Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
So am I crazy or did Gillian Jacobs' voice change? She sounds a bit like her voice is constantly strained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

FeastForCows posted:

So am I crazy or did Gillian Jacobs' voice change? She sounds a bit like her voice is constantly strained.

Probably from yelling at her husband Garry Marshall.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Best Honda commercial I've seen all year. I hope they keep working to get rid of all that 'humor' they had in those crappy first few seasons so Community can truly get to new heights of product placement.

Ooh, what would happen if Toyota and Honda sponsored the same episode?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Are there any links to posts from previous threads where people complained for pages that Subway was advertised extensively as a season finale?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Takoluka posted:

Are there any links to posts from previous threads where people complained for pages that Subway was advertised extensively as a season finale?
Giving a cursory look over the immediate post-show chat in 313's thread, there is mostly just people saying they want to go eat Subway to support the show.

Most of us probably aren't going to casually buy a Honda this Friday, maybe that has something to do with it? :shrug:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Are people disappointed with the episode just because there was heavy product placement (understatement), or because having that product placement somehow necessitated having fewer jokes or less interesting character development? Because I believe that you could replace Honda with whatever fictional car manufacturer could exist in the show's universe and it would still be a great episode.

In fact, I think that having a real brand made it funnier because there was now also the metaplot of the show criticizing the very thing it was doing so shamelessly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was not disappointed in the episode. I found it humorous and engaging.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pwn posted:

Giving a cursory look over the immediate post-show chat in 313's thread, there is mostly just people saying they want to go eat Subway to support the show.

Goons: Level 7 susceptible for bad television.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Are people disappointed with the episode just because there was heavy product placement (understatement), or because having that product placement somehow necessitated having fewer jokes or less interesting character development? Because I believe that you could replace Honda with whatever fictional car manufacturer could exist in the show's universe and it would still be a great episode.

In fact, I think that having a real brand made it funnier because there was now also the metaplot of the show criticizing the very thing it was doing so shamelessly.

I think it would have been funnier if it was a real brand that wasn't sponsoring the show. :)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rexides posted:

It felt like the product placement wasn't actually jokes this time. It was as if they were just doing 100% sincere product placement, and that was meant to be funny, or ironic. But somewhere I felt like it crossed a line where they were no longer actively making fun of obvious product placement, and instead just doing totally straight faced product placement, with the expectation that you'd laugh at how silly it was that they were doing that.

Like, the framework of the episode was sort of making fun of advertising as a general concept, but would most of those specific Honda "jokes" have been any different if they were actually good-faith efforts to sell Honda products?

"The joke is that there is no joke" isn't a very clever joke.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This entire season feels bleh.

Its still better then a lot of other sitcoms out there but doesn't feel like Community. Harmon is trying hard to present this happy go lucky group of people for the most part, besides that one episode; when it was their dysfunction and dark tendencies that people gravitated towards. Sure we had that spiritual successor to the pen episode earlier this season but that even felt forced and contrived, we knew barely anything about these new members of the group and immediately thrown into the fire with their revelations. The whole product placement is just stupid, its still callous and shameless to showcase something so blatantly, making it ironic doesn't fix it. Also, Billy Zane was wasted, that entire silly gag about him "disappearing" has been done a million times.

I keep waiting for this season to get better but right now its passable for the most part, although the part with Frankie and the Dean in the latest episode was funny.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Been loving this season so far. Season five had some great stuff, but they've done exceptionally well considering the cast drop off. Frankie and Elroy are great and I kinda wish we had them from the beginning.

Do we know how many episodes total we're getting this season?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I signed up for a Yahoo screen account in my new Honda crv. The trunk space is the best this season so far. I turned off adblock just because I like how my Honda handles.

Seriously though, I am really happy with this season. It's totally on point.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Last Chance posted:

Do we know how many episodes total we're getting this season?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have adblock turned on and the episode inexplicably cut off after Chang's powerpoint presentation. Is this a common problem?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

XboxPants posted:

It felt like the product placement wasn't actually jokes this time. It was as if they were just doing 100% sincere product placement, and that was meant to be funny, or ironic. But somewhere I felt like it crossed a line where they were no longer actively making fun of obvious product placement, and instead just doing totally straight faced product placement, with the expectation that you'd laugh at how silly it was that they were doing that.

Like, the framework of the episode was sort of making fun of advertising as a general concept, but would most of those specific Honda "jokes" have been any different if they were actually good-faith efforts to sell Honda products?

"sort of making fun of advertising"? "totally sincere"? I don't understand how anyone could reach that conclusion when the entire A plot was about a couple that can only be together under the auspices of being subservient employees of a company. This wasn't a winking episode of "we know you like us so you'll deal with product placement if we do it a shrugging 'can you believe this' way" it was an episode where you saw a good couple broken up because of the demands of modern capitalism - and still managed to be funny.

The loving episode ended with a tear dropping on a Honda logo. Here's a fun game: name another "totally straight faced" example of product placement where tears on a company logo are involved. I am very rarely ok with product placement in shows but Community does it miles better than anyone else. How many other shows have episodes revolving around dealing with the ways advertisers try to reach us? None, because they are all doing the easiest thing which is let's have show characters use real products that fit the type of person we want to buy the product. Buncha fuckin' crybabies.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
I guess I'm in the minority again because I thought this episode was great.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
You people are all crazy. This episode was hilarious.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I need a gif of Frankie scolding and comforting the haters... I mean idiots.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ETB posted:

I need a gif of Frankie scolding and comforting the haters... I mean idiots.

Dammit, Frankie, the steel drum comment was a trap! :cripes:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

XboxPants posted:

It was as if they were just doing 100% sincere product placement

It was 100% sincere product placement. It was also 100% funny and 100% self-aware. It's not a zero-sum situation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honda and marketing is quite literally a drug that destroys a couple in this episode

Like you ever met a couple that are both addicts, especially when it's the same drug? it's exaggerated here but the stuff that Rick did at the end of the episode is what for-reals junkie couples do especially when one or both want to get clean- well gently caress it let's blow it OUT one last time, then we quit tomorrow or some poo poo like that

I mean this could not be any less of a flattering light they cast Honda in within the bounds of the episode, it's a metaphorical stand in for fuckin' heroin

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Toxxupation posted:

Honda and marketing is quite literally a drug that destroys a couple in this episode

Like you ever met a couple that are both addicts, especially when it's the same drug? it's exaggerated here but the stuff that Rick did at the end of the episode is what for-reals junkie couples do especially when one or both want to get clean- well gently caress it let's blow it OUT one last time, then we quit tomorrow or some poo poo like that

I mean this could not be any less of a flattering light they cast Honda in within the bounds of the episode, it's a metaphorical stand in for fuckin' heroin

I hadn't made that connection but it's a great point. I really loved this episode and it's total embrace of Honda and everything else made it what I love about Community.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

And Billy Zane was the white horse.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

XboxPants posted:

Every single line about Honda was a joke about the disconnect between the way advertisers speak and the way normal people actually talk.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lt. Danger posted:

Every single line about Honda was a joke about the disconnect between the way advertisers speak and the way normal people actually talk.

It makes me sad that one of my first thoughts after seeing the episode was "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

I've been on these forums for too long.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I just have to say this season has been killing it. Not as good as season 1/2 but waaay better than season 3/5, and the fact that apparently some people think this is season 4 quality just confirms my theory that the internet is full of stupid people

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It makes me sad that one of my first thoughts after seeing the episode was "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

I've been on these forums for too long.

Honestly, you could say that for anything.

"Bank Error in your favor!" "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

"Oh hey, a pretty bird is singing on the fence" "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

"Puppies!" "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

"World Peace!" "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

BambooEarpick posted:

I guess I'm in the minority again because I thought this episode was great.

No, you're in the majority. The minority just likes to bitch more vocally.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Frankie+Dean=best

Also, I am totally not getting the steel drums thing. Especially since they have such a blatant ADR duff when Jeff says it.

Looks like he's saying "animal rubs" or something.

Am I over/under thinking this? Am I just getting too old for these new-fangled shows!? :corsair:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan got confused and wrote the line as "kettle drums."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rexides posted:

I am leftist as gently caress and I still enjoyed this episode immensely. Product placement just happens in shows, and the way it was handled this episode was amazing.
It was executed pretty well but several comedies have done the "Hey look at this product placement, wink wink nudge, ha ha" joke before. I guess it still worked this episode but if I see that poo poo like one or two more times I'm going to be pretty sick of it.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

holttho posted:

Am I over/under thinking this? Am I just getting too old for these new-fangled shows!? :corsair:
He convinced her to play the steel drums in front of a crowd. I think that is reason enough in itself.

RE-episode 4 where the dean comes out of the closet as political. While the direction they chose wasn't perfect here, I did still appreciate that they didn't have him reveal all of his deanny sex fetishes. For one, I think those are best left to the imagination of the viewer. And second, they needed something that didn't relate to his sexuality--that was his whole point. He isn't just a gay dean. Not because that would have been too filthy and out of line for the show... well, maybe it would have been. But I did like how they tried to add more dimension to his character.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

teamcharlie posted:

Ooh, what would happen if Toyota and Honda sponsored the same episode?

Clearly, Toyota would sponsor City College.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

PotatoJudge posted:

Probably from yelling at her husband Garry Marshall.

Please, call him Garry.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

It was executed pretty well but several comedies have done the "Hey look at this product placement, wink wink nudge, ha ha" joke before. I guess it still worked this episode but if I see that poo poo like one or two more times I'm going to be pretty sick of it.

Well, that's kind of Community's entire raison d'etre. Other shows have used lampshading as a wink an a nod, whereas Community is about constructing a story around the lampshade.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can I ask a serious question?....Is Billy Zane really bald now?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

No, he shaved his head for a prestigious and career-making Yahoo Screen role.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This episode worked on many levels. The ad jokes were consistently funny, it was great for Britta, and I think it did a lot to acknowledge and embrace the new status quo- the fact that things are different without Troy, Shirley, and Pierce, and the people left have different lives.

And yeah, kinda love Frankie now. Though Paget Brewster won me over with the Drunk History she narrated ("Moth!")

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

FeastForCows posted:

They also seemingly cut her hair dye from the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
The worst thing in the episode was Paget Brewster pretending to play the steel drums. It's always super noticeable when actors are pretending to play instruments, but it's also completely understandable and fine.

• Locked thread