Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

b0red posted:

All this poo poo keeps coming out with all sorts of crazy rear end bells and whistles. I'm still real content with spinning vinyl, all I really want is a decent dub siren.

have you considered spicing up your set with some undanceable performance pad finger drumming though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only time I've seen anything like that and actually enjoyed it was the first time I saw BT many, many years ago and he was using an MPC as a controller but he had it rigged up to the lights and stuff, plus half the time he was playing the pads using actual drumsticks. Diplo-style inifini-looping on vocals does nothing for me.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I would actually love to have a couple small screens that I could rig up to my Pioneer DDJ. Anything that makes me spend more time on the decks and less time looking at the computer is a good thing.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Poizen Jam posted:

I would actually love to have a couple small screens that I could rig up to my Pioneer DDJ. Anything that makes me spend more time on the decks and less time looking at the computer is a good thing.

Yeah totally, I mean CDJs have little screens for basic waveforms and track information.

But I have a feeling that a cheaper controller alternative to CDJs that plays music without a laptop will never be a thing because Pioneer has that market cornered. I doubt NI would undercut Pioneer like that. They set the price a long time ago for a dedicated USB track reader/player and the industry respects that. People have no problem shelling out for CDJs if they have the money because they accept their value.

Also I guess NI doesn't owe us anything and would just mark up their controller to CDJ prices anyway.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 29, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Firaga posted:

But I have a feeling that a cheaper controller alternative to CDJs that plays music without a laptop will never be a thing because Pioneer has that market cornered. I doubt NI would undercut Pioneer like that. They set the price a long time ago for a dedicated USB track reader/player and the industry respects that. People have no problem shelling out for CDJs if they have the money because they accept their value.

Uh, the XDJ-RX is about to be a thing and is substantially cheaper than a pair of CDJs + a mixer.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I was talking about detached midi controllers to use with dedicated mixers, not all in one controllers. So as if you could plug in a USB into an X1 or the new D2.

Although it's pretty cool that there is an all in one that doesn't need a laptop. Didn't know that, might save a lot of smaller venues some money and maybe they will replace their old lovely equipment!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Firaga posted:

Didn't know that, might save a lot of smaller venues some money and maybe they will replace their old lovely equipment!!

Hahahaaaaaaa yeahhhhhhh. That'd be a fine day indeed.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e: will return

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 1, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mitztronic posted:

Seems like controllers nowadays are pretty rugged, but I am going to get either a DDJ-SR or DDJ-SB, and it seems like the differences are pretty minimal (correct me if I'm wrong), and it will be taking trips to burning man, so it seems like I may be better off with the SB. It also weighs a bit less which may come in handy, and if it does get bricked, it won't be $600 to replace.

Anyone used either or both of these in extreme environments? I know the traktor S2/S4 hold up extremely well, so that is my third/side option.

I would have preferred to go with a 4-deck controller but there's no way in hell I am dropping $1k on something that is going to BM (also I refuse to drop 2x the price (DDJ-SX2) for some multicolor LEDs, and a minimal addition of electronics)

The DDJ-SB doesn't have trim knobs.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Get a ddj-sr and buy it second hand.

I used a ddj-sb for about a year, and now own the SR. It is miles ahead, you can even pick up SX's 2nd hand for pretty cheap.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Can you scratch with the Traktor s4?

I really like using my iPad to DJ, but it'd be fun to have a controller that lets me scratch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an S2 and the fader was OK but the jogs were a bit fiddly, I mean obviously it can be done, there's plenty of youtubes attesting to that fact, I just never felt 100% on it [not that I'm any good at scratching in the first place]. It's hard to adjust to how much you have to move the jog wheel equivalent to a record.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anybody else own a Xone DB2 here?

I got one pretty much brand new at a nice discount about a year and a half ago and I've been very happy with it for the most part. It sounds super clean and the FX panel has been clutch for warming up external synths and has seen some use in mixes as well. The effects sit pretty will with the mix and in my opinion don't sound as jarring as the Traktor or DJM FX.

That being said I have three major complaints if anyone is considering buying one, and these might break the deal for some people.

First one is the half-assed filters. They are not bad, I will use them over internal Traktor filters any day, but with no resonance control and being generally kind of quiet its really disappointing considering its an A+H mixer which is known for their legendary filters. I mix with filters a lot, it's basically a 4th EQ for me so this is a huge deal.
A+H kept saying there will be full support for these mixers and there will be updates with new features and effects, etc. The last firmware update was something like 2 years ago and added cascading FX (something I've used once) along with some other misc stuff but that's about it. So like a lot of other DB2 owners I held on hoping they will patch in a filter FX with controllable parameters but nothing so far. If you go over to the A+H forums you'll see this is the feature everybody wants but A+H hasn't mentioned anything about new firmware in a long time so I've basically given up.

You can switch the EQs over to a full pass filter mode like the VCFs on the other Xone models, but I see almost no use for this other than novelty because of the way its set up. Besides the rotary and standard EQ mode sound really good and I'd rather use those.

Second complaint is the VU meters on the channels. They are half the size of normal ones and are basically useless. I meter using the master by switching over to the channel VU on the master every time I cue which was the default anyway. I don't have any problems with my mixes but it just seems kind of like a weird oversight.

Third is their lovely drivers. I use an external card for easier gigging but a friend of mine has been struggling with their drivers since day 1. I'm pretty sure that their mavericks drivers never left beta before the new version of OSX came out.

All in all if you can get one for sub 1k its an amazing alternative to pioneer mixers if you're looking for a 4 channel 3 band mixer. And as much as I'm not a huge fan of the filters, having the two is key for me rather than the single VCF that the 42 or the 23 has. I don't regret buying it all but I just wanted to rant a bit.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 2, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I went with the S2 because I can use an iPad/iPhone in addition to a laptop. Makes more sense for what I need (modularity, mobility/size/weight, build quality, price)

It's a lot smarter to bring an iPad to burning man as a backup for sandstorms than a $200 piece of poo poo laptop with a 6" screen or a $3000 macbook

I've always been more into traktor anyways, although these days they aren't all that different (compared to 10 years ago). I'm getting old.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Firaga posted:

Anybody else own a Xone DB2 here?

I do not, but I have a friend who is sponsored by A&H, and have payed extensively on his. I agree on the LED's, but get to digging through your on screen options. There are like a million of them and one is a filter adjust.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Old Man Pants posted:

I do not, but I have a friend who is sponsored by A&H, and have payed extensively on his. I agree on the LED's, but get to digging through your on screen options. There are like a million of them and one is a filter adjust.

Are you talking about changing the EQ band into a filter? That would work if I could assign it to an unused channel then use it to control the decks that are running but it changes all 4 bands. As far as I know there is no way to change the resonance on the designated filters in the FX unit.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

mitztronic posted:

I went with the S2 because I can use an iPad/iPhone in addition to a laptop.

I have an S2 mk1 and I'm really sad that this doesn't work with that one.

I have a Z1 for when I want to play off my iPad - that's how I DJ at Burning Man... and actually a Z1 + F1 is a fantastic mobile setup if you have a laptop handy. (Where is my pass thru connector NI??)

I got an S8 and discovered that there are some gigs you really just don't need an entire fully operational spacecraft for, so I now also have myriad other "backup" setups that get almost as much play as that thing does.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 2, 2015

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Question for club djs, in particular rap djs: How much do you switch your set up between gigs?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I like to have, like "runs" that I repeat more often - often it's sort of like I'm constantly refining a set of different sets of records. So if a set of records work together I just keep them in that order and work on my timing. But I have been to clubs where they play literally the same poo poo every night and NO ONE cares. Because the same people don't go to the same club every night. Because they're not even likely to come back the next week in a city.

So I like to always keep it spontaneous, but have a solid foundation of planned runs to fall back on.

I think, as a dj, this has been to my detriment as what people REALLY want to hear is drunk white girl music. All the time. Any gig. If you don't, people won't dance, because they don't care about the same things you do. They just want to get wasted and feel happy, maybe even get laid.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Anyway the question to ask yourself is "would a drunk white girl dance to this song?" And if the answer is "yes" then you should play that song, if you want people to like you. If you don't want to play that song, then perhaps you don't actually want people to like you, and have other goals in mind. Which is ok. But don't get bitter about it.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

bad day posted:

Anyway the question to ask yourself is "would a drunk white girl dance to this song?" And if the answer is "yes" then you should play that song, if you want people to like you. If you don't want to play that song, then perhaps you don't actually want people to like you, and have other goals in mind. Which is ok. But don't get bitter about it.

Hahaha yeah, I came to that music selection conclusion myself as well. People thought my jersey set wouldn't go down well but it killed because it was all drake remixes, rnb remixes, and songs that have lyrics like "it's my pussy I do what I want". I'm just a bit concerned about what the standards are with repeating the same stuff I've already played as I don't think I can crank out a new rap set every week and they want me to play rap.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

bad day posted:

I like to have, like "runs" that I repeat more often - often it's sort of like I'm constantly refining a set of different sets of records. So if a set of records work together I just keep them in that order and work on my timing.

This is basically how I build my trance/house sets. Sure if someone comes to all your gigs they might start learning "if I hear X song, I'm probably going to hear Y within a couple songs of it" but that's not really a big deal. Like you said most people aren't going to show up to even two of your gigs.

If you're doing a podcast then it's different, you can expect to have a lot of the same audience for most episodes of your podcast so you have to be careful about repeats. But live gigs people want to hear what's popular, even if you've played those songs in your last ten sets.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I feel like it kind of comes down to how you organize your crates but I still find myself searching for the same songs every time I play out. I really need to get out of that habit.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone know of a good guide to clean up the faceplate of a 1200? I've found a pair for a really loving good price on Craigsilst but I hate how dirty and scratched it up it looks.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

keevo posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide to clean up the faceplate of a 1200? I've found a pair for a really loving good price on Craigsilst but I hate how dirty and scratched it up it looks.

Just buy new faceplates. You can replace almost everything on a 1200.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I decided to try mixing as a hobby 4 or 5 years ago, ended up with a VCI-100 with DJTTs firmware and overlay, loved it, but sold it to fund other hobbies. I impulse bought a blemished DDJ-SX from ZZsound last night and I don't feel bad about it at all. Is there anything I should know or read up on? I've heard Serato is simpler, which is nice.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 20, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Champ Baldoon posted:

Just buy new faceplates. You can replace almost everything on a 1200.

Eh I'd rather fix it than just cover it up. I ended up buying the 1200s. One of them is ugly but fine while the other needs to have the RCAs re-soldered.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Google Butt posted:

So I decided to try mixing as a hobby 4 or 5 years ago, ended up with a VCI-100 with DJTTs firmware and overlay, loved it, but sold it to fund other hobbies. I impulse bought a blemished DDJ-SX from ZZsound last night and I don't feel bad about it at all. Is there anything I should know or read up on? I've heard Serato is simpler, which is nice.

The difference between the major DJing programs is mostly design philosophy. I'm sure with your experience you know much of this stuff, but I'll be a bit more exhaustive for the benefit of the uninitiated.

Virtual DJ embraces a fully digital platform, encouraging use of sync and generally taking the approach that no one cares what's happening under the hood. As long as it sounds fine. Of course VDJ has a bit of a bad rap for being baby's first digital DJing software, but it's fairly full featured and in many ways more moddable than Traktor or Serato.

Serato was an attempt to digitize more traditional DJing styles. It emphasizes CDJ and Vinyl style controls and workflow. There aren't too many fancy bells and whistles- in many ways it is (or was...) more minimalist in nature. If you're a vinyl or CDJ person who wants to transition as seamlessly as possible to a digital setup, to avoid lugging crates around, this would be your go to. This is my personal favourite option after using a DDJ SX at my last residency, and if you'd rather spend more time looking at the decks and relegate your laptop to storing tracks, it's great.

Traktor is somewhere between the two, trying to balance more traditional DJing while bolstering it with digital features. You get sample decks that resemble Ableton's session view, as well as a pile of effects, bells and whistles, and the option for a DVS setup for more traditional gear. If you were a producer seeking to get into DJing but perhaps not fond of an Ableton based setup, this is a great option. In my experience it's a little on the bloated side and more prone to random, audio drop outs, and high CPU demands than Serato. My biggest gripe about Traktor, however, is the utterly poo poo controller manager/editor- ironic given its digital bend.

The fact is feature creep homogenized many of the unique aspects of the various softwares. Traktor still has a few things Serato doesn't (midi clock in/out comes to mind, and the sample decks), as with Serato (more modular screen layout, parallel waveforms), but as time goes on its becoming more and more of a simple preference thing.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 22, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
To be honest the iPad version of Traktor DJ is the best mixing system/application out there right now. Especially if you hook it up to an S2 or S4 controller. Multitouch controls make SO MUCH more sense than using a laptop. My only complaint is my stubby fingers make me want a bigger iPad. The basic app doesn't have pitch control but if you plug it into an S2 or S4 that feature magically appears.

Keep in mind I learned and played for 10+ years with straight vinyl records. I actually quit DJing for 4-5 years until I got Traktor for the iPad - it just wasn't fun anymore, now it's awesome.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

bad day posted:

To be honest the iPad version of Traktor DJ is the best mixing system/application out there right now. Especially if you hook it up to an S2 or S4 controller. Multitouch controls make SO MUCH more sense than using a laptop. My only complaint is my stubby fingers make me want a bigger iPad. The basic app doesn't have pitch control but if you plug it into an S2 or S4 that feature magically appears.

Keep in mind I learned and played for 10+ years with straight vinyl records. I actually quit DJing for 4-5 years until I got Traktor for the iPad - it just wasn't fun anymore, now it's awesome.

The only time I interact with my laptop while DJing is to type a song into the search, and the few times I've used Traktor with an S2 has been pretty much the same. Regardless the last interface I want to use if I'm forced to interact with the software directly is a touch screen, just give me a mouse and keyboard.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'd like to explore using a projector to display VJ clips (sample source: http://www.beeple-crap.com/vjclips.php). I use Serato DJ with a DDJ-SR controller. Ideally, I'd plug the projector to my Macbook, and have the video clips loop and do basic transitions. This would mostly be for my living room, for the occasional session with a handful of friends over.

Is Serato Video worth $149? It seems like it'd be the easiest to implement, but I frankly don't even know. Does anyone here use Serato DJ and any kind of VJ integration?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Isn't there a trial of the video software?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

keevo posted:

Isn't there a trial of the video software?

Yes there is. I'd recommend Mix Emergency over Serato Video though. I've been using ME with Serato Scratch Live and Serato DJ for a few years now and it works really well. Serato Video is finally adding features that ME has had for a long time and since ME officially works with DJ, there's really no reason to use Serato Video unless you're cheap.

http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency

edit: both have trial versions.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Well, I ~am~ cheap! But still, thank you. Looking into ME now.

*edit: do you have video of your setup in action?

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I actually wouldn't mind looking into something for video with Traktor, just for messing around in my apartment.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I got my ddj-sx. I know there's no split cue, but is there anyway to set this up so I can mix in my headphones only? Sometimes I need to be quiet.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Turn the headphone mix knob that's in the middle of the mixer to the Master side and turn on the Master Cue button. That should be it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

keevo posted:

Turn the headphone mix knob that's in the middle of the mixer to the Master side and turn on the Master Cue button. That should be it.

There's no way to hear the track you're queuing up in one side without split cue huh? Guess I bought the wrong hardware. Most of my mixing will be done in headphones.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

You could just leave the knob in between Master and Cue so you can hear both? I don't think you'll be able to do one ear master and one ear cue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

keevo posted:

You could just leave the knob in between Master and Cue so you can hear both? I don't think you'll be able to do one ear master and one ear cue though.

Yeah now that I'm thinking back, I didn't have split cue with my vci-100 and traktor either, I think what I did was just fine tune the mix in my headphones so I could hear what's going on.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2015