Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A toggle that toggles whether or not to show the toggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When I leave the range of my home Wi-Fi, my Note 4 pops up a menu of available Wi-Fi networks. Is there any automatic way to stop that from happening? I eventually turn Wi-Fi off, but I don't need a pop up showing other networks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444430064"]
When I leave the range of my home Wi-Fi, my Note 4 pops up a menu of available Wi-Fi networks. Is there any automatic way to stop that from happening? I eventually turn Wi-Fi off, but I don't need a pop up showing other networks.

There should be an option in the Wifi Settings that turns off Wifi notifications.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I can't stop laughing at this. I keep imagining a nasally voice warbling about user-replaceable battery and SD card slots and having the ability to turn literally anything on or off at will and it's like Samsung took all of that XDA shittery, boiled it down to a cheese-smelling syrup, and made a phone out of it. Look at all those goddamn toggles and poo poo, loving christ. I half expect them to include a toggle for subtitles in the media player app.

This is toned down Touchwiz

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RVProfootballer posted:

This is toned down Touchwiz

That's not toggling my laughter off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kri kri posted:

Which car mount should I get for my droid turbo? I have a 2009 civic. I am willing to do dealextreme or ebay, just not willing to spend 60+ on this proclip thing. Cheers!

Oh I need one for a 2012 civic and a samsung s5 for my WIFE.

I've had this for over a year now, and I really like it. It comes with two plates of magnetizable metal, but I found my Nexus 4 didn't need them. And since I'm actually going to be moving to my parents' Verizon plan this weekend, I also today discovered that the Turbo sticks to it pretty well as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hooah posted:

I've had this for over a year now, and I really like it. It comes with two plates of magnetizable metal, but I found my Nexus 4 didn't need them. And since I'm actually going to be moving to my parents' Verizon plan this weekend, I also today discovered that the Turbo sticks to it pretty well as well.

Cool thanks.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Lblitzer posted:

There should be an option in the Wifi Settings that turns off Wifi notifications.

I already unchecked Network Notifications, but that seems to be something else (probably when it scrolls across the notification bar that an open network is available). Can't see anything else in the Wi-Fi Advanced menu that would help me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

A toggle that toggles whether or not to show the toggles.

This is like the meetings I have at work, which are strictly to determine what we'll discuss in another worthless meeting in an hour.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

thebushcommander posted:

Unfortunately none of that is on the S6, can't even 2 finger swipe to see all of the toggles etc.

These are all quick toggles available on my S6 (edge). There is no multi-window toggle, there is no option that I have found in the settings menu to disable it either. The version of TouchWiz on the S6 seems to be vastly dumbed down compared to other Samsung phones which is good overall, but it seems a lot of options were left out. The multi-window thing for me at least isn't a problem at all, for my gf I think it's because she's used to how iOS works and on a smaller screen as she upgraded from a 5S.

Haha so they left in the toggle for smart stay, which you'd never turn off, and took out the toggle for multi window? I guess their idea of toning down Touchwiz is axing features at random.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Is there some way to change that awful light blue color for the notification drop down panel? I just got the Verizon note 3 lollipop update and my eyes are burning.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

The Spookmaster posted:

Is there some way to change that awful light blue color for the notification drop down panel? I just got the Verizon note 3 lollipop update and my eyes are burning.

Changing the theme seems to be the only way to do this.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, for those who were used to it on the left was it tolerable after a period of T
transition or no?

Also, does the Tylt Vu have the ability to mount to the standard hole pattern on proclip mounts or strictly suction cup? I have one of the proclip mounts that bolts on my frame and would prefer not to remove if it I can still utilize it.

I don't really notice button order.

The Tylt Vu needs the proclip ball adapter, but the socket it has is too wide for the standard ball to hold tightly, but it does secure loosely (i.e. wouldn't tip unless you were driving over lots of potholes). I suppose you could put some sheet padding or rubber band in it to get it to hold tightly.

Whichever way you decide to go with the proclip, realize that the Tylt Vu is very bulky. The proclip "compatible with my car" clipped to the side of the console right by my gearshift, and the Tylt Vu literally blocked shifting.

kri kri posted:

Which car mount should I get for my droid turbo? I have a 2009 civic. I am willing to do dealextreme or ebay, just not willing to spend 60+ on this proclip thing. Cheers!

Oh I need one for a 2012 civic and a samsung s5 for my WIFE.

I recommend iOttie Easy Flex 3 for non-6" phones. Easy Flex Wireless Qi is a good mount that roughly holds the same size and does wireless charging (which Turbo supports).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Spookmaster posted:

While their software leaves a lot to desire, Samsung makes great hardware. I always recommend people buy a mediocre product and soup it up with a custom rom. You'll end up with a much better experience than just buying a good phone and not modifying it.

Try throwing the latest cyanogenmod on it and report back with results. ☺

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Has anyone posted about the lollipop easter egg? At least on my note 4, if you go into the phone's about information and mash on the Android version a bunch, a lollipop appears. If you swirl your finger around on it, a flappy bird clone opens with the android guy as the bird.

Also, I can't find any way to change themes on my note 4. Is that a note 3 only thing?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Has anyone posted about the lollipop easter egg? At least on my note 4, if you go into the phone's about information and mash on the Android version a bunch, a lollipop appears. If you swirl your finger around on it, a flappy bird clone opens with the android guy as the bird.

Also, I can't find any way to change themes on my note 4. Is that a note 3 only thing?

No, it's a Galaxy S6 and Asian Lollipop thing, so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We posted about it when Lollipop came out six months ago.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ruby idiot railed posted:

I don't really notice button order.

The Tylt Vu needs the proclip ball adapter, but the socket it has is too wide for the standard ball to hold tightly, but it does secure loosely (i.e. wouldn't tip unless you were driving over lots of potholes). I suppose you could put some sheet padding or rubber band in it to get it to hold tightly.

Whichever way you decide to go with the proclip, realize that the Tylt Vu is very bulky. The proclip "compatible with my car" clipped to the side of the console right by my gearshift, and the Tylt Vu literally blocked shifting.

I recommend iOttie Easy Flex 3 for non-6" phones. Easy Flex Wireless Qi is a good mount that roughly holds the same size and does wireless charging (which Turbo supports).

Thanks, my mount is higher then my shifter so would only run the risk of blocking my head unit. Is it the same ball that the RAM products use? I currently have the Xgrip.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, my mount is higher then my shifter so would only run the risk of blocking my head unit. Is it the same ball that the RAM products use? I currently have the Xgrip.

It's supposed to be the same ball that the garmin mounts use. Proclip has its own ball adapter, that's the one I'm going off of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-q1-2015-other-revenues-segment-impacted-decline-nexus

Nexus operations took a hit this quarter. I guess it's not too surprising when you double the price of your phone offering, launch a tablet that has major usability issues, and have a major swing with a miss of an OS update that you are still quashing major bugs over 5 months after the fact.

It remains to be seen if Google even cares about that blip or if they will change anything in response.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-q1-2015-other-revenues-segment-impacted-decline-nexus

Nexus operations took a hit this quarter. I guess it's not too surprising when you double the price of your phone offering, launch a tablet that has major usability issues, and have a major swing with a miss of an OS update that you are still quashing major bugs over 5 months after the fact.

It remains to be seen if Google even cares about that blip or if they will change anything in response.

The Nexus program is largely a "eh, let's get a production line of the reference hardware going and sell it" thing, I imagine. The 6 was probably a break from that but the point stands that they're probably not giving too much of a poo poo about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAUXTON posted:

The Nexus program is largely a "eh, let's get a production line of the reference hardware going and sell it" thing, I imagine. The 6 was probably a break from that but the point stands that they're probably not giving too much of a poo poo about it.

I'm mostly with you on that, except their new Google Fi thing requires a Nexus 6.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

I'm mostly with you on that, except their new Google Fi thing requires a Nexus 6.

"Let's wrangle an MVNO deal and see if it boosts sales of our reference hardware" or something.

e: They also offer a pricing plan that splits it into 24 monthly payments, but no markup so literally 1/24th of the phone price.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 24, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So uh about that 2014 Moto X deal I posted yesterday...

http://imgur.com/UmIqDnZ

It's 16 gigs not 32. The listing was an obvious copy paste job but left me thinking it was 32.

They will get lots of returns for this sloppy listing. Oops.

Edit. They changed the listing. Sneaky.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 24, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Opinions on the different Turbo backs?

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

hooah posted:

Opinions on the different Turbo backs?

Ballistic Nylon is kinda cool but I always have it in the Diztronic case so I don't even see it anymore.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

hotsauce posted:

So uh about that 2014 Moto X deal I posted yesterday...

http://imgur.com/UmIqDnZ

It's 16 gigs not 32. The listing was an obvious copy paste job but left me thinking it was 32.

They will get lots of returns for this sloppy listing. Oops.

Edit. They changed the listing. Sneaky.

Bought it anyways. Still a good deal for 16?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In terms of a reasonably inexpensive but decently specced phone, how awful of an idea are the 2nd Gen Moto Gs and if they are an awful idea, what would be a better alternative?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Thermopyle posted:

Well it's the only phone with the proper radios isn't it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

Yes. It probably requires the Carrier Aggregation bands, which are fairly recent.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As a Verizon and t-mobile customer I'm pretty excited about Fi. It's far cheaper than either of my current plans and my t-mobile phone has the same coverage as my Verizon one does 99% of the time so tacking Sprint onto it would only improve it. The biggest downside is the nexus 6 but maybe we'll see more supported phones later this year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uPen posted:

so tacking Sprint onto it would only improve it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Improve might be too strong but I'd feel the same way about wanting to try it even if it was only t-mobile towers.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

uPen posted:

Improve might be too strong but I'd feel the same way about wanting to try it even if it was only t-mobile towers.

The thing about FI that I think could be a bout deal is for once carriers are directly competing for data. Think about this the phone will cost which carrier to use and likely Google will pass through something like 60% so Sprint or TMo stand to get $.6 per 100 megabytes but only if they provide better service at the moment.

It completely flips the incentives. Usually a carrier has your money and basically doesn't care about your quality of service unless it's so bad you leave. Months from now I could believe there will be meetings with some one pointing to a dead zone and saying "We are losing X dollars to the other carrier let's attempt to compete on speed and signal strength right there."

I think this is the reason Google is charging per MB and having the price be moderately high for now. Eventually I could see AT&T jumping in because they just refusing to take peoples money.

I think we will see FI spread to other phones and hopefully some more carriers but even if it never gets widespread its nice for carriers to compete directly and continuously on network quality.

Up till now building a good network was required for acquisition of customers and some what impacted retention. In the future networks could be competing to deliver data. Heck maybe they even start letting local networks or approved WiFi hour spots carry your data and then send that money onto the owners.

I could see one day them adding a feature onto the fiber boxes that let's it serve data at a discounted rate. As the owner of fiber you wouldn't care that someone uses 50mb of your 1000mb pipe and you'd be cool getting some money from a random person. The phone user would be happy to get 50mb symmetrical for cheap.

In a way FI is a step towards a libertarian transparent wireless network where speed and quality are rewarded directly with money when people need data.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In that touchwiz screenshot, why is there a "power saver" in one part of the drop down and then right below it a "u. power saver"? "Ultra" power saver? Does it make the phone even less usable?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

In a way FI is a step towards a libertarian transparent wireless network where speed and quality are rewarded directly with money when people need data.

Ah yes, libertarianism: the thing that only makes sense if it's heavily subsidized. :allears:

There is nothing, nothing that would lead any reasonable person to believe that Fi will be any kind of successful venture. Like most Google initiatives it launches half thought out and will be forgotten before any of the the crazy what-if pie in the sky game changing ideas are even considered much less implemented.

Then it will limp on in like Google Voice as an e-zombie until one day they kill it without ceremony.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

myron cope posted:

In that touchwiz screenshot, why is there a "power saver" in one part of the drop down and then right below it a "u. power saver"? "Ultra" power saver? Does it make the phone even less usable?

Ultra powersaver turns your screen to greyscale and limits the apps available. It's for when you just really need to save power but still be in contact.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nerve posted:

Right. I'm saying that Google may not be so "nonchalant" about the success of the Nexus 6 because of that very fact.

(of course, google isn't always entirely reasonable about its products anyway)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

There is nothing, nothing that would lead any reasonable person to believe that Fi will be any kind of successful venture.

I don't disagree, however I think it's very exciting for carriers to actually compete network quality instead of just competing in marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

(of course, google isn't always entirely reasonable about its products anyway)

look at this guy still pissed about igoogle.

:smith: I liked having a custom homepage back when I thought homepages were useful.