Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ramos posted:

Might be related to how many of us have jobs and whether or not there's nothing to do at said jobs.

As is, turns out eight hours of nothing to do leads you to post about Magic more.
That's why my tappedout.net account has a ton of stupid awful decks I've built out of pure boredom: to goldfish while at work. Too bad they don't have any way to play against other people on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I think I am going to go to like 5 live MTG events a week. I hope I don't fry my brain.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sotar posted:

I think I am going to go to like 5 live MTG events a week. I hope I don't fry my brain.

Sounds fun

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Sounds fun

The joys of living in the Seattle area.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sotar posted:

i'm jelly

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sotar posted:

After a point, you just hit a trance with the proper deck and everything becomes automatic. You'll be fine.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Does Ojutai have any potential outside of Standard? Now that he's up to $30 on average, I'm very seriously considering selling a couple of mine off. The thought of being able to turn 3 Ojutais into 4 Goblin Guides is quite appealing to me right now.

Still not sure how I managed to pull 4 on different pack opening excursions, but hey whatevs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

Does Ojutai have any potential outside of Standard? Now that he's up to $30 on average, I'm very seriously considering selling a couple of mine off. The thought of being able to turn 3 Ojutais into 4 Goblin Guides is quite appealing to me right now.

5 mana is a really big ask. He doesn't die to lightning bolt, so it is not impossible, but it seems unlikely to me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

5 mana is a really big ask.

Gotta remember it's 5 mana for a 5/4 flier with situational hexproof and the ability to get value if it hits someone.

If anything I want to put it in Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

But we've had this discussion already.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you can drop keranos at 5 instead

e: like keranos is not hexproof but is only hit by specific forms of removal if you keep him noncreature and generates value by sitting there

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Count Bleck posted:

If anything I want to put it in Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

But we've had this discussion already.

I will hold onto at least one because yes my Scion of the Ur-dragon EDH deck is coming along quite nicely thank you for the reminder

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sotar posted:

My last week: win 8 round Legacy event Saturday, win 7 round Vintage event Sunday, work 12 hours Monday, play BYOS and Vintage Goon Leagues Tuesday, casual Wednesday, win Modern Thursday, almost win Legacy Friday.

There were definitely some pretty questionable decisions later in the week.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Gotta remember it's 5 mana for a 5/4 flier with situational hexproof and the ability to get value if it hits someone.

The card is certainly powerful enough that it is possible, but even so......I would be very surprised if it saw play in modern, legacy or vintage.

I just don't see a format with Splinter Twin being a thing caring about a 5 mana creature that isn't being cheated into play somehow, or doesn't have haste. Maybe as a one of out of the board....but even then the price will still crater.

Legacy has wasteland making mana to inconsistent for a tap out 5 mana threat (that isnt being cheated into play)

And Vintage is well....Vintage. Though it would be cool if it hit vintage, its not powerful enough for the format or synergistic enough (ala Monastery Mentor) with the format to really see play.

Really the cut off for eternal play speculation is 3 mana. If the card is 3 mana or less and is incredibly powerful than go ahead and speculate on it for eternal, but 4 mana plus is an entirely different world in eternal formats. (yeah modern isnt technically eternal, but lets not be to pedantic here)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 23, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Madmarker posted:

Legacy has wasteland making mana to inconsistent for a tap out 5 mana threat (that isnt being cheated into play)

Miracles does play Baneslayer Angel in the sideboard. Although I'm not sure Ojutai would necessarily be an upgrade.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

Miracles does play Baneslayer Angel in the sideboard. Although I'm not sure Ojutai would necessarily be an upgrade.

The lifelink is pretty critical. Baneslayer is a fantastic late game drop and immediately stabilizes you against a variety of decks. Ojutai doesn't really help there, not to mention, he isn't helping keep the top three cards of your deck in order.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

The lifelink is pretty critical. Baneslayer is a fantastic late game drop and immediately stabilizes you against a variety of decks. Ojutai doesn't really help there, not to mention, he isn't helping keep the top three cards of your deck in order.

Lifelink is the entire reason you play it, because against RUG Delver and similar decks they can't remove it at all. Lifelink + First Strike means they can't combo it with bolt+critter and it dodges the batterskull hate they're likely running elsewhere.

Madmarker posted:

Really the cut off for eternal play speculation is 3 mana. If the card is 3 mana or less and is incredibly powerful than go ahead and speculate on it for eternal, but 4 mana plus is an entirely different world in eternal formats. (yeah modern isnt technically eternal, but lets not be to pedantic here)

As an addendum to this, Reanimator / Sneak and Show / etc strategies can look for things above 3 mana, but they're typically doing degenerate things to make it equivocal to 3 mana. Elesh Norn and Grizzlebees and Emrakul fail the 3 mana test, but are worth spending multiple cards + 3 mana on. In comparison, Ouijaboard is not someone you want to cast reanimate on.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

As an addendum to this, Reanimator / Sneak and Show / etc strategies can look for things above 3 mana, but they're typically doing degenerate things to make it equivocal to 3 mana. Elesh Norn and Grizzlebees and Emrakul fail the 3 mana test, but are worth spending multiple cards + 3 mana on. In comparison, Ouijaboard is not someone you want to cast reanimate on.

That's an incredible name. :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Also Baneslayer incidentally brick walls Griselbrand, which is nice.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Sheesh, and I thought I posted a lot in here. Do you guys have lives outside the thread? Also, how in the hell do you get thread stats like that?

I expect I should post here more, since I'm out of work for like three months and basically play Magic still to give myself something to not kill myself out of boredom or go insane from lack of human interaction due to cabin fever. (I'm recovering from leg surgery, weeeeee)

Of course before that I worked in a restaurant dishpit, so gently caress jerking around on internet message boards. That poo poo gets you A) under a massive pile of unwashed dishes B) fired.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
hello friends, you know what's more fun than watchin angry grimace miss jokes???? it's watching the vintage thunderdome feature match, tonight at ~8 PM EST! shops! monastery mentor! i will post a link to the stream when we're starting up!

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

That's why my tappedout.net account has a ton of stupid awful decks I've built out of pure boredom: to goldfish while at work. Too bad they don't have any way to play against other people on that.

Untap.in is where we play after drafts on tapped out

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Holy gently caress :catstare:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Goodness gracious.

e: I could have sworn I had an earlier post about Ojutai that I was going to look for, but it isn't there.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I deeply regret not getting my Ojutai earlier. I was too focused on Deathmist Raptor for my G-votion deck.

The other card I'm hotly seeking in trades right now is Icefall Regent. Nobody in my area wants to give theirs up at all. They're being hoarded and no one seems to be playing them.

Anyone going to the Open in Columbus this weekend? I'm missing it because of money reasons, but if I was going, I'd be sleeving up Gw Devotion with the Maternal Witness/Raptor combo baked in.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Angry Grimace posted:

welp, time to unload the 12 copies I've been sitting on in my MODO inventory, horray. First time I can remember making proverbial bank on MODO.

E: only to waste the tickets on cube drafts :getin:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

In a Reddit thread entitled "What's the funniest "I quit" story you have ever heard or witnessed."

:captainpop:

Also :laffo: at that comment by thenintyninthstraw

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

poo poo that didn't happen.txt

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

How is that not obvious? :iiam:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gyshall posted:

welp, time to unload the 12 copies I've been sitting on in my MODO inventory, horray. First time I can remember making proverbial bank on MODO.

E: only to waste the tickets on cube drafts :getin:

Is it possible to actually cash out on MODO or is it an ouroboros of Magic?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it possible to actually cash out on MODO or is it an ouroboros of Magic?

Basically you convert all your cards to tickets and sell the tickets to somebody through a website or something.

Edit: The only way money ever really leaves MTGO is if you do a set redemption. Then those cards are permanently devoured from the server.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

It's probably stdh but I honestly could believe it.

So I'm going to GP Toronto (:woop:), first time to such a large even (though I have played at a Competitive REL event before). Any experienced players got tips? What to bring, things to avoid, etc.? Any advice would be appreciated.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

BattleCake posted:

It's probably stdh but I honestly could believe it.

So I'm going to GP Toronto (:woop:), first time to such a large even (though I have played at a Competitive REL event before). Any experienced players got tips? What to bring, things to avoid, etc.? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to my city!

Bring your own water and snacks if you can, the GP is being held right downtown so there are lots of places to eat, but not necessarily convenient ones in between rounds. Also I like to bring my own pens and a notebook for real notes rather than having a loose collection of the backs of lifepads. Remember that you can bring outside notes and consult them between games, writing a sideboarding guide in advance helped me more than any other preparation at my last event.

If you scrub out, go to Ripley's Aquarium, it's like right next door.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

At Comp REL are you allowed to take notes for things like wrting down what they've drawn while courser is in play?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

Now I'm sad I sold my free one for 20. Oh well. Some free money is better than none.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

GP Toronto and they couldn't get Veronique Meignaud in the artist lineup? That's too bad -- I would love to have some of her work.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

BattleCake posted:

At Comp REL are you allowed to take notes for things like wrting down what they've drawn while courser is in play?

Not a judge, but I believe it goes like this:
- Anything you write down during a game, you can access during that game (cards from Courser, Thoughtseize, etc).
- Anything you already have written down is considered an "outside note" and cannot be accessed during the game. You can, however, access them between games in a match.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ah yes, the brown gambit.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
drat, Xmage stopped working. Client launches but the connect window never shows up and I can't click anything in the toolbar. Have to kill it with task manager.

Getting better with the Atarka Red I think. Went 3-0 Tuesday and had some difficult matchups, but managed to win. Still not really sure how to sideboard against R/G Dragons and Green devotion stuff.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

drat, Xmage stopped working. Client launches but the connect window never shows up and I can't click anything in the toolbar. Have to kill it with task manager.

Getting better with the Atarka Red I think. Went 3-0 Tuesday and had some difficult matchups, but managed to win. Still not really sure how to sideboard against R/G Dragons and Green devotion stuff.

What's your board looking like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Count Bleck posted:

What's your board looking like?

1 Scouring Sands
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Roast
2 Searing Blood
2 Destructive Revelry

Thinking about trying to fit a Harness by Force in there, as sometimes the matches I lose end with me having enough mana to strive it at least once, which could potentially end a game otherwise lost.

• Locked thread