Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Looks like Astana might dodge the bullet, according to The Inner Ring. Quelle surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

Looks like Astana might dodge the bullet, according to The Inner Ring. Quelle surprise.

I've had the opinion that any punishment would be deferred to next year anyway to avoid sponsor problems at the big races.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Is someone going to do a new thread for the Giro?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord posted:

Is someone going to do a new thread for the Giro?

We haven't even talked about how boring Flèche was apart from Wellens' curb hopping no-hands attack.

I should have watched TroBro

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Also, what happened to PRO thread maker, Mr. Nice?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

We haven't even talked about how boring Flèche was apart from Wellens' curb hopping no-hands attack.

I should have watched TroBro

I liked him coming round the corner, jumping the curb and just, and I mean just, missing the lamp post. Could even see the 'oh poo poo' face through the grimace. But yes it was a bit dire, that climb before the final finish just served to slow down a massive group instead of splitting it up to the main contenders. Then they just dawdled up to the last 300 meters or so.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Just read that the TdF finishes on the Mur de Huy for stage three. Hopefully it won't be another slow motion sprint.

Froomey will want to stay upright for that one.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Paddyb posted:

Glad it wasn't just me. These hilly classics have been real bad lately.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Glad it wasn't just me. These hilly classics have been real bad lately.

They've all thrown more hills in to try and get some long range attacks out I dunno but they're just not working the way they want them to. Liege Baston Liege is the same, more hills added right at the end.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-to-keep-worldtour-licence

Astana to keep their World tour licence but be kept under observation.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

They've all thrown more hills in to try and get some long range attacks out I dunno but they're just not working the way they want them to. Liege Baston Liege is the same, more hills added right at the end.

Yeah I hope they can figure out a way to have them be more selective, seing Valverde and Purito right in the back fresh as ever with 500m to go is lame

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

serious gaylord posted:

Oh good, I was worried the UCI was going to have a consistent position on doping. How silly of me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah I hope they can figure out a way to have them be more selective, seing Valverde and Purito right in the back fresh as ever with 500m to go is lame

I'm not sure what they can do with them. By their nature the hills are short enough that some sprinters can even stay the distance. They'd need something like a 6-10km drag to really make it selective and make it worth going on the attack. As it is, you can get away but at most build up a few seconds of advantage which the pack will just eat back up. Hence why so few people are trying to go for it from range and why they've all been effectively mass sprints to the end.

The answer is to not just keep adding 1-2km lumps since they ultimately don't do anything.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not sure what they can do with them. By their nature the hills are short enough that some sprinters can even stay the distance. They'd need something like a 6-10km drag to really make it selective and make it worth going on the attack. As it is, you can get away but at most build up a few seconds of advantage which the pack will just eat back up. Hence why so few people are trying to go for it from range and why they've all been effectively mass sprints to the end.

The answer is to not just keep adding 1-2km lumps since they ultimately don't do anything.

Maybe they just need to be longer

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The Astana thing is a loving joke. We are already back to 'protecting the image of the sport' instead of actually trying to get rid of the cheats.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

serious gaylord posted:

There's this theory that you actually need a +/-10km flat stretch at the end to force an early start to the final because if you want to win (and your not a sprinter) you have to make a difference before that stretch and you have to use an escape to get it done.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
10 km after a lump just gives us another Milan-San remo. Amstel is ok coz it's basically a non cobbled race for sprinters who can get up hills. LBL is ok coz it's a longer climb but still leaves it open to hilly sprinters as well as puncheurs.

The problem with la flèche is that it's the same but with a hill too hard for sprinters so it's basically a climbing sprint (which is ok coz it's different, but dull to watch). But if you want a climbing classic just have a 1 day race that finishes on top of Mont Ventoux and be done with it.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Or even if you are a sprinter, you can make a move before the final 10km flat drag if your name is Kristoff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gratuitous use of slo mo camera on stage 3 of trentino. Slo mo beards.

The license commission is a pretty separate entity from the uci don't forget. I have a feeling Astana won't get a wt license next year.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the licensing entity has been a thorn in the side of the UCI chief for a while now. He knows if he forces the issue Astana will sue and win.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fleche has traditionally been a terrible race, where there's no real selection and someone wins the race up the final climb.

Now, I still love the race but it can be a bit poo poo.

The last time I remember a breakaway some American dude I can't remember his name, got away with a group of 9 riders or something. That performance was really unbelievable.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-considers-legal-action-after-henderson-accuses-astana-rider-of-cheating

Thats pretty funny.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Jus saying what everybody was thinking.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a bio passport inquiry into Aru.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Russian Bear posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a bio passport inquiry into Aru.

It wouldnt surprise me that the team noticed he was going to get popped at that race so pulled him until he's more 'normal' since its far easier to dodge out of competition testing.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Imo dropping races should be followed up with several surprise visits. That all costs money and would lose it's effectiveness p quickly once the peloton knows to expect it.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm going for J-Rod today to take the win today. Though I'd like to see Kwiatkowski win so I can post that super fan video again, I am rooting for Rodriguez.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
After a spectacular seat post failure on my ride today im actually going to be able to watch this. Every cloud I guess.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bunch of riders all over the ditch. Roche and Rolland look seriously hurt. Dan Martin on the deck too. Real bad crash. It looks like the peloton just exploded, people on both sides of the road.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Martin looked like he popped right back up. I'd like to see him have a go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Commentators think Gerrans has been hit by a car after that crash. Hes on the deck again.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Hey an attack happened and Eurosport didn't cut to commercial.

Lol never mind

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Hey an attack happened and Eurosport didn't cut to commercial.

Lol never mind

My fave was when a rider went on the attack and they cut to that UCI 'Dont be idiots and run next to cyclist' safety vid

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Astana really want this. To prove that they aren't dopers or something.

A man is trying to hand the peloton a small baby

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No Kiwatkowski fan vid today.

I've really enjoyed Astana having multiple riders look super strong all day. Really putting those rumours to bed.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Bye bye

Scratch that. Nice job Val

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

what a shame :(

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I was really hoping that Alaphillippe would get the win, 2nd isn't bad at all for a 22 year old who hadn't finished a classic before Amstel Gold this year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was really hoping Moreno would win and become the 2nd katusha winner because the other riders are retarded.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Screw Valverde. I wanted Alaphillipe to win that real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Too bad more of the younger guys couldn't step up.