Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

meanolmrcloud posted:

didn't even have to wait until monday!
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
I was reading up on ATHX after A Cop's reply and... well I'm glad I decided not to go in... jesus.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Am I the only one who thought that post was a joke?

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

/r/wallstreetbets

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

Thanks for that. I didn't know that subreddit existed, it's awesome.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 17, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Etsy IPO started at $16 a share ($1.78B valuation), and instantly popped to $31. Peaked at over $35. Currently trading just below $30.

How mad should ETSY be that its IPO was evidently underpriced by close to 100%? I assume the big traders who actually get to access IPO shares at the moment of opening trading are the ones who pocket $14 a share on this deal.

Also, any opinions on Etsy? Is it really worth $4B?
IPO underpricing is something that has been studied extensively by academics. Basically, it's a situation where the company understands there will be underpricing and they're okay with a moderate amount, but if it's too extreme, they'll use a different investment bank for secondary offerings.

If you're curious, search Google Scholar for "IPO underpricing".

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My favorite- http://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/32x4rv/fuuuuccckk_the_game_is_rigged_how_much_did_you/cqffdgi

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I just bought 1k of ATHX for funzies. I'm up $5 right now!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
That was a pretty nice all day bounce off .90 if you had balls of steel at the open

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol

hahahahahah nice

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We're through the looking glass ITT

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

From r/wallstreetbets:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm so sorry every one..

hike
Apr 27, 2008

a cop posted:

I'm so sorry every one..

Times like these that make me enjoy this forum

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
Robinhood finally has stop loss stop limit and what not and orders placed until cancelled

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If I receive a dividend from a Canadian stock held in a Roth IRA, my broker shouldn't withhold the usual 15% Canadian tax, correct?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

If I receive a dividend from a Canadian stock held in a Roth IRA, my broker shouldn't withhold the usual 15% Canadian tax, correct?

Canada doesn't give a poo poo that your account is exempt from American tax.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DNova posted:

Canada doesn't give a poo poo that your account is exempt from American tax.
Some guy wrote that the US-Canada tax treaty should protect dividends held in retirement accounts. He claims the relevant wording from the treaty is Article XXI.2

quote:

2. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 3, income referred to in Articles X (Dividends) and XI (Interest) derived by:
(a) a trust, company, organization or other arrangement that is a resident of a Contracting State, generally exempt from income taxation in a taxable year in that State and operated exclusively to administer or provide pension, retirement or employee benefits
shall be exempt from income taxation in that taxable year in the other Contracting State.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion out there ironing this out.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I have gone maximum retard and have bought stock in Mad Catz Interactive. Satan guide my portfolio.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
DDD and SSYS are down, with some targets and predictions that they'll do pretty well. If I want to be OK with risking around $2000-$4000, are those decent stocks to take the risk on or is it way too early to make a call based on the picks and goals? SSYS just cut a bunch of staff and closed some operations so I'm wary.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MJP posted:

DDD and SSYS are down, with some targets and predictions that they'll do pretty well. If I want to be OK with risking around $2000-$4000, are those decent stocks to take the risk on or is it way too early to make a call based on the picks and goals? SSYS just cut a bunch of staff and closed some operations so I'm wary.

Always bet on ATHX

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I said risk, not discard

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

MJP posted:

I said risk, not discard

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK, let me rephrase: the rest of my portfolio is in VFORX and some old iShares stocks that bracket the four corners of the Morningstar quadrant. This is money that I'm prepared to take a minor loss on principal before I sell, but I'd like to expose a little more risk than my current portfolio in hopes of better growth. Are DDD and SSYS decent stocks to buy since they're down now with predictions and targets to get better, or am I better served with something else?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Ugh what happened to hos and tdw. Almost all my gains erased, should've got out when everyone else did.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Ugh what happened to hos and tdw. Almost all my gains erased, should've got out when everyone else did.

I'm looking for an opportunity to grab some more below my cost basis so I can sell half next time the market decides to be bullish on oil for a week.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
Btw, those of you in HOS and TDW should take a look at GLF 's earnings report today. http://seekingalpha.com/article/3086436-gulfmark-offshores-glf-ceo-quintin-kneen-on-q1-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript . GLF sank more than 15% despite beating earnings slightly, take note of their comments on the gulf of mexico.

I think both companies are great to own in the long run, but I'd rather sit out until after HOS does it's earnings on the 28th.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

District Selectman posted:

This is the truth. No one should ignore the human aspect. We're loss averse. Losing hurts more than winning feels good. Take your wins where you can and be happy. You won't (or shouldn't) lose sleep over getting 20% gains vs 30%.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Trying to appease your human nature leads to hanging onto losers for too long and selling winners too quickly though. You end up with a portfolio weighted toward lovely companies.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Congratulations the market always needs a bag holder

hike
Apr 27, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Yes market does need a bag holder, however, the market doesn't K of what to do with oil yet. As long as they report good earnings the market will go bullish and thats when i'll sell.

I'd rather go long on companies and management I trust.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

neonbregna posted:

At least I didn't jump on ATHX...

I have a problem with not knowing how to dump losers. I've been holding NLY for a long time waiting and hoping it goes up to erase some of my thousands of dollars in losses. I'm the bagholder.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 22, 2015

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
If it makes you feel better, this is a super well documented phenomenon which affects almost all people.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

If it makes you feel better, this is a super well documented phenomenon which affects almost all people.

:looks at the SSYS sitting in my portfolio, come on little guy you can do it:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
feeling pretty smart picking up a bunch of CLNE about 40% ago. It's still trading well below its average, I love it at its current price of 7.2something and it kind of looks like there's a hype train building behind it. I think it'll continue to improve if oil prices continue to recover

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Any strategy for picking MLM pyramid scheme stocks? A person tried to get me to buy in as a distributor into lfvn (lifevantage) and while I definitely will not be doing it I figure why not make some money off these schmucks. They were a true believer and it was quite funny how far they were indoctrinated into this cult. This would be with money I wouldn't miss being burned in a fire.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Goofy poo poo on google finance right now:

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Goofy poo poo on google finance right now:

Looks like a glitch in decimal places. Gerdau is 3.40 and if you let the ticker go it'll correct itself within a few seconds, but refreshing the page shows it as 340.00 again.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Happened to something in my portfolio while I was looking at it. I was about to have a heart attack until I realized what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

neonbregna posted:

Any strategy for picking MLM pyramid scheme stocks? A person tried to get me to buy in as a distributor into lfvn (lifevantage) and while I definitely will not be doing it I figure why not make some money off these schmucks. They were a true believer and it was quite funny how far they were indoctrinated into this cult. This would be with money I wouldn't miss being burned in a fire.

they're all terrible

if there is any justice in the world, the FTC will shut down Herbalife's distribution model and the whole sector will crash