Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I could use some help understanding when this happens:

Acne Rain posted:

Might try Rocko's pack at some point but for some reason I get an error message trying to install it on technic, saying it's offline.

Could this be Dropbox getting angry or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Are there any good modpacks that have Mariculture (1.7.10 version) in them? I've had fun playing it in Regrowth but I want to see how Mariculture works normally.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Desperate Character posted:

Are there any good modpacks that have Mariculture (1.7.10 version) in them? I've had fun playing it in Regrowth but I want to see how Mariculture works normally.
Modderation has it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Personally, I think a terrain generator should be able to handle some of this level of sadism, but not in good conscience if they're just exposing the vanilla generators for now. They become very difficult to write if a generator has to cut itself short at a chunk boundary while simultaneously being aware of prior elements in existing chunks that it might have to extend into the chunk it's currently generating.

so why not make it do say a 1 chunk extension so the largest lake would be 3x3 chunks....

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

so why not make it do say a 1 chunk extension so the largest lake would be 3x3 chunks....

That would trigger the runaway condition. As soon as generation steps into a brand-new chunk, the terrain generator will trigger. This will then potentially trigger more lakes to generate, which will extend into new chunks, which will cause even more lakes to potentially get generated. This is all happening without the first lake having actually finished generating. Hell, it probably hasn't even left the first block it attempted to touch.

Just to reiterate, that's apparently the vanilla lake generator's code, and the main mitigation was that lakes were generally rare. I'm the one trying to make them common enough that there's a high chance the lake generator will run off like that.

Having thought about it during the day, the way I could see it getting done is to have the generator review where lakes were attempted in previous chunks and extend from that. If the generator for determining this stuff could be deterministic based on chunk coordinates, this could be possible. There are, however, a ton of little details that makes me doubt it's worth it. For one, the coordinates the random generator would provide are not necessarily where the feature was generated. For lakes, it will shoot down from that start coordinate until hits a surface in which it can even consider a lake.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out why I don't see any of these lakes show up in The Nether in BFSR. I am trying to build a CoFHCore/CoFHLib combination with some log messages that will tell me where the lakes are showing up and what is causing them to be rejected when they don't. This is pretty nasty to do: all kinds of other stuff is crapping out from trying to insert my hatchet-job CoFHCore.jar into the mods folder in place of a normal release. I'm not well-versed on this stuff.

It might still be smart to put some catches in the CoFH generator to notice runaways and at least report on them in a cogent way. However, I suspect only a handful of us idiots are trying to abuse the generator, so I don't know how much it's worth bolting everything down. Generally, if I find a little thing like an optional argument ending up being mandatory, I've been just doodling a fix to send upstream eventually. I'm considering it as paying it forward.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 23, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That would trigger the runaway condition. As soon as generation steps into a brand-new chunk, the terrain generator will trigger. This will then potentially trigger more lakes to generate, which will extend into new chunks, which will cause even more lakes to potentially get generated. This is all happening without the first lake having actually finished generating. Hell, it probably hasn't even left the first block it attempted to touch.

Just to reiterate, that's apparently the vanilla lake generator's code, and the main mitigation was that lakes were generally rare. I'm the one trying to make them common enough that there's a high chance the lake generator will run off like that.

Having thought about it during the day, the way I could see it getting done is to have the generator review where lakes were attempted in previous chunks and extend from that. If the generator for determining this stuff could be deterministic based on chunk coordinates, this could be possible. There are, however, a ton of little details that makes me doubt it's worth it. For one, the coordinates the random generator would provide are not necessarily where the feature was generated. For lakes, it will shoot down from that start coordinate until hits a surface in which it can even consider a lake.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out why I don't see any of these lakes show up in The Nether in BFSR. I am trying to build a CoFHCore/CoFHLib combination with some log messages that will tell me where the lakes are showing up and what is causing them to be rejected when they don't. This is pretty nasty to do: all kinds of other stuff is crapping out from trying to insert my hatchet-job CoFHCore.jar into the mods folder in place of a normal release. I'm not well-versed on this stuff.

It might still be smart to put some catches in the CoFH generator to notice runaways and at least report on them in a cogent way. However, I suspect only a handful of us idiots are trying to abuse the generator, so I don't know how much it's worth bolting everything down. Generally, if I find a little thing like an optional argument ending up being mandatory, I've been just doodling a fix to send upstream eventually. I'm considering it as paying it forward.

I was thinking some kind of limitation with a flag stating that the chunk currently being generated is an extension of an initial lake so no new lake generation to be done in this chunk.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Is there a consensus on what the best minimap is right now?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Umbra Dubium posted:

Is there a consensus on what the best minimap is right now?

Journeymap. Automatic cave and entity mapping, it even shows caves that you haven't found yet, and a nice waypoint system. I add it to any modpacks that don't have it.

Edit:
Example fullscreen

Example minimap

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 23, 2015

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Is Journeymap still the only ingame minimap where you can open up a large map of all the land you have explored

because I remember literally every other one just being a minimap of the surroundings in the top right corner

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Blind Duke posted:

Is Journeymap still the only ingame minimap where you can open up a large map of all the land you have explored

because I remember literally every other one just being a minimap of the surroundings in the top right corner

mapwriter (part of Opis now) will do that too, but it's kinda clunky in a lot of other ways. It doesn't have visible beacons in the main view, the system for grouping waypoints is awkward (they often wound up in the wrong one for me, you have to rotate through groups), anything you uncovered in a play session gets lost if the client crashes, and so on. JourneyMap is the one I prefer by far now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I was thinking some kind of limitation with a flag stating that the chunk currently being generated is an extension of an initial lake so no new lake generation to be done in this chunk.

I can see that working. It would be like a re-entrant check. For lakes, that would probably be good enough. It seemed like skyboy did not really want to get into that business of having all these extra bits of paranoia, since as far as he was concerned, it was users providing crazy arguments causing all the problems. I did not really get his blessing for submitting patches to try to reinforce at least the sections that blew me up. At the end of the day, I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

I think the runaway problem is also what I saw with a few of the other generators. Namely, I think I had the same problem with geodes. My first attempt in BFSR to get more lava was using the old-fashioned CoFH ore generator, but with lava blocks. The effect was very strange since it did not flow correctly. When I saw the new CoFH generator rules, I figured a geode could work, because I could ensure the lava was wrapped in a crust, and it would flow correctly once the crust was broken. I think I was getting the same error I see with lakes because I was trying to generate many geodes in a chunk at a time. As opposed to lakes, I could see people wanting to have multiple geodes in a chunk at a time; maybe that's how they want to generate all their ores! I figured some stuff must do this right. Doesn't MystCraft have something about orbs? Should I even mention MystCraft?

Anyways, my problem is still in getting the lake generator to clearly work with the BFSR level of existing ore insanity. When I dropped in an instrumented build of CoFHCore and CoFHLib last night into an existing BFSR mod folder, I got stuck with "NoClassDefFoundError: ic2/api/recipe/IRecipeInput" seemingly coming in from FML. Who would have thought trying to put a build of the HEAD of a fundamental mod library into an existing mod distribution might cause problems? :saddowns:

Come to think about it: what's the deal with CompatIC2? I don't even have the mod installed. Why does a whole bunch of IC2 compatibility checks dominate the loading process?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Blind Duke posted:

VoxelMap has a large map as well.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can see that working. It would be like a re-entrant check. For lakes, that would probably be good enough. It seemed like skyboy did not really want to get into that business of having all these extra bits of paranoia, since as far as he was concerned, it was users providing crazy arguments causing all the problems. I did not really get his blessing for submitting patches to try to reinforce at least the sections that blew me up. At the end of the day, I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

I think the runaway problem is also what I saw with a few of the other generators. Namely, I think I had the same problem with geodes. My first attempt in BFSR to get more lava was using the old-fashioned CoFH ore generator, but with lava blocks. The effect was very strange since it did not flow correctly. When I saw the new CoFH generator rules, I figured a geode could work, because I could ensure the lava was wrapped in a crust, and it would flow correctly once the crust was broken. I think I was getting the same error I see with lakes because I was trying to generate many geodes in a chunk at a time. As opposed to lakes, I could see people wanting to have multiple geodes in a chunk at a time; maybe that's how they want to generate all their ores! I figured some stuff must do this right. Doesn't MystCraft have something about orbs? Should I even mention MystCraft?

Anyways, my problem is still in getting the lake generator to clearly work with the BFSR level of existing ore insanity. When I dropped in an instrumented build of CoFHCore and CoFHLib last night into an existing BFSR mod folder, I got stuck with "NoClassDefFoundError: ic2/api/recipe/IRecipeInput" seemingly coming in from FML. Who would have thought trying to put a build of the HEAD of a fundamental mod library into an existing mod distribution might cause problems? :saddowns:

Come to think about it: what's the deal with CompatIC2? I don't even have the mod installed. Why does a whole bunch of IC2 compatibility checks dominate the loading process?

Multiple geodes in one chunk seems excessive. Wouldn't they be really big?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
CoFH's standard generation algorithms are for vanilla-like generation. For the things you seem to need to do you need to implement your own algorithms, which can then be registered to CoFH if that is desired. Or, as skyboy suggested, you can always submit a PR for them to make them more robust. Here is an example generation algorithm which implements my own method of bypassing chunk overflow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Multiple geodes in one chunk seems excessive. Wouldn't they be really big?

I was going for something with a radius of 2-4 blocks. I guess technically that means the biggest one could have a diameter of half the width of a chunk, but I still wouldn't consider them to necessary by really big. Regardless, it was the quantity that was the killer. With so many crossing the edge of a chunk so often, it would run away.

Shukaro posted:

CoFH's standard generation algorithms are for vanilla-like generation. For the things you seem to need to do you need to implement your own algorithms, which can then be registered to CoFH if that is desired. Or, as skyboy suggested, you can always submit a PR for them to make them more robust. Here is an example generation algorithm which implements my own method of bypassing chunk overflow.

I was probably going to submit a PR for the dungeon generators, but I've been waiting for the weekend to verify I have an implementation that generally works better than the vanilla-like one. I have been so deadset on seeing them in The Nether that I don't know how well they generate overworld dungeons. Other stuff is mostly gravy.

Writing my own lake generator and plugging it in would probably be the easiest way if I really want my metal ponds. It would work for the effect I'd want in The Nether, but it would probably stink anywhere else.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Is ME^4 stable? I watched a few youtube videos and it includes Direwolf having to cheat quests and reset some dimension IDs, and I really don't want to do that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carados posted:

Is ME^4 stable? I watched a few youtube videos and it includes Direwolf having to cheat quests and reset some dimension IDs, and I really don't want to do that.

It's... not really stable. The version of Fluxed Crystals should be updated to fix some problems, and like you said there may be dimension issues. Plus the author appears to be a tool and won't update the modpack on ftb anymore, even though he could. Instead he's trying to update it on the Curse client which he can't even launch to check to see if it works. Also the Curse client apparently just randomly won't download bits of the modpack. Oh and he responds to questions in his thread with meaningless answers. He's managed to completely screw up the quests and has reset the rewards for all of them, except not really apparently because someone is getting mob heads as rewards? I don't know how this guy manages to do anything, honestly. ME^3 was very clever and straightforward, while ME^4 seems to be kindof... slapped together and convoluted. Item buffer (hidden chest) placement is almost completely random, you basically have to take a replacer to the walls to find all the stuff hidden around the base, and you have to find all of them eventually to complete all the quests, because some of the trophies are in random item buffers. I don't even like most of the quests because a lof of the things requested are useless (queen's gold for instance) or impossible to attempt until long after they're unlocked.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
So...yeah. :toot:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ak Gara posted:

:swoon:

What on earth does that do to your framerate?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Ak Gara posted:

I gotta say, that's fantastic.

You've had some terrible terrible ideas about Big Reactor design, but this totally more than makes up for it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I've not finished it yet as I still have a lot more lasers to build. Gonna have about 18 chunks worth of lasers, about 1880 in all, 2 pre-chargers per laser. Hopefully because there's not a single item duct or conduit anywhere, it won't be so bad.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You could cut down on tesseract use by slotting in conduits with the extract side set to roundrobin when going into a machine array. If you're really creative you could have a tesseract provide both power and input at the same time.

Wouldn't look as impressive but material efficiency would be immense.

EDIT: Oh hey, answered my implied question why you were going all tesseract.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

mechaet posted:

I gotta say, that's fantastic.

You've had some terrible terrible ideas about Big Reactor design, but this totally more than makes up for it.

There was nothing wrong with the 820% reactivity reactor. :colbert:

Mzbundifund posted:

:swoon:

What on earth does that do to your framerate?

5 fps

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 24, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
So when does everyone think Microsoft will set up a mod marketplace where they take 75% of the cut and modders won't even see a penny until they reach $400+ in sales?

Pretty sure the modding community in Minecraft will jump headfirst into any kind of money making scheme, regardless of how awful it would be for them.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Bel Monte posted:

So when does everyone think Microsoft will set up a mod marketplace where they take 75% of the cut and modders won't even see a penny until they reach $400+ in sales?

Pretty sure the modding community in Minecraft will jump headfirst into any kind of money making scheme, regardless of how awful it would be for them.

Probably not until Minecraft 2 or whatever the project MS develops themselves turns out to be.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

Uh, Mod makers are already charging 25 bucks a month for "beta access" through Patreon.

Compared to Minecraft modding, Valve is small time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Are you sure you don't mean fpm

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

Uh, Mod makers are already charging 25 bucks a month for "beta access" through Patreon.

Compared to Minecraft modding, Valve is small time.

So you're saying Microsoft is missing out on guaranteed "pay monthly for access" DLC models?! Why aren't they on this money making scheme now?!

I don't see why any company would pass that up. Just because Valve is small time doesn't mean it won't get worse more interesting.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I'm saying Modders won't share their filthy Patreon lucre (or Ad.fly pennies) with anyone no matter what.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Microsoft could send a few guys with a knife round to your house and I still doubt they'd make back the TWO POINT FIVE BILLION loving dollars they paid.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Ak Gara posted:

Microsoft could send a few guys with a knife round to your house and I still doubt they'd make back the TWO POINT FIVE BILLION loving dollars they paid.

I'd bet they're making good headway into that number already in merchandise sales alone. Minecraft toys and clothes are everywhere. Kids are eating it up. They've even got Lego sets now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Dumping 2.5 billion into Mojang was worth it. They have an asset (Mojang) that's valued at around 2.5 billion and are also making bank on mad merchandise sales. It's pretty good thing to do with 2.5 billion that'd have been sitting around doing nothing (apart from making some interest) otherwise. If Mojang starts losing value, that's fine too because Microsoft will just start using that as a tax write off.

Monetising mods is going to destroy modding communities for a while. I'm already seeing the equivalent of horse armor mods for Skyrim (player armor that you need to get via console still, GG idiot). I can only imagine how this would impact the Minecraft modding community (i.e not for the better).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm already seeing the equivalent of horse armor mods for Skyrim

Literally nothing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fortis posted:

Probably not until Minecraft 2 or whatever the project MS develops themselves turns out to be.

Yeah, Microsoft isn't going to touch Java hell with a 10 foot stick. Whatever monitization scheme they have cooking up is going to be integrated into their new engine, with Cloud-SupportTM(aka you can't run your own server, you can pay Microsoft for that privilege).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, Microsoft isn't going to touch Java hell with a 10 foot stick. Whatever monitization scheme they have cooking up is going to be integrated into their new engine, with Cloud-SupportTM(aka you can't run your own server, you can pay Microsoft for that privilege).

When that happens I will be sad. Good thing we have the technic launcher and old minecraft instances! Except I will be very sad when Technic finally disappears.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Itemducts aren't working for me, they don't have the blue and red input/output things on the end. Right clicking it cycles between no connection and a neutral connection. How do I fix this? Playing OMP-i.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You need to craft those separately and then attach them.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Sage Grimm posted:

You need to craft those separately and then attach them.

This scares me because I could imagine gregtech doing it

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Prokhor posted:

This scares me because I could imagine gregtech doing it

Except servos and filters are relatively cheap to make, have multiple tiers, work on both item and fluid ducts, and don't gently caress with the rest of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing the Direwolf20 pack and went to make a mining laser, only to find that it's been gregtech'd up in the past few years. I got everything together except for I apparently need an "iron turning blank" in a specific configuration that requires a bunch more machines. So is there anything else in the pack that lets me mine a chunk of blocks at a time?

Also is there anything like EE2's tool (can't remember the name) that I put a stack of blocks into and can build up a wall in one click?

• Locked thread