Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

Ridiculous bureaucratic obstacles during the hiring process would be a huge red flag for me.

When you call them on it and they say "yeah it sucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" that's so dumb.

Recruiter scheduled and interview for me and then sent me an application packet that included asking for my high school GPA (I was 27 at the time with a 4-year degree from a good school) and "How did you pay for your college education?"

Called and yelled at the recruiter a little, then ended up filling it out anyway because I'm dumb. I left the GPA blank but was so close to writing in "Good enough for Tufts," and for how I paid for college, I just put "USD, mainly in the form of wire transfers."

gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off today:

Complained about a job application process a couple weeks ago, wherin I had to upload my resume and then re-create it with 17 terrible web forms so they could dump it all into a generic PDF.

Well, I got through two rounds of phone interviews with the company and they scheduled me for an in-person interview session. They then sent me a second job application form to fill out. It's a full job application form, employment history, education, even references! I double-checked with the HR guy I'm working with that this is the right form and that they do indeed want me to essentially apply again even though I'm this far along in the process, and it's true. He did express his regret that their process is like this. I don't know, I guess I feel like when you have a dozen and a half glassdoor reviews that all include points that boil down to, "your hiring process is poo poo," you'd maybe want to make a big push to fix that sooner rather than later.

Not pissing me off: Got interviews with a second company on the same week, so if they both like me I'm gonna have some leverage :D

Well, if they have an obscenely broken hiring process, I doubt that they're going to do anything about a competing offer.

Edit:

Inspector_666 posted:

Recruiter scheduled and interview for me and then sent me an application packet that included asking for my high school GPA (I was 27 at the time with a 4-year degree from a good school) and "How did you pay for your college education?"

Called and yelled at the recruiter a little, then ended up filling it out anyway because I'm dumb. I left the GPA blank but was so close to writing in "Good enough for Tufts," and for how I paid for college, I just put "USD, mainly in the form of wire transfers."

Asking how you paid for college is an awful red flag since it just screams "We want you to tell us about things that can be used to sue us for hiring discrimination."

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 22, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

The application for this company had the "what is your desired salary for this position" question and my answer was "Negotiable."

Volmarias posted:

Well, if they have an obscenely broken hiring process, I doubt that they're going to do anything about a competing offer.

Eh, it's just got a bunch of stupid red tape, it's getting them candidates they (appear to) like and they move pretty quickly in terms of contacting me and moving the process forward. There's nothing about that that speaks to how open to negotiation they are. Anyway, the leverage opportunities would apply to the other company as well as this one.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Last time I applied at a place with a ridiculous web form like that, I got two steps in, gave up, and they called me anyway to set up some interviews. Maybe that's a good sign?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Volmarias posted:

Asking how you paid for college is an awful red flag since it just screams "We want you to tell us about things that can be used to sue us for hiring discrimination."

I can think of absolutely no positive outcomes to that question, it was the one that pissed me off the most.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hmm, I have done some searching and a few people have suggested that this job never existed and the person interviewing you is just gathering data that can be lucrative to sell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, I went in for an interview with the company and it seemed to exist and be an MSP. I think they just had a very inflated sense of exclusivity and wanted to weed people out who "didn't want to be there."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Specifically they want to know if you have student loans from college and are therefore desperate and can be easily hosed in both hiring and future salary negotiations since you can't afford to not have the job.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

go3 posted:

Specifically they want to know if you have student loans from college and are therefore desperate and can be easily hosed in both hiring and future salary negotiations since you can't afford to not have the job.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Whenever someone asks you something, the question you must ask yourself is 'how could this answer be used to gently caress me down the line?'

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Baseless speculation for $600.

Evil corporation :tinfoil: for $1000

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Our project needs 2 systems to be connected but there were firewall issues so we couldn't get it working yet

Once the 2 systems were connected we are supposed to pen test to provide assurance to the customer

Then firewall issue slipped into pen test week so we cancelled the consultant - then the Project manager changed his mind and sent in the pen tester to do a couple of days to try and claw back some time

My opinion is that the pen test is worthless without the firewall / connection but this product has a C Level who would kick my rear end hard if I said no so I figure pick my battles, I've said my piece- get on with it if you really want

Today firewall issue was resolved so firewall guy turns up on site to fit it and he tells me he is bored of the project manager nagging him so he has no plans on telling him that he has fitted the firewall

It's not lost on me if he told the PM, it just ticks the box and stops the nagging but never mind.

On the other hand the PM did ask me to rewrite a set of documents that took 6 months to create in 2 weeks point being I think he has history for looking at his MS Project and just make up deadlines based on a the jigsaw of fitting it in without considering what he is asking people to do or suggesting extra resource to reduce time instead

I suppose the lesson for me is when working with a PM, which admittedly I haven't done too much of. I probably, at certain points, where I have a valid defensible position then I should probably pick a few more battles to fight than I currently do. On this particular project I sit 200 miles away from the C level and the PM sits next door so maybe not the best one to try learning some new tricks on!

Oh my job has become politics :(

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

Don't see you proposing an alternative reason why a recruiter would want to know how someone paid for college, or how that could possibly be relevant or useful in helping them match a candidate with a company/job, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Whenever someone asks you something, the question you must ask yourself is 'how could this answer be used to gently caress me down the line?'
He should answer: "I worked my way through Tufts with a job at a local strip joint."

Edit: Fixing auto spell.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 23, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Che Delilas posted:

Don't see you proposing an alternative reason why a recruiter would want to know how someone paid for college, or how that could possibly be relevant or useful in helping them match a candidate with a company/job, though.

No, no, the form came from the company, not the recruiter. But if you're making me send you my resume and doing a Skype interview with me before you even pass my resume on, I expect that you won't also be giving me "Oh you just walked in off the street now fill this out" bullshit.

That recruitment firm did actually get me some interviews but it seemed like they didn't bother doing anything beyond sending my resume to people, which I could just as easily do myself.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

No, no, the form came from the company, not the recruiter. But if you're making me send you my resume and doing a Skype interview with me before you even pass my resume on, I expect that you won't also be giving me "Oh you just walked in off the street now fill this out" bullshit.

Ah alright then. Still, I have a hard time coming up with any legitimate reason to ask for information about how you paid for your education, though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

Because I don't need to. Sickening already proposed it being an information gathering scam, which is more likely than dubiously soliciting financial information during the interview process to find out whether or not they can "gently caress you over,"

News flash: almost nobody works because they want to. We all have bills and lifestyle expenses. That's why we have jobs. I like my job, but I wouldn't have it if I didn't need to, and I don't think I'm unique in that.

Do you also think companies pull credit to find out whether or not you have debt and they can gently caress you, or might there be another reason?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Future/current employee financial status is actually a thing companies do try and track

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The ideal employee is someone who is good enough to get hired but not good enough to get hired away/find another job quickly, is married with kids but is the sole breadwinner, and has a college degree but loads of student debt.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

go3 posted:

The ideal employee is someone who is good enough to get hired but not good enough to get hired away/find another job quickly, is married with kids but is the sole breadwinner, and has a college degree but loads of student debt.

Right idea, wrong reasons.

They're ideal employees because they're stable, not because they're hopelessly in debt and can be hosed over. Debt is tracked for stability, again. All debt, not just student debt. Your insurance company also tracks this (as a risk factor and measure of stability), as do security clearances, etc. Your financial situation is a good indicator of how much you have your poo poo together. People with debt problems miss work because their car breaks down. They're stressed and less productive. Unmarried people without a mortgage are more likely to move with little notice or jump to an unstable company (like a startup).

These are all risk factors which are reasonable to track. To protect the company. Not to gently caress you over in salary negotiations.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Right idea, wrong reasons.

They're ideal employees because they're stable, not because they're hopelessly in debt and can be hosed over. Debt is tracked for stability, again. All debt, not just student debt. Your insurance company also tracks this (as a risk factor and measure of stability), as do security clearances, etc. Your financial situation is a good indicator of how much you have your poo poo together. People with debt problems miss work because their car breaks down. They're stressed and less productive. Unmarried people without a mortgage are more likely to move with little notice or jump to an unstable company (like a startup).

These are all risk factors which are reasonable to track. To protect the company. Not to gently caress you over in salary negotiations.

But what does that have to do with "How did you pay for your college loans?", which was the original question? College debt isn't the sort of debt that will cause you to miss work or live an unstable life.
Plus, all a company needs to do is to run a quick credit check to get the answers on your debt situation.
Your hypothesis makes little to no sense.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mrit posted:

But what does that have to do with "How did you pay for your college loans?", which was the original question? College debt isn't the sort of debt that will cause you to miss work or live an unstable life.
Plus, all a company needs to do is to run a quick credit check to get the answers on your debt situation.
Your hypothesis makes little to no sense.

That isn't my hypothesis. That's my response to a different reply which isn't predicated on explaining why a company would ask that, but rather why a company may be interested in finances and what makes an "ideal employee"

My "hypothesis" (already stated in another post) is that Sickening's search probably yielded valid responses and it's an information gathering scheme without a real job, since there's no good reason to ask a candidate financial questions when you can just run a credit check if you're serious. And they're serious enough to give you a SSN.

Which, again, is not about finding desperate candidates who can be screwed. There's never a good reason to ask or answer that question, but I am asserting that, in a negative sense, evaluating every interaction with a current or prospective employer (or any company) like you've rubbed a lamp and summoned a djinn is extremely paranoid, conveys delusional levels of persecution, and violates Hanlon's razor.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Moey posted:

My coworkers have started using the following terms to describe time. Cycles and Bandwidth.

"I'll throw some cycles at it this week"
"I don't have enough bandwidth to get that done by Tuesday"

It boils my blood.

This doesn't seem any different than any other idioms.
"No money business in the server closet"
"Two day turnaround is par for the course"
"We cover everything from soup to nuts"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
loving printers.
loving Java.
loving printers that run Java as their "web" interface.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I just removed java from every single workstation except two. Feels good.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
So Amazon SQS is down in EU-West-1 today! Hooray!
Switched to another region, but god drat it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evobatman posted:

loving printers.
loving Java.
loving printers that run Java as their "web" interface.

Let me introduce you to a switch who doesn't have a command line interface, just a Java interface, that only works with IE6.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Bob Morales posted:

Let me introduce you to a switch who doesn't have a command line interface, just a Java interface, that only works with IE6.

"And this here is a special switch that -- oops! poo poo, I hope that drop didn't break it, because then we'd need to buy a different switch, since this one is irreplaceable."

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

"And this here is a special switch that -- oops! poo poo, I hope that drop didn't break it, because then we'd need to buy a different switch, since this one is irreplaceable."

"There is no budget. Fix it."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

"Accidentally" hook it up to 480V, then say the power supply just died and it's cheaper to get a new switch than to replace the psu.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

"Accidentally" hook it up to 480V, then say the power supply just died and it's cheaper to get a new switch than to replace the psu.

gently caress, dude, even just hooking up an Etherkiller would do it. Just say the PSU was so old it accidentally arced to the switch board or something and wait for your boss's brain to activate dummy mode.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
New virtual network appliance was re-released by the product team to managed cloud accounts... Without prior notice to the support floor.

...fully supported :shepface:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thing currently pissing me off:

Firefox installs. Apparently the actual .exe install is just a 7zip unpackage, and since I have 7zip files blocked my users can't install it.

I had to travel back to my office to use PDQ Deploy to silently push it to his desktop instead of just taking care of it on the spot.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got a call from an actual American recruiter this morning, and it started off normal enough - are you currently employed, who is your employer, supervisor's name, pay range, responsibilities - but then it veered sharply off course when he started asking me for my employment references. I asked him if there was a job he had in mind, but there wasn't. I caught on to his little scheme real fast and told him that if I provided him a list of references and he used them to try and scope some business leads then there would be hell to pay, followed shortly thereafter with me making his life as miserable as I possibly could. There was silence on the line for a few seconds before he gave a weak chuckle and thanked me for speaking with him and he would send me an email soon with his contact information.

Haven't seen anything from him, so I assume he decided to pass on talking to me again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday, my direct supervisor told the team (three of us) that he would be moving to another position in a different department. Bummer, because he's a really good, easy-going boss, but I'm happy for him. Today, the department manager told me he'd like me to move into the vacant position, and that I'd be hiring my replacement. Alright; I've never sought out supervisory roles but I think I'd be pretty good at it here, and I like it.

The problem came in, as things do, when I asked about my salary: no increase until September 2016. :what:

He has an (possibly somewhat valid) excuse. Bare in mind that this is at a university, with weird HR policies. A month ago they requested (and got approved) a significant (almost 20%) salary increase for me... however, due to bizarre HR policies, that doesn't even go into effect until September of this year. Even after that raise I'll still be hovering around the low-end of the market rate here for a typical desktop technician - which, I was going to be fine with, as I like my job and it was being given without any additional responsibilities. But for a management role?

To be more specific, this isn't just like a team lead thing. I'd be doing hiring, purchasing all technology equipment for a big (250+) department, handling escalations and a lot of other stuff.

I think I'm going to have to talk to him tomorrow and tell him the scheduled raise isn't really enough to me for a pretty significant increase in responsibility. If he hired someone off the street I'm sure they'd want at least 8k more than I'll be making in September.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a change of position so I'm not sure why your previously agreed/scheduled raise even has a bearing on it. That's irrelevant now as you aren't doing that job any more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The problem came in, as things do, when I asked about my salary: no increase until September 2016. :what:

How will your dept survive without a manager until sept 2016?!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yesterday, my direct supervisor told the team (three of us) that he would be moving to another position in a different department. Bummer, because he's a really good, easy-going boss, but I'm happy for him. Today, the department manager told me he'd like me to move into the vacant position, and that I'd be hiring my replacement. Alright; I've never sought out supervisory roles but I think I'd be pretty good at it here, and I like it.

He has an (possibly somewhat valid) excuse. Bare in mind that this is at a university, with weird HR policies. A month ago they requested (and got approved) a significant (almost 20%) salary increase for me... however, due to bizarre HR policies, that doesn't even go into effect until September of this year. Even after that raise I'll still be hovering around the low-end of the market rate here for a typical desktop technician - which, I was going to be fine with, as I like my job and it was being given without any additional responsibilities. But for a management role?

To be more specific, this isn't just like a team lead thing. I'd be doing hiring, purchasing all technology equipment for a big (250+) department, handling escalations and a lot of other stuff.

I think I'm going to have to talk to him tomorrow and tell him the scheduled raise isn't really enough to me for a pretty significant increase in responsibility. If he hired someone off the street I'm sure they'd want at least 8k more than I'll be making in September.

Tell them that you would be happy to accept the position and its responsibilities but not unless it comes with appropriate pay for that position.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I asked in IRC if Robert Half was still awful.

I want to tell y'all now that they still are. I had a recruiter schedule a phone interview for me earlier this week at 4pm. Never called.

Rescheduled today at 2pm. Never called.

So yes, they are still awful.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I asked in IRC if Robert Half was still awful.

I want to tell y'all now that they still are. I had a recruiter schedule a phone interview for me earlier this week at 4pm. Never called.

Rescheduled today at 2pm. Never called.

So yes, they are still awful.

Christ, indeed.ca is littered with their agency placement jobs.

I just wish it would tell me the actual company the position was for so I could apply direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

m.hache posted:

Thing currently pissing me off:

Firefox installs. Apparently the actual .exe install is just a 7zip unpackage, and since I have 7zip files blocked my users can't install it.

I had to travel back to my office to use PDQ Deploy to silently push it to his desktop instead of just taking care of it on the spot.

remote desktop into your office machine?