Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's the same thing the movie's saying. I mean, if you had opened with "I don't like the petty and condescending, yet entirely coherent way the movie makes it point" we wouldn't even need to argue!

You and I seem to be operating on a totally different definition of the term "twist ending"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Caught Four Flies on Grey Velvet at local theatre. It was...different from what I expected. Turns out my parents watched a lot of giallo type movies when I was a kid, so this was all very familiar.

It's more likely that your parents watched a lot of Tinto Brass movies when you were a kid. They're not entirely tonally dissimilar, although generally speaking fewer people get stabbed in a Tinto Brass pic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

You and I seem to be operating on a totally different definition of the term "twist ending"

Possibly, yeah. You're the one who set up "undermines the entire movie" as a working definition, though. I'm just saying that it doesn't, not that it isn't surprising, or a sudden turn of events, or even that it's not a crappy ending for other reasons. It's more like it rubs your face in the rest of the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it undermines the movie in the sense that it shows that "actually the problem is totally under control and this isn't a new era for humanity that disassembles existing societal structures"

It's like if Night of the Living Dead ended with the zombies getting better and wandering off.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Possibly, yeah. You're the one who set up "undermines the entire movie" as a working definition, though. I'm just saying that it doesn't, not that it isn't surprising, or a sudden turn of events, or even that it's not a crappy ending for other reasons. It's more like it rubs your face in the rest of the movie.

Yeah the end of The Mist doesn't undermine anything, it just reinforces that the passiveness of the characters lead down roads in which they seal their own fate. They're largely standing by for most of the movie, while Carmody and her followers run roughshod around them. The movie makes the very specific point that the woman who is proactive and above all, hopeful, survives and finds her kids. It's why they have that whole conversation before she goes outside into what everyone thinks is certain death.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I think it undermines the movie in the sense that it shows that "actually the problem is totally under control and this isn't a new era for humanity that disassembles existing societal structures"

I didn't really feel that way about it, I don't think there's any reason to believe just because the military is fighting back and may have things somewhat under control that the world isn't changed forever. Gigantic monsters were on the loose and probably killed millions of people, poo poo is still probably hosed for the most part. The "probably" is important though, that's the message of the movie, to never give up hope.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

Because the military shows up? I don't think that proves everything is totally under control. The military are the ones who pierced the veil and hosed everything up in the first place, and it's not like the movie is shy about showing what happens to a society under siege and ruled by authoritarians. It just means we aren't all going to get eaten by aliens, maybe, at least not today.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's like if Night of the Living Dead ended with the zombies getting better and wandering off.

This is a funny comparison, because The Mist and Night of the Living Dead both end pretty much the same way: with the military coming in and imposing their own order on the monsters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is a funny comparison, because The Mist and Night of the Living Dead both end pretty much the same way: with the military coming in and imposing their own order on the monsters.

That's not accidental.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's not accidental.

which part?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My choice of example.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

My choice of example.

Your intentional choice of example isn't very good, then.

It's not as if Night of the Living Dead ended with the zombies getting better and walking away, it's as if Night of the Living Dead ended with the military showing up and quashing the zombie uprising - so, exactly how Night of the Living Dead actually ended.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I took the ending to mean that the religious lady is right and is actually communicating with God. It's just that God is evil.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe I'm an idiot but I didn't see the end of The Mist as a twist at all

Edit: Four Flies has a pretty cool twist though

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 23, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Another key difference between the story and film that is less frequently discussed is that, in the story, the main character isn't able to make it home to his wife. The road is blocked and he has to turn around.

As a whole, the original is much more bleak. It presents the unknown as beyond the scope of human action to affect, and leaves the reader with only the hope that there is something worth holding on for to be found within it. The changes made in the film allow more scope for human agency within this.

I like to think that the film is aware of Half-Life as part of the subtext of the story.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If I remember correctly Stephen King said he loved the changed ending of The Mist and wished he thought of it.

I do agree it should have spent a couple minutes to show despair and a passage of time, however.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NarkyBark posted:

If I remember correctly Stephen King said he loved the changed ending of The Mist and wished he thought of it.

This is the same guy who hated Kubrick's version of the Shining. :v:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This is the same guy who hated Kubrick's version of the Shining. :v:

i've mentioned it before, but this is something that's been blown way out of proportion. In Danse Macabre, King lists the Shining as one of the greatest horror movies ever made

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NarkyBark posted:

I do agree it should have spent a couple minutes to show despair and a passage of time, however.

Yeah the fact that it happens literally immediately after kills it for me.

And yeah, King loving loves the film of The Shining, he just doesn't think it resembles his book very much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah the fact that it happens literally immediately after kills it for me.

And yeah, King loving loves the film of The Shining, he just doesn't think it resembles his book very much.

It's also worth noting that, like most of the cast, he had a nightmare of a time during the making of, what with Kubrick constantly calling him at 3 am to ask him poo poo like whether he believed in God

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's also worth noting that, like most of the cast, he had a nightmare of a time during the making of, what with Kubrick constantly calling him at 3 am to ask him poo poo like whether he believed in God

And then telling him he was wrong.

I always trot out the Danse Macabre argument as well. But King has difficulties with it because The Shining is so much about him and his addiction issues. It's an extremely personal book. He still rates it as a horror film, just not an adaptation, and you can certainly see his point.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gunna get shitfaced and stay up all night/until I pass out watching horror movies. Any recommendations for movies to watch in that state?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
976-Evil, C.H.U.D., Decoys, Wishmaster 3 & 4, Killer Pad, Rot, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Maniac (1934), The Werewolf of Washington.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 24, 2015

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've seen this movie, although I don't remember anything about it. Is it some kind of cult classic?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like the Mist ending was some nailed-on "truth is in the middle" nonsense. Like someone really needed a scene to show having faith in a good light.

It's a huge break from the book, so I assume it was added in for some dumb reason.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kramjacks posted:

I've seen this movie, although I don't remember anything about it. Is it some kind of cult classic?
I hope not. It's just a movie that's best watched without too much attention invested.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

moths posted:

I feel like the Mist ending was some nailed-on "truth is in the middle" nonsense. Like someone really needed a scene to show having faith in a good light.

It's a huge break from the book, so I assume it was added in for some dumb reason.

It's a complete tonal whiplash from the rest of the film.

It also challenges the reality of the rest of the movie- like, that lady who left early to find her kids? Something had to happen between her leaving the market and being picked up by the military. Either she somehow survived in the mist while most people who go more than a few steps in it get horribly mutilated and killed or the military picked her up the very instant she was out of sight of the market and somehow the fact that not a hundred yards away was a store full of people who needed rescue never came up. Her survival is nonsensical given literally everything else we ever see in the film.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Pope Guilty posted:

It also challenges the reality of the rest of the movie- like, that lady who left early to find her kids? Something had to happen between her leaving the market and being picked up by the military. Either she somehow survived in the mist while most people who go more than a few steps in it get horribly mutilated and killed or the military picked her up the very instant she was out of sight of the market and somehow the fact that not a hundred yards away was a store full of people who needed rescue never came up. Her survival is nonsensical given literally everything else we ever see in the film.

Why is it less believable for her to survive for awhile in the mist than it is for the protagonist? She's just him, except she made a break from the store in time to save her family (or maybe they just weren't in visual distance of ground zero like the protagonist's wife was).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hodgepodge posted:

Why is it less believable for her to survive for awhile in the mist than it is for the protagonist? She's just him, except she made a break from the store in time to save her family (or maybe they just weren't in visual distance of ground zero like the protagonist's wife was).

It seems like if you can get to a vehicle and get moving in it your odds go up substantially. The horrific cost of getting to the vehicle for the protagonist and his group is something she seems to have been exempted from.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

That or they asked her if anyone was still in there and told them no because they let her go out alone to die.

Basebf555 posted:

This is correct. Its not about faith, its about hope. The religious leader doesn't have any hope that things will get better, she is convinced this is the end of the world.

Yepo.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That lady was loving Carol, of course she's gonna survive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

For 99% of the movie the audience has no idea what the true reality outside the store really is. The first half is of course crafted to make you feel like taking one step outside is instant death, that's part of what makes the movie scary and effective. Later on characters are able to venture further out, but some of them die because poo poo happens and they aren't as lucky as the protagonists. Its a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This probably won't be very good, but this is like a perfect check list of all my favorite Alien stuff.

Conspiracy, underground bases, aliens in cages, and interesting looking abduction scenes. I read the script a while ago and really dug some of the stuff in there. It's ultimately really dumb and implausible, but hey.

Oren Peli's Area 51.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49JI1TG5EI&t=62s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't that movie supposed to come out like 5 years ago

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's been in production since 2009 I believe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

It wasn't a twist ending, the crazy religious lady was right.

Yup.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

There's a trailer for The Visit out. It looks like some of it is from the perspective of a diegetic camera, found footage style, some of it from a first-person perspective, and some from a "normal" camera view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

Edit: or it's all found footage? Its hard to tell.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 24, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like M.Night has finally found his calling, which is apparently way off-beat comedy.

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

AHAHAHA

I thought he stopped putting his name on stuff. Must be sticking his toes back in the water?

Kramjacks posted:

There's a trailer for The Visit out. It looks like some of it is from the perspective of a diegetic camera, found footage style, some of it from a first-person perspective, and some from a "normal" camera view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

Edit: or it's all found footage? Its hard to tell.
That trailer makes it all look found footage, but with one hell of a camera, and the kid/s have some drat good cinematography skills. Kinda nice to see in a FF actually if that's really the case, makes me want to see it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really hope this is good http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/23/bruce-campbell-on-ash-vs-evil-dead-its-going-to-be-a-much-bigger-story