Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Pumpy Dumper posted:

cars are basically just murder weapons that will randomly decide to maim and kill everyone in their way
lol if u don't think bicycles have also fatally collided with pedestrians

also someone driving a car knows that they're not supposed to pop up onto the sidewalk. bicyclists dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gus Hobbleton posted:

it already embeds just fine???

lol at addons

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Space-Pope posted:

also someone driving a car knows that they're not supposed to pop up onto the sidewalk

have you never even seen a video from russia

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

lol at addons

they own

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Space-Pope posted:

bicycles are just cars that will randomly decide that they're actually pedestrians

id rather a bike decided to be a pedestrian than a car. and guess what i see trying to become a pedestrian more than bikes

hint, its trucks driving up on the loving sidewalk rather than wait at a red light

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

cars are basically just murder weapons that will randomly decide to maim and kill everyone in their way
if cyclists were absolutely required to carry collision/liability insurance like cars are in many jurisdictions i probably wouldn't care about them. it's as much of a logistical nightmare as requiring licensing for cyclists but one can dream

as it stands if you get hit by a cyclist you might as well have been stabbed by a hobo. home/renter's insurance sometimes applies but not every cyclist has those and not necessarily with robust policies

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i like bike

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
alternately it would be better if your own car insurance's unknown/underinsured tortfeasor coverage explicitly extended to underinsured cyclists but that's putting a further burden on the prospective "victim" and it wouldn't apply if you were a ped or cyclist struck by another cyclist anyway

such coverage only works in scenarios where everyone's (reasonably assumed to be) insured anyway

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

bike chat is back....and this time its personal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

alternately it would be better if your own car insurance's unknown/underinsured tortfeasor coverage explicitly extended to underinsured cyclists but that's putting a further burden on the prospective "victim" and it wouldn't apply if you were a ped or cyclist struck by another cyclist anyway

such coverage only works in scenarios where everyone's (reasonably assumed to be) insured anyway

minimum auto coverage typically covers this already

and lol at thinking that bike insurance would be any kinda burden - go have a look at what motorcycle insurance costs sometime

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
yeah i dont think bike insurance would be much of a barrier but it would be nice if people who actually are injured by bikes had some sort of recourse.

licensing i dont really care much about because the people who blow through a red light and then immediately plow into a group of school kids while screaming "IM LATE SO ITS OKAY" are licensed too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the main problem is enforcement

cops don't really spend a lotta time writing tickets to bicycle stopsign runners

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cops don't really spend a lotta time writing tickets to bicycle stopsign runners

iawtp

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

minimum auto coverage typically covers this already

and lol at thinking that bike insurance would be any kinda burden - go have a look at what motorcycle insurance costs sometime
i'm thinking of a scenario where a commuter (i.e. pedestrian who doesn't own a car) is struck by an at-fault cyclist (with insufficient/no renter's/home insurance) and the pedestrian is significantly injured. there is no insurance at all in play, and the cyclist only has pockets so deep for the victim to sue, which makes a lawsuit a non-starter

if you're a car driver who is struck by an at-fault cyclist and (somehow) seriously injured, it is true that your no-fault benefits will apply and take the edge off (paying your medical expenses and part of your loss of income going forward) but the larger scope of a lawsuit has the same problem-- no recovery for future losses or pain & suffering. it is theoretically possible that your own car insurance's underinsured/unidentified tortfeasor coverage could kick in but i think it only applies as against other car drivers (presumed to be paying into the mandatory minimum insurance scheme in some way). in some places it might but i don't think it's common even if it's true at all

what i meant by the burden of "bike insurance" is the added cost to a "victim" car driver's existing auto insurance costs which are already significant (for good reason)

if bike insurance was mandatory i agree it would probably be pretty cheap (to carry the minimum), like you indicate with motorcycles. there's only so much damage a bike can reasonably be expected to do compared to a car. it would also be a nightmare to implement because bikes are also (currently) considered children's toys as well as a mode of transportation and the cost of implementation wouldn't be worth it unless bike usage increases like 50000% all across north america

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

yeah i dont think bike insurance would be much of a barrier but it would be nice if people who actually are injured by bikes had some sort of recourse.

licensing i dont really care much about because the people who blow through a red light and then immediately plow into a group of school kids while screaming "IM LATE SO ITS OKAY" are licensed too
and they can be punished additionally for driving without a license and/or insurance. in lesser cases the license can be revoked which doesn't stop everyone admittedly

but yeah it's the lack of recourse against particularly ignorant/aggressive cyclists that is the only thing that bothers me. shy of that i would just slot them in alongside dangerous rear end in a top hat car drivers and never think of them again

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:agreed:

also :agreed: particularly if they are white

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
how many people are injured by bicyclists

how many people are injured by motorists

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lightbulb Out posted:

how many cars are there/how many bikes are there/why do we always have to have this argument? :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

cyclists (legitimately) complain about getting doored etc. but the fact of the matter is if they get seriously hurt by a car driver out of the use and operation of their car in 99% of cases they can sue and stand a reasonable chance of recovery (and competent legal representation) at first instance and the car company pays for the motorist's lawyer who will likely play ball

sometimes you don't even have to sue to get a decent settlement, although legal help will get you a better settlement in those cases

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

prefect posted:

why do we always have to have this argument? :(

because everyone in this forum are terrible pendants

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the actual problem is how enraged some drivers get at cyclists and how disproportionate that is when youre talking about a bike that wont hurt your car but a car that can kill people

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

the important questions are:

how many people are injured by bicyclists who are then completely hosed for the rest of their lives with no avenue of compensation

how many people are injured by motorists who are then completely hosed for the rest of their lives with no avenue of compensation

the answers should not surprise you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:vd:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

if a bike runs into you and you somehow manage to get seriously injured i think that's darwin's way of telling you that you're too weak to live anyway

how does that even happen

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

the actual problem is how enraged some drivers get at cyclists and how disproportionate that is when youre talking about a bike that wont hurt your car but a car that can kill people
i'm also dreaming when i even implicitly suggest that a bike insurance scheme would remedy this cultural problem

it is possible that a cyclist's actions could cause a motorist to take really dangerous actions, such as swerving to avoid them and hitting something/someone else. it's not just physical forces of bike frame vs. car frame. conversely bikes swerving to avoid cars (and maybe hitting something/someone) tends to cause less damage overall obviously

ol qwerty bastard posted:

if a bike runs into you and you somehow manage to get seriously injured i think that's darwin's way of telling you that you're too weak to live anyway

if you're a pedestrian, not that hard to have happen

if you're in a car, see above

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:mrgw:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

bikes traveling 20+ mph colliding with a person happens a lot. that's not as much force as a car going the same speed, but it's still totally capable of loving u up

also kids and elderly

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
fartttttt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it's cool that i can waste everyone's time on this topic with tons of idiot bitch words just as effectively when i'm not even mad about cyclists at all

anyway uh pics, right

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

i'm not even mad

lol

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

i'm also dreaming when i even implicitly suggest that a bike insurance scheme would remedy this cultural problem

it is possible that a cyclist's actions could cause a motorist to take really dangerous actions, such as swerving to avoid them and hitting something/someone else. it's not just physical forces of bike frame vs. car frame. conversely bikes swerving to avoid cars (and maybe hitting something/someone) tends to cause less damage overall obviously

im specifically talking about instances such as critical-mass-person-drives-through-crowd.gif

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

'oh boo hoo i am not able to go fast' *drives through person on bike*

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
bicycles should only be used on paths and trails for leisure, leave the roads open for the hard working men and women who have more important things to do and places to go.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

yes, this is the correct way to do it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
most people who ride bikes drive too, just include cycling insurance as an addon on car insurance

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

im specifically talking about instances such as critical-mass-person-drives-through-crowd.gif

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

uhhh ok? i don't get the connection at all. driving through a crowed of pedestrians is bad but it doesn't happen much, much like cyclists causing at-fault accidents with cars doesn't actually happen that much. i guess if you have seniors who lose control of the vehicle it would be better if they were on a bike instead but there's that whole physical fitness component

if there were equal amounts of cyclists and motorists we would see who causes more accidents but we don't have that in north america. what we do have is traffic systems that are mostly incompatible with the speed/size difference of the two types of transportation

speaking of a physical fitness component, the argument that cyclists shouldn't have to stop for stop signs/lights because it's aerobically too hard to stop and start all the time is to me a good example of the incompatibility

as far as "road rage" against cyclists, those same people probably get a lot of road rage against other motorists too, which is a problem, but at least there's the whole thing where we have to assume they're insured to a certain minimum level so if they crush a cyclist the cyclist can be compensated

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i had this idea to make driving a lot more pleasant and safe

get a bunch of combat drones and have them flying in a holding pattern over the city. then, issue every driver an "rear end in a top hat remote", which is a little remote control with a single button on it. if you point it at another driver and press the button, it registers an "rear end in a top hat report" against them. if a driver gets too many rear end in a top hat reports within a certain amount of time, one of the drones takes him out. conversely, if you go around clicking the remote at everyone, you get dronekilled instead, since you're the one being an rear end in a top hat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i had this idea to make driving a lot more pleasant and safe

get a bunch of combat drones and have them flying in a holding pattern over the city. then, issue every driver an "rear end in a top hat remote", which is a little remote control with a single button on it. if you point it at another driver and press the button, it registers an "rear end in a top hat report" against them. if a driver gets too many rear end in a top hat reports within a certain amount of time, one of the drones takes him out. conversely, if you go around clicking the remote at everyone, you get dronekilled instead, since you're the one being an rear end in a top hat
instead of a remote just give everyone paintball guns

certain amount of shots on your car triggers dronestrike

having an half-empty paintball gun also triggers dronestrike

also: new season of china il to start watching aw yiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

.gifv is haram

• Locked thread