Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I still think it's a good inclusion. No one plays 4 Roasts, and it is a sorcery, so you can at least get one swing in. :shrug:

Would you slot the Keepers in over Revokers? I can always give them a try, although I'll need to pick up two during draft tonight since I only own two Japanese copies for some reason. I imagine T2 swing with a 3/4 isn't the worst thing I could be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BXCX posted:

Would you slot the Keepers in over Revokers? I can always give them a try, although I'll need to pick up two during draft tonight since I only own two Japanese copies for some reason. I imagine T2 swing with a 3/4 isn't the worst thing I could be doing.

Yeah. I would just side Revokers in against green decks to shut down mana dorks and Polukranos. They probably wouldn't survive long enough to be useful against any other deck anyway. Keeper blocks tokens and is half the cost (and gives you random value against Whisperwood Elemental decks). :v:

Edit: Oh, and you should have 4 Encase in Ice in the sideboard. It is a great stall against Abzan AND Jeskai and gives them something else to waste their enchantment removal on that isn't Ensoul.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 17, 2015

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Thinking of using Peel from Reality on my Genesis Hydra / Prophet of Kruphix deck. Specifically on my Hydra so I can recast it as either a flash on my opponents turn or my turn.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

What are your thoughts on mono RDW? I really like the guide CFB put up: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-guide-standard-mono-red-aggro/. But Christiano Cristo did perform better with his deck: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9504&d=254554&f=ST. I don't think putting 4 Searing Blood in the main makes sense but also wonder about running no Rabblemaster...I like the argument for Chandra in the sideboard over Outpost Siege. My current iteration meets them somewhere in the middle:
Main
2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Lightning Berserker
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

3 Dragon Fodder
3 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Lightning Strike
4 Wild Slash

2 Hall of Triumph

21 Mountain

Side
2 Arc Lightning
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Goblin Heelcutter
1 Harness by Force
4 Roast
3 Searing Blood

Levin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 18, 2015

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Edit:
Took out the red. Made it artifacts.

I'm back from my last post and I finally got around to refining the deck.
For those who don't want to read that poo poo I'm playing casually at a competitive level. I might roll down on some tournaments if this deck is good enough.
It's a combo based deck with two halves. I made it so I could switch out one half of the deck for any of two choices. I did the best I could on this but I still got no idea what cards are the best to go with here. That's why I went with the ones I know.
And I'm still budgeting. Most expensive poo poo I got in the deck is Creeping Tar Pit.
The main mechanic for this deck is to get the central combo out. Like I can use the central combo, Aphetto Alchemist + Illusionist's Bracers. Then Prodigal Sorcerer happens. It does 1 damage an infinite amount of times. Ideally it's an auto win on turn four.

I'd like some help with this. Let me know your thoughts or what you'd do to make the deck work better. I feel like it's all over the place. Should I nix anything? Am I missing a card you think would work perfectly with this? Is there a better infinite mana source than Darksteel Citadel I could use? I'm working hard on this before I buy the cards so that I don't waste money.

Main Deck
Card Count:

Black Cards
Card Count:

Artifact Cards
Card count:

Izzus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 19, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I agree with Chandra over Outpost Siege. Outpost Siege matches up very poorly against Dromoka's Command, and your tokens can usually protect Chandra pretty well. Also she's weirdly good in the mirror.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

RDW
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Heelcutter
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Lightning Berserker
2 Mardu Scout
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Zurgo Bellstriker
4 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Wild Slash
3 Dragon Fodder
2 Hordeling Outburst
21 Mountain

2 Goblin Heelcutter
1 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Searing Blood
3 Arc Lightning
4 Roast
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Deck I'm considering bringing to PPTQ this weekend at my LGS. I know there will be Jeskai Tokens, Bant Heroic and Control there, probably RDW and Gruul Deck Wins too. I may be able to put together my Bant Heroic deck in time but I won't have tested or played with it. Biggest question mark for me is using Rabblemaster in a format with a lot of cheap removal and whether or not to include Eidolon of the Great Revel.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you expect to see the ground clogged up, Magnetic Chasm is a reasonable sideboard option. If you expect to face a reasonable amount of the mirror, you'll want 1-2 Scouring Sands. I had good experiences with both of those cards in the sideboard of the Atarka's Command version of the deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you think there are going to be alot of mirror matches, Eidolon becomes maindeckable. Just win the roll and you're in the driver's seat.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Lightning Berserker
2 Mardu Scout
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Zurgo Bellstriker
4 Lightning Strike
4 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Wild Slash
4 Dragon Fodder

21 Mountain
3 Arc Lightning - mirror, tokens, additional burn
4 Roast - big creature removal
2 Hall of Triumph - protection against drown in sorrow, beat tokens
2 Chandra, Pyromaster - better than outpost siege, backup win con, good against 1 toughness creatures
2 Magmatic Chasm - way through crowded boards
1 Harness by Force - hail mary against big guys
1 Eidolon of the Great Revel - 3rd for mirrors or on play when I know deck has a lot of 3 cost or less spells

I'm sure I could look at this over and over and come up with something different. What I like about this iteration is the consistency and commitment to winning fast.

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you're missing 2 cards from that list. Is 4 searing blood main working out right now? I liked it back when RW aggro was the top deck, but control decks and Abzan Midrange have no good targets.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think you're missing 2 cards from that list. Is 4 searing blood main working out right now? I liked it back when RW aggro was the top deck, but control decks and Abzan Midrange have no good targets.

Good catch and you're right and honestly I have no clue, I've toyed with many versions of RDW but I don't think my local meta is indicative of the general meta necessarily, certainly not what you'd see at professional or higher end tournaments. Based some of my thoughts on Searing Blood from this article: http://brainstormbrewery.com/10929/. My feeling is that it sucks against Control to be sure but I'm better off with dead cards in that match as I think I have more of an advantage than in matches where I need it. I think it's still good against Abzan mid and stuff that runs larger creatures because it can be used to finish off a creature I couldn't otherwise get through, worst case I stack it on another burn spell to clear the way while still doing damage to the opponent.

Right now I'm looking at moving a mountain to the side board and putting in a third Eidolon. I figure I have a low enough curve that I can swap in the mountain when I put in stuff like Harness, Arc, Hall and Chandra.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That curve definitely looks fine on 20 lands. Can the deck actually close out games without Outburst or Rabblemaster? Having neither makes Denizen weaker too.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Hey, so I started playing about 2 months ago, and after 4 drafts I've finally compiled a deck that I'm not completely disappointed in. Also, just found out about a game shop that's right next to my work with $3 packs, so I can drop by almost any day to sell poo poo. If anyone has any input on this, I'd appreciate it. I plan to sell off extra cards cards once I organize them all (my friend got me into it by giving me a bunch of her draft extras... a bunch... so many cards.)

Deck: Warriors done came out!

//Lands
3 Blossoming Sands
2 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
2 Jungle Hollow
5 Plains
2 Scoured Barrens
5 Swamp

//Spells
2 Abzan Runemark
1 Artful Maneuver
2 Diplomacy of the Wastes
1 Dragonscale Boon
1 Dromoka's Command
1 Epic Confrontation
1 Grim Contest
1 Inspiring Call
1 Kin-Tree Invocation
2 Pressure Point
3 Return to the Earth
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Shape the Sands
1 Sunbringer's Touch

//Creatures
2 Abzan Falconer
1 Arashin Foremost
1 Dragonscale General
2 Hand of Silumgar
1 Heir of the Wilds
1 Herald of Anafenza
4 Herald of Dromoka
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Mardu Strike Leader
2 Sultai Emissary
1 Tuskguard Captain

Display deck statistics

e: i'm poor

Chibs fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 27, 2015

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So I thought Kibler's deck from the Super Standard League was really cool, and wanted to try it out. I haven't made many modifications, but I wanted to hear what some other people had to say. I cut the 4 Thoughtseize for Bloodsoaked Champion, both for budget reasons and also because I wasn't a huge fan of it in this deck. The Champions are a bit of an experiment, but I think they work well with the 'theme' of the deck and they add another threat that I can bestow on. I think Thoughtseize might be a tad better, but not really enough to justify it as the most expensive card in the deck - the Champions provide a sticky threat that can be really annoying in some match-ups. I'm also debating bringing in a second Urborg, so I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on that.

As for the sideboard, I took out the two copies of Collected Company and replaced them with Naturalize - a resolved Whip of Erebos is almost an auto-scoop without them, and it gives the deck some game against the Jeskai and Temur ascendancy combos, and the G/W Mastery. Outside of those match-ups... it's not great. I'm debating whether to up the number of Naturalize to 3 (or 4...?) since it's so helpful in this match-ups, but I haven't decided what to cut yet - Duress is where I'm leaning now, but I'm worried that'll hurt against Control and planeswalker decks. Self-inflicted Wounds is another card I've been considering, but one I'm even less sure about what to cut for it.

I'm eager to hear any other suggestions or experience with this deck as well, since a few people were talking about it in the main thread.

Deck: Tuned Kibler B/G Aggro

//Main
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Herald of Torment
4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Temple of Malady
3 Surrak, the Hunt Caller
4 Boon Satyr
3 Warden of the First Tree
9 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Den Protector
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Deathmist Raptor
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Llanowar Wastes

//Sideboard
3 Ultimate Price
3 Bile Blight
3 Hunt the Hunter
2 Dark Betrayal
2 Duress
2 Naturalize

Display deck statistics

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Heading to GP Toronto tomorrow, going to take Friday to test out my decks and see which I land on for the main event, it will either be:
RDW
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Hordeling Outburst
3 Lightning Berserker
4 Lightning Strike
4 Monastery Swiftspear
20 Mountain
2 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Wild Slash
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Hall of Triumph
2 Magmatic Chasm
4 Roast
2 Searing Blood

Atarka Red
4 Atarka's Command
1 Become Immense
1 Bloodstained Mire
4 Dragon Fodder
1 Forest
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Hordeling Outburst
3 Lightning Berserker
3 Lightning Strike
4 Mana Confluence
4 Monastery Swiftspear
10 Mountain
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Temple of Abandon
4 Wild Slash
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

2 Destructive Revelry
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Roast
1 Scouring Sands

I think my biggest question is whether to run 21 lands in either deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think 20 lands makes sense when the entire gameplan of the deck is to go one-drop into two-drop into three-drop. Being stuck at two is pretty fatal.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think 20 lands makes sense when the entire gameplan of the deck is to go one-drop into two-drop into three-drop. Being stuck at two is pretty fatal.

Much obliged for all your input sir, I've taken out an Outburst and Fodder, thrown in a Mountain and Mardu Scout, I like the additional dash creature to avoid sorcery speed removal. I'm leaning towards RDW as I know it better, just got Atarka Red together. I've read the arguments for and against both, I think I'll take less variance over more explosiveness but I should be able to try out both tomorrow before the main event.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm running Atarka Red and have dropped the original list's Frezied Goblin for an additional mountain. You may want to drop a Berserker.

I have also, however, run in to a glut of midrange decks running maindeck Angers and Drowns that are just ruining my day lately. Be wary of those matchups!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Am I wrong to consider packing a few sideboard Seismic Ruptures for the Atarka Red deck in my Gr devotion? It kills nearly everything but doesn't take out your own Caryatids like Anger does.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Entropic posted:

Am I wrong to consider packing a few sideboard Seismic Ruptures for the Atarka Red deck in my Gr devotion? It kills nearly everything but doesn't take out your own Caryatids like Anger does.
Seismic Rupture was the card that done me in at a recent PPTQ, played by an Ascendancy Combo deck. He boarded in that at Monastery Siege's Pseudo-Leyline ability and basically just made all my cards do nothing.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Balon posted:

I'm running Atarka Red and have dropped the original list's Frezied Goblin for an additional mountain. You may want to drop a Berserker.

I have also, however, run in to a glut of midrange decks running maindeck Angers and Drowns that are just ruining my day lately. Be wary of those matchups!

This is why I'm a bit hesitant to wrong Atarka Red, I think there will be a lot of side hate in seismic rupture, drown in sorrow, anger, etc... that I may be able to work around with more dash creatures. I went with a bloodstained mire for deck thinning but a mountain instead may be a good idea, I think the berserkers are too good for utilizing excess mana, activating foundry and avoiding sorcery removal to cut. Definitely hope to play both tonight to get a feel but leaning toward 21 mountain RDW.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Corte posted:

This is why I'm a bit hesitant to wrong Atarka Red, I think there will be a lot of side hate in seismic rupture, drown in sorrow, anger, etc... that I may be able to work around with more dash creatures. I went with a bloodstained mire for deck thinning but a mountain instead may be a good idea, I think the berserkers are too good for utilizing excess mana, activating foundry and avoiding sorcery removal to cut. Definitely hope to play both tonight to get a feel but leaning toward 21 mountain RDW.

If you have "excess mana" you're likely behind already. In my experiences berserker MIGHT be a fireball against control once in a while, but is more often than not a 2/1 or 3/1 that gets stopped by everything.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Balon posted:

If you have "excess mana" you're likely behind already. In my experiences berserker MIGHT be a fireball against control once in a while, but is more often than not a 2/1 or 3/1 that gets stopped by everything.

Sure it doesn't do big damage often but it goes around anger, drown and triggers foundry. At the GP, 1-1 in standard swiss, had to mull both hands and got wrecked by w/g midrange, gently caress den protectors, death most a dromoka's command.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

You're gonna want Anger to stop Deathmist Raptor decks. Those things are catching on.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been out of standard since before Dragons and trying to figure out how to get back in, since I want to play in the standard GP London in August. I played mostly Mardu before, experimenting with Mardu Superfriends which did well against heroic, which isn't too relevant now, and badly against Sultai and UB control, which still are. I don't have Courser or Caryatid and do think I want to get them, which I think might rule green out entirely.

I have a few of the pieces for the Esper dragons deck that's doing the rounds,. Is there some fundamental problem with Mardu now that's keeping it out of the meta? I'd like to keep using Doom and my manabase if I can. How far from T1 is BW warriors? Will Mardu or Abzan warriors be slowed down too much by the extra colour?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been out of standard since before Dragons and trying to figure out how to get back in, since I want to play in the standard GP London in August. I played mostly Mardu before, experimenting with Mardu Superfriends which did well against heroic, which isn't too relevant now, and badly against Sultai and UB control, which still are. I don't have Courser or Caryatid and do think I want to get them, which I think might rule green out entirely.

I have a few of the pieces for the Esper dragons deck that's doing the rounds,. Is there some fundamental problem with Mardu now that's keeping it out of the meta? I'd like to keep using Doom and my manabase if I can. How far from T1 is BW warriors? Will Mardu or Abzan warriors be slowed down too much by the extra colour?

Basically mardu doesn't currently do anything better than abzan. It doesn't have any real kicker to make it worth playing over the other options.

I can speak from personal experience about warriors though. I don't know if it's tier 1, but I've had nothing but success with the deck, especially since dragons dropped. It's fast, resilient, two colors keeps the manabase pretty consistent, you get great removal options and sideboard options. It's the only standard deck I've played locally for months now and I routinely top 4 FNM when I can attend. I actually made top 4 at a 30 man gameday and was feeling confident but gave my opponent the win after I won because I promised my wife I'd be home and all the control decks were taking rounds to time. I also haven't lost to control with the deck yet since DTK came out. It's the funnest deck and also the most success I've had in standard since the g/w aggro deck when standard was ths/rtr. Here's my current list:

https://deckbox.org/sets/878022

Some people go with a more white heavy build for arashin foremost but I like keeping the white as more of a light color for consistency. Also having blood-chin fanatic and bloodsoaked champ out with 4 mana and getting into an attack-fling-raid cycle feels satisfying.

tl;dr: gently caress YEAH WARRIORS WOOOO

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Basically mardu doesn't currently do anything better than abzan. It doesn't have any real kicker to make it worth playing over the other options.

I can speak from personal experience about warriors though. I don't know if it's tier 1, but I've had nothing but success with the deck, especially since dragons dropped. It's fast, resilient, two colors keeps the manabase pretty consistent, you get great removal options and sideboard options. It's the only standard deck I've played locally for months now and I routinely top 4 FNM when I can attend. I actually made top 4 at a 30 man gameday and was feeling confident but gave my opponent the win after I won because I promised my wife I'd be home and all the control decks were taking rounds to time. I also haven't lost to control with the deck yet since DTK came out. It's the funnest deck and also the most success I've had in standard since the g/w aggro deck when standard was ths/rtr. Here's my current list:

https://deckbox.org/sets/878022

Some people go with a more white heavy build for arashin foremost but I like keeping the white as more of a light color for consistency. Also having blood-chin fanatic and bloodsoaked champ out with 4 mana and getting into an attack-fling-raid cycle feels satisfying.

tl;dr: gently caress YEAH WARRIORS WOOOO

So after a few more weeks, I'm curious as to how you do against RDW.

It's common where I'm at, so at least half of my sideboard is dedicated to it too--2 Chiefs of the Scale (1 main just in case), 1 Bile Blight (2 main), and 1 Drown In Sorrow. It seems like drawing creatures doesn't help because they'll just 1-for-1 you with burn and power the rest out with whatever goblins are on the board.

You're right in that control is an easy win for Warriors, especially given I'm running Foremosts. It's often you can just swing in for more than they can handle. GW devotion is easier than GR, but GR is also sideboardable into; with Obelisk of Urd, you trade favorably with practically everything.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

So after a few more weeks, I'm curious as to how you do against RDW.

It's common where I'm at, so at least half of my sideboard is dedicated to it too--2 Chiefs of the Scale (1 main just in case), 1 Bile Blight (2 main), and 1 Drown In Sorrow. It seems like drawing creatures doesn't help because they'll just 1-for-1 you with burn and power the rest out with whatever goblins are on the board.

You're right in that control is an easy win for Warriors, especially given I'm running Foremosts. It's often you can just swing in for more than they can handle. GW devotion is easier than GR, but GR is also sideboardable into; with Obelisk of Urd, you trade favorably with practically everything.

I actually struggle with rdw thanks to them having burn to close out with. My sideboard is currently a bit skewed towards dealing with that matchup, the rams were a recent addition specifically because I was struggling there. I kinda hated to add them but they're just there as a big gently caress you to rdw. Ajani is there for rdw and other aggro decks to help me stay on top when it comes down to a damage race. Pharikas cure is pretty obvious there too, the extra bile blight as well. I didn't like drown because it's so counterintuitive to the rest of the deck, I'd rather try to keep creatures on the table and regain ground with a sorin or hordechief.

I've had decent enough success being able to go under gw devotion decks, basically any ramp strategies are usually too slow or get blown out by removal. The only matchup where I've noticeably struggled lately is rdw so I'm hoping the new sideboard adjustments fix that.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Thinking ahead for PPTQ York...

I have been very happy with my deck since rotation with most of my worst matchups being normalised. I need to solidify my sideboard plans against Abzan Agro/Morph and Jeskai Dragons.

This is my current list;

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-05-15-deR-jeskai-tokens/

I am considering the following changes and would like opinions.

1) Switching one Glare for another Encase. While it removes an answer for Dragonlord Ojutai I already have a lot that will deal with that and want more for Abzan and RDW. I also have not been seeing Elspeth.

2) I am considering enchantment removal options like Silkwrap/pacifism to give me options against Dromoka's Command which does remove Ascendancy with some consistency. Myth Realized is awesome at doing this as I can usually tell when my opponent has the command in hand as they frustratingly look at it. I could just play another of those I suppose.

3) I may drop a Dragonlord Ojutai to free up a spot in the SB if something comes along. If I can untap it with an ascendancy in play multiples don't bother me too much and Ojutai Exemplars is awesome against Abzan and RDW.

Any thoughts so I can throw it into the mix while testing over the next couple of weeks.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

I actually struggle with rdw thanks to them having burn to close out with. My sideboard is currently a bit skewed towards dealing with that matchup, the rams were a recent addition specifically because I was struggling there. I kinda hated to add them but they're just there as a big gently caress you to rdw. Ajani is there for rdw and other aggro decks to help me stay on top when it comes down to a damage race. Pharikas cure is pretty obvious there too, the extra bile blight as well. I didn't like drown because it's so counterintuitive to the rest of the deck, I'd rather try to keep creatures on the table and regain ground with a sorin or hordechief.

I've had decent enough success being able to go under gw devotion decks, basically any ramp strategies are usually too slow or get blown out by removal. The only matchup where I've noticeably struggled lately is rdw so I'm hoping the new sideboard adjustments fix that.

Nyx-Fleece is genius, I'll go ahead with it. Still keeping the one-of drown in the side along with two of the toughness chiefs (to protect against exactly that!)

Testing it today. Here's hoping the RDW players actually show up!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So I have been playing this UB Pauper (AKA best format ever) deck online since DTK came out:

UB Pauper Tempo Beats
Creatures (32)
4 Cloudfin Raptor
3 Sidisi's Faithful
4 Viscera Seer
3 Sultai Emissary
4 Perilous Myr
2 Man-o'-War
3 Viscera Dragger
3 Vulturous Aven
4 Mulldrifter
2 Gurmag Angler

Spells (8)
2 Think Twice
2 Divination
4 Undying Evil

Lands (20)
4 Dismal Backwater
8 Island
8 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
SB: 2 Echoing Truth
SB: 4 Counterspell
SB: 2 Doom Blade
SB: 3 Tidehollow Strix
SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 Sylvok Lifestaff

The deck has been pretty consistent for me, I kind of brewed it up from a list I found somewhere based around the UB exploit theme.

However, I've made a bunch of changes, and here is what I've been playing. Difficult matchups seem to be Burn and Stompy, at least in Game 1. Really having a blast brewing in the Pauper metagame right now, since the Treasure Cruise ban it has been much more enjoyable.

Anyway, quick breakdown of what I'm playing and why.

Cloudfin Raptor - This guy is what made me want to play this deck - in your opening hand, you can regularly get this guy to be a 3/4, which many decks in this format have trouble with. Viscera Seer and the various Exploit dorks reduce the chance of Cloudfin Raptor being a dead draw late game. Great synergy with Mulldrifter, Sidisi's Faithful, Viscera Dragger (cycle => unearth nonsense) and the Gurmag Angler.

Viscera Seer - Scry nonsense with Perilous Myr (blocks and shoots elves, soul sisters, etc.) and Sultai Emissary, and adds value to Undying Evil with cards like Sidisi's Faithful and Man of War. Scrying with a evoked Mulldrifter on the stack is also great.

Vulturous Aven/Mulldrifter - Self explanatory, card draf and can get big with Undying Evil shenanigans if you need big flying beaters that demand removal.

Gurmag Angler - Filling your graveyard and casting a 7CMC 5/5 on turn 4/5 makes for a solid clock

Sidis's Faithful, Viscera Dragger, Man-o-War - interact with opponents board for cheap and/or graveyard fodder for the Anglers.

Think Twice & Divination - Love card draw. These, along with the other card drawing ETB effects and cycle dudes let you dig through the deck and fill the graveyard at the same time.

Undying Evil - Being able to pay a black mana to get twice the value on Mulldrifter/Vulturous Aven/Man-o-War etc and be able to turn a 1/1 into an effective attacker/blocker. Evoking Mulldrifter for 2 colorless a black and a blue mana and getting 4 cards and a 3/3 body on turn 4 is something a number of decks can't attack into or block favourably.

Sideboard Plan
- Echoing Truth/Counterspell/Doom Blade - controlling nonsense to bring in against various decks - usually MBC or others, the Cloudfin and bounce mans come out for these usually.

Tidehollow Strix - the deathtouch makes these guys something that needs to eat a removal spell. Together with Sylvok Lifestaff for the aggro/burn matchup.

- Nihil Spellbomb - for the MBC/mirror

Stuff I want to do/need advice with:

- Potentially add more Gurmag Anglers.
- Find ways to buy back Undying Evil and/or replace the effect
- Better sideboard/mainboard plan against burn

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Divination seems weaker than compulsive research here, research gets you more cards and helps fuel out an angler faster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If the Grand Prix Toronto was any indication that is not necessarily true. Anger of the gods has so much value right now in the current meta it is ridiculous. It has shown up winning a few dailies in mtgo the last few days and I have been playing it about a week before Grand Prix Toronto. There is a really good deck in there.

Here is a very rough test deck list I saw posted by Jim Davis.
http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=82387

Grand Prix Toronto 2nd place
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9655&d=255485&f=ST

The deck i put together is a kind of hybrid between both those decks with 3 mainboard angers. The playtesting has been really insane. I am almost not wanting this deck to get very popular but each day I am seeing new people stream their deck testing for this deck on twitch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Divination seems weaker than compulsive research here, research gets you more cards and helps fuel out an angler faster.

You're right, Compulsive Research performed wonderfully. I went 3-1 in the daily on Tuesday. Even beat a burn deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been working on a budget monoblack control list for Modern and am getting ready to sleeve it up. Before I go through that, what do you think?

Deck: Budget MBC

//Lands
23 Swamp

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
4 Duress
1 Geth's Verdict
1 Lashwrithe
2 Mutilate
1 Phyrexian Arena
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Sign in Blood
4 Victim of Night
1 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Geralf's Messenger
2 Tombstalker
4 Vampire Nighthawk

//Sideboard
3 Despise
2 Geth's Verdict
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Surgical Extraction
3 Vampire Hexmage

Display deck statistics

My concerns are 1. If I have enough creatures, and 2. Not enough turn 1 plays. Maybe a control deck doesn't need to worry about those but I still have them on my mind.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Inquisition of Kozilek should be maindeck, it's the far better turn-1 proactive play. Your removal spells answer most >3 cmc threats in a tempo-effective way anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Inquisition of Kozilek should be maindeck, it's the far better turn-1 proactive play. Your removal spells answer most >3 cmc threats in a tempo-effective way anyway.

Good point, and I did just pick up a fourth copy. So maybe
Maindeck:
IN
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
OUT
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Geth's Verdict
2 Ratchet Bomb

Sideboard:
IN
2 Dragon's Claw (for anti-burn tech, I have Crypt Incursions too but I'm not sure how full of a graveyard I'll have to target)
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Geth's Verdict
2 Ratchet Bomb
OUT
3 Despise
3 Inquisition of Kozilek

?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
So I posted earlier, but didn't get any input (because my deck was terrible). I spent more time with it and canme up with tihs (probably still terrible):

Deck: Warriors, come out in droves!

Lands
2 Blossoming Sands
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
2 Jungle Hollow
6 Plains
2 Scoured Barrens
6 Swamp

Spells
2 Harsh Sustenance
2 Kin-Tree Invocation
1 Palace Siege
1 Raiders' Spoils
3 Reap What Is Sown
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Shamanic Revelation
1 Shape the Sands

Creatures
1 Abzan Kin-Guard
1 Alesha's Vanguard
2 Arashin Foremost
1 Blood-Chin Rager
1 Brutal Hordechief
2 Chief of the Edge
2 Chief of the Scale
1 Den Protector
1 Dragonscale General
2 Dutiful Attendant
2 Hand of Silumgar
4 Herald of Dromoka
2 Mardu Hordechief
1 Mardu Shadowspear
1 Mardu Strike Leader
1 Merciless Executioner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sideboard
1 Abzan Advantage
1 Abzan Runemark
1 Avatar of the Resolute
1 Champion of Arashin
1 Channel Harm
1 Collected Company
1 Deadly Wanderings
1 Echoes of the Kin Tree
1 Fate Forgotten
1 Gravepurge
1 Lightwalker
1 Profound Journey
1 Sultai Emissary
1 Tapestry of the Ages
1 Shape the Sands

Display deck statistics
https://deckbox.org/sets/969791

Chibs fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

My version of GW Company- http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-05-15-DgE-gw-company/

Creature (26)
4x Abzan Falconer
3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4x Avatar of the Resolute
4x Boon Satyr
4x Fleecemane Lion
3x Reverent Hunter
4x Servant of the Scale
Enchantment (1)
1x Citadel Siege
Land (23)
4x Blossoming Sands
6x Forest
2x Mana Confluence
3x Plains
4x Temple of Plenty
4x Windswept Heath
Instant (10)
4x Collected Company
4x Dromoka's Command
2x Valorous Stance

Sideboard (15)
2x Glare of Heresy
3x Hornet Nest
3x Inspiring Call
2x Feed the Clan
2x Setessan Tactics
3x Surge of Righteousness

After having UB control as my only Standard deck, I decided to make a reasonably budget friendly second deck and I thought something like this would be interesting. It's about swarming the board with little resilient dudes and abusing collected company and anafenza triggers, with a bit devotion theme mixed in. In playtesting it's worked reasonably well, but any suggestions on other cards would be greatly appreciated. (Keeping in mind I am trying to keep to a budget and I already had the fetches)

• Locked thread