Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Wall mounted my TV since it was a lot cheaper and easier than finding a tv stand that wasn't ugly garbage. Now I need to figure out what to get or build to hold my receiver and center channel. Probably build since I can't find anything that is the right dimensions and the few things I've found that are almost close enough are expensive garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Speaking of TV's, moved into my new house and unpacked my new 65"

God damnit. I knew I should have opened it before the freight guy left when I saw the box was looking a little haggard.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Grown ups wall mount their tv's. And most tv stands at BL are indeed particle board garbage.

That's what I'm going to do. Wall mount and other goodies on order. Shopping for a nice base to put my receiver and such in.

Anyone have experience with the wireless transmitters for subwoofers?

opengl128 posted:

Speaking of TV's, moved into my new house and unpacked my new 65"

God damnit. I knew I should have opened it before the freight guy left when I saw the box was looking a little haggard.

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, dude. That sucks. What kind of recourse do you have? Did you buy thru Amazon?

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 23, 2015

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Tide posted:

Yeah, i did. Not big enough for the tv i have (a 60") or the one i plan to buy within a couple years (80"). I like them, but they're too "modern" for the wife. If I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust didn't hang new dry wall and such in this room, I wouldn't be opposed to just mounting it directly to the wall.

But, as the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Previous apartment had two external brick walls as the walls in the TV room where you'd want a TV to mount; got something similar to this and parked a credenza over the base. Mine is black and didn't come with wheels like that, though; that was just the cheapest one I could find on amazon at the moment. That way, you can make the base cabinet look as traditional or vintage as you want, because you get to pick it yourself. Surely you can come to an accommodation with your spouse that way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn I'm glad to be back at the Hut. 4 1/2 hours, $52 in tips. Opening tomorrow and working until 4, I should make about the same.

I already know what my final check from Jet's will be - not much ($251), I'll have to abuse the 15 day grace period on my car loan again, but it'll be enough to get Verizon and my car insurance to get off my back for a bit.

General_Failure posted:

Can I say I'm not fond of the idea of active and neutral hanging so close together in a switch of that design.

Wait, it switched neutral as well as hot? :stonk: I've never seen that.

Tide posted:

That's what I'm going to do. Wall mount and other goodies on order. Shopping for a nice base to put my receiver and such in.

Anyone have experience with the wireless transmitters for subwoofers?

No experience with the transmitters, but I'd really suggest getting a recessed power outlet to stick behind the TV, and run all the other wires (which, if you're using a receiver, should be just a single HDMI cable and some speaker wires) through the wall. I'm getting ready to do all of that, I'll be sticking a wall plate behind my desk with an HDMI jack and L/R/center speaker connectors. So much neater.

My subwoofer just sits under the bed, though my mancave is also my bedroom. :smith:

meatpimp posted:

I've never used Roku, but heard good things about them.

Another option is a Sony Bluray player. New less than the Roku, refurb at Amazon less than $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS1200-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00TRADGKA

I use one and it's been very solid, fairly quick and the interface is easy to use.

I've owned a Sony Bluray player before, and currently have a Roku 1 (current gen, I think).

The Roku has a lot more options, but the Sony was a bit easier to use out of the box. The Roku can stream from my Plex server, which is what really counts around here. :colbert: The Sony could, but truncated filenames, and was super picky about video formats.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's not one thing breaking, it's another.

Ice maker (under cabinet GE Monogram) is down again. It gets plenty cold, it makes plenty of sheets of ice, but the cutting grid isn't getting power - so the sheets pile up on top of each other until one can't release, then all the water pours out and I wake up to the gurgling of a starving water pump. When I left today it was completely full of ice; thanks to all the water pouring out between cycles, it has about 3 cups of ice in it, and it keeps shutting itself down because there's too much water in the ice basin (it has a float in the drain that shuts it down completely and runs the drain pump nonstop until the water level is low enough).

Found a broken wire on the grid, I'm REALLY hoping I can fix it myself. If not, I get to track down a grid for a 15 year old ice maker. Thankfully one that wasn't changed much over the years and is actually still in production with minor changes. Or I figure out what kind of wire it uses and re-wire the grid myself (I don't want to do that).

It needs a good teardown and cleaning anyway, there's a bit of mold growing in the back. Thankfully it's a very serviceable machine, with full schematics and teardown diagrams easily available, and parts are still available.

e: lesson learned from T-Mobile, never use their phone support, always hit them up on Twitter. They've sent some kind of update to my SIM card, which rebooted my phone (now it's stuck on the good old "Android is optimizing app 1 of 100005042504390" bit), and said if that doesn't get texting working again, they'll send a new SIM card. Their social media support is (mostly) US based, while prepaid account support is mostly based in India. Nothing against overseas support, but I definitely got the brush off last time I talked to them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 23, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: This is Spinal Tap on netflix :siren:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's been on Netflix for months bro, where have you been? :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, grow up and buy real furniture.

Rhyno posted:

Grown ups wall mount their tv's. And most tv stands at BL are indeed particle board garbage.

Somebody thinks himself a grown up. Listen to him, kiddies.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God I hate TV stands. But I rent, so I don't exactly want to make holes in his walls. The dining room is already hosed up enough from the ping pong table.

I did all the AV for my cousin's new condo recently. The new Comcast Xfinity boxes use RF so I mounted all the cable boxes in their basement. Trying to convince my pops to install in-wall speakers and a wall-mount with his next TV purchase.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

What are some good summer tires in the $150/each range? I have a $250 gift card to Sears Auto but they don't even stock 215/45/18's so they have to special order them anyways.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sumitomo HTR ZIII? They're the cheapest max performance summer tire in most sizes on tire rack, I've had them on both my nice cars for the last couple years and I've liked them.

There are better tires, but I don't think you can beat them for the price.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bajaha posted:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII? They're the cheapest max performance summer tire in most sizes on tire rack, I've had them on both my nice cars for the last couple years and I've liked them.

I use them on my s2000, no complaints here. All the reviews were great and they were cheap as far as tired that I can use go

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What are some good summer tires in the $150/each range? I have a $250 gift card to Sears Auto but they don't even stock 215/45/18's so they have to special order them anyways.

My beemer calls for that size (I think) on one axle for the summer wheels, and it's the weirdest, narrowest selection. Go to 225 (if feasible) and your selection will likely multiply.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

Those things will take an incredible amount of abuse, good tire. Also check out the Dunlop Direzza (Star Spec) ZII, run them on the race car and all the fun cars.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The new Comcast Xfinity boxes use RF so I mounted all the cable boxes in their basement.

I feel like I should know what RF stands for but I am drawing a blank. If it's some sort of wireless then that's interesting because the fucknut at Comcast I spoke to the other day said they don't have wireless receivers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Cage posted:

None of the three I listed were particle board.
HTH.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

bolind posted:

My beemer calls for that size (I think) on one axle for the summer wheels, and it's the weirdest, narrowest selection. Go to 225 (if feasible) and your selection will likely multiply.

My front tires already rub with my lowering kit, so I'm afraid to go any bigger. The tire selection for this size wheel sucks!

Tide posted:

I feel like I should know what RF stands for but I am drawing a blank. If it's some sort of wireless then that's interesting because the fucknut at Comcast I spoke to the other day said they don't have wireless receivers.

Radio Frequency

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tide posted:

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, dude. That sucks. What kind of recourse do you have? Did you buy thru Amazon?

Luckily the company I bought it from is handling it really well. They are sending a replacement out no questions asked, and will pick this one up at the same time. I could easily have seen them giving me a hard time about it or making me file a claim or something, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

opengl128 posted:

Luckily the company I bought it from is handling it really well. They are sending a replacement out no questions asked, and will pick this one up at the same time. I could easily have seen them giving me a hard time about it or making me file a claim or something, so it was a pleasant surprise.

That's awesome. Who is it? I may buy a TV from them if this is how they treat customers.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Radio Frequency

Ah. So basically, you can put the receiver pretty much where ever you want and the remote will still work?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For what it's worth, I bought a TV from Newegg and it arrived with a giant crack. They shipped a replacement no questions asked and picked up the old one.

My friend who I bought it for was less understanding.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God I hate TV stands. But I rent, so I don't exactly want to make holes in his walls.

Being a renter is a reason TO put holes in the walls. Why on earth would you put holes in your own walls?

We are renters and we wall-mounted our TV, built a work bench into the dining room, and had a fish tank hanging on the wall for a while. I don't see any reason it'll cause any issues as long as I patch and paint before I leave.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Astonishing Wang posted:

Being a renter is a reason TO put holes in the walls. Why on earth would you put holes in your own walls?

We are renters and we wall-mounted our TV, built a work bench into the dining room, and had a fish tank hanging on the wall for a while. I don't see any reason it'll cause any issues as long as I patch and paint before I leave.

I got veto'd by my other roommates anyways. They rather hook up a NES and hang a tapestry in the living room like a lovely freshman college dorm room.

Also currently eating a taco pizza with avocados, steak, jalepenos and Cool Ranch Doritos.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tide posted:

If I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust didn't hang new dry wall and such in this room, I wouldn't be opposed to just mounting it directly to the wall.

But, as the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Come on dude, patching drywall is even easier than hanging drywall. I had 4" square holes in my drywall when I moved in, and with that spray texture from home depot you can't find the patches at all unless you hold a flashlight against the wall to show where there's a slight lump.

Just mount it the right way, you'll never look at that patch of drywall again, because there will be a TV in front of it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I knooooooooooow, I know. And i'm pretty good at hot patches. And the likelyhood of needing to move it any time soon is so low it's not even worth taking into consideration. Anyway, wall mount and all the other goods will be here tomorrow so will be mounting it this weekend.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress

Left my loving keys in my wife's car, and only realized it as she was going down the driveway. I ran down the street waving at her but she didn't see me, she also didn't answer her phone until she got to work so I had to walk to work today and now I look at the weather report and it's supposed to rain.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My TMO Galaxy S4 has been increasingly unable to find it's SIM card randomly. Well, those bouts have gotten more and more frequent. In desperation, I flashed a rooted stock ROM. Storage encryption came up and then decided it couldn't see the SIM anymore. I'm done.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MustardFacial posted:

gently caress

Left my loving keys in my wife's car, and only realized it as she was going down the driveway. I ran down the street waving at her but she didn't see me, she also didn't answer her phone until she got to work so I had to walk to work today and now I look at the weather report and it's supposed to rain.

That sucks, tell your wife she should check her mirrors more often :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wrar posted:

My TMO Galaxy S4 has been increasingly unable to find it's SIM card randomly. Well, those bouts have gotten more and more frequent. In desperation, I flashed a rooted stock ROM. Storage encryption came up and then decided it couldn't see the SIM anymore. I'm done.

This was a known issue and you're likely hosed - the problem is the connector on the main board for the SIM/SD tray doesn't make a good connection. You could try gluing a small piece of an old credit card on top of the ribbon cable to try to add more pressure to keep it seated but this just delayed the inevitable when it happened to my wife's phone.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Terrible Robot posted:

That sucks, tell your wife she should check her mirrors more often :v:

I had plans to go get fitted for a motorcycle helmet today as well. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MustardFacial posted:

I had plans to go get fitted for a motorcycle helmet today as well. :(
Well, that'll keep the rain off your head, at least.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Geoj posted:

This was a known issue and you're likely hosed - the problem is the connector on the main board for the SIM/SD tray doesn't make a good connection. You could try gluing a small piece of an old credit card on top of the ribbon cable to try to add more pressure to keep it seated but this just delayed the inevitable when it happened to my wife's phone.
I figured. I'm just gonna rock a Nokia Lumia 635 for a while until I can figure out what I want, because I'm not buying a S6 and Samsung is sadly making far and away the best Android phone at the moment.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're willing to look at a phablet, check out the nexus 6.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mariooncrack posted:

If you're willing to look at a phablet, check out the nexus 6.

That trend is driving me batty. I wear size large gloves, if my thumb can't reach all the way across a phone's screen while holding it comfortably, IT'S TOO loving LARGE. It's at the point where I'm not going to be able to keep up with current mobile technology without lugging a surfboard-sized "phone" around with me.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
I love my Oneplus One, but if you buy one, you just have to be sure to get the (black) 64 gig version, as it has no sd slot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sir Pukesalot posted:

you just have to be sure to get the (black) 64 gig version, as it has no sd slot.

Why would you want a phone without expandable memory?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Geoj posted:

Why would you want a phone without expandable memory?

because it is very cheap for what it is and you won't need extra memory for a very long time, since it is just an android phone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Oh, I misread your post - I thought you were saying only the black/64 GB version doesn't have external SD.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Geoj posted:

Oh, I misread your post - I thought you were saying only the black/64 GB version doesn't have external SD.

Ahh... I just re-read my post, and i see how it could be easily misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Wait, it switched neutral as well as hot? :stonk: I've never seen that.

Yup. Only other place I've seen that is inline lamp switches like I said earlier which actually does make sense to me. Maybe they applied the same logic to the caravan wiring. I don't know.

Totally different phone but my Samsung Galaxy Pocket kept randomly losing the SIM card and corrupting the SD card. I wrote it off and replaced it. Later on I retried it with a slower SD card and it stopped flipping out. I'm actually considering swapping back to that phone again solely because I keep missing calls on the Motorola because I either don't hear them or ??? happens when I try to answer and the call drops out. Also for some reason it loses signal in my pocket.

• Locked thread