Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The giants wanted to build a wall around Asgard. A dwarf (I think it was a dwarf in the version I heard) came to the court of Odin with his horse and offered to build the whole thing, but in exchange he wanted Odin's wife, Frigga. Odin was of two minds on this, because on the one hand, you get a sweet wall, but he tended to get really possessive of Frigga, and she'd probably be super pissed if he traded her to a dwarf. He is conflicted, until Loki tells Odin to stipulate a time limit - the dwarf would have to build the entire wall in a summer. The gods assume this to be impossible, so Frigga can stay and they'll get a sweet wall.

As the end of summer approaches, the wall nears completion, and Odin gets kind of antsy. He orders Loki to figure out how the dwarf is getting all this work done in such a short amount of time. So Loki shapeshifts and spies on the dwarf and his horse, only to discover that the Horse is magical - it brings stone as fast as the dwarf needs it and seemingly works tirelessly. So if the horse is the problem, you just gotta get that out of the picture. So Loki shape shifts into a beautiful mare (yes, a mare) and when the overworked, undersexed magical horse sees this mare he's like 'gently caress this wall bullshit' and runs off into the meadow after her. The dwarf is pissed, Frigga gets to stay, and the Asgardians got (most of) their wall.

After all this is done, Loki returns to Asgard with a foal, because when he was a mare he let that magic horse gently caress him and he became pregnant with, and birthed, a foal. Everybody's just kinda like :stonklol: until Odin is like "this is a totally sweet horse, and i'm gonna name it Sleipnir.' It is in this way that Odin's horse is also his grandson.

The deal was for the sun, moon, and Freya (not Frigga). Loki was the one in trouble because he is the one who agreed the giant could maintain use of the workhorse, Svaldifari (where the horse was the one who ended up doing most of the work). Also, after the horse runs off and the "dwarf" can't get it back, he loses his temper and reveals himself as a giant, at which point the Norse gods call on Thor to kill him. Also, Odin and Loki are blood brothers; Sleipnir is not Odin's grandson, he is his nephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Terrorforge posted:

Isn't Snorri pretty much the only source on ancient norse mythology we have? The oldest, at any rate. Yeah, everything about Loki the Cosmic rear end in a top hat, Baldr's absurd niceness, Odin's martyrdom etc. reeks of Christianization, but we don't have any comprehensive tellings of those myths that aren't several centuries out of date.

There's the Prose Edda (Snorri's), the Poetic Edda (authorship unknown), and references in the Sagas.

The Prose Edda is the younger one, written sometime in the early 1200s. For many centuries, this was the only version known. They re-discovered a copy of the Poetic Edda in the 1600s, which is about a hundred years older than Snorri's, I think? We don't know who wrote it. The Prose Edda is far more readable than the Poetic Edda, which has a lot of gaps and was never meant as a complete resource.

Slime posted:

From what I remember, this is because norse mythology was mostly passed down orally. People just told eachother stories from mythology but didn't necessarily write it all down, and it fell out of favour when christianity arrived. There probably used to be more written down, but written records get damaged even when people are trying to look after them properly, let alone if they don't really give a poo poo.

Yeah, veeeeeery limited literacy. And Snorri's version is intentionally written in a clever, roundabout way to keep it from being destroyed.

Anyway, Norse literature is definitely worth reading and sometimes really funny.

quote:

There is one other example of flyting, this time from the Morkinskinna, the Earliest Chronicles of the Kings of Norway. In one of the žįttr, or interpolated short stories in the chronicles, the snegu-Halla žįttr, the main character Halla, a skald is confronted by King Harald, who shows him a fine knife. Harald asks if Halla has ever seen a better and then asks if Halla would become soršinn (his bitch) in order to get possession of the knife. Of course, this should outrage Halla, but he coolly replies, “No, but I see no harm in you selling it the same way you bought it.”

Another example of the verbal jousting betweenHarald and Halla takes place when Harald first arrives in Iceland. Halla greets him and Harald tells Halla that he heard that Halla had been soršinn for Agši, a local farmer. Halla quickly replies, “No he wanted a better man and decided to wait until you arrived.”

Pick has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Apr 23, 2015

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

http://worldofblackout.blogspot.com/2012/02/jet-set-windu-2-deeper-dungeons.html

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oh my god

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

until I saw the eraser I thought she-Joker was smoking a FATTY fuckin blunt

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

I was scrolling down, thinking "huh, what a weird idea for fanart" until I got to the bottom. Even if I'm being super cynical, it's still really cool that he went through the effort.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So hey, I know I'm about a page late on this, but in light of all the cool Norse mythology chat can someone post a mythology thread?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got that picture of Shrek and Shadow together? I managed to find it, but it lacking the text boxes.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

here you go buddy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Courtesy of Amales. The well goes deeper.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Mass Ferret thing is still one of my favorite "ridiculously weird done well" fanart series.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I think you mean 'RackMan'.:heysexy:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Invictus posted:

The Mass Ferret thing is still one of my favorite "ridiculously weird done well" fanart series.

Agreed. Here's something that's almost the same.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That only like 4 of the characters are genderswapped and Roll isn't a buff dude makes this suck :colbert:

edit: HOLY gently caress RUSH :stare:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

LoonShia posted:

Agreed. Here's something that's almost the same.

Really missed a great opportunity here by not making him a Mongoose :colbert:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Mongooses aren't even from the same family as ferrets. They're hugely different animals, why don't you know your mustelid facts?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Invictus posted:

I love how Garrus's face is virtually unchanged.

Also, have some 40K; it's an oldie but a goodie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

gonna need a source

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hubris.height posted:

gonna need a source

http://orkimides.deviantart.com

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two great(?) tastes that go great(???) together

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

At this point, nothing surprises me :shepface:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Two great(?) tastes that go great(???) together

Maybe this Goku will pay more attention to his son.

SirPhoebos posted:

People are still surprised that MLP is getting smushed together with just about everything? Bronies have about as much restraint as desperate, horny weirdoes (but I repeat myself):

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Lu Bu as Red Hare as a pony, that's deep...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:frog:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

These are figurines

also have some of this stuff idgaf ranging best to worst

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe a little late to the horse-loving loki chat, but

New thread title?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Bitch please, hulk's power level is pretty much infinite cause he can just get angrier.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
how bout that fanart

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He can talk, but all he can say is "omelette de fromage".

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

how bout that fanart

More or less weird for not being so unique?

"Ultimate Cyborg Snow White" here comes with a story

This is apparently an actual a thing you could buy if for some reason you felt so inclined

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Bitch please, hulk's power level is pretty much infinite cause he can just get angrier.

You act like no one has ever beaten The Hulk.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Fun fact: this picture actually got Space Coyote a job working on the Simpsons comic book.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You act like no one has ever beaten The Hulk.

The superman fight was a joke :colbert:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread