Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Cut off the rotten bits before cooking.

This is one of those things where if you just set it on a plate in front of me I'd probably love it, and then immediately feel ill once I learned what it was. Then I'd get seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chard posted:

This is one of those things where if you just set it on a plate in front of me I'd probably love it, and then immediately feel ill once I learned what it was. Then I'd get seconds.

Nope. Because, while you were feeling ill, I would have snagged all the remaining steak and eaten it.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

Cut off the rotten bits before cooking.

But then you would have thrown out all the PCOS Bill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Aged meat is pretty gross to think about but once you actually try it, you get over that real quick.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Anyone have ANY context on whatever the blistering green gently caress that is supposed to be? I got nothin'.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Anyone have ANY context on whatever the blistering green gently caress that is supposed to be? I got nothin'.

pizza slice dipped in batter for frying

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Samizdata posted:

batter dipped deep fried pizza.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

I wanna say it's nacho cheese. That or the most neon yellow batter ever.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Samizdata posted:

A slice of Little Caesar's HOT-N-READY cheese pizza post-mustard baptism.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Would.

I have low standards.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mouse Dresser posted:

Would.

I have low standards.

I would too. I just heard about the concept of battered and deep-fried pizza in another thread, and I knew for sure I would be able to dig up horrifying pictures of it. There weren't as many awful pictures of it as I had assumed, but that one stood out. It's so yellow.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I quite enjoy this channel for all of my deep fried needs:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCA7FB69499DB60D6

Some of it looks pretty drat good. Some of it... not so much.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I knew it'd be CultMoo before I clicked. Well done.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hope they dip their hands in the fryer, too.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
The struggle(plate) is real.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PubicMice posted:

nice tapeworm sandwich

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

ErIog posted:

I would too. I just heard about the concept of battered and deep-fried pizza in another thread, and I knew for sure I would be able to dig up horrifying pictures of it. There weren't as many awful pictures of it as I had assumed, but that one stood out. It's so yellow.

I drive for a wings delivery place. The boneless wings are the only thing we batter(the bones get breaded and steamed before frying), and for whatever reason, we add this god-awful unnatural 'egg yolk yellow' food coloring to the batter mix. It looks terrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Data Graham posted:

E: Especially ^^ yeah, if they're using actual butter that has to be warmed in order to spread without tearing the bread to poo poo. Who has that kind of time when getting ready for the bus? gently caress Italian restaurants that give you little refrigerated wrapped butter pats that you have to skewer over the little candle before you can put them on the cold bread that isn't cut through all the way.
In Australia we get this cool salted spreadable butter from NZ http://www.mainland.com.au/cheese-products/buttersoft/
It loving rocks, way better than any aussie or euro spreadable butter.
I only use regular unsalted aussie or euro butter in block/stick form for cooking.

E: I only butter bread/toast when nothing else is going on it, so plain bread slice, bread roll, or cinnamon and raisin roll/bun. Maybe an exception for toast with vegemite or jams/jelly. Or a fried/grilled sausage in a slice of bread (AKA aussie "hotdog"), but they're "open" and not a sandwich. Even burgers I don't butter (who does and if not then why does a sandwich need butter?)
If I'm making a sandwich with cheese, some other spread like mustard, sauce, mayo or anything spreadable, I don't use butter (or marg) at all.

poo poo, forgot the dates as I've been in hospital, so this is a really late reply :(

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Apr 24, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fo3 posted:

In Australia we get this cool salted spreadable butter from NZ http://www.mainland.com.au/cheese-products/buttersoft/
It loving rocks, way better than any aussie or euro spreadable butter.
I only use regular unsalted aussie or euro butter in block/stick form for cooking.

Why do you need special butter, why can't you just use a butter dish like a civilized country?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fo3 posted:

Even burgers I don't butter (who does and if not then why does a sandwich need butter?)
Sandwiches don't need butter, but burgers on buttered, toasted buns are delicious.

Content:

Yes, that is a burger on a donut with cheese (sorry, "cheez") on top.

One more:

Spaghetti-O and Vienna sausage aspic.

pookel has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Apr 24, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Wendy's hit a new low when Dave Thomas died and they started driving a ten-speed bike over the buns.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Antifreeze Head posted:

Wendy's hit a new low when Dave Thomas died and they started driving a ten-speed bike over the buns.

That tire set up is totally not a bike, it's probably scooter.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

pookel posted:

Sandwiches don't need butter, but burgers on buttered, toasted buns are delicious.

Content:

Yes, that is a burger on a donut with cheese (sorry, "cheez") on top.

One more:

Spaghetti-O and Vienna sausage aspic.

That second picture looks like something out of Lovecraft

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Fo3 posted:

Even burgers I don't butter (who does and if not then why does a sandwich need butter?)

Wisconsin. The butter burgers at Kroll's West across from Lambeau field are loving amazing but will also kill you super loving fast. Smash burgers with crispy edges, toasted buns, ketchup, raw onion, and a pat of butter. If you eat more than one a year, you qualify for an involuntary psych hold because you are obviously endangering your own safety.

e: I should say that they are also exorbitantly expensive for what they are but it's pretty much always going to sell, same as $7 beers inside the stadium.

Skinny King Pimp has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Apr 25, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

PubicMice posted:

Needs more ketchup. :yum:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

So here's a tumblr that has a few pictures of food from a military chowhall, and the bleak food served there.

http://sgt-chowdown.tumblr.com/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Wizard posted:

So here's a tumblr that has a few pictures of food from a military chowhall, and the bleak food served there.

We wouldn't be welfare Queen's without lovely food.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
There might be something wrong with my tastes, because all of those military meals look great to me. Not like fancy restaurant food, just like regular home cooking, but still pretty appetizing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pookel posted:

There might be something wrong with my tastes, because all of those military meals look great to me. Not like fancy restaurant food, just like regular home cooking, but still pretty appetizing.

It's generally OK but has a distinct lack of variety and it depends heavily in the staff being competent and not over salting it.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Those green beans are tragic. They look like they came out of a can that's been sitting on a shelf for twenty years.

The rest of the stuff looks pretty sad for professionally prepared food, but at least marginally edible.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Whoever planned those meals has seen too many Popeye cartons.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'll admit that they probably look more appetizing to me because I love raw spinach and would happily eat it at every meal in place of any other vegetable ever.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
A casserole made with tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and ground beef by cultists with a reality show. I bring you America.

quote:

Ingredients for the Duggar’s Tator Tot Casserole:
1lb ground beef, cooked
2lb bag of tator tots (frozen)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 12oz can of evaporated milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then layer the ground beef first and the tator tots second (frozen) in a 9×13 pan.

Mix the soup and milk together and pour them over the meat and potatoes.

Bake them in the oven for 1 hour!

Voila! A wonderful meat and potato dish. Just add a side salad and you are set to go!

Enjoy!
Walk with the King!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

Walk with the King!

That does indeed look like something Elvis might have appreciated, along with fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

pookel posted:

I don't know what sort of home cooking you're doing, but if those pictures remind you of it, I'm sorry for anybody that eats with you with any frequency.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That hash brown casserole is basically shepherd's pie, but replacing anything remotely vegetable in nature with a ton more salt and fat. Literally throwing any meat, potatoes and vegetables you have into a dish which goes into the oven at whatever degrees for who cares minutes, and the midwest still manages to gently caress it up.

Just...go two bays over and grab the frozen hash browns instead...

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

I don't know what sort of home cooking you're doing, but if those pictures remind you of it, I'm sorry for anybody that eats with you with any frequency.
My home cooking usually looks like this:

But I was thinking of what my dad used to make for dinner when I was a kid, in the '80s. Your basic American "1 meat + 1 vegetable + 1 starch" sort of meal.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Internet Wizard posted:

These meals are awesome because at least one thing looks really appetizing and distracts you from the pale mush around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Telegnostic posted:

Those green beans are tragic. They look like they came out of a can that's been sitting on a shelf for twenty years.

The rest of the stuff looks pretty sad for professionally prepared food, but at least marginally edible.

Your comment reminded me that in Orange Is the New Black, Piper Kerman described the pudding served at the jail as coming in cans labeled "Desert Storm". :barf:

• Locked thread