Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
imagine if your Schlongs costed 15$ for the PREMIUM Schlongs of Skyrim experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So at what point after introducing a useless trading card system (that you take a hefty cut from), an even more useless gem trading system (that you take a hefty cut from), and a system to force people to pay for mods (that you take a VERY hefty cut from) do you stop being a good company and start being an evil company?

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

dijon du jour posted:

So at what point after introducing a useless trading card system (that you take a hefty cut from), an even more useless gem trading system (that you take a hefty cut from), and a system to force people to pay for mods (that you take a VERY hefty cut from) do you stop being a good company and start being an evil company?

lol

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

a system to force people to pay for mods
Erm. No one is forcing you to do anything. Also it should be noted that it's not Valve who is selling the mod. Sure they're taking their cut, but it's the modders who decided to put their mod up for sale.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

It will be interesting to see how many modders will actually put any effort to making quality paid content versus how much low-effort garbage will be there. And also if Valve or the game devs make any effort to police the Workshop now.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

The Kins posted:

Can you name a Steam feature added in the last, what, three years that didn't go through a initial moshpit of blood and horror before slowly stabilising into something usable?

Steam Music Player?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They couldīve just put up a system for donating to modders. But no, they had to go the extra mile.

Who in their right mind would pay for some mediocre new virtual barbie house in a single player game?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The really funny thing about this is that already a bunch of these mods cost as much as Skyrim itself while it's on sale.

Edit: also that like half of the stuff is some weapon model or whatnot that you have to open up the console to actually use lol

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I can understand the thought process--compensate mod creators to give incentive for higher quality content--but Skyrim is a toxic wasteland of tits, dicks and crazies built on a ramshackle game that CTDs with a bad mod load order. It's a terrible guinea pig.

The cut Valve takes is unfair to the creator, no matter how little effort they put into the mod, and the value proposition to the consumer is all hosed up because full games can often be purchased for the same price as a campfire mod.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

the panacea posted:

Who in their right mind would pay for some mediocre new virtual barbie house in a single player game?

This does already describe a lot of typical DLC. Hell, Oblivion horse armor was like the original exemplar of bad DLC.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
All of this could be resolved by just having a donate option. That's it. Instead Valve had to go whole-hog and poo poo out one of the dumbest ideas they've had in a while.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

I can understand the thought process--compensate mod creators to give incentive for higher quality content--but Skyrim is a toxic wasteland of tits, dicks and crazies built on a ramshackle game that CTDs with a bad mod load order. It's a terrible guinea pig.

The cut Valve takes is unfair to the creator, no matter how little effort they put into the mod, and the value proposition to the consumer is all hosed up because full games can often be purchased for the same price as a campfire mod.

I'm assuming the cut here isn't just Valve; I doubt Bethesda would be cool with this entire thing without getting a piece of the action too, which is probably why the creators slice is so miniscule.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I was going to say that "female followers are a dime a dozen to find, why would I want to pay $5 for this specific one", until I realized that we could literally get a mod with a dozen followers for a dime.

And the mod creator would only see 2.5 cents out of that dime.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FutonForensic posted:

The 75% is actually split between the developer, publisher and Valve.

Im betting Bethesda takes 50% at least.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

People will buy the mods, most likely, even with free mods out there. That was what was going down in the Sims community for a long time. I'm not sure if pay sites are as common as they used to be there, but they were all over and it was some huge drama in the community when Pescado put up a bunch of pay site content for free download.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

MrBadidea posted:

I'm assuming the cut here isn't just Valve; I doubt Bethesda would be cool with this entire thing without getting a piece of the action too, which is probably why the creators slice is so miniscule.
That does make sense.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

Okay, yeah. This is just a greedy rear end in a top hat move by a company to commercialize something that only works because it's free.

Also, seriously? Only twenty five percent? Way to tank your hard work on a mod for loving pennies. No one's touching the ones up on the workshop now. :stare:

Oh, its even better than that. The modder gets 25% AND they only see any cash once their cut hits $100.

workshop payment faq posted:

Q. Is there a minimum revenue I must earn before I can receive a payment?
A. Yes. There are costs associated with issuing each individual payment as well as potential bank fees charged to you upon receiving money that make it prohibitive to pay out for small amounts of money. Therefore, we may hold your payment until a minimum of $100 payout is earned.

They're not seeing a dime til their mod earns $400, anything shy of that valve/bethesda is going to keep anyway.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq/

AzureSkye fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Simsmagic posted:

I was going to say that "female followers are a dime a dozen to find, why would I want to pay $5 for this specific one", until I realized that we could literally get a mod with a dozen followers for a dime.

And the mod creator would only see 2.5 cents out of that dime.

That looks strikingly like Uthgerd with different hair.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

AzureSkye posted:

Oh, its even better than that. The modder gets %25 AND they only see any cash once their cut hits $100.

They're not seeing a dime til their mod earns $400, anything shy of that valve/bethesda is going to keep anyway.

I feel like they deliberately set this up to crash and burn as some kind of warning, or Bethesda hates the Skyrim modding community so much it wants to destroy it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Crash74 posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850

lol they're only getting a 25% cut. Brilliant valve!

That's actually not Valve. The modders % cut is decided by the Publisher, which means that every workshop can have a different cut! Also the Publisher can decide to change the prices of any mod at any time, and can also force mods to be free if they want(presumably to keep Arthmoor from making the Unofficial Patches only available with money). The Publisher is also who creates mod bundles, they can bundle whichever mods they want, charge whatever they want for them, and are the ones who get to decide how the modders cut is distributed.

On the plus side, they removed the filesize restrictions for the Skyrim Workshop stealthily apparently.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 23, 2015

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
What if this is all a ploy by Bethesda/Valve to kill off the Skyrim modding scene before they release their joint-effort "Quality of Life DLC Pack" which is just an assload of mods ramshackled together? :tinfoil: And then they'll move on to kill most modding scenes before doing the same thing.

Honestly, I'd be okay with that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AzureSkye posted:

Oh, its even better than that. The modder gets %25 AND they only see any cash once their cut hits $100.

I give 5:1 odds that smaller mods start getting DMCA notices once they've earned $395.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kavak posted:

I feel like they deliberately set this up to crash and burn as some kind of warning, or Bethesda hates the Skyrim modding community so much it wants to destroy it.

How about both?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Keeshhound posted:

I give 5:1 odds that smaller mods start getting DMCA notices once they've earned $395.

the whole reason why they're getting a 25% cut is because the publisher and developer are also getting in that pot.

the reasons why people will get a DMCA is if they use something that they don't own as part of their mods such as Macho Man Randy Savage's audio

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Maybe I'll just keep sticking to New Vegas from now on.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Apparently the mod author can also set a percentage of Valve's cut to go towards the SkyUI guys, Blender, Nexus, or some modding sites I've never heard of(AFK Mods and Polycount).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zeron posted:

Apparently the mod author can also set a percentage of Valve's cut to go towards the SkyUI guys, Blender, Nexus, or some modding sites I've never heard of(AFK Mods and Polycount).

It would be cool if modders could choose have their own cut go to a charity of their choice.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Holy poo poo they are deleting posts quick on the steam forums.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

AzureSkye posted:

Oh, its even better than that. The modder gets 25% AND they only see any cash once their cut hits $100.

Jesus, I just skimmed that article and thought that Valve was the one taking 25%, which seemed reasonable.

That is just on an entirely different level hosed up. :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crash74 posted:

Holy poo poo they are deleting posts quick on the steam forums.

Gaben uber alles

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Kavak posted:

or Bethesda hates the Skyrim modding community so much it wants to destroy it.

Wouldn't you?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Eagerly tuning in, this is going to be fuckin' great.

Well it already is, but you know what I mean.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Soon Loverslab will be the only source of free Skyrim mods.

e; I don't really have a problem with paid mods in general though, but man this will be a mess.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 23, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OneDeadman posted:

the whole reason why they're getting a 25% cut is because the publisher and developer are also getting in that pot.

the reasons why people will get a DMCA is if they use something that they don't own as part of their mods such as Macho Man Randy Savage's audio

I was referencing accusations that have been leveled against Google doing something similar, but in regards to youtube advertising.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty much what Valve does and has done for years with regards to importing community content into Steam (market sales, trading cards etc), but people give them a pass every single time because they're stupid

Valve is an incredibly greedy company but they're smart about it in that the only people their greed actually affects are dumb idiots who buy into it. For people with actual thinking capacity who do not want to purchase mods for their video game, it has no bearing on you except being a funny trainwreck that you get to watch.

Or they don't destroy the livelyhood of game developers like EA and Activision did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gyrobot posted:

Or they don't destroy the livelyhood of game developers like EA and Activision did.

Valve doesn't publish the games, they just host them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty much what Valve does and has done for years with regards to importing community content into Steam (market sales, trading cards etc), but people give them a pass every single time because they're stupid

Valve is an incredibly greedy company but they're smart about it in that the only people their greed actually affects are dumb idiots who buy into it. For people with actual thinking capacity who do not want to purchase mods for their video game, it has no bearing on you except being a funny trainwreck that you get to watch.

i love that you are like honestly and genuinely outraged by this loving hilarious thing, because you are a goon child

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I think his last sentence basically states that it's hilarious and that only people emotionally invested in this give an actual poo poo. Not that he's mad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

i love that you are like honestly and genuinely outraged by this loving hilarious thing, because you are a goon child

Please stop following me around and accusing me of being mad at things you loser weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

I think his last sentence basically states that it's hilarious and that only people emotionally invested in this give an actual poo poo. Not that he's mad.

No don't you get it he said Valve is "greedy" that must mean he is seething with childish goon rage goons goony goon

• Locked thread