Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerusalem posted:

He just started wearing this so people had no choice but to accept it v:shobon:v

CJacobs posted:

To people reading this thread that don't know anything about Daredevil: No this is not a joke

To be fair, Iron Man has done like literally the exact same thing. "Everybody, I'm Iron Man!" "Okay I'm not Iron Man anymore you guys, somebody else stole my suit and is Iron Man now, or maybe its a robot. But TOTALLY NOT ME." followed by "okay yeah it was me again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, Iron Man has done like literally the exact same thing. "Everybody, I'm Iron Man!" "Okay I'm not Iron Man anymore you guys, somebody else stole my suit and is Iron Man now, or maybe its a robot. But TOTALLY NOT ME." followed by "okay yeah it was me again."

You forgot hey it was a teenager!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sassassin posted:

That's actually one of the best episodes because it's all about Foggy being furious that his blind friend isn't actually blind. He feels cheated and betrayed, and all Matt's excuses are just nonsense.

Honestly I thought Foggy was being a huge dick. They're good friends and it ends up your blind friend kinda has superpowers so he doesn't really need to see.

"YOU LIED TO ME! YOU SAID YOU COULDN'T SEE! WHICH IS IT?"

What a dick! The dude is still blind, he's just gotten really good at getting around it. That doesn't completely invalidate your sympathy. Also if your sympathy to your friend is so completely dependent upon him being handicapped, maybe something's hosed up about you.

Foggy completely ignores that maybe Murdock was uncomfortable about the subject and didn't want to talk about it. BAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU YOU'RE MY FRIEND I SHOULD KNOW EVERY INTIMATE DETAIL OF YOUR LIFE! :argh:

Calm down Foggy man. I get the outrage at finding out Murdock is the Masked Man, but I could have used more "this is a really stupid idea; you're a lawyer" and less "mah buddy! I'm betrayed! Oh woe is me"

They also do something I really hate in movies/film a lot, where a character doesn't explain himself or doesn't defend himself because ooooh it makes for such a dramatic scene, when in real life you absolutely would just explain yourself.

Why does Matt go "yeah I can see, sorry buddy" when Foggy pushes him? He should have responded with "NO I can't loving see, you dick, were you listening?"

This is now the Daredevil thread.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Apr 22, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They were roommates in college. Foggy thought Matt couldn't see, but he could see.

He could see everything. And hear. And smell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

They were roommates in college. Foggy thought Matt couldn't see, but he could see.

He could see everything. And hear. And smell.

:iamafag:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
In Mad Max 2 during the climactic chase sequence Max refers to a shotgun shell as a "bullet". Maybe he's dumbing it down for the Feral Kid but whatever. Irritating!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

In Mad Max 2 during the climactic chase sequence Max refers to a shotgun shell as a "bullet". Maybe he's dumbing it down for the Feral Kid but whatever. Irritating!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The wife got me to binge watch Arrow with her. It's not bad for a show aimed at teenagers, but I got irrationally hung up on the name of that super soldier serum they're always going on about. If you haven't seen the show, there's this drug that makes people super strong and fast. Whatever. But in the story it was made by Japanese scientists who named it "mirakuru" which is a fake loan-word of "miracle". Thing is, the very white characters keep pronouncing it "mee-rah-koo-roo". Its name is literally an English word. Why keep saying it like you are trying to emulate a Japanese accent? It's like if they were on a mission to recover the world's best Japanese burger and kept referring to it as "the hahn-bah-goo".

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

The wife got me to binge watch Arrow with her. It's not bad for a show aimed at teenagers, but I got irrationally hung up on the name of that super soldier serum they're always going on about. If you haven't seen the show, there's this drug that makes people super strong and fast. Whatever. But in the story it was made by Japanese scientists who named it "mirakuru" which is a fake loan-word of "miracle". Thing is, the very white characters keep pronouncing it "mee-rah-koo-roo". Its name is literally an English word. Why keep saying it like you are trying to emulate a Japanese accent? It's like if they were on a mission to recover the world's best Japanese burger and kept referring to it as "the hahn-bah-goo".

Never watched that far into Arrow, but it sounds like their trying to be clever and eventually segue into getting the characters to call it miraclo. I say trying, because like you said, they just sound silly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Nobody posted:

Never watched that far into Arrow, but it sounds like their trying to be clever and eventually segue into getting the characters to call it miraclo. I say trying, because like you said, they just sound silly.

Nope, it has nothing to do with Miraclo. That's just how they did it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well I mean if you consider the reverse, English has loan words from basically everything and the expectation is you pronounce it the "English" way so I don't see the problem of using the Japanese pronunciation of a Japanese word, once the word has been borrowed it becomes a part of that language. Even if the original word is kinda obvious.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I think the exaggerated pronunciation was probably deliberate, in order to make the name sound slightly less retarded.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well I mean if you consider the reverse, English has loan words from basically everything and the expectation is you pronounce it the "English" way so I don't see the problem of using the Japanese pronunciation of a Japanese word, once the word has been borrowed it becomes a part of that language. Even if the original word is kinda obvious.

I dunno, it's still kinda weird. First, "mirakuru" is not an actual word used in Japan - they have their own word for it. I know because I am a huge nerd and this thing was bothering me so much I looked it up. It's literally just an English word. Second, the real loan words that we have borrowed from other languages sound silly and a little offensive when you say them how they are pronounced in their home countries. Like "karaoke" is "kerry-OH-kee" here instead of "kah-rah-OH-kay".

Danger Mahoney has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It depends on the word. ka-ra-o-ke or ka-ra-te sound weird, but it always bugs me the way Americans tend to pronounce Kyoto as Ki-o-to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Danger Mahoney posted:

'Cause it would sound really dumb if they said "miracle". "Mirakuru" just sounds like a name, and the fake Japanese loan-word thing is just the in-universe explanation for the name.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Danger Mahoney posted:

First, "mirakuru" is not an actual word used in Japan - they have their own word for it.
Not just a :goonsay:, but wrong too - there are tons of cases in multiple languages where a foreign word is used in place of an existing "native" term, within a sentence otherwise comprised of "native" vocabulary, for varying reasons. To say it's not a "loanword" in the strictest sense of the term would be correct if pedantic; to say it is "not used in Japan" would not be.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Why would WWII Japanese military science dudes or whatever call it an English word to begin with is my question.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Guys, can't you just accept it's a brand name for some super soldier serum?

It's a loving made up word and can sound however it wants to sound what with it being a brand name?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Unobtainium

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

nexus6 posted:

Unobtainium

Adamantium

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nexus6 posted:

Unobtainium

Phlebotinum

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nexus6 posted:

Unobtainium

This word sends nerds into a rage and every time it happens it's hilarious.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Goontardium

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Light Gun Man posted:

Why would WWII Japanese military science dudes or whatever call it an English word to begin with is my question.

they lost the war for a reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Light Gun Man posted:

Lots of countries name poo poo in English. Maybe it sounds cooler or signifies internationality or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Lots of countries name poo poo in English. Maybe it sounds cooler or signifies internationality or something.

Yes but we're talking about WWII era Japan. German would make more sense at that point.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I'm watching the new Left Behind movie...

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Did you ever hear the story of the scorpion and the frog?

Yes every time I watch a "crime" movie somebody is bound to bring it up.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

Harton posted:

Hell yes, I am sick of that story. Years ago I tried watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager. Chakotay tells the entire story to Janeway - complete with Star Trek dramatic pauses. In his version it is the scorpion and the fox - Star Trek creativity!

The point of the story seems lost when it is a loving terrorist telling the ships captain not to trust the cyborgs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Harton posted:

Not as many times as I've heard what the Death tarot card actually stands for.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rolo posted:

So I'm watching the new Left Behind movie...

Good film

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not as many times as I've heard what the Death tarot card actually stands for.

"There's only supposed to be one in the pack..."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harton posted:

I didn't start hearing it all over the place until after Drive came out, but maybe that's because I wasn't looking for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't start hearing it all over the place until after Drive came out, but maybe that's because I wasn't looking for it.

I get this about certain words all the time, its funny. Like the word "speakeasy", I swear nobody used that word and then I heard about it related to prohibition and suddenly every TV show I was watching mentioned speakeasies for some weird reason.

I can't think of the others right now but there was some other word I just ran into that with, a word that people don't use commonly but it suddenly popped up all over the media. I guess the writers probably watch each others' shows and pick up the same vocabulary or appreciate the same linguistics. :shrug:

Whats been bothering me lately are lists that don't use the word 'and'. I'm not even sure if its grammatically incorrect, its probably fine by the rules of English or whatever (who cares anyways) but it sounds so stupid, like they were making up a longer list and just ran out of ideas. I'm pretty sure I saw this on both Law and Order and Daredevil recently, and other places too.

Like "I'm going to the store to get some things: Eggs, cheese." It feels like they're saying "eggs, cheese, ...." and then just never finish the thought. I think lists with 2 things are probably the worst because you could just say "eggs and cheese" and it'd sound pretty natural. There's no reason to even make it a list at that point.

It still bothers me with more things in the list though.

Its like the verbal version of the oxford comma :cheeky:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I get this about certain words all the time, its funny. Like the word "speakeasy", I swear nobody used that word and then I heard about it related to prohibition and suddenly every TV show I was watching mentioned speakeasies for some weird reason.
That's called frequency illusion :eng101:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In the version of outlook that I use, I sent an email to two people. I typed it like "xxx@aol.com, yyy@aol.com"

Cmon outlook, you can clearly see what Im trying to do here. I dont care about the proper usage of semicolons!

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
That's usually referred to as the Baader Meinhoff phenomenon. When you finally learn about a thing or concept and then start taking notice of mentions or references to it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mister Nobody posted:

That's usually referred to as the Baader Meinhoff phenomenon. When you finally learn about a thing or concept and then start taking notice of mentions or references to it.

Or confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's called frequency illusion :eng101:

Mister Nobody posted:

Yeah, I knew was some kind of psychological bias but I didn't know the name. And like most of psychology looks like there's several! :cheeky: