

When you make an assumption, you make an rear end of you, and umption.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

yours was that you thought that you were posting this in the right thread :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mostlygray posted:

I live in Burnsville, a suburb of the Twin Cities in the upper mid-west. My convenient takeout food choices are Thai, North-East Africa, Mediterranean, Russian, Nepalese, and Korean. Those are within 5 minutes driving distance and I live well outside the inner ring metro. I'm not including the standard fast-food crap, Green Mill kind of poo poo, all of the ones I list are absurdly good food.

Within easy walking distance I have a commercial donut store that has a great dining room (only open until 9-10am), a family restaurant with the best tater-tot hotdish you've ever had, and a barbecue joint that's been featured on Man vs. Food (not that I'm proud of that).

Don't assume the mid-west is boring. I like ham and potatoes, I also like Seafood Rad Na and dol sot bi bim bop. The African place has something they call a "Sport Platter" that will make you cry it's so good. If we go out for lunch at work, we have to choose which of the 2 or 3 sushi places we prefer.

You may have a point, but what kind of food was your mom making in the 70's and 80's?

I'm in Michigan, and I'm lucky enough that my particular county is probably the most liberal artsy you can get without going to a coastal city, but it's but one small oasis among the rest of the state where up until even a decade ago, Mexican food that wasn't Taco Bell or Chi-Chi's was considered a novelty and weird. My mom's the type who thinks ketchup is spicy and had no idea that buffalo flavor wasn't just some kinda barbecue until about five years ago. It's the Gen-Xers and below that are the foodies that encourage broadening your pallet and have made these huge swathes of awesome ethnic food available widespread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are we talking about local food? I live in middle of nowhere Ohio and we have a pretty meh mom and pop diner, a tourist restaurant specializing in Amish food and then you have to drive 20 minutes away to start hitting chain fast food. Bland is the specialty here.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

mostlygray posted:

This would have been an excellent point well made if you hadn't followed it up by telling us you live near a donut restaurant.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also, what little I know of the twin cities includes that area having a huge immigrant population, at least compared to most of the Midwest. None of the places you mentioned as good are American/Western European restaurants (or any European, depending on what part of the Mediterranean / Russia).

Edit: I missed the hot dish and BBQ places. Is there a restaurant that only serves casseroles, or is that just the highlight? I'm reserving judgement on the barbecue until you say whether they are from somewhere else.

You know what? I'm just going to say what I've been tiptoeing around this whole post: the only way to have good food in the Midwest is if immigrants or black people brought it with them.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Apr 22, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mostlygray posted:

I'm from the midwest and my family and their friends all make the worst, most bland food imaginable (like another poster said, salad with a shitload of mayo). Going out literally meant going to loving Applebee's.

So in conclusion, your anecdotal evidence has been destroyed by mine. Owned.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Actually food in Des moines kicks rear end from Continental to Mediterranian to Korean to Thai, it's pretty drat diverse here.

But....go outside of Des Moines and yeah, Applebees, Chilis, and Generic_Diner_01 that serves burgers, biscuits and nasty fuckin gravy, or generic chicken strips.

So everyone here is right. I'm just more right because I'm in Des Moines.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Des Moines is actually a void. I don't care how many people tell me it's a thriving hub of culture, it sucks. There are some places in Iowa with large migrant populations that have good Mexican and Vietnamese food, but Des Moines is not one of them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

Des Moines is actually a void. I don't care how many people tell me it's a thriving hub of culture, it sucks. There are some places in Iowa with large migrant populations that have good Mexican and Vietnamese food, but Des Moines is not one of them.

I took damage from how wrong this post is.

Just cuz I have the day off and time: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/dining/2014/09/09/des-moines-tops-another-list/15346395/

While not the end all of food experts, the fact that its specifically named counts for something other than being a "void".

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol..

anyway, did Quiznos appropriating "We like the mooon" rat thing from rathergood pay off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6insZjCfU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Last Chance posted:

lol..

anyway, did Quiznos appropriating "We like the mooon" rat thing from rathergood pay off?

The mainstream TV ad world was not ready for Internet meme humor in 2004.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Last Chance posted:

lol..

It payed off with me, I loved those drat commercials and I'm pretty sure I was the only one. I did indeed eat more Quiznos

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Nike had their own internet flash ad as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1rbEOuVjkE

I don't know if they were actually on tv though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I don't remember it coming up in the thread, but does anyone remember either the 5 hour energy or 6 hour power commercial where it was heavily implied the dude got blown by the hot secretary or whatever after taking a swig? I remember seeing that commercial when I was younger and being very perplexed it was allowed on US TV.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Speaking of Iowa food, a weird thing about that is that here in Ann Arbor Michigan, one of the most popular restaurants, Zingerman's Roadhouse (they also have a popular bakery and deli long established in town) is apparently typical "Iowa" home cooking in style. I've been there once. They had a decent selection of mac and cheeses, and I had bbq goat shank, but it just seemed like stick-to-your-ribs country cooking to me, and nowhere near worth the high prices they charge.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

canyoneer posted:

The mainstream TV ad world was not ready for Internet meme humor in 2004.

I loved them but I was 13-14 when they aired. That reminds me, I have an unused $20 Quiznos gift card around somewhere. I don't think any exist in my entire state now since the one in my city closed when I was in high school.

e: Meant to quote the original post, w/e.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Waffle posted:

It payed off with me, I loved those drat commercials and I'm pretty sure I was the only one. I did indeed eat more Quiznos

You probably were. Even in the more forgotten corners of the internet, folks had no idea what the gently caress those rats were. Mainstream was not yet prepared for Flash sensation advertising, though I wouldn't have minded a Coke commercial that incorporated Hatten är Din.

Quiznos was still good enough that I was willing to overlook the insinuation that their restaurants were infested with vermin

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Quiznos was still good enough that I was willing to overlook the insinuation that their restaurants were infested with vermin

Or their ovens being sex offenders.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Last Chance posted:

lol..

If memory serves, I first saw that ad on a commercial break for the Venture Brother's episode where 21 was wearing the same "Porkchop Sandwiches" shirt that I was. In a pre-social media world, that amount of pandering to marginal nerdery completely blew my mind. Now that poo poo is like advertising 101.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of Iowa food, a weird thing about that is that here in Ann Arbor Michigan, one of the most popular restaurants, Zingerman's Roadhouse (they also have a popular bakery and deli long established in town) is apparently typical "Iowa" home cooking in style. I've been there once. They had a decent selection of mac and cheeses, and I had bbq goat shank, but it just seemed like stick-to-your-ribs country cooking to me, and nowhere near worth the high prices they charge.

I don't think I've ever heard somebody say that Zingerman's is worth the price. People just go there to say they got Zingerman's.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

I wouldn't have minded a Coke commercial that incorporated Hatten är Din.
You be drinking Coooooke
You be drinking CoooOOOOoooke
You drink it then
You drink it then
It's hot, baby HOT BABEH

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Last Chance posted:

lol..

Reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7RYKPJBdo

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The White Dragon posted:

You probably were. Even in the more forgotten corners of the internet, folks had no idea what the gently caress those rats were. Mainstream was not yet prepared for Flash sensation advertising, though I wouldn't have minded a Coke commercial that incorporated Hatten är Din.

Umm, why do you keep calling them rats? They aren't rats. They are Sponge Monkies.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently this is an ad for a funeral equipment expo. Sponsored by a life insurance company.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

nerdz posted:

Apparently this is an ad for a funeral equipment expo. Sponsored by a life insurance company.

Man, I can imagine showing up to something called "Funexpo" and being incredibly disappointed.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Sorry, this isn't the balls-out awesome moves in marketing thread. It'd be an honor and privilege for Coffin Man to surf my enclosed body over the horizon.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I like that one haha. I'm sure it got everyone at the expo's attention. I hope they had a large sign in the lobby with the cool surfing coffin.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

nerdz posted:

"We put the FUN in Funeral!"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"We put the FUN in Funeral!"

if they don't have expo t-shirts with this slogan, they are failing hard. I want one now.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

mostlygray posted:

Within easy walking distance I have a commercial donut store that has a great dining room

What

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Mmm donut dinner. *puts on bib and top hat, holds knife and fork at the ready*

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Christ, I'm in stitches. I thought I was just being a typical brit thinking that was weird.

Also, naming loads of foreign food places to prove your local food isn't bland is kinda stupid. Lots of curries were invented in the UK, for instance, but that isn't what people think about when they complain about "english food" is it?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Roblo posted:

Christ, I'm in stitches. I thought I was just being a typical brit thinking that was weird.

Also, naming loads of foreign food places to prove your local food isn't bland is kinda stupid. Lots of curries were invented in the UK, for instance, but that isn't what people think about when they complain about "english food" is it?

I've always explained the Empire as "we were hungry". The fact that curry pretty much instantaneously became our de-facto dish (replacing fish & chips which was brought by sephardi Jewish immigrants iirc) kinda backs it up too.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

jojoinnit posted:

Mmm donut dinner. *puts on bib and top hat, holds knife and fork at the ready*

It may sound strange, but a lot of donut places in my area also have fantastic spaghetti sike I'm lying.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
She may look like Mrs. Stretch Armstrong but dammit WW1 needed some sex appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Chinese Government Cracks Down On Funeral Strippers