Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
dat new F-Zero track doe

oh and the Toad Forest one too :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
For those who like seeing little details in stages, Ribbon Road and Super Bell Subway are probably the ones with the most little tidbits; Ribbon Road with all the toys and fake brands, and the subway for fake vending machine drinks, locations, and a map of where all the tracks are located with respect to each other (although Rainbow Road is marked as closer to the center of town than Cheese Road so I'm calling bullshit).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Wild Woods track is gorgeous. So is Ribbon Road. In fact Ribbon Road has so much detail in the background, it's almost a shame you zoom past it so fast.

Also it's funny how the subway cars react to invincibility. Each individual car jumps hops into the air one at a time the character moves through them, like they're avoiding a mouse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

For those who like seeing little details in stages, Ribbon Road and Super Bell Subway are probably the ones with the most little tidbits; Ribbon Road with all the toys and fake brands, and the subway for fake vending machine drinks, locations, and a map of where all the tracks are located with respect to each other (although Rainbow Road is marked as closer to the center of town than Cheese Road so I'm calling bullshit).

Rainbow Road is way up in the air; makes sense it's in a geosync orbit above the center of town.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yo where my Isabelles at?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I installed the courses this morning so they are up and ready when I get home from work today. I love the twist they've put on the music from New Leaf.

I will assume there's no way to get the amiibo costumes without buying the toys? I want the drat Kirby hat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Earth Table posted:

I will assume there's no way to get the amiibo costumes without buying the toys? I want the drat Kirby hat.

Correct. As of right now, scanning an appropriate amiibo is the only way to unlock the Mii racing suits. This could change in the future, but I doubt Nintendo would want to devalue their NFC figures this soon. That said, there's nothing stopping the same amiibo from unlocking racing suits on a bunch of different consoles, so if you know someone with some amiibo, they can unlock stuff for you.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Kirby is probably one of the most versatile Amiibos, as you can use it in the most amount of games when compared to all the others.

Anyway… the one comment in the thread about Baby Kart being the Thunderdome of Mario Kart makes me wish we had an actual Thunderdome track for Battle Mode where you can ride on the cage in anti-gravity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

Kirby is probably one of the most versatile Amiibos, as you can use it in the most amount of games when compared to all the others.

Anyway… the one comment in the thread about Baby Kart being the Thunderdome of Mario Kart makes me wish we had an actual Thunderdome track for Battle Mode where you can ride on the cage in anti-gravity.

Kirby and Link are tied.

Link unlocks a Spinner in Hyrule Warriors and then high-ranked Link weapons after that

Kirby activates infinite star power in Rainbow Curse, and gives a random drop in Hyrule Warriors

Both function as the following:
Mii racing suit
Figure Player in smash
Extra lives in captain toad
Scratch cards in Mario Party 10

The only thing I'm not sure about is if either unlocks a plane in that Ace Combat 3DS game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Big Blue is amazing... and then you hit the water slide and it becomes sublime.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Is there a way to download the DLC while away from my Wii U? I'd like it to be ready when I get home.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Is there a way to download the DLC while away from my Wii U? I'd like it to be ready when I get home.
You are grossly overestimating Nintendo's online capabilities

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Where are the 200cc online rooms

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Haven't touched the game in months. Bought both DLCs just now and immediately did the Special Cup at 200cc. It's, uh... going to be an experience playing online again.

e: the Blooper is a devastating weapon now.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Updating the game now. Gonna do some Karting tonight!

Question: what weight class are Isabelle and Villager? I'm assuming Dry Bowser is a heavyweight... Am I missing anybody else?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Ribbon Road is my favorite new track, followed closely by Big Blue.

The cheese level and neo bowser city I'm finding very difficult.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Little tidbit from having gone through a few courses on 200cc: If you're someone like me who likes to drift a lot in 150cc and lower, 200cc is a class where you have to pick and choose where to drift so you don't drive into the rough. On wavy paths, it's better to drive straight through, while on larger corners it's better to start drifting early so you can properly navigate each turn. Haven't run into any part of the mode where "braking is crucial," but I'll give updates if I come across them.

That being said, 200cc is amazing and the new DLC courses and characters are wonderful. Baby Park is sadly less hectic than I remember it being, but it's still pretty fun.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo the music after doing the AC track on Grand Prix music :3:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Little tidbit from having gone through a few courses on 200cc: If you're someone like me who likes to drift a lot in 150cc and lower, 200cc is a class where you have to pick and choose where to drift so you don't drive into the rough. On wavy paths, it's better to drive straight through, while on larger corners it's better to start drifting early so you can properly navigate each turn. Haven't run into any part of the mode where "braking is crucial," but I'll give updates if I come across them.

That being said, 200cc is amazing and the new DLC courses and characters are wonderful. Baby Park is sadly less hectic than I remember it being, but it's still pretty fun.

It's because there are no giant bananas, chain chomps or bowser shells flying around.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

jivjov posted:

Kirby and Link are tied.

Link unlocks a Spinner in Hyrule Warriors and then high-ranked Link weapons after that

Kirby activates infinite star power in Rainbow Curse, and gives a random drop in Hyrule Warriors

Both function as the following:
Mii racing suit
Figure Player in smash
Extra lives in captain toad
Scratch cards in Mario Party 10

The only thing I'm not sure about is if either unlocks a plane in that Ace Combat 3DS game.

You're right. Link unlocks a plane in Ace Combat, but Kirby has his extra power in Rainbow Curse. Link gets the slight edge because only he unlocks the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok the worst thing in the new courses is getting stuck between two trains with a giant spiky koopa right on your tail

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The worst thing is going off course a bit and stopping right behind a small fence or something so you have to drive around it. Happens alot if you're gliding.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

The worst thing is going off course a bit and stopping right behind a small fence or something so you have to drive around it. Happens alot if you're gliding.

I got hit with an item that caused this to happen to me on Cheese Land. It was a nightmare and would've been better if I'd just gotten knocked off the edge.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

You can do tricks out of the cheese holes in Cheese Land. :cool:

200cc Baby Park is fuckin' nerve wracking. :negative:

This DLC loving rules.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Isabelle is cute as poo poo, why would I ever play as anyone else

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Isabelle is cute as poo poo, why would I ever play as anyone else

What if Cat Suit Isabelle

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yo where my Isabelles at?

I really wanted to, but the MMO minmaxer dwelling inside of me will not allow it.

I did have to downgrade from my high-speed, low-traction setup for 200cc though. I made due on some tracks, but on the tighter tracks, it's not cutting it. Wall-ramming crazy.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Haven't run into any part of the mode where "braking is crucial," but I'll give updates if I come across them.

Neo Bowser City. Bullshit rear end course shouLDVE STAYED ON THE 3DS GOD DAMNIT

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

200CC actually opens up several shortcuts that previously required a mushroom. The ramp near the two thwomps in SNES rainbow road now allows you to just hop right through the middle.

On the downside, I tried 200CC on MK8's rainbow road and experienced controller gnashing frustration. Unlearning the muscle memory for those curves is going to be brutal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there any way to force the update? The DLC is already on the system, but the new patch isn't on the system, as the amiibo page still shows the original set and the second DLC is showed as "coming soon".

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have to clear all the 150cc in Grand Prix to unlock 200cc?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

200cc rules and the new tracks rule.

I also really want a new Animal Crossing on Wii U with a full 3D camera now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can I force the game to update or what? I downloaded the DLC earlier and booted the game. It installed but didn't show up, which I'm assuming is because it never updated?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nftyw posted:

Do you have to clear all the 150cc in Grand Prix to unlock 200cc?

I think you need gold trophies on the original 8 cups, I had a silver and a bronze I had to overwrite to unlock 200cc, which is crazy fun.

The goomba after the first turn in Mario Circuit is now my sworn enemy

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Excited to try this, 200cc and F-Zero levels may finally satisfy the old Wipeout addict in me

Add me as Jickel, I need more friends (in the game :v:)

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Icedude posted:

use Y instead for much better brake control.

:prepop:

This is going to be handy for those ridiculous desert courses and other low-traction things...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rirse posted:

Is there any way to force the update? The DLC is already on the system, but the new patch isn't on the system, as the amiibo page still shows the original set and the second DLC is showed as "coming soon".

I had to start the game, download the update, install the update, start the game, download the DLC, install the DLC. 4 step process unfortunately.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

I had to start the game, download the update, install the update, start the game, download the DLC, install the DLC. 4 step process unfortunately.

Yeah it finally changed to 4.0 after I started it up again, with all the proper things available. Never did 150 CC through, so I can't try out 200 CC right now through.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would anyone complain if I said this was the best Mario Kart ever? Because it is.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Did we come to any conclusions about rooms? One 200cc all tracks, one 150cc just new tracks? Whoever gets in first, make some rooms and post it up.

By far the most reliable way to get into races is to join a friend who's already in the room, so add some goons to your friends list. I'm pokeyman if you want to add me.

I tried to add you but you've disabled incoming friend requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

200cc has reminded me that oh yeah some courses do have ice and that actually matters a loving ton :supaburn:

Also did a great slide right into the water on Sweet Sweet Cannon on the last turn in the twisted spit section. Not even like oh just missed it I was going so drat fast I went FLYING into the water. I never have missed that turn before god this is so much fun!

• Locked thread