Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I found this interesting, In Ireland in 1996, a model airplane lost radio control because the receiver's batteries ran down and ended up making a relatively good landing 10km away on a taxiway at Dublin Airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

The AAIU report posted:

The propeller had lost one blade and there was also damage to the engine and lower side of the nose. There was evidence of wingtip ground contact by the right wing, and there were cracks in the lower fuselage near the undercarriage area, consistent with a heavy landing. Propeller fragments were found in the landing area.

That is actually pretty drat good for zero control zero fuel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Date of Manufacture:- 1996
Total Flying Time:- 6 hours
Wing Span:- approximately 3.0 meters
Fuselage Length:- 1.8 meters
Weight (empty, zero fuel):- 6.8 kg

Thats a big RC plane.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Had an amazing experience today. Got to do a fly over of some podunk race track with a section of planes. Even better? It was my hometown and my parents got to go. I should have some video here soon from the ground and maybe some gopro footage if any of mine turned out.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

iyaayas01 posted:

Well poo poo.

Were they out back where the Looking Glass used to be for the longest time before they finally hauled it in to the restoration hangar?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Oh man what is with that paint job :barf:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That looks like wall paint.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I imagine that's a preservative layer of some sort.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That's one sorry-looking Bone.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

I imagine that's a preservative layer of some sort.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too - but isn't that poo poo usually way brighter-colored for sun/heat/UV reasons? Then again, that's a never-gonna-fly-again Bone so :shrug:.

ed: like, why even keep the refueling port white lines if it's preserve-o-paint?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duke Chin posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking, too - but isn't that poo poo usually way brighter-colored for sun/heat/UV reasons? Then again, that's a never-gonna-fly-again Bone so :shrug:.

ed: like, why even keep the refueling port white lines if it's preserve-o-paint?

The way it is now, it kind of looks like someone brought their kid in to partly color over the OD with the largest 'Forest Green' Crayola marker ever made.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

It's like a peacock showing its feathers!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Assuming that's not just a picture with the wheels shopped out, I'd call that a sufficiently low pass.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

And after he did this he STILL flew ~90 miles back to his home airport and took the props off! :ughh:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pimp My Choppah: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/bell-525-helicopter

That doesn't look like the inside of a helicopter - it looks like the secret chamber where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

"Tha's real burlwood, brah."

I gotcha beat on this one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3050249/Amazing-refit-Boeing-747-mystery-billionaire-took-three-years.html

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

This reminds me, we've all seen the B52 minimum interval takeoff footage, but most here probably haven't seen the vulcan equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3AWp1AM94

An older 'scramble' test, but not showing as much (except the beautiful all-white nuclear flash livery of the vulcan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFT5mrMF5o

Bonus lightning QRA scramble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBDF60o2Ns8

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

This reminds me, we've all seen the B52 minimum interval takeoff footage, but most here probably haven't seen the vulcan equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3AWp1AM94

I watched this with the sound muted, and I'm still sympathetically deaf.

:black101:
:britain:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, it really makes you wish that they'd gone ahead with the b.3 variant (a cruise missile carrier version with the olympus 301 afterburning turbofan version, improved from the concorde version of the olympus)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

hannibal posted:

As previously promised, here's my photos from the Pacific Aviation Museum.

These are all just iPhone 5S photos so nothing fancy. I am planning on taking my nice DSLR over to NASM/Udvar-Hazy at some point this summer, though.

Why is there a Starfighter with folding wings? It seems like the one plane in the world that needs it least.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Madurai posted:

Why is there a Starfighter with folding wings? It seems like the one plane in the world that needs it least.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/fun-facts/lockheeds-navy-f-104-u-s-navy-markings.html

Guess it's either mislabelled one of the 2 XF5V prototypes, or mocked to look like one?

(e: altho that article has a photo captioned as F-104A so I'm confused, were they F-104Es or -As ?)

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/fun-facts/lockheeds-navy-f-104-u-s-navy-markings.html

Guess it's either mislabelled one of the 2 XF5V prototypes, or mocked to look like one?

(e: altho that article has a photo captioned as F-104A so I'm confused, were they F-104Es or -As ?)

Further down in the article:

quote:

Gentlemen:
Not to put too fine a point on this but the XF5V-1 information as published in winter ’08 edition of The Hook appears to be based on an article I wrote for the April, 2004 edition of Internet Modeler. The XF5V-1 is a total work of fiction and even though the Navy flew a few F-104′s they were never designated as the XF5V-1. No F-104′s were modified. No extended wings, no twin ventral fins, no aft opening canopy, no heavier arresting hook. The only F-104 so modified was a Hasegawa 72nd scale kit that I built for the article. Do a google search for April 2004 Internet Modeler/Lockheeds for the Navy. One of the giveaways that this is an April Fools joke are the pilots “associated” with the project: I.B. Fulinya, A. P. Rilfool and so on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Does anyone know about how airlines assign flight numbers? Is there any rhyme or reason to how they do half of this?

I'm sure it varies on an airline to airline basis - some seem to keep the route number the same regardless of which plane flies it and some keep the same flight number attached to the same plane no matter what it's doing - but it's not consistent and if there's some underlying pattern I sure don't see it. My favorite is when you see the same plane keep a flight number 3 times in a day as it hops across the country and then that flight number magically appears on another airplane at another airport and goes to a completely different place for the last flight of the day.

I guess basically hit me with any stories you've got about assigning flight numbers? I'm curious about it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Does anyone know about how airlines assign flight numbers? Is there any rhyme or reason to how they do half of this?

Nobody knows how this works, including the airlines. Otherwise you wouldn't get multiple aircraft with the same loving callsign.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

I'm sure it varies on an airline to airline basis - some seem to keep the route number the same regardless of which plane flies it and some keep the same flight number attached to the same plane no matter what it's doing - but it's not consistent and if there's some underlying pattern I sure don't see it. My favorite is when you see the same plane keep a flight number 3 times in a day as it hops across the country and then that flight number magically appears on another airplane at another airport and goes to a completely different place for the last flight of the day.

I guess basically hit me with any stories you've got about assigning flight numbers? I'm curious about it.

The ranges mean something consistently at least.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Odd numbers are westbound and even numbers are eastbound… or vice versa, it kind of depends?

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Having been lucky enough to see the Vulcan display a few times in the early 90's, I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to watch a Black Buck raid take off - 11 Victors & 2 Vulcans in close succession :psyduck:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

The ranges mean something consistently at least.

Except when they don't. Seriously, the days of airline flight numbers meaning anything are long gone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Except when they don't. Seriously, the days of airline flight numbers meaning anything are long gone.

They just need to make the official callsign associated with the actual aircraft and then call it whatever the gently caress they want on the ground so that the idiot passengers don't get confused when a plane breaks and has to be replaced.

e:

It's bad enough that I've seen two aircraft with the same callsign hundreds of miles apart going opposite directions confusing the poo poo out of the controller trying to give one a shortcut until he figured out what was going on. How they both ended up on our frequency I'll never know.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 24, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

I frequently do a flight out of "silicon valley's airport" (SJC) that's flight number 404, so hopefully we don't have an airplane vanish while doing that route...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SybilVimes posted:

An older 'scramble' test, but not showing as much (except the beautiful all-white nuclear flash livery of the vulcan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFT5mrMF5o

Good news! They got away in two minutes, and the missiles would arrive in 15! The End!

Oh, cold war. You find some strange poo poo cheerful.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Psion posted:

Sometimes there is significance in a flight number. British Airways kept the Concorde flight numbers for their A318 that flies to JFK from London City. Jetblue uses certain numbers for milestone flights (JBU1 is JFK-FLL which was their first flight).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Delta varies flight numbers by operating carrier as far as I can tell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They just need to make the official callsign associated with the actual aircraft and then call it whatever the gently caress they want on the ground so that the idiot passengers don't get confused when a plane breaks and has to be replaced.

e:

It's bad enough that I've seen two aircraft with the same callsign hundreds of miles apart going opposite directions confusing the poo poo out of the controller trying to give one a shortcut until he figured out what was going on. How they both ended up on our frequency I'll never know.

I've seen the same callsign depart airports less than 100nm from each other.

Telling an airliner he has a new callsign is always fun. :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Nobody knows how this works, including the airlines. Otherwise you wouldn't get multiple aircraft with the same loving callsign.

This is for something like Delta 1873 where they need more numbers than the four digits allow, have the same number two ways on a route, and then one flight gets delayed so they do a substitution, right?

Edit: flight numbers http://crankyflier.com/2015/03/24/why-does-united-change-its-flight-numbers-so-often-ask-cranky/

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ain't nothing til you get formation callsigns going. PROPS 51, 52 and 55 are in the pattern, PROPS 50 with 53 and 54 are coming in for the overhead. We'll be dropping off 54 and then PROPS 51 will take the 50 callsign to go out VFR with 52 and 53. And then the four other squadrons on base decide to have their own _____50 formation at the same time :psyduck:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Cocoa Crispies posted:

This is for something like Delta 1873 where they need more numbers than the four digits allow, have the same number two ways on a route, and then one flight gets delayed so they do a substitution, right?

Edit: flight numbers http://crankyflier.com/2015/03/24/why-does-united-change-its-flight-numbers-so-often-ask-cranky/

Sometimes when this happens, they truncate the callsign and add a letter. Delta, or DAL4345 becomes DAL345A.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

Ain't nothing til you get formation callsigns going. PROPS 51, 52 and 55 are in the pattern, PROPS 50 with 53 and 54 are coming in for the overhead. We'll be dropping off 54 and then PROPS 51 will take the 50 callsign to go out VFR with 52 and 53. And then the four other squadrons on base decide to have their own _____50 formation at the same time :psyduck:

Cue Godholio or mlmp08 talking about the way the Navy has one callsign until they "go tactical" then the same airplane on the same flight has a completely different callsign.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Cue Godholio or mlmp08 talking about the way the Navy has one callsign until they "go tactical" then the same airplane on the same flight has a completely different callsign.

It's dumb and rarely briefed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013