Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RuanGacho posted:

I didn't realize that Daesh was now able to project outside of Iraq after having toppled the Iraqi government, which last I checked had less naval power than the US.

But they talk about it all the time? How can they not be dangerous? It's like you want us to believe they're fear-mongering!

Everblight posted:

Literally every other country combined has less Naval power than the US.

My favorite semi-'Murrca fact is that the largest air force in the world is the USAF (big surprise), but the second-largest air force is the US Navy.

Even better the ability of any other country to project its military force around the world (non-bordering country) is pretty close to laughable too. Even moreso if you talk about a ground presence vs. planes in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ralepozozaxe posted:

After the Bergdahl thing and this, it's pretty obvious what the Republican stance on hostages is.

Hostages encourage families to pay ransoms, which are used to finance terrorist operations. If an individual cannot be rescued, far, far better to remove the undue influence upon a family to provide material aid to terrorists.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Taerkar posted:

But they talk about it all the time? How can they not be dangerous? It's like you want us to believe they're fear-mongering!

Even better the ability of any other country to project its military force around the world (non-bordering country) is pretty close to laughable too. Even moreso if you talk about a ground presence vs. planes in the air.

The US military literally has lasers, railguns and flying robotic death machines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wax Dynasty posted:

The US military literally has lasers, railguns and flying robotic death machines.

And none of them work all that well.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “I usually tell a bunch of jokes at these events, but with the Patriots in town, I was worried that 11 out of 12 of them would fall flat.” ~ Barack Obama, :boom: :slick: :thurman:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hobbesmaster posted:

What's wrong with our flying death robots?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “I usually tell a bunch of jokes at these events, but with the Patriots in town, I was worried that 11 out of 12 of them would fall flat.” ~ Barack Obama, :boom: :slick: :thurman:

is that a flat balls joke or something else I'm missing?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

The railgun tech is actually moving along pretty well (the ship it's suppose to go on isn't though), and our flying death robots require an operator but are pretty loving good all things considered.

Lasers are dumb science fiction poo poo though. :colbert:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm not comfortable calling them flying death robots until they're autonomous and are granted the ability to make kill decisions without a human involved. If there's a dude somewhere pulling the trigger, it's just a really long gun.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not comfortable calling them flying death robots until they're autonomous and are granted the ability to make kill decisions without a human involved. If there's a dude somewhere pulling the trigger, it's just a really long gun.

Today Shadow Lord Cheney announced that his army of Freedom Drones were now able to discriminate between quail calls and a member of anti American combatants saying "Dad let's go to the park"

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

FAUXTON posted:

The cops are protesting?

They've been putting up for public viewing any video they come across, and have been putting out near daily updates on the investigation. As far as I can tell it's being handled well. It's an unfortunate choice of words, but it was mainly a response to cries for immediate incarceration (ignoring all semblance of due process.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

What's wrong with our flying death robots?

They're RC planes that decide Iran is a good place to land if they lose their downlink.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sorus posted:

(ignoring all semblance of due process.)

Due process for me but not for thee, I see.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And actually military lasers work great for marking targets I guess I transposed the death robots into death lasers as well. Though come to think of it whether you're annihilated by a death ray or a JDAM marked by IR pointer does it really matter?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Perry's dad turned 90 today. :toot:

Fuckin' moocher living off his Medicare and Social Security! :argh:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

hobbesmaster posted:

And actually military lasers work great for marking targets I guess I transposed the death robots into death lasers as well. Though come to think of it whether you're annihilated by a death ray or a JDAM marked by IR pointer does it really matter?

I don't know how well lasers work on actual people, but the military has had success shooting down flying objects and detonating land mines with high-powered lasers so I imagine they could melt a person as well if that was the goal. It's just not all that practical since the big ones are all mounted on warships and humvees.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

The railgun tech is actually moving along pretty well (the ship it's suppose to go on isn't though), and our flying death robots require an operator but are pretty loving good all things considered.

Lasers are dumb science fiction poo poo though. :colbert:

Laser system had a hugely successful test at the end if March, around the same time they showed off the LOCUST system (think rocket artillery except instead of a missile each tube contains a mini drone, which unfurls at altitude, starts powered flight and the computer controls all X dozen of them as a single swarm)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyguXoum3rk

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 24, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Dude looks pretty good for 90.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Laser system had a hugely successful test at the end if March, around the same time they showed off the LOCUST system (think rocket artillery except instead of a missile each tube contains a mini drone, which unfurls at altitude, starts powered flight and the computer controls all X dozen of them as a single swarm)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyguXoum3rk

OK, that should count as a flying killbot, if regular drones don't. Hopefully they'll upgrade them to have tentacles and red eye-sensors for maximum effect.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://steveking.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/king-introduces-restrain-the-judges-on-marriage-act

quote:

"I urge the House to bring this bill to the Floor. If passed, my bill would stop the Court from destroying traditional marriage and preserve the votes of millions of voters in States that have passed bans on same-sex marriage.”

Well, if you can't stop them, keep trying to stop them!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ReidRansom posted:

Dude looks pretty good for 90.

His face has the thousand-yard stare of someone who has had to live with the fact that his son is rick perry.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

His face has the thousand-yard stare of someone who has had to live with the fact that his son is rick perry.

Or maybe Rick is breathing stolen souls into that massive ear to keep him alive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ReidRansom posted:

Or maybe Rick is breathing stolen souls into that massive ear to keep him alive.

Only Texas has executed enough innocent people to sustain a 90-year old man who so loathed the world that he gave it rick perry.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

hobbesmaster posted:

Given the mechanics involved I'd think death by laser would be far more painful. Lasers aren't like how they are portrayed in fictions, you maybe could do that but it is very power wasteful. Instead of a steady beam that cuts, lasers send a series of pulses. Each pulse vaporizes a very small top layer of flesh. When it does this you get a rapid, hot expansion of gases, just like an explosion. And like an explosion, it creates a shock front that then slams into the material around it. Here the "explosion" would be very small, but its just right to generate a hydrostatic shock in the flesh the wave hits. This shock propagates just like in water (since that's mainly what you are) and doesn't compress. Instead the tissue tears, and creates the wound. Now the laser does this millions of times a second, so it steadily rips your body apart to get to a "kill depth" - essentially it claws and shreds into you until you will either bleed out or die from gross bodily trauma. Very different from a stabbing, bullet, or a cut, because the random bit of how the tear propagates means it will probably hit more nerves along the same injury plane.

Contrast this with a jdam, where most deaths will be from the overpressure wave turning your insides to jelly at faster than nerve conduction velocity, or asphyxiation if you are trapped in rubble.

Still not as bad as radiation poisoning, but the point is, with a laser, you are still there, stricken and in great pain while you bleed out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

They're RC planes that decide Iran is a good place to land if they lose their downlink.

GPS spoofing is more generalizable problem. I prefer the fact that for a decade anyone with a computer and cheap radio could watch the drone kill cams live direct from the drones themselves. Yes, they sent the video out unencrypted. Luckily we were fighting literal cave men, so it didn't matter.

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/hack-proof-drone/

Wired in 2012 posted:

Four years after discovering that militants were tapping into drone video feeds, the U.S. military still hasn’t secured the transmissions of more than half of its fleet of Predator and Reaper drones, Danger Room has learned. The majority of the aircraft still broadcast their classified video streams “in the clear” — without encryption. With a minimal amount of equipment and know-how, militants can see what America’s drones see.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Only Texas has executed enough innocent people to sustain a 90-year old man who so loathed the world that he gave it rick perry.

Fortunately he'll be fading into obscurity soon enough. This is his last chance at the brass ring and it isn't looking good for him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

no it doesn't, it has the same look of every old white guy, that is to say, slightly confused as to why he's still alive

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

forbidden lesbian posted:

no it doesn't, it has the same look of every old white guy, that is to say, slightly confused as to why he's still alive

"how has my son not executed me yet"

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Joementum posted:

The only thing I could see in this is how Perry looks like he's angrily telling his dad to "stop blowing out candles like a human being."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hey, that's the man who first leased the Niggerhead Ranch, btw!

e: Perry claims his father was also the one who decided to paint over the name, but idunno...

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Everyone was worried that Tom Wheeler's history would make him side with cable companies and telcos, but it looks like it left a bad taste in his mouth.

I had predicted the Net Neutrality poo poo he's been doing lately was a smokescreen to let this merger happen. I am very happy to be wrong.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Looks like it took place at Niger (The African Country :smug:) Head Ranch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maarek posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama is using drones to blow people up" but "Obama is using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

The secret is that people don't really care about blowing other people up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"Something has to be done, you can't do nothing, you can't do nothing" - Bill Maher, also the majority of voting Americans.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

"Wow, I'm the only majority here!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

If I ever look that square, please shoot me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Who let THOSE people in here" - Mitch

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

"The housekeepers are such a saucy bunch!" - Mitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I am curious, are there like 4 different photographers they are looking at?

• Locked thread