Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They never want to ally with me. :saddowns:

...To the point that I usually wind up seriously considering hitting their eastern flank, but then Everything Goes Wrong (usually because Timurids).

Get a level 1 diplomat, start cranking up your relations with QQ, and get them above 100 relations (you may need to bribe them too). They lose their hostile relations to you and go to neutral at that point.

Shahanshah was fun, but This Is Persia is daunting and unfun at this point. Ottomans dumped me, so I made friends with Russia and we steamrolled the Ottomans together. Then Russia betrayed me and invaded me over a non-bordering province (why the gently caress are you allowed to claim poo poo across the long end of the Caspian Sea from you?) which they didn't even take in the peace deal, opting to 100% occupy me, give me a ton of WE, and then get me to un-vassalize Khiva and Syria, which I had just grabbed from the Ottomans. I'm now rivaled by Ottomans, which has made up all the ground they lost in my prior glorious conquest, massive dick Russia, and massive dick Commonwealth, which has the entirety of the Caucasus and much of western Russia as well. Maybe I'll go into India a bit and get westernized first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Any tips on playing as Morocco? I wanted to do an exploration run as them but Spain/Portugal keep DoWing and eventually overrun me. It's not really feasible to take out both their navies and I can usually hold them off for a bit but they eventually manage to get enough troops down there to stack wipe me. I don't remember having anywhere near this much trouble the last time I played as Morocco.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

aeglus posted:

Any tips on playing as Morocco? I wanted to do an exploration run as them but Spain/Portugal keep DoWing and eventually overrun me. It's not really feasible to take out both their navies and I can usually hold them off for a bit but they eventually manage to get enough troops down there to stack wipe me. I don't remember having anywhere near this much trouble the last time I played as Morocco.

You have some amazing mountains to defend in, also muslims can use charge cavalry at the start of the game that has 2 pips of offensive shock vs the 1 pip Western cav have.

When you go to war hold the bulk of your forces behind Fez or another nearby mountain and use a smaller stack of infantry to try to bait an attack on the defensive province and move in.

My advice would be to go on the offensive and get Portugal off the continent and to give up its cores. Time is your enemy but you can potentially afford to wait for Castille to be at war with Aragon (this happens about ~30% of the time within just a few years, usually over Navarra.)

As far as navy goes, Portugal starts out with a decent one but if you can lure it into the med a decent stack of galleys can still sink it after a few attempts, so try to ally other north african states so that you can have friendly ports in the med to repair in.

It shouldn't be impossible to drag the Ottos into a war in Iberia, I've seen them intervene on Granada's behalf when they claim defender of the faith and they usually pick up at least 1 north african ally. They usually dont land troops in Iberia but they have one of the best fleets in the Med so that should still be a big help.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

beefart posted:

Get a level 1 diplomat, start cranking up your relations with QQ, and get them above 100 relations (you may need to bribe them too). They lose their hostile relations to you and go to neutral at that point.

Shahanshah was fun, but This Is Persia is daunting and unfun at this point. Ottomans dumped me, so I made friends with Russia and we steamrolled the Ottomans together. Then Russia betrayed me and invaded me over a non-bordering province (why the gently caress are you allowed to claim poo poo across the long end of the Caspian Sea from you?) which they didn't even take in the peace deal, opting to 100% occupy me, give me a ton of WE, and then get me to un-vassalize Khiva and Syria, which I had just grabbed from the Ottomans. I'm now rivaled by Ottomans, which has made up all the ground they lost in my prior glorious conquest, massive dick Russia, and massive dick Commonwealth, which has the entirety of the Caucasus and much of western Russia as well. Maybe I'll go into India a bit and get westernized first.

I might just be a dumb boring jerk about This Is Persia and get a jump by starting with Timmy, after pulling off Shahanshah at a much later gamedate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

aeglus posted:

Last time I tried I just built a stupid amount of galleys and mothballed them until I was ready to DoW Castille or Portugal, then I successfully fought them both and took their Atlantic islands, leaving Portugal with its one North African province (to take at a later date).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wow, that's how you lose as France. Make two peace deals back-to-back, get over 100 aggressive expansion with everyone in Europe, and have everyone from Savoy to Poland instantly coalition you. Got a little too big for my britches there.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Prop Wash posted:

Wow, that's how you lose as France. Make two peace deals back-to-back, get over 100 aggressive expansion with everyone in Europe, and have everyone from Savoy to Poland instantly coalition you. Got a little too big for my britches there.

You'll lose a war or maybe two but really the worst thing that can happen to you is status quo antebellum as France.
Before your peace deals, that is. The blob finds a way.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Oceanbound posted:

By this point you've probably already won the game so not sure why you need advice.

Just not sure which ideas would offer the biggest bang of the buck. You're right though, I've probably already won :-S

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I haven't done an England playthrough yet.

Any advice for a good start in this current patch? Is it still possible to win the HYW? I remember various tips and tricks (building cogs on day 1, etc.) but I think they're out of date?

e: Good idea. I'll wait for Parliament Patch!

alcaras fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 23, 2015

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Very possible. You can either cheese it by trapping french troops in portugal (get access through castille then cancel it once france has chased you into porugal) or not (bait them into attacking you into the pyrenees then reinforce, repeat ad nauseum).

You may want to hold off until parilament mechanics though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Dev Diary that Johan posted at 4am for some reason :iiam:

Nothing big but a few new nifty features, retiring advisors seems like a big deal and I hope that it has a hefty cooldown. There are also some more map changes visible:

Nassau exists possibly as a Hessian vassal?

I think there's a new province in Savoy underneath the HRE window; you can see the border to the bottom left of Vaud.

Liege split into 2 provinces.

More provinces in the Bavaria region and Memmingen exists but we already know about that. What was (and still is?) Konstanz province also seems to be its own tag now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:monocle:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

RabidWeasel posted:

Cool, I'll have to do another Austria run when the next patch comes.

On the provinces change, it looks like Provence got split into two.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Provence looks the same to me, but Cleves is split in two.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mountaineer posted:

Cool, I'll have to do another Austria run when the next patch comes.

On the provinces change, it looks like Provence got split into two.

Likewise Berg/Cleves

efb but Provence is definitely split. Used to wrap all the way around from Avignon's 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any chance that the "Luck" mechanic gets thrown overboard altogether, or just reserved for some harder difficulty mode?

It can very well my own stupidity at this game, but the overall bonuses across the board for lucky nations is rough - particularly as of late that the AI has been improved significantly. Unless I am playing with one of the really big ones (my only ironman game to the finish was with the ottomans), poo poo gets real and hard really fast.

Of course, I don't have to play with luck turned on, so this is more curiosity than anything.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sharzak posted:

You'll lose a war or maybe two but really the worst thing that can happen to you is status quo antebellum as France.
Before your peace deals, that is. The blob finds a way.

Yeah, the first coalition only managed to make me free a couple crappy vassals. Unfortunately the second coalition, which formed because the first coalition declared war too soon, declared on me right after the peace deal.

But it's ok, I restarted and I'm doing fine this time. Someone suggested I use my HYW warscore to make England release Cornwall and that made the second war really work out for me, since I was able to pre-position troops on the island.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Spending money to retire advisors sounds like it caters too much to big/trading nations and doesn't provide any equivalent mechanic for smaller nations to keep pace, so I hope that gets looked at.

While we're on the topic of pausing Westernization, the capability to pause annexation would be nice as well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So thinking about ahistorical mods, it would be interesting to see a Green Antarctica style mod with an "evil" nation that appears when other nations explore far enough, and that targets high-technology nations specifically for invasions. Has anybody done anything like that?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I might just be a dumb boring jerk about This Is Persia and get a jump by starting with Timmy, after pulling off Shahanshah at a much later gamedate.

Yeah I guess rushing at the start as Timurids is the way to go. All that 1650-1820 has in store for Tabarestan -> Persia is getting cyclicly hosed in the rear end by Ottomans and Russia. Even at tech parity with full quantity/offensive they completely overwhelm me after a while, unless I get lucky and some other opportunist declares war on one of them.

Seriously Russia, the Great Game isn't for another 200 years, you don't need to conquer all the way down to Hormuz. Why can't we just be friends and break the Ottomans together? :saddowns:

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Transmetropolitan posted:

Any chance that the "Luck" mechanic gets thrown overboard altogether, or just reserved for some harder difficulty mode?

It can very well my own stupidity at this game, but the overall bonuses across the board for lucky nations is rough - particularly as of late that the AI has been improved significantly. Unless I am playing with one of the really big ones (my only ironman game to the finish was with the ottomans), poo poo gets real and hard really fast.

Of course, I don't have to play with luck turned on, so this is more curiosity than anything.

It's not prohibitively difficult to overcome a lucky nation. The AI is probably never going to be good enough to out-strategy the player if you really buckle down and try to out-maneuver your enemies during a war (this will probably get even more true after the next patch, as I imagine forts will change war and combat quite a bit).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The best counter for a lucky nation is still to bring another one with you. Spain, Austria, Burgundy, France, Russia - all of them can counter each other.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sheep posted:

Spending money to retire advisors sounds like it caters too much to big/trading nations and doesn't provide any equivalent mechanic for smaller nations to keep pace, so I hope that gets looked at.

It'll still be nice for those cases where you can only afford the ~1d monthly fee for a one star advisor, but have only 2-3 star advisors available. A one time fee to get rid of them should be quite useful, since it's easy enough to take ducats from your neighbours.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

RabidWeasel posted:

With the recent changes to Memel and the fact that Johan took over posting the diaries, I'd suspect that Wiz might have been removed from EU4 development team.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

As a regualr player of tibet, im More excited to hear about Buddhist mechanics tbh, they've always been lacking

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whorelord posted:

As a regualr player of tibet, im More excited to hear about Buddhist mechanics tbh, they've always been lacking
I've played a game for a while as Khmer and stayed Buddhist, but their two religious benefits are lackluster and I dont remember any other events or anything that made them more interesting.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

logger posted:

With the recent changes to Memel and the fact that Johan took over posting the diaries, I'd suspect that Wiz might have been removed from EU4 development team.

Maybe he'll now have the time to start updating his Azerbaijan LP again.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

Pause Westernisation
Sometimes while you are westernising, you end up where you need to use your power for something else, like boosting stability, but currently you can’t. Now we have added the option to pause westernisation. You’ll still get the unrest from westernising, but there will be no events spawning while westernisation is paused. Most importantly though is the fact that your power is accumulating again instead of contributing to the westernisation process.
Westernization may not be a pile of poo poo anymore.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just want to pop in and go back to idea chat and defend Aristocratic as a first mil idea, as I've really had a lot of use for going it. Early on Cav are the most powerful unit, so the bonus to them is helpful, though of course later in the game they become less useful. And Aristocratic is a grab bag of very useful things, the extra diplomat is nothing to scoff at. Also I believe the increased coring cost makes people less likely to outright attack you, unless they have a core or something, because its so prohibitive. The reduced tradition decay is amazing, and the mil tech reduction I find essential as a non Western power, it lets you stay on top of your tech in a big way. Also extra military leaders is nice, though that might just be because I'm bad at managing my power projection, but it's nice to have the freedom to have a siege general or an admiral, or an explorer/conquistador if I want it.

Also the Aristocratic events are quite nice too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eimi posted:

I just want to pop in and go back to idea chat and defend Aristocratic as a first mil idea, as I've really had a lot of use for going it. Early on Cav are the most powerful unit, so the bonus to them is helpful, though of course later in the game they become less useful. And Aristocratic is a grab bag of very useful things, the extra diplomat is nothing to scoff at. Also I believe the increased coring cost makes people less likely to outright attack you, unless they have a core or something, because its so prohibitive. The reduced tradition decay is amazing, and the mil tech reduction I find essential as a non Western power, it lets you stay on top of your tech in a big way. Also extra military leaders is nice, though that might just be because I'm bad at managing my power projection, but it's nice to have the freedom to have a siege general or an admiral, or an explorer/conquistador if I want it.

Also the Aristocratic events are quite nice too.
I dont think it is bad, but in my (and a lot of people's) opinions, everything other than Naval is better in a pure military sense - Aristocratic has a bunch of bonuses that do not directly make you fight better, and fighting better is p important.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I dont think it is bad, but in my (and a lot of people's) opinions, everything other than Naval is better in a pure military sense - Aristocratic has a bunch of bonuses that do not directly make you fight better, and fighting better is p important.

Especially if you are spending your extremely precious mil points on non-combat things. If I am spending mil points, I want to be getting mil bonuses. Core creation is not great (I rarely get attacked anyway, I welcome it just to mix things up instead of me rolling the world over), I don't care about vassal income, diplomats are not what I spend mil for, and war exhaustion reduction is not a thing I find useful except in very extreme circumstances because I always have an abundance of dip. Dip is probably the least useful power in the game.

The boost to cavalry is nice, but I find I am not using cavalry much (if at all, honestly, horses are expensive) after 1500.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aristocratic seems good for nomads but i think nomads would appreciate Quantity, Defensive and Offensive much more.

The problem isn't that Aristocratic is bad, it's just not as good as the other three and your choice of ideas is limited to usually three ideas of the same type at most.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The only point of Aristocratic is for the AI to pick it to gently caress you over.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The only point of Aristocratic is for the AI to pick it to gently caress you over.

bohemia.txt

e; it would be a real dick move if Bohemia actually took aristocratic (they don't, it says so in their code), they just have core creation as a NI, fwiw

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You need it to change into a noble republic too, right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

bohemia.txt

e; it would be a real dick move if Bohemia actually took aristocratic (they don't, it says so in their code), they just have core creation as a NI, fwiw

Yeah, Aristocratic is Poland.txt. And also France sometimes, which is particularly harsh considering their already rich provinces.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

logger posted:

Wait is this serious? I always assumed he was doing a good job with EU4.

The big problem with aristocratic is that everything in the game is still handled by war, and the other ideas make you better at war. Sure, coring cost increase may make others attack you less. But what makes them attack you even less is super armies, tons of dudes, and/or stacked forts with bonus attrition. Cav bonus is good, except they get phased out superquick and end up just a minor piece of your real armies (outside of the fact that quantity/offensive indirectly boost cav anyways, while boosting everything else). Even the idea that reduced mil tradition decay got nerfed when it was moved from innovative (which I still don't understand).

It's kinda different from the problem with diplomacy ideas-i think a lot of the diplomacy ideas are just plain bad. Aristocratic is just kinda meh when it's next to a bunch of amazing stuff, and doesn't even really offer the situational utility gained from stuff like expansion/religious in admin ideas.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Another Person posted:

bohemia.txt

The worst is Austria taking the dumb core creation cost policy, which my last few games have seen.

Also I've mostly seen Norway take Aristocratic. I've had some of my vassals take it sometimes too which makes for a fun surprise when you go to annex them!

Really I think it's just a dumb modifier.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Core cost increase is the self destruct of eu4, it's completely useless for the player but when the ai has it all of sudden it is the most annoying unfun poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Wait is this serious? I always assumed he was doing a good job with EU4.

There has been no formal announcement, and Wiz is still tweeting about EU4, so I really doubt it. From an external perspective he also seems to doing a pretty solid job, so I'd be pretty surprised.

I think it's far more likely Johan is just splitting presenting these with him, and just thought the Memel change was overduepretty funny.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Core cost increase is the self destruct of eu4, it's completely useless for the player but when the ai has it all of sudden it is the most annoying unfun poo poo.

Folks who play MP: coring cost, good?

• Locked thread