Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm trying to write up a college class for my local community college district and I'd like to hear some opinions.

It's Introduction to Virtualization Technology and the idea is that it'll be a quick dip into the shallow end of the pool of a variety of platforms.

The main goal is that at the end of the course, a student will be able to run VMware Player or VirtualBox on their laptop, have a basic idea of virtualization concepts and have some basic familiarity with vSphere, HyperV and maybe XenServer.

Has anyone seen a class like this before or maybe a book that fits this general role? I've never done this kind of thing before so it'd be nice to not have to blaze my own trail.

Providing a Vagrantfile and walking them through a basic setup there would probably be a good idea. The

Also, feel free to ping me if you have a slow/empty slot on the syllabus you need to fill and you want a guest speaker or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know how to make a full screen program in general or Windows remote desktop in particular start on a secondary monitor? As it is now, I usually have to drag my ticket window to the secondary, or put the remote session in windowed mode and drag it to the secondary screen.

It looks like Ultramon can control which monitor a shortcut opens on, as long as the program launched follows normal conventions for getting preferred window positions.

Without that, I've often experienced shortcuts simply starting their program on the monitor the icon was at, i.e. place the icon on your desktop and position it on the secondary monitor.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know how to make a full screen program in general or Windows remote desktop in particular start on a secondary monitor? As it is now, I usually have to drag my ticket window to the secondary, or put the remote session in windowed mode and drag it to the secondary screen.

I use DisplayFusion, it;'s not free, but it is an excellent app. Quite often on offer in Steam.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm trying to write up a college class for my local community college district and I'd like to hear some opinions.

It's Introduction to Virtualization Technology and the idea is that it'll be a quick dip into the shallow end of the pool of a variety of platforms.

I do some work on the side for a continuing ed/night school program and the technology courses that fill up are almost always vendor specific. No one bit on "Accounting," but "Quickbooks 2014" was full within a week. The resources would also probably be better (i.e. I don't think you'd find a general virtualization primer that compared to Lowe's VSphere book, etc)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm currently evaluating different network management and monitoring packages, and one of the candidates just wasn't able to pull the data we needed out of the box. I mentioned that this could be a deal-killer (and it would be) if we couldn't see this data.

So now I'm sitting here, having turned over my RDP session into the test server over to one of their devs and he is literally building a custom poller right before my eyes. I'm talking serious SNMP Wizardry here (at least to me). Add an OID, commit, test poll, move to next OID. And there's no hunting or poking around either, he's zeroing in on exactly what he needs almost immediately every time. I guess when you have expertise, this is how it looks to people who don't.

I really need to sit down and learn SNMP beyond translating Trap OIDs on an SNMP trap receiver.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The company I work for is being acquired out of the blue by a competitor. I'm fine in the short term, and would probably make the cut to the new organization, but drat if this doesn't have me worried about needing to get out now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skipdogg posted:

The company I work for is being acquired out of the blue by a competitor. I'm fine in the short term, and would probably make the cut to the new organization, but drat if this doesn't have me worried about needing to get out now.

Usually, I'd agree with you based on going through a major dismantling and sale once before, but get the lay of the land first. My current job saw my division purchased by a company looking to expand into the services and products we provide with very short notice some time ago, but I'm damned if morale didn't shoot through the roof. It was a very logical acquisition for them in hindsight. You may find the purchase is a shot in the arm, especially if their vision aligns with yours.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

flosofl posted:

Usually, I'd agree with you based on going through a major dismantling and sale once before, but get the lay of the land first. My current job saw my division purchased by a company looking to expand into the services and products we provide with very short notice some time ago, but I'm damned if morale didn't shoot through the roof. It was a very logical acquisition for them in hindsight. You may find the purchase is a shot in the arm, especially if their vision aligns with yours.

Agreed.

Company I work for was recently entertaining offers from huge hosting companies but decided to back out and stay independent. Many were upset at the thought. Many, including myself, were looking forward to the bloated middle/senior management getting gutted and replaced with people who actually have a long term vision/goal. But, who knows what would have actually happened.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The last time my company was purchased it worked out really really well... this time though... I'm not so sure.

The acquisition made the news yesterday, not really allowed to talk about it but ya'll can probably figure it out... one big tech company buying another with some competing products.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The main goal is that at the end of the course, a student will be able to run VMware Player or VirtualBox on their laptop, have a basic idea of virtualization concepts and have some basic familiarity with vSphere, HyperV and maybe XenServer.

Has anyone seen a class like this before or maybe a book that fits this general role? I've never done this kind of thing before so it'd be nice to not have to blaze my own trail.

VMware had an online presentation they did as part of training for the VCA certs. It was generic with emphasis on VMware technology, but it might help you out with how to present the material, or even what material to present.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skipdogg posted:

The last time my company was purchased it worked out really really well... this time though... I'm not so sure.

The acquisition made the news yesterday, not really allowed to talk about it but ya'll can probably figure it out... one big tech company buying another with some competing products.

If you're talking about <the one> buying <the other one> then yeah I would probably be thinking about getting out, too.

EDIT: In case I was right and it would cause issues.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 23, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Should have room now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Negative :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Radium :argh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hm, I guess I had a lot of bonus space as a mod, because I removed 2 pages worth. Slash and burn time, I suppose.

EDIT: OK, totally emptied out.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 23, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What news sites do you all follow for tech news? I should probably start keeping up with that sort of stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

Providing a Vagrantfile and walking them through a basic setup there would probably be a good idea. The

Also, feel free to ping me if you have a slow/empty slot on the syllabus you need to fill and you want a guest speaker or something.

This is pretty neat, I've been playing around with this today. Maybe we should talk more about it in the virtualization thread but I'd like to hear more about what it does and why it's useful.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would second the notion to stick to one technology stack primarily. Talking about the others and maybe showing some differentiators and such is very worthwhile. Sticking to one stack will give the students to ability to actually use one product and get some familiarization with it rather than trying to learn a bunch at the same time. This is basically the same rationale for Intro To Programming classes choosing one language. Let's not confuse them with 3 different syntaxes and such, teach them the concepts within one language and make sure they understand the difference between a concept and the implementation within that specific language.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As far as literature is concerned, The Register has a short ebook out called A Brief History of Virtualization. It travels back to its invention in mainframe-land and up to modern day. Might help get the theory down. It's a quick, and pretty amusing read.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is pretty neat, I've been playing around with this today. Maybe we should talk more about it in the virtualization thread but I'd like to hear more about what it does and why it's useful.

Vagrant is the bees knees. It's great for many of the same reasons config management (Puppet/Chef etc) are great. You can define exactly how something--in this case, a VM or group of VM's--should look in an easy to read text file. And commit it to source control and share it with others, so they can create the exact same environment. Run "vagrant up" and it will build the right thing in the right way, every time.

It's a neat way to demo applications. Build up a Vagrant box with your app and all of its dependencies preinstalled, and distribute that + a Vagrantfile. Then a user can boot it up and have a fully functional sandbox in seconds. And if they break something, it's just a "vagrant destroy && vagrant up" away from being rebuilt good as new.

Where it really gets interesting is using it to provision an environment for your company's development teams that is identical to production. Build up a box using the same config management scripts you use on your servers, and distribute that to the dev team. Now with a simple "vagrant up" they have a local VM they can SSH into with all of the proper configs and packages to do their job, instead of having to follow some awful 500 point checklist on your wiki that's 18 months out of date anyway. And again, it's disposable, so if they break it badly they just blow away the VM and rebuild.

There are also plugins to let it boot the VM as an AWS instance, or OpenStack instance, or a Docker container, instead of locally in VirtualBox or whatever. It's pretty drat slick and once you start thinking about it, there are a lot of use cases.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Bonus for your students: if VMware player finally does nested virt, you can give them a vagrantfile that does everything they need for class.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm gonna figure this Vagrant thing out over the weekend. Looks like a good tool.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I've never been on the acquired side of an acquisition, but I can comment on the other side. I work for mid size community bank, and we've acquired 7 other smaller financial institutions in the past ~7 years. In those acquisitions, the only IT people who have lost their jobs feel into one of three categories.

1) someone who was an "IT Manager" just because no one else could do it.
2) someone who wan an IT manager that we knew would be resistant to change
3) a jerk

If you did not fall into one of these categories, you were retained. So basically, if you did actual work and didn't cause problems, we kept you on. It works out well that way for a number of reasons, but two that come to the top of the list are that we still have to accomplish things, and it is bad for morale to just lay off people when you are the new guy acquiring them. So my advice is that if you are in management, look for another job. If you are staff, be cool.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

Bonus for your students: if VMware player finally does nested virt, you can give them a vagrantfile that does everything they need for class.

Player does do nested virt these days.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Sometimes work is hard, you should always do what makes you happy.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 15, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
:justpost:

It's good for you to write this kind of thing out, it helps you transform the whirling emotions in your head into something more manageable.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

insidius posted:

If I were to make a rather large post regarding a subject that was covered here fairly recently (being overworked) would that be considered uh, bad form? I was thinking of giving my perspective of being in such a situation. The how, the why, the outcome, the moral of the story etc.

I would like to read your rather long post.

I've been slowly working on putting myself and my family at a higher priority than Work. It's effort, especially since I grew up in a nasty environment where The Job was held in utmost regard. The blog post about overworking a bit back hit close to home.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I was already looking for a new job when I read that devops blog post about overworked people committing suicide, but I did another couple hours of job hunting immediately afterwards.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Right after you RDP (usually I do win+r "mstsc", hostname, enter) you can move the window with win+arrow keys. If your secondary monitor is to the right, for example, tapping win+right arrow key twice will move it over there. You can also use win+up to 'fullscreen' (which might not work with mstsc depending on the resolution you configured it to use), and win+down to 'detach' from fullscreen.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

If I were to make a rather large post regarding a subject that was covered here fairly recently (being overworked) would that be considered uh, bad form? I was thinking of giving my perspective of being in such a situation. The how, the why, the outcome, the moral of the story etc.

I am just not sure its entirely appropriate but given the day I am having, I feel that sharing It could well prevent someone from making the same mistakes I did. Perhaps its best that I just find some anonymous blog to post it too rather than subject people to some huge, ten paragraph wall of text.

It could be best to wait for a day where I have not spent the last fifteen minutes crying at my desk while trying to hide it from people walking past to be honest. Perhaps not in the best emotional state to be recounting how I got here.

At the very least I could say that if you work a toxic role, where the demands on your time just continue to eat more and more of what should be YOUR life, where the requirements being asked of you just continue to grow with no assistance, no sign of things changing despite the contributions you make and you find yourself thinking "I can change this/I just need to work harder/I just need to try more" and you are putting off leaving for that reason, I mean specifically in cases where you know deep down, its not going to get better, your company is not going to hire more staff, they are not going to send you to training, you are not going to get that annual leave approved, that sort of thing.

Go, now. Walk right in, take someone with you for support and submit that resignation and never look back. Do not spend another week, month, year thinking "Well I know I have to go but I really need to just help them do X/Y/Z".

It is not your problem, do not destroy your life for this. Look after you, think about your life, your health, your success.

I can really not stress this enough, if you are in this thread right now and you are struggling with something like this please, leave. Do not put it off any longer. Weeks turn into months, months turn into years and you are paying for it with your life. Its not worth the extra twenty thousand they will try and give you to continue to work you until you either drop dead or finish it yourself. Its just not. Read this post, believe me when I say its not worth it and make one of the best decisions you will ever possibly make in your life. If I could believe that I have prevented even one person from going down the same path I have and ending up where I am, well at the very least it might stop me from breaking into tears again.

My helpdesk guy got canned last week after a long, documented history of performance issues. The two weeks I've been covering helpdesk as well as sysadmin have me back in a spot where I feel exactly as you do, dreading each day.

Post, comrade. A great philosopher once said "Shout, shout. Let it all out. These are the things I can do without. Come on, I'm talking to you. Come on!"

If nothing else it helps us help you. I've been lurking the Ticket Came In thread since I think 2010 and many goons' careers/lives have been improved starting from an innocent venting thread. Just don't post anything that someone could use to tie back to you and you're golden.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Woo! I deployed an AWS instance using Vagrant! Even better, I can actually connect to it with SSH!

I think this is a neat sequence:
Create VM with VirtualBox
Create VM using Vagrant to control Virtual Box
Create VM in Amazon Cloud using Vagrant

I'm going to keep working on this but it looks like the pieces are there to create a foundation where you could potentially do something useful.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Finally got off my rear end and used AutoLab to create an entire virtual infrastructure in Workstation (DC, 3 hosts, vCenter, vMA, NAS, Router, Veeam One, and Veeam Backup and Replication) and actually had fun doing it. Fortunately my desktop system has 32GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD so it was easily able to handle all the VMs. Currently sitting at about 60% utilization for memory, so next up are some Win7 machines so I can play around with DRS and HA.

Haven't been this giddy about anything tech related for a long time. Feels good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Our payroll system has been especially obstructive lately and people are getting stern emails to get their project codes logged even though people can't get in no matter what they do.

One guy got salty with the manager asking to get their stuff in on an email thread with other managers on it. Layoffs are next month dude and you're going to drop the gloves over this :cripes:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

skooma512 posted:

Our payroll system has been especially obstructive lately and people are getting stern emails to get their project codes logged even though people can't get in no matter what they do.

One guy got salty with the manager asking to get their stuff in on an email thread with other managers on it. Layoffs are next month dude and you're going to drop the gloves over this :cripes:

Dude, ours too. Suddenly we don't have access to log basically any of our client-specific work and you have to track down the one guy who maintains the payroll system and have him manually open THAT client back up to our team. And they'll only do it on a per-client basis. And if our time isn't logged by x, it gets reported up up up to the c-suite. FML.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have been working since last week on getting servers ready with next month's release of our software for a large client they are trying to woo into sticking with our platform when we just put out a release for our other customers the very same week. Freaking awesome deploying untested software with infrastructure changes and going back and forth and redeploying. Finally I figured out why the automatic deployment script wasn't working after a week of rebuilding and updating 3rd party software settings etc for other reasons. Then they finally decide next month's release isn't good enough and they want to try the version going into prod, which is a patch of a release I just deployed. So Basically I spent over a week tinkering with next months version a month early to find out they don't like it.

Normally this job is pretty chill and things happen when they can happen, but this is what large sums of potential money can do. Good news is that after today its the cut-off date and the customer decides which way they want to go and I am going to Vegas next week for vacation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

JHVH-1 posted:

Good news is that after today its the cut-off date and the customer decides which way they want to go and I am going to Vegas next week for vacation.

Interop?
I'll be there too.

Anyone else going to be in Vegas?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Interop?
I'll be there too.

Anyone else going to be in Vegas?

Actually my sister is getting married next weekend. So its sort of a family trip. My company is too small to send me around to go to conferences. They are willing to pay for ansiblefest tickets at least, but I live nearby in NJ.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ok I've never been on call before until this weekend. I get that answering the phone is part of it and that's cool, but I was told I need to be checking the queue every 30mins to make sure there aren't any emergencies happening. Is this pretty normal? Seems kind of retarded to me and I straight up told them I'm not checking poo poo overnight but will answer the phone if someone calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

Ok I've never been on call before until this weekend. I get that answering the phone is part of it and that's cool, but I was told I need to be checking the queue every 30mins to make sure there aren't any emergencies happening. Is this pretty normal? Seems kind of retarded to me and I straight up told them I'm not checking poo poo overnight but will answer the phone if someone calls.
Our on call involves having your cell phone set as the on call forwarder number (so it's not published or anything, but people can get to it through our voicemail system) and then watching tickets and responding to them between 7:30am and 12:00pm on Saturday morning. This can be done from home and our response SLA on Saturday morning is 15 minutes. We compensate a minimum of 1.5 hours WORKED (so it is overtime eligible), or the actual number of hours worked, whichever is higher. Generally speaking, it ends up being about 30 minutes of work, but you obviously have to stay reasonably close to a computer. Most of our guys use it as an excuse to play video games without interruption from their wives/girlfriends.