Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaz-L posted:

They're all wearing regular clothes. Thus, to get the bat-ear: Hoodie. And the backpack... um... thing.

Is that what's going on? Everybody else I look at and go, "Oh, ok, that looks at the very least reasonable" and then I get to Batgirl and just can't parse what's going on there. It might help if the hood was forward a bit more, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

So something cool is happening: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

They all look like Disney Princesses, but I applaud DC for FINALLY expanding its reach to young girls.

The best part? /co/ is already freaking out about this. :mmmhmm:
I'm a 35 yr old grown-rear end man, and that is already more interesting to me than most of what DC's been putting out. Those Disney Eyes are a bit disconcerting, though.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really enjoyed the Justice League Detroit issue today. Is that era worth looking into at all?
Here's the thing--it's the Justice League, but at what has to be it's lowest point in all of Justice Leauging. They're set up in a basement on the shores of the Detroit River for god's sake, Zatanna wears a lobster on her head, and Aquaman is in charge. This is like the complete, polar, magnetic opposite of Morrison's Big Seven. It's an oddity, but I sort of love it. There's a good Retroactive issue that came out in the recent past you might want to check out. Otherwise, start with Justice League of America Annual #2 and then it's JLoA #233–261.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 23, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Equeen posted:

So something cool is happening: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

They all look like Disney Princesses, but I applaud DC for FINALLY expanding its reach to young girls.

Shameful. Where is Amethyst, princess of Gemworld DC? You're already messing this up!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Swamp thing was okay, I just like Swampy though so maybe I'm biased.

The whole issue was a bit weirdly paced but apart from that I liked it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Apart from the art, it was pretty repetitive with Abby just checking in on him hiding out every couple of pages.
Legion and JLA were definitely my favorites.

e: Next week's Crime Syndicate preview
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-convergence-crime-syndicate-1/1100-152068/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 23, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Equeen posted:

I feel like this is going to go badly, simply because Harly and Ivy are there, for no god damned reason other then people might know them. Seriously, there are a couple dozen good female heroes out there you could have effortlessly jammed in there, like Amethyst (thanks Choc), Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Starfire, Raven, Huntress, and if they needed diversity so they couldn't throw in those previously mentioned, they could have thrown in that one lady from JLU that phases through walls and looks like Esmerelda (what is her name), Renee Question, or Vixen. DC needs to use them more instead of relying on Wonder Woman and the adjectivemangirl/woman.

If this ends up in a line of decent action figures for girls, and that's what they're going for, all the power to them. Hopefully the girls will like playing with them and enjoy something that isn't Barbie, a multi-colored animal, or a sad reminder of what a bunch of old white guys think they should be doing in the future. But it just looks like a lovely, half planned out cash grab.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

fatherboxx posted:

Just read Sinestro Corps War, it is the only good part.

nah everything Johns did with Sinestro is the best part

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hal Jordan being a pathetic loser while Sinestro makes fun of him for those early issues of the new 52 relaunch was by far the best part.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Anora posted:

I feel like this is going to go badly, simply because Harly and Ivy are there, for no god damned reason other then people might know them. Seriously, there are a couple dozen good female heroes out there you could have effortlessly jammed in there, like Amethyst (thanks Choc), Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Starfire, Raven, Huntress, and if they needed diversity so they couldn't throw in those previously mentioned, they could have thrown in that one lady from JLU that phases through walls and looks like Esmerelda (what is her name), Renee Question, or Vixen. DC needs to use them more instead of relying on Wonder Woman and the adjectivemangirl/woman.

If this ends up in a line of decent action figures for girls, and that's what they're going for, all the power to them. Hopefully the girls will like playing with them and enjoy something that isn't Barbie, a multi-colored animal, or a sad reminder of what a bunch of old white guys think they should be doing in the future. But it just looks like a lovely, half planned out cash grab.

Johns on Twitter said there will be much more characters coming, so we just have to wait a bit.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 23, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Batgirl is such a weird mishmash. Just give 'em Babs Tarr's. Yellow Doc Martins we keep, but gently caress a cape.

All those kids should be buying Gotham Academy :mad:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's nice to see a Harley Quinn design that isn't vomit-inducingly bad, to be honest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There was a short Amethyst cartoon in the DC Nation Shorts. It's... alright, I guess? The Prince as a skeleton is kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Hal Jordan being a pathetic loser while Sinestro makes fun of him for those early issues of the new 52 relaunch was by far the best part.

Hal getting "killed" like 3 issues on was the best start to the New52.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like Wonder Woman should have been an adult. It's a little weird that she's the same age as Harley and Batgirl and stuff. She could have been like the cool homeroom teacher that keeps the rest of them in line, since I guess this is like a high school AU basically.

Roller Derby Harley is a pretty good design, imo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Her calling herself Woman while the other two are __girl could make for jokes :shrug:

e: Jill Thompson is writing and drawing a Wonder Woman OGN
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/22/jill-thompson-wants-you-to-know-that-wonder-woman-the-very-selfish-princess-is-all-her/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I feel like Wonder Woman should have been an adult. It's a little weird that she's the same age as Harley and Batgirl and stuff. She could have been like the cool homeroom teacher that keeps the rest of them in line, since I guess this is like a high school AU basically.

Roller Derby Harley is a pretty good design, imo.

There were a couple of pretty solid stories in Sensation Comics recently that have Diana as a teen. For this lighter-seeming tone it's a very viable route.

I also feel like they skipped Catwoman in this first wave because she's harder to parse in a kid-friendly, positive, no-parents-group-objections way. Harley can just be the ditzy clown, Ivy can be 'environmentalist' without the murder-y elements, but Selina's things to the public at large are 'thief/criminal' and 'sexy'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So what's Hawkgirl? Just an rear end in a top hat?

(I like the thing, though)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

There were a couple of pretty solid stories in Sensation Comics recently that have Diana as a teen. For this lighter-seeming tone it's a very viable route.

I also feel like they skipped Catwoman in this first wave because she's harder to parse in a kid-friendly, positive, no-parents-group-objections way. Harley can just be the ditzy clown, Ivy can be 'environmentalist' without the murder-y elements, but Selina's things to the public at large are 'thief/criminal' and 'sexy'.

Selina's thing to the public is "criminal", but Harley's isn't?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Selina's thing to the public is "criminal", but Harley's isn't?
Selina also hasn't killed a whole bunch of children.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can't sell a pretty lady who loves cats to 6-12 year old girls you done hosed up somewhere.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
A lot more characters to come apparently.

Honestly I think the whole thing is smart. I can only imagine how many parents these days still heavily enforce the whole boy/girl divide when it comes to toys and entertainment and how many times a parent has told their daughter "No." when she wanted something superhero related. I mean obviously the ideal would be to break that mindset, but making a convincing girls line is a good stopgap in the meantime.

Also the whole Harley/Ivy thing is just symptomatic of DC and Marvel's entire approach of their entire cast of characters being simultaneously for children and for adults. I mean is it really all that different than Punisher showing up in Super Hero Squad or whatever?

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 23, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Not to mention Harley and Ivy have always been very popular since the BTAS days when they teamed up. I remember wanting toys of them both as a kid, even if I was aware they were villains. Kids are smarter than you think about this sort of stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

All those kids should be buying Gotham Academy :mad:

Minute the trade comes out I am buying both my nieces a copy.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I still don't understand why in 2015 things have to be labeled "for boys" and "for girls". Why ostracize half your market by saying "THIS ISN'T FOR YOU"? Just have different action figure lines and have the kid buy whichever they find appealing.

I showed this to my wife, who has long criticized women in comics, and she approves of the costume design, but hates the Disney-face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's like affirmative action. In theory, Big Two comics should appeal to everyone. In practice, unless you put people in charge of making stuff specifically to appeal to women, it's mysteriously only going to appeal to 13 year old boys. Or, I suppose, 35 year old boys, now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Brocktoon posted:

I still don't understand why in 2015 things have to be labeled "for boys" and "for girls". Why ostracize half your market by saying "THIS ISN'T FOR YOU"? Just have different action figure lines and have the kid buy whichever they find appealing.

Because yes, parents will refuse to buy their girls " boy" toys and vice versa. It is definitely still a thing in 2015.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Subdividing and focusing markets actually increases profit in the short/mid term and by god if it increases immediate income it is the greatest good.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's like affirmative action. In theory, Big Two comics should appeal to everyone. In practice, unless you put people in charge of making stuff specifically to appeal to women, it's mysteriously only going to appeal to 13 year old boys. Or, I suppose, 35 year old boys, now.

I think part of that is because the people "old enough" to write for DC, are the guys who grew up reading comics back when boy and girl was still a huge divide. Only really recently with stuff like Adventure Time, My Little Pony, and Avatar have bigger networks been kicked in the teeth with the fact that the intended audience might not be the only one that attaches to the brand. Which I think all boils down to demographics or something, "why target all markets, when we can just try to dry hump one to death?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

but Selina's things to the public at large are 'thief/criminal' and 'sexy'.

Selina's thing for a long time now has been "do not gently caress with those who are less privileged than you" and that's a cool thing to teach kids.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gaz-L posted:

Weirdly, it's an advantage DC have on Marvel, because WB want the girls' market, whereas Disney consider Marvel a boys-only product because that's why they bought it (they figure they have girls tied up with the Princess and Fairy lines anyway)

I also like how it's a bunch of white chicks that everyone knows, and then it's super-obvious someone mentioned it at the pitch meeting and the rest of the table went: "Um... er... Katana's Japanese! And er... uh.... well... Bumblebee! She's black!"

Disney may have thought that when they bought Marvel. But it seems like internally Marvel is doing a lot to push into the comic reading woman market with women writers, artists, and executives in the company.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Semper Fudge posted:

Also the whole Harley/Ivy thing is just symptomatic of DC and Marvel's entire approach of their entire cast of characters being simultaneously for children and for adults. I mean is it really all that different than Punisher showing up in Super Hero Squad or whatever?

I love that stupid kids show and I love that episode specifically.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Does anyone actually like Convergence?

If so, why? I am reading this stuff and I don't see why anyone would find it compelling. Could you explain what you like about it?

I mean I REALLY liked Batman Eternal and Future's End. This is very anticlimactic for me, as a reader. Maybe if they didn't make every week's stories about the same set of worlds.

bad day fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 24, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not liking "Convergence" much. It's a horribly written, bad comic so far, but I'm enjoying quite a few of the minis. There's good work peppered in there.
I don't I have a lot of genuine 'I was there' nostalgia for much of it, but I do enjoy DC history. I'm having some amount of fun with the event.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 24, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just want Batman 40 to come out, honestly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I just want Batman 40 to come out, honestly

Invoiced for next week.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
If they wanted a company-wide crossover, they should have done it for the Darkseid/Anti-Monitor War. Cause THAT's what I'm really looking forward to.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DudeDeuce posted:

If they wanted a company-wide crossover, they should have done it for the Darkseid/Anti-Monitor War. Cause THAT's what I'm really looking forward to.

I'm looking forward too it too, but BOY is it refreshing that that's confined to one comic (so far.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The minis are what DC knows people care about the most anyway, so it's no surprise the main book is poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A lot of the minis are kinda poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Since I liked a lot the N52 version of E2 and its heroes, I've been enjoying greatly the main series.

On the other hand, I don't care for a lot of the minis and the ones I've been interested have been either incredibly bland or mediocre. The only one I've liked is the Superman one from week 1 and even then, I couldn't stop complaining about the poor explanation they used to put Superman on Gotham.

• Locked thread