Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

No, but a limited format that has the potential to at least put your big dumb eldrazi on the board would be nice.
Play 39 lands and Emrakul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Do people think there won't be an Eldrazi draft deck built into the set like there was for RoE? You won't be picking Emrakul in a lot of drafts but you might well be picking Ulamog's Crusher.

(This isn't a rhetorical question, by the way. If you think they won't put the Eldrazi deck in limited, I'm curious to hear why not.)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is a pretty hard mechanic to support? Wasn't RoE a bigger set with more emphasis on Eldrazi spawn?

I mean I agree with the sentiment that opening Eldrazi should result in playing and casting Eldrazi, because that's rad, but I can see why they wouldn't devote that much of the set to it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Do people think there won't be an Eldrazi draft deck built into the set like there was for RoE? You won't be picking Emrakul in a lot of drafts but you might well be picking Ulamog's Crusher.

(This isn't a rhetorical question, by the way. If you think they won't put the Eldrazi deck in limited, I'm curious to hear why not.)

Because an Eldrazi format has to be built to encourage slower games and this is in a draft format where you will have access to potentially absurd poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderdrake posted:

It is a pretty hard mechanic to support? Wasn't RoE a bigger set with more emphasis on Eldrazi spawn?

I mean I agree with the sentiment that opening Eldrazi should result in playing and casting Eldrazi, because that's rad, but I can see why they wouldn't devote that much of the set to it.
Honestly all the really need to do to support it is urza lands and maybe a ritual effect or mana rock/mana dork (come on hierarch!) and you'd be fairly set to go.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Again, new art, black bordered Urza lands, come on Wizards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Honestly all the really need to do to support it is urza lands and maybe a ritual effect or mana rock/mana dork (come on hierarch!) and you'd be fairly set to go.

How are you planning on getting out tron consistently? You'll need to have sylvan scrying and probably other versions of the effect.

Also lol if you think hierarch won't be rare or mythic

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Modern Masters is printing a bunch of high powered cards, wheras...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because an Eldrazi format has to be built to encourage slower games and this is in a draft format where you will have access to potentially absurd poo poo.

ROE was fun as hell to draft but it's also slow as balls which is not the case for shards, zendikar, etc.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's going to take a lot of mana dorks to cast emrakul. People didn't cast emrakul in ROE typically. Getting to 8 mana was a reasoanble thing. 15 was much less reasonable when you're using your mana to chump and people can cast a bunch of different burn spells that are arced lightning / forked bolt type effects.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

ROE was kind of a hothouse flower environment, I don't think its themes and mechanics, with their focus on really careful mana and turn management, would play well with limited themes from other sets. Like, imagine Eldrazi ramp trying to coexist in the same format as Landfall, or Infect, as the first things that spring to mind (both themes from sets that MM2 also encompasses).

e: also yeah, even within ROE casting Emrakul was, uh... ambitious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

How are you planning on getting out tron consistently? You'll need to have sylvan scrying and probably other versions of the effect.

Also lol if you think hierarch won't be rare or mythic
tron at common, hierarch at uncommon. And also Awakening Zone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

tron at common, hierarch at uncommon. And also Awakening Zone.

Hierarch at common would encourage something entirely different.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hierarch at common with a set that probably contains infect? Yeah, that's asking for short games.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Why would this set contain infect at the common level?

I wasn't around for modern masters 1 maybe I have missed the part where it had a bunch of linear insular set mechanics thrown in from previous sets, but it seems like when you're pulling from a pool of 10+ sets the cards are going to avoid parasitic archetypes like infect.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Shovelmint posted:

Say something about it, I am that guy in my store, though I try to keep my clouds away from people and keep it minimal. The store staff have said its okay as long as no one complains. I don't do it when kids are around, or when the store is crowded, but it gives me something to do with my hands other than flicking my cards. If you speak up to the store staff, or the vaper, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure there's raging douchebags who'll pitch a fit, but most of us are just human beings with bad habits, and will try and be considerate.

Or you could just not do it in the store because there are no medical studies proving that smoking with a vape doesn't also affect the people around you. They are banned in New York anywhere you can't smoke a cigarette for exactly that reason.

Also because no one wants to be around someone puffing smoke, even smokers.

Sigma-X posted:

Why would this set contain infect at the common level?

I wasn't around for modern masters 1 maybe I have missed the part where it had a bunch of linear insular set mechanics thrown in from previous sets, but it seems like when you're pulling from a pool of 10+ sets the cards are going to avoid parasitic archetypes like infect.

The Masters sets are actually exactly that. They make them as a limited format first and foremost, and THEN pile on the money rares. There are certain archetypes for every color present. For example, R/W Giants was an archetype, B/U faeries, etc. in MM1. Goblins was an archetype in Vintage Masters.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 23, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Casting Emrakul was highly unlikely in RoE RoE RoE despite a lot of eldrazi being good in the format

I mean it was possible but to ramp to that you were winning with like any other strategy already anyway.

Kozilek and Ulamog were way more castable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They probably do want to reprint Inkmoth, infect would be awkward as a minor theme though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They probably do want to reprint Inkmoth, infect would be awkward as a minor theme though.

Given that both alara and new phyrexia are planes being covered, I wouldn't be surprised if we could literally build UG Infect in MM15 drafts.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Path FNM promo for July heck yea.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

Or you could just not do it in the store because there are no medical studies proving that smoking with a vape doesn't also affect the people around you. They are banned in New York anywhere you can't smoke a cigarette for exactly that reason.

Also because no one wants to be around someone puffing smoke, even smokers.

The Masters sets are actually exactly that. They make them as a limited format first and foremost, and THEN pile on the money rares. There are certain archetypes for every color present. For example, R/W Giants was an archetype, B/U faeries, etc. in MM1. Goblins was an archetype in Vintage Masters.

I think you focused on teh word limited rather than the words insular set mechanics and the word parasitic. e: I didn't even use limited so IDK

Like I understand that there are a lot of archetypes supported for limited. I understand that some of them may even be similar to previous block archetypes elsewhere, like faeries.

but tribal, in particular, is not a parasitic mechanic. It just gets better if you're in the tribe, but you aren't punished for running a tapper that happens to be a rebel, nor are you forcing out a bunch of cards by having a tribally-aligned tapper in a set when that's a standard limited mechanic.

Like, any ramp cards that you put in to support casting emrakul are going to support ramping into better, more reasonably costed cards as well. Any infect creatures you put in are going to require the infect player to pick up a ton of infect cards and no one else is going to ever want to touch them because they're all terrible loving creatures unless you're in infect for the most part (and the ones that are actually good are going to get sniped because anyone will play skytheryx so putting him in there doesn't support the archetype at all).

Like, landfall as an archetype will be something supported because you can get cards like the panoramas and evolving wilds to support that mechanic without poisoning the well for other decks. But infect and eldrazi force too many restrictions on the field.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll see those supported as draft themes. I'm not saying they won't print cards with the mechanic (I think inkmoth or phyrexian crusader are both highly likely to be reprinted, and Emrakul's been spoiled).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I hope they don't put infect as a limited thing again because infect is not fun for limited.

Like I actually feel like it's worse than wither because of how it interacts with non-infect creatures.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

I hope they don't put infect as a limited thing again because infect is not fun for limited.

Like I actually feel like it's worse than wither because of how it interacts with non-infect creatures.

Wither is fine, infect is lovely. Wither makes creatures more powerful in combat without changing the player damage, Infect makes them lovely if they hit the player and you're running a mix.

Anyone who wants infect as a limited mechanic didn't play scars limited and certainly didn't play sealed, where the infect cards were just random loving bullets there to gently caress up your sealed pool and were never enough to play a good sealed deck barring some sick variance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Path FNM promo for July heck yea.

I want.

August will also be a Modern Staple apparently.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Wither is fine, infect is lovely. Wither makes creatures more powerful in combat without changing the player damage, Infect makes them lovely if they hit the player and you're running a mix.

Anyone who wants infect as a limited mechanic didn't play scars limited and certainly didn't play sealed, where the infect cards were just random loving bullets there to gently caress up your sealed pool and were never enough to play a good sealed deck barring some sick variance.

One time I managed to get the hand of the praetor deck in an 8-4 in triple scars and it was the easiest win ever.

But it was still stupid as an archetype.

When your draft strategy is "draft at least 10 guys with infect" that's not a good thing for the format.

Also tron at common would be bad for similar reasons - you'd need to devote so many picks/slots to make the stupid thing work.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

I want.

Neat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I want.

Hot drat, that is nice.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
A couple of the other regulars, last time I was there, were talking about sending the owner an email about it. Don't know whats come of that yet.

Haven't been over there much since I usually draft there while I play standard at another shop, and I've mostly played standard these past few weeks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doesn't beat the Guay art but I still want them. :peanut:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

I want.

This is gorgeous.

re: Tron ins MM15, I think you can just print Tron lands and Expedition map and Reap and Sow at common and let it sort itself out. We're going to have zendikar block and a ton of crazy lands available so the two non-basic land search cards have non-tron value, and the tron lands themselves are functional but undesirable unless in the archetype. The other cards in the deck aren't necesary (although the chromatic star / sphere are certainly great limited enablers and not tron specific at all, and ancient stirrings is a enabler for u/g artifacts, etc.)

e: adding tron mana does have the potential to be disruptive to the set (if they're t common) and it's also unplayable if they're at uncommon (which would be what you could do if you wanted to just reprint them). They're not really expensive yet, either, so they're not necesary for a reprint. I don't think they're a high pick for reprint just wanted to point out they're a lot less parasitic than loving infect.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

New second past path to exile art

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

and it's also unplayable if they're at uncommon

Out of curiosity I ran the numbers for this. There's only about a ~7% probability of all three of them all appearing in any given pod. That's insanely unplayable.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I had a good win rare in scars draft just forcing infect no matter what I opened. it was bad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'll never understand their promo choices. The fact that someone, somewhere sat down and said "You know, we need another promo Path to Exile, but make this one way more anime." and nobody said poo poo to them boggles the mind.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Toshimo posted:

I'll never understand their promo choices. The fact that someone, somewhere sat down and said "You know, we need another promo Path to Exile, but make this one way more anime." and nobody said poo poo to them boggles the mind.

The other promo printing was a WPN promo (I checked) so its availability was poo poo. As for the art, eh. Its not great, not bad. It is nu-magic cart. I guy walking a path...in exile. Everyone I know is excited for them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Out of curiosity I ran the numbers for this. There's only about a ~7% probability of all three of them all appearing in any given pod. That's insanely unplayable.

Is that at common or uncommon?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Late to this party, but I chuckled at the article for Sarkhan and Ugin's response to Bolas releasing the Eldrazi comes into line perfectly with how people feel about Bolas.

In that Bolas is a loving idiot.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

Is that at common or uncommon?

At uncommon, but I mistyped when I was doing the math and screwed it up. When I'm not being dumb, the probability of all three being present in a pod if they're all at uncommon is a bit over 21%. That's still crazy low.

I'm actually not sure they'd be too oppressive at common, depending on how much nonbasic land tutoring is available. Only ~23% of the time will there be at least two copies each of at least two of the urza lands in the pod, so it could be difficult to assemble the tron consistently. One obstacle is that 25% of the time one of the tronlands will still be missing entirely, and then you're left with the other two running around at common being completely useless.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
How do FNM promos work? Do you get them for playing FNM, or do you have to win or what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Xir posted:

How do FNM promos work? Do you get them for playing FNM, or do you have to win or what?

One of my lgs's gives them both to the winners and randomly to those who attend.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

One of my lgs's gives them both to the winners and randomly to those who attend.

This is actually the only way you're allowed to do it under the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think our store gives one to first and second and two more out randomly.

• Locked thread