Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I've recently gotten to try DMing for the first time with the group I usually play 13th Age with. The first time was a one shot I'd been working on for a couple of months prior and unfortunately wasn't that notable except for a few highlights:

-An extremely obnoxious and racist bard of noble descent that everyone in the party hated and immediately focused down in the subsequent battle royale that took place, and was dragged off by his apologetic attendants just before he could be killed;
-The Halfling Monk getting into a slugfest with a drunken Dwarf;
-The Elven (gameplay-wise Human) Ranger walking off with an enchanted pickaxe that was part of a silent auction and using it to smash a giant emerald the party won in the aforementioned battle royale;
-The entire party ruining a hostage situation at a mine by walking right past the terrorists' representative when he came to negotiate because he missed all of his opportunity attacks and the Gnome Barbarian spending the rest of the game punching the guy in the face because his player was absent (said player loved this when we told him later);
-The entire terrorist organization being reduced to laughing stocks because: (1) I rolled so poorly they barely hit anyone, and (2) the leader was one shot by the ranger in the first round of combat before he could do anything;
-And the final enemies, a Honey Devil and a Smoke Devil, were dubbed "Nerd" and "Dank Memes" by the party. The Honey Devil got a particularly nasty death when the High Elf Rogue cut his head off in the middle of one of his maniacal laughing fits.

The second one shot (an official one this time: "Make Your Own Luck") I got to run with them had most of the same players:
Gyro, a Halfling Monk who turns into a sandwich when he passes out;
Hassy, a Human Ranger born to two Elven parents;
Hue, a Gnome Barbarian, a world famous musician who became a Barbarian after suffering brain damage;
Kay-Zee-1, a Forgeborn Bard who was basically Gato from Chrono Trigger;
Sharhesh, a Dragonic Fighter whose PTSD hallucinations manifest phyically; and
Johnny Applebee's, Human Wizard who goes around planting family restaurant franchises.

The game started in media res in a town besieged by a troll army for a month, so I asked them how the party's been spending their time and helping the town. Sharhesh was a former soldier and helped train the town guards, Hassy planted traps in and around the town to ward off attackers, Kay-Zee-1 kept morale up with song, Gyro secluded himself to train, and Johnny...
:v: "I've been planting and growing food."
:rolldice: "Oh good. So you've been keeping everyone fed and healthy."
:v: "Not really. It's all Applebee's food. I've probably made everything worse."
:rolldice: "Oh."

Eventually a group of trolls starts to storm the town and the party beats them without much trouble. Then they find out the attack was a diversion for some goblins to sneak into the town from the opposite wall. So I have the party make skill checks to catch them.

Hassy rolls a natural 1 to shoot one and he gets away; she later successful tracks one down and kills it because she was out of arrows and wanted his. Hue and Gyro also track down two, Hue kills his in a surprise round and Gyro knocks his out with no problem. Sharhesh straight up chased one down and subdued it. Johnny conjured an illusion to make a mud puddle look like a Mississippi mud slide and a goblin jumped head first into it (:rolldice: "He can't tell the difference at all." :v: "Sounds about right.") KZ1 found another goblin in an alley who fought him because he couldn't get to the "sundae" first. I should not that these goblins are supposed to be the lowest level a mook can possibly be and aren't meant to be a challenge at all. KZ1 nearly lost half his HP to it. (From Hue: "Kill that goblin or I will never forgive you." He never forgave him.)

The party gathered the surviving goblins to interrogate them, and the game pretty much fell apart there. See, the biggest thing I've been complimented on when running games is my NPCs, and the voices I gave them. The voice I gave the goblins was, well... No one could stop laughing. However, there was one thing the party forgot:

:rolldice: "Hey, remember how goblin who got away?"
Party: "Yeah?"
:rolldice: "The Applebee's is on fire."
(In as high-pitched as I could go): :orks: "Fight the power, motherfuckers!"

We had to call the session there, but not before the monk and ranger chased him down for the meat he stole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ellbent posted:

My game actually went really well despite my expectations, was a ton of fun, and ended up being like The Goonies but with a lot more dynamite and opium and steampunk hoverboards. In her game, whenever she presented the party with a moral or political dilemma or a social situation, they shot it or blasted it with magic lasers or hit it with a tomahawk until the dilemma/situation died. She didn't seem particularly happy.

You got people who were trying to buck type; she got the ones not paying attention!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Arx Monolith posted:

So seriously, somebody point me to the how-to-setup-a-PbP-game thread.

If you find that thread, and start a game, I will 100% join. :v:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Tonight's Skull and Shackles:

"You have successfully rammed the gently caress out of the jellyfish with your underwater submarine boat against the other boat. Also you feel Besmara watching you in confusion."

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Years ago I was playing Rolemaster. And my character tried overcasting a Light spell from a scroll. He critically fumbled so badly that he exploded.
In the next campaign fledgling wizards would turn into suicide bombers by. overcasting fireball spells. While yelling my former characters name.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Years ago I was playing Rolemaster. And my character tried overcasting a Light spell from a scroll. He critically fumbled so badly that he exploded.
In the next campaign fledgling wizards would turn into suicide bombers by. overcasting fireball spells. While yelling my former characters name.

Kingdom hearts is...light!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

MelvinBison posted:

KZ1 nearly lost half his HP to it. (From Hue: "Kill that goblin or I will never forgive you." He never forgave him.)

Yeah, I got crappy rolls. KZ-1 now thinks Goblins have some sort of anti-robot protection.

Don't forget "slider spray". And the conversation with a captured goblin:
:toughguy: "Talk, or I'll feed you a triple bacon slider!"
:) (In high voice) "Oh, that sounds nice actually. It is three kinds of bacon, or just three times the normal amount?"

Also:

:) "I'm more a Finnegan's guy myself"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I got crappy rolls. KZ-1 now thinks Goblins have some sort of anti-robot protection.

Don't forget "slider spray". And the conversation with a captured goblin:
:toughguy: "Talk, or I'll feed you a triple bacon slider!"
:) (In high voice) "Oh, that sounds nice actually. It is three kinds of bacon, or just three times the normal amount?"

Also:

:) "I'm more a Finnegan's guy myself"

Really sounds like someone in the party needs a sassy goblin sidekick to hassle them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Cross-posting from another thread to share my Paranoia GMing experience from yesterday, which went much better than the last times I tried it.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Paranoia went super well. One of the highlights was a mix-up with experimental devices. Mikey-R had the Traitor Eraser, said to be a super powerful one shot weapon. Her secret society had told her not to use it or stand too close to the person using it. Unknown to her, it was a grenade with a grip and trigger. Adama-R had a glue gun that dispensed a super powerful adhesive. Both guns looked identical.

Both players independently sent me notes saying that they tried to swap the guns when the other wasn't looking. Obviously I didn't even roll for those. So both Adama-R and Mikey-R thought that they were holding the Traitor Eraser and glue gun respectively, and were completely wrong. So when the party decided that it would be a good idea to glue down the power line they were running to keep it secure, Adama-R spent five minutes or so trying to get out of using what he thought was a high-powered energy weapon, while Mikey-R spent five minutes pressuring him into using what she thought was a high-powered energy weapon. And imagine his surprise when he finally sheepishly pulls the trigger and glue comes out of the end.

I barely had to do anything there. In fact I got to spend a lot of time just sitting back and watching Paranoia happen. It went wonderfully. I think giving hidden objective that were strange and suspicious but not at odds with each other worked well.

Adama-R did eventually use the Traitor Eraser when fighting some Commies, complete with ushankas and thick moustaches, after Mikey-R "accidentally" dropped it. He grabbed it, posed dramatically, pulled the trigger and exploded in a blast of V1V damage, leaving behind his smoking boots. Scratch one clone.

Adama-R's player really got into the swing of it. He sent me a note saying he wanted to roll Hygiene to clean his nails, in the hopes of getting everyone to waste Perversity points on what appeared to be a super important secret roll. They did... and then he rolled a 20, which in Paranoia is a critical fumble since you want to roll below a target number. The nail file had super adhesive on it and that clone spent the rest of his short life with a nail file glued to his fingers.

So many notes went flying that session. I read so many. I lost track. I lost some of the notes. I got notes mixed up. I ate one of them just to see the look on that player's face.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Tawni Townsend Part 2
So, this week was also insane.

It started with Tawni suggesting a new potato chip flavor (and finding out it existed).
It ended with her being piledriven, headfirst, into a Garrand record player.

---
Just gonna provide the results and the commentary. Last time's report was LONG.

Backstage: Johnny Social's actions last week led to Boulder's release; the company saw him as a liability. Johnny counted this as "Winning a feud".

Henry Husman said that they had booked a big lucha event for Cinco de Mayo. Tawni asked if the group had any actual luchadors. Henry said he'd check.

Opening: The Outlaw calls out Townsend

Jodi was pissed that her hard work was rendered pointless by Tawni's botched interference. Tawni countered that Jodi had lost the first match, fair and square, so the outcome of Tawni's restart didn't matter.

Fed owner Henry Husman III came out and addressed the controversy. He made a 1 on 1 number one contender's match for the Max the Prep" Michita's title!
We saw a commercial for Husman's potato chips, where the Prep helped a kid dunk a ball in, as he described it, "the basketball goal."
The Prep who messed up his "Over" Roll got booked in a match with the King's Court, an evil British stable. He was facing Ignatius "IQ" Quinn...in a "Scholarly Wrestling Match!"
Flummoxed, Max explained it was a match where you put your opponent in your team's wrestling jacket. And the prep had a secret weapon...THREE polo shirts with THREE popped collars.

Albert (good guy, >) and Lou (bad man) were on commentary:

quote:

>"Max is really taking it to the basketball goal!"
"If you're joining us now, we're broadcasting the scholarly match, which definitely exists."

quote:

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you cheat to win."
>"That's a pretty blatant statement of your life philosophy, Lou."

When "IQ" got Prep in a bow and arrow submission, forcing one arm of the jacket on:

quote:

>You say IQ's brilliant.
He's got his masters.
>No PHD?
He's working on it.
>...What's his doctoral thesis?
You're looking at it!

Jodi stepped in to foil Sir Alfred Mayes's attempt to take Prep's jacket to the back.
The Prep TORE IQ's jacket in half, then got IQ in his finisher, a jacket assisted Mercedes Bends.

---
Backstage, Tawni and Johnny talked about their relationship. He used to be too dangerous, but now she appreciates it.
The Greaser Girl promised to pull out the stops and find a way to help them in their match.

She then got VP Wendy to book it as a tag match...and if Jodi couldn't find a partner, it'd be a handicap match! Oh, and it would be 50's Diner Brawl.

The show rolled on.
---
Jodi came out for the final segment, and said her tag team partner would be her LEATHER LASH!

quote:

"This's not the first time an inanimate object has wrestled for Husman's, but the company released Boulder."
Jodi threw Johnny all around the ring, throwing him across a formica table and whooping him with the belt.

Johnny roared back, throwing the Outlaw into the corner, where Tawni held a silver napkin dispenser. Napkins flew everywhere.

The three of them managed to throw napkins, fries, vinyls, everything everywhere. Tawni tried to pin Jodi under a stool. Jodi got choked with her own strap. Johnny covered his face from a thrown milkshake by holding up a menu.

The King's court tried to interfere, but Tawni stopped them. Unfortunately, The Prep also got involved, and as he ambushed Johnny, Jodi finally hit her finisher, the Broncodriver, directly onto a record player.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 25, 2023

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:allears: That's brilliant.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Snofeld posted:

The nail file had super adhesive on it and that clone spent the rest of his short life with a nail file glued to his fingers.

This is loving gold and you are the best GM.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
In fairness I think the concept for the Traitor Eraser came from some official Paranoia supplement or other. I did invent the Personal Impact Protection System, which was six airbags attached to the body that deployed in response to "stressful external stimuli" and turned the troubleshooter into something between Baymax and an upturned tortoise.

By the end that player got punched in the face so the airbags would deploy and she could be used as a raft over toxic waste. Alas they didn't specify which way up she was in the waste, so she drowned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Snofeld posted:

I ate one of them just to see the look on that player's face.
I don't know why but out of that whole story, that's the part that was the most amusing to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't know why but out of that whole story, that's the part that was the most amusing to me.

Agreed. I actually burst out laughing at that part.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Which Paranoia books should I buy?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

c0ldfuse posted:

Paranoia xp is very good. The general idea and big concepts like perversity points are more important than say the specific rules for damage though. I recommend you ignore all those specific little things in favour of whatever you feel like.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

c0ldfuse posted:

Paranoia: Troubleshooters (AKA Paranoia 25th Anniversary) is the most recent one, but Paranoia XP is about 90% the same, so either one can work fine. But since players aren't technically allowed to know most of the rules (the GM section is ULTRAVIOLET clearance) you can do things differently if you want. I mostly ignored the combat rules, for instance.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 23, 2015

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The Belgian posted:

Paranoia xp is very good. The general idea and big concepts like perversity points are more important than say the specific rules for damage though. I recommend you ignore all those specific little things in favour of whatever you feel like.

I freewheel as a DM, as I'm 6 sessions in with first-time RPG players. We're using Numenera as its super simple to play and understand--the campaign is more narrative than heavy combat though we have at least one major fight every session.

Rules are meant to provide a system and half the fun is working them to make it better for whatever is occurring.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Really you could use any system that you're comfortable with (FATE is a popular choice, I believe) as long as you understand the setting and keep the rules for clearances and, imo, perversity points. How they work is great: once the player knows the target of their roll they can spend points to make the roll easier or harder, but so can everybody else, even if their character is absent or dead. So if Billy-R needed to roll below 9 to make a shot he might say "I take a moment to steady my aim, I spend 2 points to make the target number 11" but Kevin-R might say "his sight is off, I spend 3 points to lower it to 8" and then Jane-R would say "the spray from my vaporised body gets in his eyes, I spend 4 points to lower it to 4" and so on until everyone's spent points. New points are awarded by the GM for good roleplay, backstabbing, entertainment value or so on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr Snofeld posted:

Really you could use any system that you're comfortable with (FATE is a popular choice, I believe) as long as you understand the setting and keep the rules for clearances and, imo, perversity points. How they work is great: once the player knows the target of their roll they can spend points to make the roll easier or harder, but so can everybody else, even if their character is absent or dead. So if Billy-R needed to roll below 9 to make a shot he might say "I take a moment to steady my aim, I spend 2 points to make the target number 11" but Kevin-R might say "his sight is off, I spend 3 points to lower it to 8" and then Jane-R would say "the spray from my vaporised body gets in his eyes, I spend 4 points to lower it to 4" and so on until everyone's spent points. New points are awarded by the GM for good roleplay, backstabbing, entertainment value or so on.
Importantly, you don't have to announce this to the other players. Just hand the GM a note saying "I spend 2 perversity points to lower their roll", or "I spend 2 perversity points to increase their roll", or "read this note and give me a shocked look".

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Also: Don't tell your players they have backup clones but keep it as a suprise for if when one of then dies.

The adventure in the XP book, "mr bubbles", is great and it's a good choice for first adventure. It has lots of advice for running things the first time. 25th anniversary edition probably has it too? The books are basically the same.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 23, 2015

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Belgian posted:

Also: Don't tell your players they have backup clones but keep it as a suprise for if when one of then dies.

The adventure in the XP book, "mr bubbles", is great and it's a good choice for first adventure. It has lots of advice for running things the first time. 25th anniversary edition probably has it too? The books are basically the same.

25th Anniversary has a different mission called The Quantum Traitor, which is pretty alright. If you can get a hold of the book Flashbacks Redux you get some mostly updated versions of classic adventures like Me and My Shadow Mark IV, and Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
And then, when they're used to slapstick mayhem, run Hunger (from WMD):

"For ‘Hunger’, Dan Curtis Johnson got inspired by China’s Great Leap Forward in 1958, a countrywide reformation of production processes that led to the delusion of major production increases on all fronts. In the perfect society of Alpha Complex, The Computer has announed a similar Whirlwind Miracle Destiny. The road to this even more perfect society includes a revolutionary food production program. Dan Curtis Johnson provides some useful tips for GMs on how to run this mission.

The basic premise of this mission, is that the players are put in charge of a new production process that is effectively a lot worse than the old one, but since a rival company has shown that the new process works, the players are not allowed to fail. That doesn’t mean that the players won’t fail. They will. Miserably. But since admitting failure is the quickest way to get their clone lines erased, they will do everything possible to make it appear they succeeded and did better than the rival firms on top. Of course, such an excellent achievement is rewarded by The Computer, [enjoy your meteoric rise through the ranks!] who then wants the players to implement the new process on a larger scale. The mission continues until all Alpha Complex is starving while food production figures have never been bigger."

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 23, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Few things:
1. FATE is a bad system, since it's fair. A troubleshooter shouldn't be able to say "I'm invoking my Shady Comms Officer" aspect for a +2. They should say, "Y'know, we have bad radio coverage. So I don't KNOW if Team Leader said, don't go through my things. Sounded like, "through my things." Maybe he wants us to throw his things."

2. I've always ruled that ONE justification per perversity point, said publicly, is a lot funnier, with a + or -5 cap of five. (People can spend dozens up and down, but it can't be more than a +/- 5).

3. You should be giving points out like Chris Hardwick.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

3. You should be giving points out like Chris Hardwick.

I made a player give me her shoe for six perversity points.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I'm going to try to watch a game being played on YouTube, but loving a why does some nerdo always have to use a terrible female voice the entire session. I hate you if you do this btw and its not allowed in my GM'd sessions exceptions for occurrences of comedic effect or using your feminine wiles to get something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

c0ldfuse posted:

I'm going to try to watch a game being played on YouTube, but loving a why does some nerdo always have to use a terrible female voice the entire session. I hate you if you do this btw and its not allowed in my GM'd sessions exceptions for occurrences of comedic effect or using your feminine wiles to get something.

Don't you see, men doing high pitched voices is funny because

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Belgian posted:

Also tell them that characters might have a secret society and/or might have a mutation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fate and atomic Rubio are way too hard to understand. Anyone have dinner good fate stories to help?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

Also tell them that characters might have a secret society and/or might have a mutation.

My preferred method is to make a big deal about mutants and secret society members being a threat to Alpha Complex and their way of life, and that they should always be on the lookout as it is their duty to find and destroy these mutants and traitors. Then I tell them that they can now look at the secret side of their character sheet, which lists their mutation and secret society.

If you're feeling especially frisky you can give one player no secret society at all, just to keep em guessing.

Another good way to break people in is with the Troubleshooter aptitude test. When you say go they have three minutes to turn over the page and answer all the questions. The pages are, of course, blank. Shush any player who comments on this. After three minutes take in their pages full of, in my experience, various doodles and declarations of love for The Computer. Arbitrarily tell one player that they have totally flunked, and another that they have excelled and are a model Troubleshooter. Give them a prize, if you like.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dr Snofeld posted:

My preferred method is to make a big deal about mutants and secret society members being a threat to Alpha Complex and their way of life, and that they should always be on the lookout as it is their duty to find and destroy these mutants and traitors. Then I tell them that they can now look at the secret side of their character sheet, which lists their mutation and secret society.

If you're feeling especially frisky you can give one player no secret society at all, just to keep em guessing.

Another good way to break people in is with the Troubleshooter aptitude test. When you say go they have three minutes to turn over the page and answer all the questions. The pages are, of course, blank. Shush any player who comments on this. After three minutes take in their pages full of, in my experience, various doodles and declarations of love for The Computer. Arbitrarily tell one player that they have totally flunked, and another that they have excelled and are a model Troubleshooter. Give them a prize, if you like.

This is absolutely amazing. I love paranoia, I should run it again.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay! Long overdue.

Last time in our One Piece-inspired FATE game, our naive captain managed to gamble away all of our money plus our ship in a Pirate Casino.

Our Cast:

Elise: Our Captain, Rich girl with an rear end in a top hat dad who has delusional dreams of being a heroic pirate, well-read, but naive. She ate the Sheet-Sheet fruit and can manipulate paper
Kensou: The Doctor. He was Elise's family doctor and ran off with her to save her life. He can manipulate bandages to attack or heal due to the Wrap-Wrap fruit. One of his aspects is "Damnit Elise". Turned out to had been an infamous pirate in his youth.
Xiphia: A duel-wielding dancer swordfish mermaid. Ex-slave, and team Mom. Our resident combat monkey.
North: The Navigator, my character. A highly nervous guy with responses to stress either by hiding or by shooting his mouth off. Has a ~mysterious marine connection~ no one talks about.
August: A mimic octopus mer-august (his gender is August), the ship's Cook, hunter of exotic eats and resident Gonzo.
Glass: A Hot Latin Con Artist who can turn invisible, and has a shitload of James Bondesque gadgets, including a bowtie that doubles as an inflation device.

While everyone was talking about how to get the money back, Glass sneaks onto the ship to get some selleable loot and managed to massively succeed on his burglary rolls to overhear a conversation between two henchies (One Pair and Two Pair), and discovered the entire thing was rigged and reported it back to us.

We were in a quandary since even if we managed to win everything back, it was clear they want us stuck. While everyone's debating, North was thinking out loud about while the House has an advantage, people don't like if it's blatantly obvious that the Casino is cheating. And given this is a pirate casino full of lawless pirates - Glass and August both caught on quickly where the idea was going.

"So we're going to start a riot?"

Then everyone shifted gears, while the Doctor's still going to get money by fixing up people, he's going to keep an eye out for trouble, we all planned on how to either frame the casino for cheating or otherwise rile up the pirates.

-Elise uses her papercraft ability to plant duplicate cards on a dealer
-Glass rigs a Roulette table
-August knocks out a dealer and take their place
-Xiphia enters the fighting pit and North goes to sit in the stands to heckle and otherwise piss everyone around him.

The first two goes off without a hitch, Xiphia's first foe was three guys in a trenchcoat who got their rear end literally spanked - which then North starts loudly (in the most obnoxious pseudo-joisey accent you can imagine) commenting.

Long story short, plan succeeds, they get on the boat, ended up fighting against One-Pair, Two-Pair and Three of a Kind. Due to poor planning, we knocked the last two off the ship - the ones who actually knew what was going on, and questioned One Pair, who really knew nothing.

Since we were assholes and already gotten pretty far from the island by the time we started questioning, we decided to keep her around, and lacking a brig, we ended up locking her in a closet - August's by chance.

Then we discovered August keeps his collection of pet lobsters in there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr Snofeld posted:

I miss the old Paranoia thread :smith:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
This was supposed to be a shopping session! (4e)

So something funky just happened while we were in a between-sessions shopping trip. (Involving half of the party)

Well, it was supposed to be one. What happened?

Actors:

Ander Symath, Half-Orc Ex-Guard with anger problems
Sarah Redwood, Pixie Rogue with no understanding of the concept of ownership (me)

See, first we went to the enchanter, to sell some of the random crap we found in the cave we just found (including a bunch of crystals, especially a giant one that held a magic item inside it). We bought some stuff from the enchanter, when Sarah decided to go to the blacksmith because Sarah wanted to acquire a parrying dagger. So Sarah chills out in Ander's Armor (In the DM's custom setting, Pixies are super rare and peasants are very superstitious about them, not necessarily positively) when we go there.

Ander asks for a set of armor, and the blacksmith shows him one sitting in the corner behind him, saying that it had been made by his father from blades of fallen soldiers, bla bla bla. He then demands 1000 gold pieces (Note: Our DM really doesn't give us a lot of money), so we try to haggle. Ander asks for a guard's discount, which he receives, but it's still too expensive. He whispers to my Pixie, asking her for help with haggling. So I use Ventriloquists Prank in order to make a Diplomacy check with Ander's voice, telling the blacksmith that it's a super cheap armor considering it's literally made out of looted swords), but it doesn't work out. The blacksmith then complains that it's only fair considering we broke his floor (and have been using it as a staircase to the city sewers, long story), to which Ander replies that he had nothing to do with it (he hadn't.)

Then I decided I hadn't used my astronomically high stealth yet. So I leave Ander's armor, fly around the building, and enter through the back door. I then use Shrink on the armor in order to try and steal it. (We have a homerule that magical items take 5 minutes to shrink). So, Ander decides to threaten the blacksmith into giving him a discount (Despite the fact that I was stealing it, possibly brilliant unintended planning on his part), while I behind the armor as it's slowly shrinking.

The problem was, the blacksmith had enough of Ander and wanted him to leave the building. It went something like this:

:argh: Out. NOW!
:black101: Make me.
:argh: Oh, I will.

As that went on, Sarah took the half-shrunken armor and double-move dashed onto the roof and hid up there. So the blacksmith then picks up a hot piece of metal and stabs Ander with it. You see, there's two problems with the blacksmiths course of action: 1. Ander has anger issues, and military training. 2. has a GIANT axe.

Ander attacks him with the flat of the axe, but the attack was still so strong that it left the guy at like half hp and prone. The poor sob then tries to crawl away, provoking an opportunity attack. Which just happens to be a natural 20. The guy gets knocked unconscious so hard, his head starts bleeding. In the meantime, the armor finished shrinking, so Sarah put it into her backpack and waited for Ander to leave the building, which just tells her that they need to go to the captain of the guard right away.

So we turned a shopping trip into almost-murder. I love my group. :allears:

Edit: It get's better. We just showed up to report the incident (Slightly changed in our favor, of course, not not before hiding said shrunken armor [b] on the roof of the guard's barracks [\b]. The two got off with the fighter getting what's essentially an un-enforced restraining order on him, with Sarah acting as a "witness." We then quickly left... before Sarah sent Ander back in. Why? Simple. To blame the BBEG for the theft, of course! Sarah hid on the roof, as Ander told the Captain that he saw the BBEG running out of the smithy and that Sarah was chasing him.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2015

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

The Belgian posted:

XP is probably the best edition to start with although a bit old.

I haven't heard of the 25th Anniversary Edition, but I have seen Quantum Traitor, and while it's very Paranoia-y, it's maybe not the ideal adventure to start with (the title of the adventure reflects the final revelation that whatever the PCs do is automatically wrong).

There's also the Black Book, also called Paranoia Troubleshooters. Its sample adventure is Robot Ivana, which is a good adventure as well as being Paranoia-y, but is maybe a little light on system usage or combat if you're into that kind of thing (the entire adventure is the Troubleshooters trying to work out what a malfunctioning, unknown robot does)

The only difference between XP and the Black Book is that XP uses Treason Damage at all levels, while the Black Book uses Treason Damage only at Straight level and Treason Points at the less serious levels. Basically, Treason Points mean that you can screw up a few times safely, but if you do too many minor things you're on the death list. Treason Damage means that minor screw-ups will never get you killed no matter how many you make, but a single bad screw-up or one that affects the wrong person (because people with high bureaucracy/negotiation skills can roll them to make the damage worse) can get you marked for execution instantly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Paranoia players should only die if it's funny.

Speaking of funny, last nice's WWWRPG session had some weird highlights.

--Tawni's client OOC missing the game, forcing her to do commentary (with Jesse "The Body" Ventura).
JESSE: Ya See, Tawni, those Speed Demons, they're not trustworthy-
TAWNI: Well
JESSE: And when you can't trust someone?
TAWNI: That's
JESSE: The gate is open to mistrust. Did you want to say something?

--The Outlaw Jodi Wells asking her tag team partner to work with her in a match she's already booked in:
PREP: What is it? I'm ironing my pants.
JODI: Fools done crazy.
PREP: That's what you came to tell me?

Also, the main event was a 3 on 3 cage match that ended with:
*One wrestler getting kidnapped by Raptora, the Eagle Woman
*Prep hitting his finisher perfectly;
*Tawni spraying hairspray through the bars at her rival, Jodi. Jodi then, in a spot of confusion, turned around and blasted The Prep with her finisher!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Paranoia Troubleshooters is part of the 25th Anniversary releases which also include High Programmers and Internal Security.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Dr Snofeld posted:

Paranoia Troubleshooters is part of the 25th Anniversary releases which also include High Programmers and Internal Security.

Ah, fair enough.

I'll take a moment to point out that High Programmers is awful and should be seriously ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

So after all this discussion I should still get XP right?