Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

What the gently caress is wrong with you, Bethesda.

E: What's Arthmoor saying about this? I need to read about his meltdown or something.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is going to get real messy. It won't be long before (hypothetical scenario) the Midas Magic guy decides to accuse the Apocalypse Magic guy of stealing all his ideas, and then what on earth happens.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously, what the gently caress was Bethesda thinking.

What's gonna happen to the USKP project now? Since Arth and co are releasing fixes for the game, does this mean they're gonna get paid to fix it?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Scyantific posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress was Bethesda thinking.

What's gonna happen to the USKP project now? Since Arth and co are releasing fixes for the game, does this mean they're gonna get paid to fix it?

I think someone asked on the USKP page how much future versions will cost and Arth replied "$0.00 usd" or something to that effect.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, that being said, I haven't actually updated the OP in a long rear end time (because I haven't played in a long rear end time). So if anyone like Agents or Lt.Smash or some other enterprising goon would like to re-do the OP with more up to date content, feel free to do so. I have a feeling we're going to need a new OP separating "paid" and free mods after this mess.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Something i'm not seeing discussed much right now about this is very important I feel. And that is that introducing profit motive to modding does much more than make some mods cost money. Right now despite a lot of infighting and rights issues we've seen already on the whole mods are interoperable, roughly compatible and share a lot of assets.

The tools we use for modding TES5EDIT, Loot, Wrye Bash, NMM, MO, Nifscope are all available for free. The underlying framework that makes much of modding work in game SKSE, SkyUI and its MCM, are all available for free. Skyproc patchers to patch compatibility on the fly, free.

I do not believe the ecosystem as it exists right now would exist if a profit motive had existed for mod authors from day one. If at every turn everyone is going to ask themselves what they are getting money wise about making features available fore free or if they should charge for their assets instead of just letting people use it. Indeed many mods that feature heavily in many a modlist simply cannot exist with that core idea.

Immersive Armors and Weapons, ARMONIZER, WEAPONIZER, etc. Those are all compilations of many other authors assets used with permission. Immersive Creatures makes heavy use of freely available modders resources for its creatures. so did Monster Mod before it. Half the house mods use premade meshes from the nexus. I could keep going.

Want to make a mod ? Better be willing to lay down some cash first, then be willing to share your potential profits with 5 other authors, thats after Valve and Bethseda have taken their cut.

Under those conditions I really don't see a modding community as we see it now existing for the next Fallout or Elders scrolls. We're going to see isolated incompatible bubbles especially if we are going to shackle ourselves to Valve for our management software.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Scyantific posted:

Welp, that being said, I haven't actually updated the OP in a long rear end time (because I haven't played in a long rear end time). So if anyone like Agents or Lt.Smash or some other enterprising goon would like to re-do the OP with more up to date content, feel free to do so. I have a feeling we're going to need a new OP separating "paid" and free mods after this mess.

I can't even update my mod pages regularly. Maybe Agents will do it?

And its never been a concern for me that the next beth game wouldn't have mods since mods have been so important in getting their games sold and keeping them alive. Hopefully this will work out like horse armor did where they will realize how dumb they were and will make the equivalent of Shivering Isles for money for modders. Till then gently caress em.

Tzarnal posted:

We're going to see isolated incompatible bubbles especially if we are going to shackle ourselves to Valve for our management software.

If we shackle ourselves to valve our game will always be broken because the workshop is a pos for managing mods anyway.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They've already opened Pandora's box, honestly. There's no scenario where they will be able move forward with any decision without driving away large swaths of the modding community, be it people who play the games, or the people who make the mods.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Noted this in the bad mod thread, but this is more appropriate... Since people are now charging cash money for things they "made", what happens in regards to the copyright junk they are inevitably reselling as their own? I can't imagine many of these highly talented kids built custom textures and such without the liberal use of Google images and stealing various things they like. Same goes for sound effects, or anything else.

Will this make Valve some sort of accomplice to these illegal activities, or do they have a magic clause where they can only collect money but not be help responsible if the content is bad?

Even basic IP stuff seems targetable, especially by a hungry Games Workshop. Somebody educate me on how this is all innocent fun now that dollar bills are floating around.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You guys do realize that modders aren't required to put mods on the workshop, and if they do they're not required to charge anything, right?

I think the whole situation has a lot of flaws but there's absolutely nothing apocalyptic or world-changing here. Modders will keep making free content because they're not stupid; they definitely see the reaction to this whole system the gaming community is having, and they realize that if they do this, they're not going to make any money, because nobody's going to buy. Modding isn't going to change, and this will at best be an avenue for budding game developers to get some extra scratch, and at worst be a failed experiment on the part of Valve.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Modders... because they're not stupid;

Hahahaha, no.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You guys do realize that modders aren't required to put mods on the workshop, and if they do they're not required to charge anything, right?

If you're a modder who makes really good mods (like Isoku), and you see a chance to take your hobby and turn it into a profitable venture, are you going to pass it up?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Orv posted:

Hahahaha, no.

The ones that end up trying this will make no money for their efforts. Other modders will adapt.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The ones that end up trying this will make no money for their efforts. Other modders will adapt.

The problem is that some of the most in-depth mods are made by insane egomaniacs, because that's (a majority of) the kind of person who puts two hundred hours into a free mod and then freaks out when anyone slights them or changes anything they did.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
This may be a dumb question, but if I have everything installed through MO, do I now have to pay money for already installed mods on launch or is my current install safe?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Where does it say that Valve/Bethesda get a 75% cut? I see a lot of discussion about it but no actual source.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I have everything installed through MO, do I now have to pay money for already installed mods on launch or is my current install safe?

You're fine. Keep the rars around though in-case any of the people who made them go crazy.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Now that I kinda calmed down and actually looked up the things about I'm kinda confused what we are so afraid of now.

I guess the idea that every rear end in a top hat will put a pricetag on their mods, but unless Nexus and other modsites follow suit (I don't think they are legally allowed anyway), this will never happen. The worst that could happen is that those mods will only appear on the workshop, but since it is still the workshop and the overall deal has been noted to be loving terrible, I don't think we are going to see the big mod migration any time soon.

What I don't know what the deal is with Nexus and donations, since I heard that they disallow crowdsourcing and I overall thought that asking money for mods is against the CK Terms of Service, because that seems like a much better alternative.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, if you've got mods you absolutely want to keep, make sure you download them right now or have backup copies of them and put them in a safe spot.

Anyone got any hosting for mod archives so we can keep it within the goon hive?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If they come for my Schlongs of Skyrim i'm committing seppuku.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
You may take my freedom, buy you will never take my dong.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's Chesko's (noted creator of Frostfall) thoughts on the whole thing. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s53/sh/3c4f3e29-9b4e-41cf-9a72-1b3ed9f70c62/c727dccbb3398aebb5946afac7faaaea

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Det_no posted:

Where does it say that Valve/Bethesda get a 75% cut? I see a lot of discussion about it but no actual source.

Here you go.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You really do believe people will leave Nexus to get barely anything on the Workshop?

Really?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I understand and respect his perspective here and don't fault him, but I don't make the kinda money that allows me to patronize modifications for video games stress free, and waiting three entire months as the alternative ensures that I'm likely never going to use Frostfall 3.0 or Last Seed. Which is a bummer.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Det_no posted:

Here. e:f,b

Earning Money posted:

The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Bholder posted:

You really do believe people will leave Nexus to get barely anything on the Workshop?

Really?

well 57 retards have already paid for Arissa - The Wandering Rogue so far today, so yes?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429561499
57 * 4.99 = 284 - 75% = 70 bucks in a day for a pile of poo poo mod*.
Also holy poo poo Valve and Bethesda are going to be bringing in truck loads of cash. And as soon as all the other developers see Bethesda raking in this kind of free cash they are all going to do it. r.i.p. all my total war stuff.

E: This could also mean free cash ten years after development stops with zero risk
EE: *Arissa - The Wandering Rogue for free its fine, but :laffo: if its worth money let alone 5 bucks.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bholder posted:

Really?

Not everyone, but there are already some mods that have made the switch. If you don't care about what random internet strangers think of you, there's no reason not to, since it's the difference between definitely making zero dollars and potentially making $100+, so why wouldn't you?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So this is how my interest in PC gaming dies...

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Crash74 posted:

well 57 retards have already paid for Arissa - The Wandering Rogue so far today, so yes?
57 * 4.99 = 284 - 75% = 70 bucks in a day for a pile of poo poo mod.
Also holy poo poo Valve and Bethesda are going to be bringing in truck loads of cash. And as soon as all the other developers see Bethesda raking in this kind of free cash they are all going to do it. r.i.p. all my total war stuff.

That uh...fine mod is also available for free. Unlike the Wet and Cold douchbag, this looks like the creator is using it as a ready-made donations page that is, uh, well shittier than just getting a gofundme or a patreon or something

This is loving stupid

edit: oh, nvm, it's an older version, mod creator still a dickbag, SSDD

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Crash74 posted:

57 * 4.99 = 284 - 75% = 70 bucks in a day for a pile of poo poo mod.

So Arissa is a legit Bad Mod? I was intrigued by the fact that it's a female follower mod with no marriage options, indicating that it might be neat and not creepy, but if it straight sucks I'll drop it.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Oh my god they're serious.

Somehow, seeing the trends in how modders saw themselves, with the hugboxes and the Nexus poo poo, I knew this day would come.

Monetizing the Workshop means the Nexus is gonna start similar poo poo, and it's all going to tumble down from here.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Chesko's model is probably the best we're going to get out of this, and is pretty well thought out given the circumstances. Timed exclusivity is great for people who already wait for new mods to get tested by the community.

Edit: These people are not going to say no to cash even if the community was built on modding being free and (somewhat) open. This sucks and I'm still wondering what the SkyUI and SKSE teams are going to say about mods that use their very important features. Add FNIS to that list, too.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

rear end-Haggis posted:

Oh my god they're serious.

Somehow, seeing the trends in how modders saw themselves, with the hugboxes and the Nexus poo poo, I knew this day would come.

Monetizing the Workshop means the Nexus is gonna start similar poo poo, and it's all going to tumble down from here.

I doubt the Nexus could do it. Bethesda endorses Steam Workshop because they get an apparently very large cut of all mod sales. The Nexus would get slapped with a lawsuit if they tried to allow users to sell mods without Bethesda getting a cut, and I doubt Bethesda would work with the Nexus since they've already got a deal with Valve.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

That uh...fine mod is also available for free. Unlike the Wet and Cold douchbag, this looks like the creator is using it as a ready-made donations page that is, uh, well shittier than just getting a gofundme or a patreon or something

This is loving stupid

edit: oh, nvm, it's an older version, mod creator still a dickbag, SSDD

A donate button would be fine (and would be a awesome feature) but this is a corporate money making scheme that costs them nothing and has zero risk but fucks everyone who likes to add stuff to there games.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

So Arissa is a legit Bad Mod? I was intrigued by the fact that it's a female follower mod with no marriage options, indicating that it might be neat and not creepy, but if it straight sucks I'll drop it.

It was unfinished the last time i heard, the story just abruptly ends. It never even actually started on the one game i tried her with, bugged i guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arissa is was good. But what, 3$? There's a ton of indie garbage on steam more interesting than one follower mod for less than that. Feels crap to see a whole load of ~wonderful gaming experiences~ get locked off, but if they think they can subsist on the sperg dollar alone then good luck to them I guess...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hey wanted to know what Arthmoor's take on this loving thing?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428829799&searchtext=

For extra laughs, take a look on the minimum price.

This will be a fun week for modding.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really wish SKSE or SkyUI would just tell mods they can't use their stuff if they charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bholder posted:

Hey wanted to know what Arthmoor's take on this loving thing?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428829799&searchtext=

Didact posted:

Severely disapppointed to you're name here Arthmoor. :(

Did I read somewhere that this whole thing was either Arthmoor's idea or something he heavily pushed for?

• Locked thread